PDA

View Full Version : Weird presents

rakkoon
2010-11-24, 06:59 AM
I just got a (very late) birthday present. It's not the weirdest I've ever had but it's in the top ten: "Twilight, the graphic novel"
Guy who gave it to me said "I know you like vampires. I read the first part and it looks terrible"

Any more such stories?

Brother Oni
2010-11-24, 07:13 AM
I once got a 6ft inflatable banana from my friends.

I once bought somebody a joke present of a box of kleenex and a copy of DoA: Extreme Volleyball.

Ashtar
2010-11-24, 07:30 AM
I sent a care package to a friend in the army, it contained a set of very fine lingerie, a 12 pack of red bulls, a love letter written in a flowy and feminine script signed by lipstick kisses (from my next door neighbor, thank the girl), packs of peanuts and other rations, and a poster enlargement of a sexy picture (of her) my neighbor donated so that he had something to brag about to others in his unit. All liberally perfumed with Baby Doll Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent.

He went from being picked on by guys in his unit " 'cause he had no girl" to superstar.

rakkoon
2010-11-24, 07:35 AM
You (and your neighbour) deserve a cookie.
Here, have a large one.
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/06/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

KuReshtin
2010-11-24, 09:20 AM
I never got any silly or weird presents, but my brother one got three yards of Red Bull (or equivalent energy drink).

one of his friends is a plumber, and he'd found a piece of plastic tubing that had the perfect diameter to put two cans of energy drink side by side.
They then proceeded to stuff the entire three yards of tube with cans of energy drink, and then used industrial strength plastic cement and plumbing end stoppers to seal it up.
he had to use a hacksaw to cut open the tube to get to the cans.
And of course, he picked the wrong part to saw the tube at, so he punctured one of the cans.
Energy Drink all over the living room. :smallbiggrin:

The same guys once gave him a McDonalds advertisement banner for Christmas.

Zen Monkey
2010-11-24, 10:13 AM
I once received an orange and a boomerang. I had never shown interest in either of these things, nor had I any idea why they were paired together. They were a Christmas gift from a relative I don't see often.

Sipex
2010-11-24, 10:17 AM
Zen Monkey has learned a New Technique!

Nothing Rhymes with Orange: The Ever Returning Joke

I got a 1/2 lb D20 for my birthday.

It's weird and makes a loud THUNK THUNK THUNK when rolled but very cool.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-24, 11:58 AM
I got a box of condoms for my birthday.

......that's the weirdest thing I've ever gotten.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-24, 12:02 PM
I sent a care package to a friend in the army, it contained a set of very fine lingerie, a 12 pack of red bulls, a love letter written in a flowy and feminine script signed by lipstick kisses (from my next door neighbor, thank the girl), packs of peanuts and other rations, and a poster enlargement of a sexy picture (of her) my neighbor donated so that he had something to brag about to others in his unit. All liberally perfumed with Baby Doll Perfume by Yves Saint Laurent.

He went from being picked on by guys in his unit " 'cause he had no girl" to superstar.

You and your neighbour are all kinds of awesome.

I get all kinds of weird crap, because at school all my friends liked to act hard, so would intentionally give dumb presents so as not to seem sentimental. The weirdest one I got from them was an inflatable sheep that sang the Spongebob Squarepants theme tune. Alcohol meant that at the time their reasoning actually made sense, but for the life of me i can't remember what it was now.

I also got a Bible that had ipod speakers built into the cover.

Ashtar
2010-11-24, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the cookie and the comments.

Since mailing packages to anyone serving in the army here is free, it is practically an institution here.

When I was doing my service, a fellow soldier received a parcel full of bricks, the 4" x 2 2/3" x 8" style. Another practical joke going around was sending parcels with interesting stuff inside, like salami and peanuts, but pack the parcel with tons of confetti. Thus causing absolute mayhem in the barracks while unpacking, which means you then have to spend hours cleaning up before the Sgt Major sees it.

leakingpen
2010-11-24, 12:55 PM
Nodding another awesome to the military gift givers.

I've given an inflatable sheep before (it did not play the spongebob theme...) and a tube of lube. Long story.

