PDA

View Full Version : Artificer - Divine spells?

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-24, 12:38 PM
A friend of mine suggested to me that his Artificer backup character could use Scribe Scroll to write out arcane spells in a divine format because Artificers don't use Arcane or Divine magic, they use wibbly-wobbly magicky-wagicky... stuff. From these scrolls, he suggested, my backup Archivist could learn arcane spells in a divine format.

I'm not sure on this, so I turn to the Playground and its wisdom. What are your thoughts?

Psyren
2010-11-24, 12:40 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "arcane spells in a divine format." Artificer scrolls are neither.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-24, 12:41 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "arcane spells in a divine format." Artificer scrolls are neither.

That's what I thought. He said that, because they use neither format, an Archivist could use it and it would be divine, or something along those lines.

The-Mage-King
2010-11-24, 12:41 PM
A friend of mine suggested to me that his Artificer backup character could use Scribe Scroll to write out arcane spells in a divine format because Artificers don't use Arcane or Divine magic, they use wibbly-wobbly magicky-wagicky... stuff. From these scrolls, he suggested, my backup Archivist could learn arcane spells in a divine format.

I'm not sure on this, so I turn to the Playground and its wisdom. What are your thoughts?

Actually, it is viable, but...

The Archivist has to be the one scribing the scroll. See, scrolls scribed bby Artificers are, sadly, neither Arcane nor Divine.

So you take advantage of the little rule about how two or more characters can work on the same item, with one being the crafter and having it turn out as his type of magic.

Ernir
2010-11-24, 12:42 PM
Doesn't work. Archivists can only scribe spells from Divine scrolls into their Prayerbooks, Artificer-made scrolls aren't Divine.

Psyren
2010-11-24, 12:46 PM
Actually, it is viable, but...

The Archivist has to be the one scribing the scroll. See, scrolls scribed bby Artificers are, sadly, neither Arcane nor Divine.

So you take advantage of the little rule about how two or more characters can work on the same item, with one being the crafter and having it turn out as his type of magic.

This is the trick I know of too. Artificer provides the spell, Archivist does the work.

The-Mage-King
2010-11-24, 12:48 PM
This is the trick I know of too. Artificer provides the spell, Archivist does the work.

Yep. Only way to make that stuff Divine.

Or Arcane, for that matter.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-24, 05:16 PM
There are far easier ways to get almost any arcane spell you can think of as a divine spell - domains.

Practically any arcane spell you could want is in a domain somewhere.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-24, 05:24 PM
There are far easier ways to get almost any arcane spell you can think of as a divine spell - domains.

Roleplaying wise, it can be very difficult for a Archivist to find a divine scroll of spell from a rare domain. Domain specific spells don't belong in a normal city's marketplace. It's not like Drow and reclusive or evil races give away their special divine spells to whoever asks them.

An Artificer can make this process easier if the artificer explains the spell out to the Archivist and then performs the spell in front of him. By the rules for learning new spells, that can provide enough for the Archivist to add the rare domain spells to his prayerbook.

~

An artificer can't create a scroll for the archivist to use, but roleplaying and rules wise, he can help him learn enough to get the domain spell.

Psyren
2010-11-24, 05:27 PM

Not to mention (Greater) Anyspell and Miracle :smalltongue:

Also, Warlocks can craft more easily than Artificers, not being saddled with the silly "typeless magic" rule.