PDA

View Full Version : Favorite class

BIGMamaSloth
2010-11-23, 10:44 PM
just a little survey i was wondering what everyones favourite class/archtype is to play? also (optional) why?

LOTRfan
2010-11-23, 10:49 PM
Well, obviously barbarian//wizard gestalt. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, though, that is a rather hard question to answer. I generally choose class after fleshing my character out a little, so its more like an afterthought. I will admit, though, I tend to have rangers and melee types.

Mongoose87
2010-11-23, 10:50 PM
I loves me some Crusader, I doeses.

BIGMamaSloth
2010-11-23, 10:52 PM
I know its hard say favorite especially with how i (and i know other people do it this way too) create charecters. I usually end up coming up with a concept, then backstory then making a sheet. :smalltongue:

you could always just say the class you've had the most fun with.

Glyde
2010-11-23, 10:53 PM
I like Favored Soul quite a bit.

Drakevarg
2010-11-23, 10:54 PM
Fighter. Yes, really. Or maybe TWF Ranger, so I can have skill points without sucking in close combat.

Callista
2010-11-23, 10:54 PM
Toss-up between Rogue and Paladin.

wayfare
2010-11-23, 10:56 PM
Incarnate or Psychic Warrior

CockroachTeaParty
2010-11-23, 10:59 PM
Most fun class I ever played was an Ultimate Magus. I'd say wizard, but Ultimate Magus specifically is my favorite; I just love the flexibility and staying power.

I suppose arcane casters are my favorite archetype, but I've also got a soft spot for rogues and scoundrels. I rarely play primary melee fighters. I like characters that can get by with their wits and minds, rather than their muscle alone.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-23, 11:02 PM
I only ever play Cleric, so I guess that one. The one I want to play most is Shadowcaster from ToM; its the closest to what I would want a magic system to feel like.

Morbis Meh
2010-11-23, 11:04 PM
I am really enjoying my DMM cleric, but I am interested to try a Warblade.

Merk
2010-11-23, 11:06 PM
Factotum. If restricted to Core, Bard.

Blue Ghost
2010-11-23, 11:10 PM
Bard, Paladin, and Wizard.

Angry Bob
2010-11-23, 11:14 PM
I have character ADD, but seem to gravitate towards melee characters with natural attacks that don't suck.

Lev
2010-11-23, 11:21 PM
Melee

All characters I make are just a means to improve my own IRL strengths.

I'm a pretty strong mesomorphic guy IRL, a fire and circus performer and a fire fighter in training.

Because of that, most of my characters tend to attack with physical means, if not then with walls, clouds or fire. I tend to like Dancing Chains over Fireball and I tend to like to grapple over using a sword. Most of my characters abilities that aren't obscure forces like the walls, clouds and fire are nonlethal, because as much as I realize that we gotta pull out the big hammer and slay the dragon sometimes, most of the time I'd prefer to not kill at all. I guess this is due to how important actual weaponry and martial arts is in my life, and I can not imagine killing someone in my urban lifestyle, it just seems so odd and out of place for my characters to want to injure people, even if it means using paladin smiting abilities, which is why I never play paladins.

I prefer parkour and skillful means over flight, I prefer an airship over a horse, I prefer hands over weapons, hammers over weapons, and monkeys, lions and boars over most animals.

I really hate carrying things, as I do IRL. If I had to pay $10,000 for a handy haversack IRL even if commonplace, I'd do it. I love to have stuff with me but I hate carrying it.

Funny thing is, I find monk really really stale even though I hang around with monks all the time (taoist, not buddhist), unarmed swordsage doesn't have the same feel, and I find that DnD is just so western approach that as much as they try to make "gentle way" internal martial artists they inherently fail at it due to lack of actual understanding of where all the sources in the Kung Fu movies "magic" come from. Watching 20-100 movies where bagua training is hinted (but still called kung fu), reading books and wikipedia on the subject, meeting masters and watching tai chi and qigong, perhaps even doing all of these things a little bit will NOT prepare you at all to flesh out a character in the 3.0 or 3.5 systems, they simply do not work. It takes 50 years to master them, to even become close to gaining real power you need to start when you are a toddler under masters and constantly follow a precise IRL minmaxed path until you are 55-60.