Weirdest present I've ever seen give was fossilized dinosaur poop. Apparently, the person had a scat collection of over 100 animals from all over the world.

mangosta71
2010-11-24, 12:58 PM
My brother does something every Christmas. One year, he got one of my sisters 100 ball pit balls and the other a unicorn head on a stick that played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". He gave me a tacky plastic black and pink purse with a stuffed pink poodle. I can't remember whom he inflicted Chicken Dance Elmo upon... Oh, and my dad got a giant inflatable decorative turkey.

thubby
2010-11-24, 12:59 PM

i have to wonder how this whole scheme got started.
i mean, going to your neighbor and saying "hey, can i have a dirty picture of you" doesn't seem terribly likely.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-24, 01:02 PM
*wants to meet said neighbor*

Weirdest... hmm, well, I literally got three french hens about 10 years back. That count?

Blue cochin (french breed) bantams to be exact:
http://bantams.the-kozaks.com/PNPA/PIC00064.JPG

Favorite pets ever. THEY'RE SO FLUFFAY!

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-24, 01:06 PM
For Christmas, my older sister once gave my younger sister a box. Or really, a set of 6 or so individually wrapped nested boxes, just because she had entered a wrapping frenzy and felt like doing so.

Weirdest appropriate gift I've given was an Optimus Prime pinata. The guy I gave it to hates Transformers. He loved it so much, we went out, bought another, and blew it up. =P

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-24, 01:08 PM
Weirdest appropriate gift I've given was an Optimus Prime pinata. The guy I gave it to hates Transformers. He loved it so much, we went out, bought another, and blew it up. =P
Dude... I gotta put an anime-based pinata on my list now.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 01:40 PM
I just got a (very late) birthday present. It's not the weirdest I've ever had but it's in the top ten: "Twilight, the graphic novel"
Guy who gave it to me said "I know you like vampires. I read the first part and it looks terrible"

Any more such stories?

How well did you know the person?

Also, the weirdest gift I ever gotten was a bunch of generic DVDs from the discovery channel. Not that weird I suppose, but the DVDs weren't really my taste.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-24, 02:03 PM
Dude... I gotta put an anime-based pinata on my list now.

It was pretty fun. He broke a steel-shaft golfclub on a cardboard pinata, such was his rage. =P

And the second one caught fire and went airborne. We got it all on video. >.>

darbythegambler
2010-11-24, 02:03 PM
hmm... my weirdest would have to be the blue stuffed flower cow my friend gave me one xmas.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-24, 02:07 PM
And the second one caught fire and went airborne. We got it all on video. >.>
Youtube is your friend :smallamused:

Admiral Squish
2010-11-24, 02:12 PM
I got a specially boxed set lucky charms dishes once. It had a great big box of lucky charms in the middle, two bowls, and two spoons. It was kinda a d*** move on the giver's part, since he'd been promising to give me his old Xbox forever and the box was approximately the same size.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 02:14 PM
One time a friend gave me a blank CD for an assignment, so I decided to give him some bubble wrap to show my thanks.

Eldan
2010-11-24, 02:19 PM
And here I was thinking there was some kind of publisher called "Weird" presenting their new project.

Ashtar
2010-11-24, 03:08 PM
Without wanting to derail the thread:

My next door neighbour (sadly no longer neighbour) is a most unusual and wonderful girl. She looks so much like Angelina Jolie on this picture that some people got confused when we went to see the movie in the cinema.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Gone_in_sixty_seconds.jpg

I was her best male friend and confidant during some difficult times and we pulled a number of stunts and pranks together. Also, she wasn't in any way shy or prude, leading to all kinds of stuff that I cannot describe on the forum*. Alas for me, I never got, lets say, the full treatment, being the best friend. She would usually come over to my place around 9-10 PM and stay till 3-4 AM at my house for fruit teas during the week and the wilder parties** during the week-end.

*Even though I would love to continue bragging!

**Living in a house alone with my mum, with her travelling out of the country most week-ends, meant my house was the place to be for parties. ^^

I have pictures of her, but I don't really want to upload them without her permission... :smallbiggrin: She did some posing for local photographers, which meant pictures were readily available.

Syka
2010-11-24, 03:34 PM
I saw this given at one of those parties where you give gag gifts. Apparently it had gone around a few times...

Basically, a giant (like, impossible and frightening giant)...adult toy. With a suction cup on one end. Like, the kind you stick to windows. It ended up on the sliding glass door at one point.

We got a hot water bottle at one. I was actually quite grateful a few months later as it was WONDERFUL for cramps.

Weirdest I got was a toaster oven. Does it count if I actively asked for it and it was the only thing on my list?

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-11-24, 03:48 PM
Animatronic hamster dressed as a chicken that does the chicken dance.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-24, 04:26 PM
I saw this given at one of those parties where you give gag gifts. Apparently it had gone around a few times...

