PDA

View Full Version : Shapechanging and Bonus HP

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-24, 06:04 PM
Ok, this idea came to mind.

Say you are a 5th level fellow with a Con of 18. You have 20 extra HP. You are reduced to a mere 18 HP total through damage.

If you then shapeshift into a form that only has a con of 10 or so, thus losing your con bonus to HP, do you automatically die?

Marnath
2010-11-24, 06:12 PM
Considering that your hp total doesn't seem to change based on your new form, i'd say no.

Private-Prinny
2010-11-24, 10:09 PM
As stated, you keep your own HP, so the matter is irrelevant.

If you did, though, you would instantly fall unconscious, causing you to revert to your natural form and regain your HP. The mental image is actually kind of funny.

Quietus
2010-11-24, 10:13 PM
Note that if you're playing without PHB2, the situation Prinny described applies. As long as you don't die from con loss, that is.

PHB2's Polymorph errata makes it so that a new form's con mod doesn't alter your HP totals, though, making this problem a thing of the past.. and screwing over the elven druid I was playing when it came out in the process. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2010-11-25, 01:32 AM
Note that if you're playing without PHB2, the situation Prinny described applies. As long as you don't die from con loss, that is.

PHB2's Polymorph errata makes it so that a new form's con mod doesn't alter your HP totals, though, making this problem a thing of the past.. and screwing over the elven druid I was playing when it came out in the process. :smalltongue:

Actually, the "your HP stay the same" line made it into Rules Compendium as well - making it RAW whether PHB2 is used or not.