This is a decent example of what a "high level" internal martial artist is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnUDkCQ0WU

Mind you, he's not using a strength or dex modifier for the trip attempts, he's using more along the lines of a balance check with a wisdom modifier to improve it, and using that in place of a BAB... kind of, not really, but that's the closest way to put it in dndspeak.

SilverClawShift
2010-11-23, 11:40 PM
Rogue.

For all of my verbal flourishes and unnecessary exposition, I'm a total sucker for non-cerebral pursuits. Especially if they involve leather, slinky precise motions, and general rogue sexy stuff like stealing shiny baubles and rigging buildings to collapse while the tough guys babble about swords and brawn...

Factotum is pretty much the best class ever, because it's a rogue that can cast spells. If I had to pick one class that'd be my 'forever' class, it's be factotum. Or Binder. Factotum or binder.

maysarahs
2010-11-23, 11:46 PM
I am fairly new to D&D (only played in 3 games) and have played a wizard 1-3 and then a Wizard 10 (we started at 10) (I DM'ed the third game) I really enjoy the flavor of wizard (I won't lie, and the power too!) but I want to play a finesse-y fighter (something like Jack B. Quick) for the flavor. My only experiences however have been with the mindblowing awesome that is the Sor/Wiz Spell list

zyborg
2010-11-23, 11:51 PM
Rogue or cleric.

Curmudgeon
2010-11-24, 12:01 AM
Rogue. It's nowhere near the full spellcasting classes for power, which means you can generally optimize without any constraints and still be fine. It starts out a bit wimpy in combat, but there are plenty of ways to fix that problem. It's a skillmonkey class, which means there are lots of things for a Rogue character do outside of combat. I hate just being along for the ride in social situations/exploration/combat, and the Rogue is the anodyne for that malady.

Assassin89
2010-11-24, 12:06 AM
I prefer clerics, bards and rogues.

I prefer the support role, as there are times when standing out causes the most harm to others.

Aron Times
2010-11-24, 12:10 AM
For 3.5, it's the sorcerer. It's powerful, but not overwhelmingly so like the wizard. It also gets lots of splatbook support unlike its more specialized brethren (warmage, beguiler, etc.).

In 4e, it's a toss-up between the warlord, the wizard, the swordmage, the sorcerer, and the psion. If I had to pick one, it would be the warlord. But the psion would come in really close.

Antonok
2010-11-24, 12:20 AM
Druid will always be my fav class. Game breaking I know, but I usually make my druids more non wild shape melee with spells as back up. A very close second tho would be a gnome hexblade/blade bravo that ended up going insane and tpking the party. stupid insanity rules. I just recently brought him back as a swordsage/blade bravo and RLY liking him.

Eon
2010-11-24, 12:24 AM
Only played 4th with understanding the rules. I've had 2 characters. An archer ranger, and a controller druid. Druid was fun. Push, pull, push, pull...

Gnorman
2010-11-24, 12:27 AM
Int-based casters - Archivist, Psion, and especially Wizard. But I do also have a soft spot for skill monkeys, so Factotum and Beguiler are also in my top 5.

Basically, I like playing nerds.

Chambers
2010-11-24, 12:40 AM
I don't know about favored class, but I like to play skilled characters that can do neat tricks. Whether that's having spells or a breath weapon or a special fighting style depends on what role I want the character to fulfill.

I also really like spies and sneaky characters. Magic is fun to play around with, but I prefer the mundane ways to disguise, hide and bluff the information and McGuffin, even if in epic levels 'mundane' means hiding other people in your shadow.

So...Beguiler is a good class, as is Factotum. I also likes warriors, but I prefer my homebrew melee classes to the Core classes or ToB.

Morithias
2010-11-24, 12:44 AM
Rogue. People go on and on about wizards, but rogues are the most powerful if one can roleplay. Need to get a caster away from you? Well...forgery. Most powerful and overlooked skill in the book. (Seriously it isn't a class skill for any core class but expert and rogue).