Basically, a giant (like, impossible and frightening giant)...adult toy. With a suction cup on one end. Like, the kind you stick to windows. It ended up on the sliding glass door at one point.

My group's version of this is an iFish that NEVER STOPS MAKING NOISE. It has to be given through stealthy means, though. Like hiding it in a cake. >.>

Devmaar
2010-11-24, 05:50 PM
For his 16th birthday I gave my friend a bag of jam of jar.

That is, a plastic bag full of jam, containing an empty glass jam jar.

The best part was how he kept having to explain it to everyone.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-24, 05:56 PM
My friend got her annoying stalker guy 3lbs. of ketchup as a gift.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-24, 05:57 PM

Why exactly? :smallconfused:

KenderWizard
2010-11-24, 07:31 PM
One of the teachers in my school was totally awesome. I gave her a lollipop on my birthday, because I give out lollipops on my birthday as a tradition. She gave me a book on _her_ birthday, because she liked the idea. I got another teacher to leave a chocolate bar on her desk.

Then one day I got called from class to reception, and got handed an envelope. The envelope contained 14 photocopies of The Far Side comics, and two packets of fake blood. It wasn't signed or anything, there was no note and it didn't even have my name on it. I can only presume it was that awesome teacher, because otherwise it makes even less sense!

Concrete
2010-11-24, 07:53 PM
I once received chocolatebar as Christmas-present from my brother. Kinda disappointing actually... Being christmas, I had no reason to open it until several days later. finding what amounts to about 300 bucks...
Turns out my brother, having no idea what to get me, had put in the money and resealed it. Too bad I had been sitting on it for about a day.

Another year, a celebrity my sister liked took part in an ad-campaign, and around christmas, his face was plastered all over town on 3 by 2 meter posters...
So we stole one, managed to hide it in a rug for three days, and the night before christmas eve, we slipped her sleeping-pills and put it up in the ceiling.
Now that I write it, it sounds so wrong somehow....
Anyway, she wasnpretty bloody ecstatic in the morning. :D

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 08:13 PM

Did they get it from Vork?:smallwink:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-24, 08:23 PM
Did they get it from Vork?:smallwink:

I dun get it. ._.

And I have no clue WHY she did it.

rakkoon
2010-11-25, 03:08 AM
How well did you know the person?

Quite well actually. 10 years ago he also gave me two adult movies for my birthday. That is in my weird top 3 actually.

TruorTupnm
2010-11-25, 04:35 PM
I don't remember getting any particularly weird gifts, but I did give my mother some money (fifty or one hundred dollars, I forget) because she was always asking me for some. I made her work for it, though, by putting a bunch of boxes within boxes and lining them all with that parcel paper stuff. The main box was quite big, and I stuck some bricks on the bottom, so she wouldn't instantly figure out that it was just a joke. Upon opening it and finding box within box, she at at least started to hope that it would be a small but expensive gift, especially since the final box was a jewelry one. All of the boxes were apparently empty, though, and she thanked me for the all of the, uh, boxes?, but I told her that there was actually a decent present in there. I eventually just told her to rip the paper lining off, where she found a bunch of one dollar bills individually taped to the other side of the lining. Well, everybody else thought that it was funny, at least.

Extra_Crispy
2010-11-26, 06:24 AM
My grandmother used to buy me stuffed animals. I am a 6'4" 260lb guy and she would buy me stuffed dogs and hearts and such. I loved them. She once sent me a octopus with heart shapes on the end of its limbs/tenticles that held a vibrating machine in the main body so when you pushed a certain tenticle end it would vibrate and wiggle all around the floor. I laughed so hard when I got that.

Orzel
2010-11-26, 07:50 AM
3 gallons of OJ and a box of candy

The OJ even had pulp! :smallbiggrin:

Kjata
2010-11-26, 11:29 AM
Las year on my birthday my friend told me my birthday gift was at another friends house, who was going to be gone until late that night. So we broke in and got it.

It wasn't the present that was weird I guess, but the method of giving it.

Pretty priceless when he came home and we were sitting on his couch, piss drunk and playing Call of Duty.

Liriel
2010-11-27, 01:41 AM
I've given an inflatable sheep before (it did not play the spongebob theme...) and a tube of lube. Long story.

Does this by any chance involve Settlers of Catan and "I've got wood for sheep!"

*Glances around sheepishly*

What? It really is a common gag in my gaming group! :smallsmile:

rakkoon
2010-11-27, 02:17 AM
Hmm, Settlers seems like a completely different game in English :smallsmile:

My mother once gave me a tight orange dance T-shirt when I was in my metal phase at 13 years old. So I promised myself to stop buying clothing for my kids after they turn 5.

