PDA

View Full Version : Julio vs Tarquin?

Calintares
2010-11-24, 09:41 PM
It's been established that both of them are skilled swordfighters with high charisma. Julio is confirmed to be a dashing swordsman and the evidence strongly suggest that Tarquin is too.

So. do you think it might happen, and if it does; who do you think would win? (asside from the fact that several storytelling conventions would imply Julio would be killed)

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 09:59 PM
I think the rules of drama state that Julio has to do exactly what Obi Wan did in the duel at the end of A New Hope.

kossuth's_spark
2010-11-24, 10:04 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, if Tarquin DID kill Julio, it would be pretty much the same as A New Hope; Elan's dad killing Elan's teacher.

ThirdEmperor
2010-11-24, 10:08 PM
What with all the recent Star Wars references, I think you've just figured out what will happen next.

Deth Muncher
2010-11-24, 10:09 PM
Did Julio mention ever having another student?

kossuth's_spark
2010-11-24, 10:14 PM
I don't believe so, unless someone else remembers something I don't.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-24, 10:20 PM
I'll dig out War and XPs tonight and check.

He did mention bastard children, and it's unlikely that Tarquin is one of these. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 10:24 PM
Julio trained Tarquin but Tarquin turned evil and hunted down and slaughter all the other Dashing Swordsmen.

kossuth's_spark
2010-11-24, 10:35 PM
At this point, I really wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 10:42 PM
"He's more PrC than man."
"Adventure; Excitement; a PC craves not these things."
"Size category matters not."

And the Gate will become a parallel version of the Death Star (it's already hinted at by Xykon).

veti
2010-11-24, 11:02 PM
Given that Julio himself has already referred to (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) the trope of dying at the hands of his pupil's nemesis... I really don't think this is going to happen.

Events that strike parallels with Star Wars is one thing. Lifting entire plot arcs is something else entirely. Particularly when it would mean artificially re-introducing a character who, as far as we know, is on a whole other continent.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 11:06 PM
Events that strike parallels with Star Wars is one thing. Lifting entire plot arcs is something else entirely. Particularly when it would mean artificially re-introducing a character who, as far as we know, is on a whole other continent.

He has an airship so the trip isn't impossible.

Worlok
2010-11-24, 11:10 PM
But we may still dream, right? :smalltongue:

Also, while I'm usually not one to plug all too shamelessly, some of us are already discussing this particular set of theories over in the epileptic forest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176847)... :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-11-24, 11:13 PM
Haley's going to be searching a hallway or room soon and notice some sort of device used to catch sneaks and say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piVnArp9ZE0)...

Porthos
2010-11-24, 11:13 PM
Given that Julio himself has already referred to (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) the trope of dying at the hands of his pupil's nemesis... I really don't think this is going to happen.

I think, if we do see Julio Scoundrel again, it is far more likely to be a scene like the end of this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html). Elan could comment that any second now, Julio will make a Dramatic Entrance to save his life. We then cut to Julio, who says something witty about being glad he isn't anywhere near the Western Continent, and then we cut back.

Seems like the type of thing this comic would do. :smallwink:

Felixc-91
2010-11-24, 11:46 PM
I think, if we do see Julio Scoundrel again, it is far more likely to be a scene like the end of this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html). Elan could comment that any second now, Julio will make a Dramatic Entrance to save his life. We then cut to Julio, who says something witty about being glad he isn't anywhere near the Western Continent, and then we cut back.

Seems like the type of thing this comic would do. :smallwink:
now this theory, possible, Julio returning, not so much. Rich has too much artistic integrity to blatantly lift a story line like that... i agree its not a possiblity.

Red XIV
2010-11-25, 02:35 AM
He has an airship so the trip isn't impossible.
And since as far as Julio knows, Elan is on the Southern Continent, he'd have every reason to travel to the other continents. He'd think that going to the Western Continent would make him less likely to reunited with Elan and thus get killed for dramatic effect. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathByGenreSavviness)

Tass
2010-11-25, 02:49 AM
now this theory, possible, Julio returning, not so much. Rich has too much artistic integrity to blatantly lift a story line like that... i agree its not a possiblity.

He might return, but then the events will be twisted in some unforeseen way. I do not think it will be a straight Star Wars rip off. Set it up like it, and then twist - the Giant could totally do that.

By the way Julio started these references early:

"Exactly my young padawan" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html)
"Whats a padawan?"
"You are better off not knowing"

As in "it is better that you don't know about this future story arch?"

Rakarth
2010-11-25, 02:51 AM
I think the rules of drama state that Julio has to do exactly what Obi Wan did in the duel at the end of A New Hope.

Have to agree on going with this idea, with one addendum: Julio's ghost will then return to tell Elan about his teacher...and also inform him he has a twin sister, Nalia, who was raised as royalty.

That aside, a Julio/Tarquin clash would be epic.

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-11-25, 05:10 AM
Star Wars didn't invent the concept of a mentor dying, though with all the Star Wars references, if Julio showed up and died at Tarquin's hands, it would be fairly predictable. Still, with Elan, Tarquin, and Julio all being aware of the cliches of the sort of story they're in, I'm sure they'd appreciate how appropriate it all was if that ends up being how it happens.

