PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) PaO and the planetar.

Goonthegoof
2010-11-24, 01:29 AM
I've been considering having a cleric use polymorph any object to turn my aasimar into a planetar (his great grandfather was one), and I have a few confusions I'd really like to get clarified.

Does he gain the average stats of a planetar(excluding wis/cha), or does he gain the average stats of a planetar plus his bonuses?

Does he gets the Angel subtype, and if so does he get the traits associated with that subtype?

And finally if polymorph any object is cast on him by a dweomerkeeper as a supernatural ability is there any way short of another polymorph spell that an enemy could change him back?

Endarire
2010-11-24, 01:52 AM
You gain the new creature's types and subtypes. The new form's STR, DEX, CON, and INT scores replace your own.*

An enemy could put him in an antimagic field to negate the polymorph any object.

*If you're turned into an object first (like a rock or a candlestick) then turned into a planetar, you'd also gain the WIS and CHA scores of your final form.

Goonthegoof
2010-11-24, 01:59 AM
Sounds excellent, but is the duration of the new polymorph based on your current (temporary) form or your old form?

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-24, 02:18 AM
Why not go for a full solar while you're at it?

Goonthegoof
2010-11-24, 02:54 AM
Polymorph any object is based on polymorph, and has a limit of 15HD.

Callista
2010-11-24, 02:57 AM
That, and the DM would smack you with a herring.

Goonthegoof
2010-11-24, 03:05 AM
That too. Since I gain the Angel subtype, do I get the bonuses listed here?

Angel Traits

An angel possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
* Immunity to acid, cold, and petrification.
* Resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10.
* +4 racial bonus on saves against poison.
* Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals angel’s HD). This aura can be dispelled, but the angel can create it again as a free action on its next turn. (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel’s statistics block.)
* Tongues (Su): All angels can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level equal to angel’s Hit Dice). This ability is always active.

Runestar
2010-11-24, 06:41 AM
You should gain all benefits associated with the angel subtype as well.

At least that's how I played it. Needless to say, my DM wasn't very pleased when he realised that polymorphing the party's barb into a treant also made him immune to mind-affecting abilities...:smallamused:

Jack_Simth
2010-11-24, 08:05 AM
I've been considering having a cleric use polymorph any object to turn my aasimar into a planetar (his great grandfather was one), and I have a few confusions I'd really like to get clarified.

Does he gain the average stats of a planetar(excluding wis/cha), or does he gain the average stats of a planetar plus his bonuses?
Average stats only. Not that those are, you know, bad. And if you take your equipment off first, and put it back on after, you keep those bonuses.

Does he gets the Angel subtype, and if so does he get the traits associated with that subtype?Sorta. Polymorph Any Object functions like Polymorph in that regard, and while "The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.", you've got that pesky "does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities."

So depending on reading, you either get (the Ex attacks and natural qualities of the new form) and (all type&subtype stuff), or you get the Ex attacks and natural qualities of (the new form and all type&subtype stuff). AKA, ask your DM, as the RAW is not completely clear, and he's the referee that makes such calls.

And finally if polymorph any object is cast on him by a dweomerkeeper as a supernatural ability is there any way short of another polymorph spell that an enemy could change him back?As noted, Antimagic Field will do it temporarily. But pretty much, yeah.