Gullara
2010-11-27, 03:02 AM
Does this by any chance involve Settlers of Catan and "I've got wood for sheep!"

Oh my. Now I have to get a game of settlers going so I can use that. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-27, 09:31 AM

We do that, too. =3

Liriel
2010-11-27, 08:50 PM
Well, to get back on topic...

I guess the strangest present I got (strictly from an outsider's perspective) was a ragged old copy of a little little kid's book - for my 21st birthday.

To those who knew me & my family very well - it was my favorite book as a toddler. My mom found it one day while going through some of her old things. She'd kept it all that time...:smallbiggrin:

rakkoon
2010-11-29, 08:09 AM
Very thoughtful of her.

At my boy scouts troop a thirteen year old got a baby pacifier set for Christmas. He was not amused :smallamused:

Bhu
2010-11-29, 11:39 PM
A raspberry flavored hot sauce meant to be put on ice cream.

leakingpen
2010-11-30, 10:42 AM
Hot cocoa sampler box. Same person got me a glass dragon the next year.

RandomNPC
2010-11-30, 04:49 PM
Every christmas and birthday I give my brother in law a different type of produce. When I gave him a PSP I hid it at the bottom and put a lot of paper on top, then a potato, then more paper. The next year was an onion in a shoebox with a hidden giftcard, the story goes on and on....

MonkeyBusiness
2010-11-30, 07:45 PM
When I was in college, my younger sister wanted a particular cd very much, which I bought for her. As I tried to wrap it, I realized she'd know not only that she was getting a cd for Christmas ... but that she was getting that particular cd. I wanted it to be a surprise.

So I wrapped it with a potato. It was the lumpiest, most awkward looking package under the tree. Best part was, I wrapped it in a way that made the cd seem like packaging: so when she opened the "box" and this potato fell into her lap ... she thought that was it!

The look on her face as she tried to think of something nice to say was fantastic!

The look on her face when she realized the potato was just ballast was even better!

KuReshtin
2010-11-30, 08:18 PM
I just remembered something.

A few years ago, my sister got a lollipop and a 50-öre (about GB£0.05) coin from our grandmother.
It was a reference to a conversation they'd had about a month previous, where my grandmother had said that she spent too much money on gifts, and that she'd only be able to afford a lollipop and 50 öre for my sister.
My sister then said that that woudl do just fine in a joking manner, and they both laughed about it and my sister forgot about it.
Until Christmas Eve during the gift unwrapping, when she got said lollipop and 50 öre coin.
That was all she got from our grandmother that year. :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-30, 08:19 PM
When I was in college, my younger sister wanted a particular cd very much, which I bought for her. As I tried to wrap it, I realized she'd know not only that she was getting a cd for Christmas ... but that she was getting that particular cd. I wanted it to be a surprise.

So I wrapped it with a potato. It was the lumpiest, most awkward looking package under the tree. Best part was, I wrapped it in a way that made the cd seem like packaging: so when she opened the "box" and this potato fell into her lap ... she thought that was it!

The look on her face as she tried to think of something nice to say was fantastic!

The look on her face when she realized the potato was just ballast was even better!

That's awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Of course, how great would it have been if when the potato dropped in her lap, she screamed "Just what I always wanted!" =P

RandomNPC
2010-11-30, 08:31 PM
I forgot something, and am shamed by my forgetfullness.

I wrap presents in duct tape sticky side out, then I put on pits of paper, or string, or sometimes wrap it normally so it's gift wrap stuck to duct tape.

I've come to realize my brother in law dreads opening my gifts.

When we bought a wii we saved the box, my mother in law put some gifts in it for my brother in law. His face lit up, but it was just batteries. His wii and the remotes were in another box.

TruorTupnm
2010-11-30, 11:02 PM
Huh. Mayhaps I should start giving people presents with potatoes. Potatoes are my favorite food, so they should enjoy it, and if they just want whatever comes with the potato, I'll happily take the delicious from them.

Kastanok
2010-12-01, 07:06 PM
My literally insane paternal grandmother whom I very rarely see sent, for one christmas, a felt-covered ceramic sheepy-bank (like a piggy bank but... yeah, you got it).

It wasn't labelled, so we don't know who in the house it was meant for and we can't imagine why she would have thought any of us would want such a thing but there it was. We named it 'Madge' in her honour and it sat in the corner of the room, just being random and pointless.