PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Abusing Fiend of Possession/Bloodlines

tuesdayscoming
2010-11-24, 06:16 PM
So the bloodlines from Unearthed Arcana seem pretty good. Granted, you give up the BAB, saves, HP, skill points, and class features for anywhere from 1-3 levels, but my goodness do the rewards seem exploitable.

It grants you an extra level for use with 'calculations of [your] level-based abilities', and the text specifies that 'If a character has levels in two or more classes in addition to his bloodline levels, each class gains the benefit of adding the bloodline levels when calculating abilities.'

I want to abuse this.

I'm making a character for a custom setting I'm working on. At level 20, I was thinking of having him go 9 Binder/5 Knight of the Sacred Seal/6 Fiend of Possession. You get into KotSS to become an Outsider and get a 7th level Cleric to perform a Ritual of Alignment (SS) to get an evil subtype. This allows you entry to FoP.

But I read a thread today pointing out the bloodline effect that allows you, as a FoP, to give CRAZY high bonuses to Weapons/Armor and higher DCs for controlling other creatures.

Playing a Dvati pair already makes the FoP cheesy, but this is to be a near-epic level npc who simply should never be confronted. Just a hypothetical character, really, so what would be the cheesiest way to use bloodlines with this build as a base?

Are there, for instance, any decent 1 or two level dips that would be worth giving up additional Binder levels for bloodline abuse?

Alternatively, have you come across any particularly effective (even if entirely unrelated) Bloodlines builds in the past? It seems like an interesting mechanic, one that could certainly have some interesting repercussions.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-24, 08:57 PM
You get into KotSS to become an Outsider and get a 7th level Cleric to perform a Ritual of Alignment (SS) to get an evil subtype. This allows you entry to FoP.

Just FYI, there's a FR 1st-level-only feat called Otherworldly that turns you into an outsider. That gives you a few more levels to work with.

Playing a Dvati pair already makes the FoP cheesy, but this is to be a near-epic level npc who simply should never be confronted. Just a hypothetical character, really, so what would be the cheesiest way to use bloodlines with this build as a base?

One of my BBEGs in a near-epic campaign used bloodlines plus a dip into every binding PrC (each of which says "Your X levels and binder levels stack for..." and thus triggers the bloodline benefit) to get an EBL of 80+. Tossing entire galleons around with Ronove's far hand ability (Str score equal to EBL!) or one-shotting most creatures with Haures's phantasmal killer (save DCs for vestige abilities are based off 1/2 EBL!) was quite fun.

Alternatively, have you come across any particularly effective (even if entirely unrelated) Bloodlines builds in the past? It seems like an interesting mechanic, one that could certainly have some interesting repercussions.

Bloodlines add to ToB IL as well, letting you pick up 9th-level maneuvers at ECL 10 with judicious dipping. Binding, ToB, and Hellfire Warlock are the three main worthwhile uses of bloodlines, I think.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-24, 11:01 PM
Posted in the wrong place, my apologies!

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-11-26, 01:30 AM
BL's aren't that abusable without really sketchy interpretations. Sorry. I posted a good 'abuse' of BL in my handbook on BG.

to get an EBL of 80+The conservative interpretation is that the benefits are ability based not class-based. So would Bloodlines only add 3 at max

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-26, 02:07 AM
The conservative interpretation is that the benefits are ability based not class-based. So would Bloodlines only add 3 at max

Looks to me like EBL works just like IL or HFW--"X levels stack with binder level for EBL" and "add 1/2 X levels to martial adept levels for IL" seem to work the same way.