Souhiro
2010-11-25, 12:34 PM
You know, Belkar (Sigh!) will die soon. And if Julio Scoundrel (Which is more an old Jack Sparrow than an Ohvy One Kenobi) dies too, this volume could make most of readers going emo; so much dead, sorrow and sadness and very few laughs

-----

Sorry for my awful grammar. I'm a cyborg and I'm on a strong magnetic field

Roland Itiative
2010-11-25, 01:02 PM
Julio: You can't win, Tarquin. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
Tarquin: You know what? You're probably right... *cuts off both of Scoundrél's hands instead*

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 01:09 PM
Julio: You can't win, Tarquin. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
Tarquin: You know what? You're probably right... *cuts off both of Scoundrél's hands instead*

Replace what Tarquin said with: "You're probably right, but as a villain, I'm at least killing one major good guy. I will not be outdone by Scar!"

And congrats to anyone who got reference in that last sentence.

Morph Bark
2010-11-25, 02:49 PM
Replace what Tarquin said with: "You're probably right, but as a villain, I'm at least killing one major good guy. I will not be outdone by Scar!"

And congrats to anyone who got reference in that last sentence.

Well, considering Scar from the Lion King got at least one good guy kill in, my bet is on FMA.

Think Roland Itiative is closer to Tarquin's personality though.

kossuth's_spark
2010-11-25, 02:52 PM
Hey, why stop at hands? If he wanted to, Tarquin could turn him into the Black Knight!

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 02:56 PM
Well, considering Scar from the Lion King got at least one good guy kill in, my bet is on FMA.

Actually I was referencing the Lion King as I think it would be the more well known, but hey, Scar from FMA fits too, although did he kill any of the good guys with major character status?:smallconfused:

Cybertoy00
2010-11-25, 03:39 PM
Remember, half of OotS's humor comes from playing around with tropes. There's a limit to how fairly predictable the comic will get.
However, I wonder if Tarquin and Julio have met sometime in the past. Maybe they had a duel that Tarquin won, but Julio hammed his loss up so much that he got all the girls' attention!
...Naaaaahh. Though I wonder if Elan's mom's admiring Julio might have played a hand (From Tarquin's perspective) in the divorce.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 03:42 PM
Remember, half of OotS's humor comes from playing around with tropes. There's a limit to how fairly predictable the comic will get.

I'm pretty sure some people thought Tarquin was related to Elan before he removed his helmet, and I know there were theories about Ian being one of the prisoners talking to Roy, and let's not forget how a lot of people thought Elan's dad had Haley's dad.

Kastanok
2010-11-25, 03:53 PM
And here I am just happening to have stuck Empire Strikes Back on :)

Yeah, I agree with those saying a direct lifting of the Vader-kills-Obi-Wan plot point is highly unlikely. Reference, yes, copy, no.

And Scar is awesome, though it comes to mind more a combination of Nale and Xykon than Tarquin. Taking unreasonable offence to perceived slights and using bluffs as key components of his plans: definitely traits Scar possesses. And his whole relationship with his lackeys is reminiscent of Xykon's interaction with ... actually, scrap that. That's more like Redcloak, isn't it? [/rambling]

Morph Bark
2010-11-25, 05:34 PM
Actually I was referencing the Lion King as I think it would be the more well known, but hey, Scar from FMA fits too, although did he kill any of the good guys with major character status?:smallconfused:

He didn't. I kind of thought that was your point. :smallconfused:

Dalek-K
2010-11-26, 12:12 AM
Julio shows up and attacks Tarquin... Then after some drama they both start laughing at how its just like star wars and say something long the lines of "wow could you imagine us doing that? ha!"

They end up being best friends from their childhood and it was actually Julio that introduced Tarquin to Elan's mom.

Souhiro
2010-11-26, 02:57 AM
I think that the reinforcements will be Malack.Durkon is Lawful Good (The whole comic as evidence) and Malak seems to be Lawful Evil. Both of them have been shoved as good friends. It should be the kind of
"Darn, I slipped that lockpicks into the roge's cell! I hope she didn't free herself during the guard shift, which is when the bells rings three times, and don't find their equipment in the red room!"

Scoundrel could be awesome, but I think that we could put Elan's mommy instead.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-11-26, 03:08 AM
Julio shows up and attacks Tarquin... Then after some drama they both start laughing at how its just like star wars and say something long the lines of "wow could you imagine us doing that? ha!"

They end up being best friends from their childhood and it was actually Julio that introduced Tarquin to Elan's mom.

I think it would be more of Julio stopping by to visit Tarquin, then noticing Elan...and then he realizes where this is headed and tries to get out of the story before his inevitable death.

He ends up making it even worse by not only getting killed while running away from the plot, but getting killed ANTI-CLIMATICALLY.

His last words will be: "I should have fought by Elan's side...then I would have at least been a climactic ally."

Of course, we may not see him say them, him dying like a pointless mook and all.