Dracons
2010-11-24, 12:46 AM
Duskblade, Swordsage, Wizard, Paladin.

I love play gish types. But few come to the type I really want (Heavy Armor, Big sword, Powerful dark blasting magic).

Safety Sword
2010-11-24, 12:48 AM
Wizard -> Archmage for class.

However my favorite character was probably a ranger.

Probably had more to do with the campaign than the character perhaps...

Southern Cross
2010-11-24, 12:59 AM
Depends on the game being played.
Arcana Evolved: Magister. I don't want to play Raistlin or Elminster,I'd rather play Gandalf or Merlin,and the magister is probably closest D & D ever came to having a proper wizard class.
Core D & D: Wizard. Probably a diviner with Illusion and Necromancy as barred schools,or a generalist.
Pathfinder: As above,or (if the Advanced Players Guide is usable in the campaign) a Witch,probably with the Elements Pact. An INT-based full caster with healing spells, spell-like abilities (including the ability to cackle)?
Yes please.

CodeRed
2010-11-24, 01:01 AM
I may be a masochist. I have to admit that my favorite class in 3.5 would have to be the Monk. I know it's terrible but I have always had fun playing one. A close second however would be my very first character, the Paladin.

I played an Exalted Monk/Fighter who eventually got the Saint Template and later became a god. (Large campaign with three DM's under the direction of one head guy. When he tired of his homebrew setting, all the characters playing in it were made gods to replace the current pantheons which had in turn replaced the Greyhawk deities.) We later picked the campaign back up with new toons and I had the joy of playing a Paladin who worshipped my former character.

Eloel
2010-11-24, 01:08 AM
I may be a masochist. I have to admit that my favorite class in 3.5 would have to be the Monk.

This, actually. The concept behind Monk is one I love. The mechanics :smallyuk:

Tashalatora to the rescue! (That makes my favorite class Psychic Warrior, to anyone who doesn't know Tashalatora feat)

Artemis97
2010-11-24, 01:13 AM
Oh, I do love my sneaky backstabbing characters. Rogues, Bards, and Rangers that progress into Assassins or Shadowdancers. And, though they aren't classes, they do play strongly into my love of Dex-based builds, I play elves a lot. I may also have an unhealthy fascination with Drow. But they aren't Drizzt clones. The closest I've gotten was, yes, a dual wielding ranger, but he's possibly the most evil thing I've ever created.

The Shadowmind
2010-11-24, 01:24 AM
Factotum or Binder.

Aron Times
2010-11-24, 01:34 AM
This, actually. The concept behind Monk is one I love. The mechanics :smallyuk:

Tashalatora to the rescue! (That makes my favorite class Psychic Warrior, to anyone who doesn't know Tashalatora feat)
In 4e, Wizards cut out the middleman and made monks psionic. Which makes a lot of sense, since their fluff WAS basically mind over matter, i.e. psionics.

Monk = Psionic Striker
Psion = Psionic Controller
Battlemind = Psionic Defender
Ardent = Psionic Leader

Psyren
2010-11-24, 03:18 AM
Ardent, with Binder a close second.

I'd love to try Kyeudo's Truenamer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9803366) in a game though.

LordBlades
2010-11-24, 03:33 AM
Druid: I just love being able to contribute in almost every coenviable sitation.

Gish builds come a very close second. There's just something fascinating for me in blending magic with swordplay. But that's not a class :smallsmile: Except for duskblade, which I never liked for some reason (probaby has something to do with my disdain of damage-dealing magic).

Heksefatter
2010-11-24, 03:51 AM
I am a wizardly type in almost all game systems. Where this is not possible, I will often be an academic/smooth talker character. In one I was a crooked doctor, in another a tacky priest and in my current game an academically inclined journalist with marxist leanings.

Crossblade
2010-11-24, 04:44 AM
Rogues.
Being sneaky and light on one's feet. Having a ton of skills are a great way to get around things... and if you don't want to get around things, you can still set up cleaver distractions to help your friends smash. Hide, Move Silent, Sleight of Hand.
Never been one for the charisma side of the skills though. Leave that to the bard, let him get the attention, hiding in the shadows is fine for me.

