PDA

View Full Version : Creating items with metamagic feats

jguy
2010-11-23, 07:57 PM
Okay, I am confused on one part of the "Create magical items" thing. Okay, say I want to make a scroll of magic missile, but I want it to be a Maximized Magic Missile. For simplicities sake, we'll just have it be a level 1 MM.

Now the formula for making a scroll is Spell Level X Caster Level X 25

A regular MM scroll would be 1 x 1 x 25 = 25g.

What confuses me is where do I apply the +3 spell slot. Do I apply it to Spell level, Caster Level, or both? If it is a spell level 4, since the metamagic makes it a spell level 4, will it remain CL 1? Or am I forced to make the CL a minimum of 7 since that is when a caster gets 4th level slots?

So will the formula be either:

4 x 1 x 25
1 x 4 x 25
4 x 7 x 25

I could use your guy's help

Keld Denar
2010-11-23, 08:00 PM
It would be 4 x 7 x 25.

You have to have the minimum CL of the metamagic'ed spell in order to cast it. The min CL for a 4th level spell is 7. You could always cast it at a higher level, but that would make it more expensive.

jguy
2010-11-23, 08:03 PM
Oh that is bad to hear. At that point it'd be easier just to cast a 4th level spell, like Orbs, then try to add in a metamagic to it. Shoot, that makes my Artificer a little harder to make cool items.

Keld Denar
2010-11-23, 08:05 PM
The trick to an artificer is to apply metamagic AFTER you make the item. Like, the Metamagic Effect ability, or Metamagic Wand Grips or similar.

jguy
2010-11-23, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I know of the ability, I was just hoping to be able to just apply it to an item for slightly cheaper so I don't have to try to apply the feat every round. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Oh, quick question. If I have an item that has a continuous Channel Lifetheft spell on it, does that mean the first time I use it it'll activate like its been charging for 2 rounds, and then 2 rounds later I can do it again? A literal "I be chargin my lazers"

Galsiah
2010-11-23, 09:49 PM
Well, it could be worth it if you applied metamagic like empower or maximize to a spell that scales just as well as a higher level spell, thus meaning CL will be the same yet you'd still get more out of the spell. Just a thought.

ericgrau
2010-11-23, 10:08 PM
Oh that is bad to hear. At that point it'd be easier just to cast a 4th level spell, like Orbs, then try to add in a metamagic to it. Shoot, that makes my Artificer a little harder to make cool items.

Ya magic missile is a bit low on damage output but the advantage is that it always hits even under tough circumstances. It's extremely rare for a creature to carry a defense. Usually it'd have to be a DM response to knowing that you use the spell a lot and even then that severely limits the DM's options so he won't do it much. But if you want straight damage then pick another spell and maybe vary the energy types so even though you might not hit at least you can get around energy resistance.