PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Battle Maneuvers question.

WinceRind
2010-11-23, 08:55 PM
I've only recently started reading Tome of Battle...

It is quite awesome, and everything, but I don't understand one crucial aspect of it.

So different Disciplines have different weapons and generally they all share unarmed attack, and some others. But unarmed attack is available to all...

The book, however, doesn't seem to have anything on whether you actually need to have a specific discipline-bound weapon in hand to use some of it's maneuvers.

Do you HAVE to have a specific discipline weapon to initiate a stance or a boost from it? Or is it just for the strikes? Or is it just a bit of fluff with no real effect on gameplay?

Because I've searched through the entire book and didn't find anything that specifically said "Yes, you HAVE to have a weapon from this discipline's list to use its maneuvers"

In short: Can I initiate Tiger Claw stances or boosts while holding a quarterstaff? Or strike, for that matter?

Thanks.

Tael
2010-11-23, 09:04 PM
Yes. Weapon does not matter except for a few class abilities, like the Swordsage's Discipline Focus.

Keld Denar
2010-11-23, 09:10 PM
Yea, weapon choice is mostly irrelevant. A few things like Shadow Blade, or most of the Bloodclaw Master abilities, matter, but most of it doesn't.

You can boost Dancing Mongoose just as easily with a greatsword + armor spikes as you can with a pair of short swords.

WinceRind
2010-11-23, 09:11 PM
Yes. Weapon does not matter except for a few class abilities, like the Swordsage's Discipline Focus.

Sweet, thanks!

I don't have to worry about having to be unarmed to use most available maneuvers from different disciplines then.