And yet, despite all the rogue types I've played, I've never been the kleptomaniac thief role. Always Good/Neutral leaning towards good alignment.
Not a fan of the crossbow either, which despite the sneaky skills' use of Dex, is counter intuitive, I know.

dsmiles
2010-11-24, 05:49 AM
I am truly a Rogue at heart. I love both the Sneaky McSneakster role and the party face role. Rogues do both well.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-24, 05:57 AM
Gish. Specifically a TWF, twin longsword wielding Gish.

Amphetryon
2010-11-24, 06:31 AM
Dread Necromancer, Psychic Warrior, Hexblade*, Wilder, Scout.

*Only if I get to use Mearls' fix (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466) (which WotC's reformatted boards makes ugly as sin to read)

Gerrtt
2010-11-24, 07:21 AM
Druid was my first character and I loved it before I knew what it was fully capable of.

I still love it now that I know what it's capable of doing and undoing in a six second round.

Greenish
2010-11-24, 07:34 AM
I most prefer Magic Knight (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicKnight) style stuff (like RKV) or sneaky casters (beguiler, US).

I like skills and melee and spells. :smalleek: Hard to name just one class.

Maybe… swiftblade?

riddles
2010-11-24, 07:55 AM
bard. gotta love making everyone else awesome.

Killer Angel
2010-11-24, 08:20 AM
Favourite: ranger.
connection with nature, advanced scout, self-sufficient, lots of skills, good utilities outside combat, and even a good front-liner (especially when I optimize better then the rest of my group).
Low tier, but enough fun for me.

The less appealing to me, it's the Bard. Never played one, in almost 25 years.

true_shinken
2010-11-24, 08:39 AM
I most prefer Magic Knight (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicKnight) style stuff (like RKV) or sneaky casters (beguiler, US).

Maybe… swiftblade?
I feel your pain, dude.

My favorite? Tough call. I like a lot of classes.
From core, I usually pick a Bard or Sorcerer, sometimes multiclassed, because I like melee. The core-only cared I enjoyed the most was an elf sorcerer gishing it out with buff spells and a longsword. It worked surprisingly well. I like sorcerers mainly for the fluff; I have a soft spot for dragons and having magic in your blood sounds really badass.

Since I like gishes, it goes without saying that I love the Duskblade. I never actually got to play one in a campaign, though.

I have a thing for Warlocks and their unlimited magic. Because it's cool. Warlock oozes cool. Of course, my love for melee and Warlocks show in my Guide to Melee Warlocks. (You should check it - I recently updated!/shameless plug)

Also, I love having lots of skills and high Dex. I try to get that in all my characters. For that reason, I'm fond of all skillmonkeys, but Spellthief atracts me the more because of the 'I can do anything' appeal.

I have a confession to make: I watched too much japanese live action as a kid. That means anything with laser blades is automatically awesome aunder my radar. So I love the Soulknife with a passion. They have most of my favorite skills, a d10 hit dice and a laser sword. You gotta love them. Yeah, they might be underpowered, whatever. I don't care. I love Soulknives and I'd actually play one as written anytime.

So, in no particular order, Sorcerer, Bard, Duskblade, Warlock, Soulknife and Spellthief. That's a lot of classes.

FMArthur
2010-11-24, 08:41 AM
Ardents are basically the perfect gishes in my eyes; they can support, blast and smash all in one build without ever taking over the job of anyone who does just one of those things, and yet focusing on one of those things makes them actually good at it, and not "good ...for an Ardent". I just like the modular nature of the class I guess.

Eldariel
2010-11-24, 09:12 AM
Swordsage/Factotum/Beguiler/Bard-line. I like my skills, damnit! And it's not too borked either. In fact, I don't think I've played a class with less than base 6+Int/level skills in a long time. Cloistered Cleric falls in there too. Overall, I generally am a sucker for Master-Of-All-Trades types with good magic, good martial prowess and lots of skills. Or at least 2-of-the-three.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-11-24, 09:23 AM
I am a gish-builder; I like to have some psionics/magic in with my melee...

