PDA

View Full Version : Warblade Fluff Question

Erts
2010-11-24, 09:35 PM
Warblades- Love 'em, hate 'em, etc. But, why swords?
If they are an update to the fighter, why swords? Why only swords? Is flavor for other things not allowed? I think the Nine Tools of Battle would sound just as good, and seem less, well,
OMG SWORDZ SO COOL. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroesPreferSwords)
Notes: Don't hate Warblades, current GM does (purity kinda guy) but I have played them before.
I hope I don't seem whiny here, not my intention.

CodeRed
2010-11-24, 09:47 PM
Reread the book. There's nothing in there that requires swords to do ANYTHING. Even the discipline specific weapons do not matter for the most part except sometimes in Tiger Claw/Shadow Hand. There's Blade Discipline but that feat is meh anyhow.

Seriously, last time I used ToB I had a Warblade running around with a trident I picked up off a demon we killed. They even have the ability to spend an hour retraining all weapon specific feats (weapon focus etc.) to any other weapon of their choice just by exercising. You don't have to use swords unless you want to.

Personally as to why swords for me? There's a reason why every culture around the planet which has developed metal working made swords. They were the optimum melee weapon in reach, balance, ease of use, and cuttting power.

Knaight
2010-11-24, 09:57 PM
Warblades can do anything, as noted. Swords are used in the examples frequently because they are considered classics, its far from the only option. I personally vary weapons with character, though spears receive a disproportionately high amount of attention.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-24, 10:13 PM
Note: One of the "nine swords" is a kukri, which is more of a large knife.

The word "sword" is not meant literally.

Erts
2010-11-24, 10:25 PM
Note: One of the "nine swords" is a kukri, which is more of a large knife.

The word "sword" is not meant literally.

True, but all of them are bladed weapons of some kind. There are weapon styles that don't only use a blade.

Shpadoinkle
2010-11-24, 10:25 PM
Axes are used to chop wood. Spears and bows were used for hunting. Hammers were used for all sorts of things.

But swords were pretty much the first weapon humans devised solely for war. Swords are the tool of the warrior and the defender, and that's given them a sort of mystique that has persisted until the present day.

BenTheJester
2010-11-25, 12:10 AM
True, but all of them are bladed weapons of some kind. There are weapon styles that don't only use a blade.

The nine swords are legacy weapon(ie not worth it), nothing in any classes fluff forces you to use swords.

My Greathammer warblade worked very well for the whole campaign I've played him.

CodeRed
2010-11-25, 12:51 AM

Your right! There are weapon styles that don't use blades! Devoted Spirit uses Greatclubs and Mauls. Desert Wind can use light maces, light picks and so on. As I said, nothing says you have to use a sword or even bladed weapon to activate any maneuver.

Godskook
2010-11-25, 02:11 AM
Of the warblade discipline weapons, there's a trident, a warhammer, unarmed strike, claw, and heavy mace. Sure, there's bladed weapons on the list too, but these should be a long enough list to exemplify that warblades can use non-swords too, even if they stick to discipline-associated weaponry.

LordBlades
2010-11-25, 02:50 AM
Swords have become some sort of 'emblem of warriors' for several reasons:

First of all, as Shpadoinkle said, swords were designed straight for battle, not converted tools like axes/hammers/maces/spears

Secondly, unlike most contemporary weapons swords were made almost entirely from metal, which, in early periods was rare and expensive. So only the 'rich and famous' could afford swords. Carrying one usually meant you were somebody important.

Some swords (especially late medieval renaissance ones) favored a fighting style based more on skill than physical force, so sword was seen as an embelm as a skilled warrior.

Also, some people claim (read it in quite a few places) some christian knights preferred swords because the hilt resembled a cross.

Shyftir
2010-11-25, 03:00 AM
Actually the cross-shaped hilts were designed because a Christian Knight is supposed to pray before the Cross before each battle. The hilt made their sword qualify. Very useful on extended maneuvers. Sorta like when a cleric puts their holy symbol on their shield for convenience sake.

AslanCross
2010-11-25, 06:40 AM
Axes are used to chop wood. Spears and bows were used for hunting. Hammers were used for all sorts of things.

But swords were pretty much the first weapon humans devised solely for war. Swords are the tool of the warrior and the defender, and that's given them a sort of mystique that has persisted until the present day.

I agree with this. The sword has become the symbol of the warrior across many cultures, and especially among those who gave warriors a high status (which is pretty much all of them). That's why up to now, many armed forces still use a sword somewhere in their insignia, and why sabers are still part of formal dress uniforms, and why in many video games, the attack command is represented by a sword. Rarely do you see an attack command represented by an axe, spear, or hammer.

LordBlades
2010-11-25, 06:50 AM
That's why up to now, many armed forces still use a sword somewhere in their insignia, and why sabers are still part of formal dress uniforms, and why in many video games, the attack command is represented by a sword. Rarely do you see an attack command represented by an axe, spear, or hammer.

This made me realise something: sword makes an ideal representation for the attack command, because it's stylized symbol can't be confused: it's certainly a tool of war, so any command it correspends to probably relates to war.

Other things are much easier confused: a hammer for example: It could be a warhammer (attack), or it could be a regular craftsman's hammer (build commands).

CodeRed
2010-11-25, 11:28 AM
This made me realise something: sword makes an ideal representation for the attack command, because it's stylized symbol can't be confused: it's certainly a tool of war, so any command it correspends to probably relates to war.

Other things are much easier confused: a hammer for example: It could be a warhammer (attack), or it could be a regular craftsman's hammer (build commands).

Yep. A hammer can create things while a sword's ultimate purpose is to kill. That is what a sword is made for. How that capacity is used determines whether it's right or wrong but there is no arguing that swords were not invented to kill other human beings.

Draz74
2010-11-25, 12:24 PM
even if they stick to discipline-associated weaponry.

Which they would do ... why? :smallconfused:

:smallwink:

Greenish
2010-11-25, 12:25 PM
Which they would do ... why? :smallconfused:Non-discipline weapons have cooties, eww.

Siosilvar
2010-11-25, 12:29 PM
Which they would do ... why? :smallconfused:

:smallwink:

Swordsage.

Draz74
2010-11-25, 12:41 PM
Swordsage.

... Topic change much?

AstralFire
2010-11-25, 01:56 PM
Yep. A hammer can create things while a sword's ultimate purpose is to kill. That is what a sword is made for. How that capacity is used determines whether it's right or wrong but there is no arguing that swords were not invented to kill other human beings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVL10_ETQcc#t=5m28

Was reminded of this.