PDA

View Full Version : ToeJam and Earl: The Game of Tears

Trobby
2010-11-23, 11:31 PM
So, for those of you who don't remember, Toejam and Earl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ToeJam_%26_Earl) is a 1990's pastiche of funk and crazyness where two alien buddies have to find their rocket ship pieces and get back home.

It is a co-op game, so two people can play as the two aliens at once to try to beat it.

This week, my girlfriend and I decided to give it a try. We were doing pretty good.

Then she accidentally used the randomizer, randomly changing all the presents we had found.

Then we got to level 23, with the phantom ice cream trucks that devoured all our extra lives.

And finally, on level 25, we checked every single map edge we could reach, and could not find the exit.

This game...this game is hard. It is full of tears and misery and despair.

...God I love this game so damn much. <3

zyborg
2010-11-23, 11:48 PM
Yeah, it is awesome! I like it much better than its sequel, Panic On Funkotron(?). Not even the same genre. Anyways, its one of those games that I played it once, and HATED it! And years later, I played it again, and got addicted to it. I felt it was too slow the first time I played it, then I came back and realized why they made it slow. It's not Sonic, for Thor's sakes. It's a... I don't know what to call it. I've heard some describe it as a Rogue-like, but it isn't turn-based.

Also, rocket skates FTL. Ive lost so many lives using them without meaning to. Stupid random presents.

Trobby
2010-11-24, 01:29 AM
That's what the Wise Carrot Man is for. ;)

But yeah, it's definitely Roguelike, with strong parody themes attached to it.

And of course, one of the few Roguelikes that are co-op, and actually BETTER with a second person!

Phexar
2010-11-24, 07:16 AM
I loved Panic on Funkotron myself, and not the original... but my opinion reverses more when it comes to multiplayer, with the original having far superior multiplayer to Panic on Funkotron, IMO.

dsmiles
2010-11-24, 07:51 AM
Aaaahhhh, the nostalgia. I remember that game when it first came out. I loved it then, and I love it now on my Sega Genesis emulator.

Aidan305
2010-11-24, 08:45 AM
I remember renting that one when it first came out. My brother and I spent a horrendously frustrating weekend playing it, eventually finding ourselves stuck somewhere in the early 20's.

It was fun, though I'm still not sure if I'd have the patience to pick it up again.

Blayze
2010-11-24, 04:23 PM
All I remember about that game is the secret level at the bottom-left of Level 1, and the secret island at the top-right.

Dragor
2010-11-24, 04:26 PM
ToeJam and Earl! A damn classic. I only remember playing it when I was, oh, about 4. My memories are vague, but damn did that make us laugh.

Deth Muncher
2010-11-24, 09:41 PM
Trobby, what're you doing on this part of the board? Go back and banter randomly. :P <3

Anyway, I remember this game coming out, but I never did play it...maybe I'll have to find it somewhere and do so.

Trobby
2010-11-25, 09:14 AM
Trobby, what're you doing on this part of the board? Go back and banter randomly. :P <3

Anyway, I remember this game coming out, but I never did play it...maybe I'll have to find it somewhere and do so.

;p Didn't think it would be as well-received there, and only sort of showing up for a short time anyway. <.<;

Also, it's out on Virtual Console, if you have a Wii.