Talashatora Carmendine Monk / Psion is one of my favorites.
Swordsage is always fun as a skillmonkey; especially with the wonderful typo that we do have in effect.

In the Pathfinder universe, the Inquisitor and new Monk are pretty self-sustaining. Yes, the new Monk. The flurry of blows eventually gets a higher attack bonus than your BAB. :) Plus all the Ki abilities and the variant Ki Mystic Monk from the Advanced Players Guide makes it that much more fun.

Since the new Pathfinder Psionics rules are almost done (yay Dreamscarred!!!) I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the new Soulknife. It FINALLY has a full BAB and tons more abilities that it can do. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2010-11-24, 09:30 AM
Since the new Pathfinder Psionics rules are almost done (yay Dreamscarred!!!) I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the new Soulknife. It FINALLY has a full BAB and tons more abilities that it can do. :smallbiggrin:

DSP is doing Pathfinder Psionics?? :smalleek:

*nerdgasm*

thompur
2010-11-24, 09:35 AM
Warlock! Love the 'go all day, don't have to keep track of resources, but still get to do cool stuff' thing!

Also, Binder! Lot's of fun, even if, or because, you make a poor pact!

Ruinix
2010-11-24, 09:42 AM
by fluff rogish type.
by power wise druid

Emmerask
2010-11-24, 09:51 AM
Swordsage, almost any build will be better with a dip in swordsage :smalltongue:

Fhaolan
2010-11-24, 11:24 AM
Ranger, Bard, Druid, in that order.

I want to be clear here, though, I'm more into the fluff than the mechanics as my games span editions.

Toliudar
2010-11-24, 12:00 PM
Cloistered cleric. Models so many different things well, and can be built to do SO many different things.

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-24, 12:09 PM
Barbarian. No questions asked. I've played Gnome Frenzied Berserkers, Shifter Runescarred Berserkers, Goliath Half-Minotaur Frostrager/Fist of the Forests, plain ol' vanilla Human Barbarians... There are few joys in life greater than the look of fear on the party wizard's face when I tell him that I'm out of enemies, still frenzying, still have 2 attacks left, and he's within reach of my guisarme.

The-Mage-King
2010-11-24, 12:15 PM

Maybe… swiftblade?

Same here, friend, though I tend towards the Psionic side of the "caster" range.

So... Warblade/Psion, or Factotum, or just a normal Warblade or Psion.

Typically with the Dark (ToM) template added to whatever race I choose if I need stealth.

Remmirath
2010-11-24, 12:37 PM
Depends on the edition.

For 1st and 2nd edition, thief was my favourite class, followed by magic-user and fighter in a tie.

For 3rd edition, I still like rogues, but not as much. Sorcerer is probably my favourite class (assuming certain house rules to remove the debilitating meta-magic penalties, otherwise wizard), then followed by fighter and rogue.
The only classes where I've never had a single character using that class that I've liked have been druid and monk. There's just something about them that I can't quite get behind, concept-wise.

For MERP, I generally prefer warrior and scout, or sometimes bard (I hold that mage has too much magic to really fit into the setting most times - bard's pushing it already).

I guess I'm fairly consistent about the three I like, then, it's just that they take a different order. I tend to like characters who either backstab and do skill stuff, fight, or do magic, and usually not a combination (although there are exceptions). If I go for multiclass, it's almost always some form of fighter/mage.

Otherworld Odd
2010-11-24, 12:47 PM
Psion, hands down. In 3.5 at least. In Pathfinder, I guess Rogue but that's just because it's all I've played in PF besides Inquisitors, and I hated them -.-...

I really want to try out a psychic rogue but my DM is on this "psions are broken" trip that seems so rampant after I made an indestrucible psion casting recall death four times every round. -.-. Plus I was only the real caster in the party besides a cleric who got stuck there because no one else wanted to play one. (And she was brand new to the game on top of that.)

I didn't like my Inquisitor so much I committed suicide.

mangosta71
2010-11-24, 12:50 PM
Rogue. In every edition of every RPG I've ever played (and even non-RP games), I gravitate toward the sneaky, back-stabbing type. My preferences lean very strongly toward tricks instead of raw power, and I can't live without stealth.

The most fun I ever had with a character, though, goes to a swashbuckler/psion (nomad)/elocator. So MOBILE!

Thefurmonger
2010-11-24, 12:59 PM
Beguiler, hands down.

If stuck with core then Bard.

Ernir
2010-11-24, 01:01 PM
Swordsage.

~Nye~
2010-11-24, 01:02 PM
I like Wizard, Rogue, Bard and Cleric in that order. I normally play whatever is needed most for our group to function well. I've never really played a full martial class. Cleric is fun, but I feel like I'm too uber.

Eldonauran
2010-11-24, 01:35 PM
Duskblade, hands down. I get my melee and my magic all in one, without all the excessive multiclassing and prestige qualifying it takes to make a gish.

Add arcane disciple, an exalted feat (or paladin multiclass) and a handful of other feats from Tome of Battle/Magic of Incarnum, and you get a very pleased player on my end.

That's my favorite. A Paladin-esque (exalted) Duskblade with a handful of other neat side tricks. I don't even need a weird race with that combo to have tons of fun.

Another enjoyable character: Anything Chameleon.

El Dorado
2010-11-24, 01:45 PM
Bard. I enjoy roleplaying social-oriented characters with magical powers. Bards have a wide variety of tools at their disposal. You fight moderately well, cast some spells, have a broad selection of potential skills, interact well with NPCs---it's very hard to get bored with the class.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-24, 01:48 PM
Bard. I enjoy roleplaying social-oriented characters with magical powers. Bards have a wide variety of tools at their disposal. You fight moderately well, cast some spells, have a broad selection of potential skills, interact well with NPCs---it's very hard to get bored with the class.

See, I don't do well playing support characters. I only play Bards if I get to use inane Perform skills like (Micro-management lecture) or (the Gnome's Head as a bongo).

Psyren
2010-11-24, 02:08 PM
I just can't get behind Bards. Everytime I think of playing one I realize I want to play them for one specific reason, and end up with a Beguiler, Sorcerer, Shugenja or even Truenamer instead.

I know they can be played very effectively but they're just not for me.

The exception is Sublime Chord, and even then I'm just in it for a fast-progression sorcerer to combine with Eldritch Theurge or something.

darbythegambler
2010-11-24, 02:09 PM
my favorite has to be the Psion. There has never been a campaign where my Psion did not do well. A second favorite is the Samurai, because I just love the fact that i've had numerous samurais that actually did better than the rest of the party in my group :smalltongue:

randomhero00
2010-11-24, 02:13 PM
homebrew :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2010-11-24, 02:18 PM
Illusionist, be that a Wizard, Sorceror, Bard, whatever.

I also like skill based chars, provided the game supports them (like has terrain:smallsigh:)
Rogue, Ranger, etc.

Eldariel
2010-11-24, 02:20 PM
Illusionist, be that a Wizard, Sorceror, Bard, whatever.

I also like skill based chars, provided the game supports them (like has terrain:smallsigh:)
Rogue, Ranger, etc.

My friend, you really need to get a copy of Player's Handbook II and introduce yourself to the Beguiler. It is everything you like in one compact class! An Illusionist/Enchanter with great skills and Int-based casting for even more skills! Factotum, too. But it's not an Illusionist, just really skilled guy with some spells. So...yeah. Beguiler!

Antonok
2010-11-24, 02:51 PM
I just can't get behind Bards. Everytime I think of playing one I realize I want to play them for one specific reason, and end up with a Beguiler, Sorcerer, Shugenja or even Truenamer instead.

I know they can be played very effectively but they're just not for me.

The exception is Sublime Chord, and even then I'm just in it for a fast-progression sorcerer to combine with Eldritch Theurge or something.

I know exactly how you feel. Only bard I've ever made was a half orc bard/evangilist that went around preaching peace between orcs and elves. even had an 'I have a dream' speech wrote out for him. never did get to play him tho. might have to bring him back...