PDA

View Full Version : [WOR] The War of The Ring

Cracklord
2010-11-25, 12:13 AM
There are powers at work here beyond Sauron.

The Council of Elrond
"I, Frodo will take the ring to Mordor. Though I do not know the way."

bvdk99
2010-11-25, 07:53 PM
There are powers at work here beyond Sauron.

The Council of Elrond
"I, Frodo will take the ring to Mordor. Though I do not know the way."

The Council of Elrond

A beautiful, pale young woman nods sagely. You show heart, Frodo. But, as you stated, you need a guide; or several, preferably.

Executor
2010-11-26, 04:32 PM
Nightmare

Alone, in the centre of blasted, volcanic landscape, the tower stood. It jutted up from the cruel stone with an immense dagger pointing towards the sky. Enormously tall, incredibly high, and as it ascended, rising black, the tower grew blacker and darker than the vast shades amid which stood the cruel pinnacles and iron crown of the topmost tower. Wall upon wall, battlement upon heaped battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant. Barad-dûr, fortress of Sauron. So tall it stood that the naked eye could not even glimpse the top of the fortress. Yet, piercing through the black clouds that obscured its pinnacle, there was a fell beam of light, red as blood in colour, sweeping hither and hither about the lifeless landscaped that surrounded the tower.

In a dark chamber, only barely illuminated by the weakest of torches along the walls, three stooped forms shuffled into the bare room. There was no throne, no bed, no adornment at all, yet this was the inner sanctum of Sauron himself, and the stooped, hideous, crude creatures that entered it were orcs, his slaves and servants. Their wide eyes could see in even the darkest night, yet at the opposite end of the room, there was a shadow that the torchlight did not dispel, nor could their gaze pierce. A shadow so thick it almost seemed to have a physical form of its own. There was a twitch within the shadow, and the orcs dropped to their knees, foreheads on the ground.

"Bring me the Nightmare" spoke Sauron the Great, Lord of the Earth, and his voice seemed to be coming from everywhere, and nowhere. His voice echoed down from the skies, and whispered in the orcs' feeble minds, it resounded off the walls and hissed into their ears. It was a voice which the weak-willed would follow anywhere, or do anything for. It was the voice of a God.

"Yes, my master" said the lead orc, and the three quickly scrambled from the chamber, eyes wild. An audience with the Dark Lord himself had a way of shattering the minds of mortals, and the orcs had only barely retained their sanity. Almost tripping over themselves as they descended the long staircase that led to the Chamber of Sauron, they quickly went in search of Siegfried Schtauffen, newest servant of the Great Eye.

Viera Champion
2010-11-26, 05:00 PM
The Lunatacs
The Lunatacs. Renowned mercenaries and raiders. They are led by the short Luna, brains of the Lunatacs, who rides upon the great beast Amok. The others are Chilla, with the ability to freeze anything, Redeye, who sees all, Tug Mug, who can defy gravity, and Alluro, who has a very... persuasive personality.

They arrive at the great Black Gates of Mordor.

darkblade
2010-11-26, 05:14 PM
Nightmare

The Azure Knight stands in a smithy sharpening his sword he does not need to the blade of Soul Edge shall never dull but killing orcs is counter productive and there is little else for him here.

Nightmare makes no attempts to face the orcs as they arrive to summon him. He keeps sharpening his blade. The giant eye within the pommel of Soul Edge does turn and give an unnerving stare to the new arrivals. Focusing on his sharpening Nightmare speaks at last it was no longer the voice of a man but a demon that frightens even the Orcs, some have compared it to the Nazghul and the compariosn would not be entierly incorrect as they are both men warped by the dark lord's foul magic. "Speak."

Executor
2010-11-26, 05:36 PM
Nightmare

"The Master sends for you. He wishes you to attend him in the Sanctum" said the lead orc, bowing lowly, avoiding eye contact with the strange sword Nightmare bears.

Lunatacs

All is quiet around the Morannon. In the distance, a breeze kicks up dust along the two great mounds of slag and dirty piled before the Gates, the waste of Mordor's innumerable industries of war. Finally, the glint of a helmet appeared on the battlements of the Gate.

"Who goes there?" the voice challenged the Lunatacs. It was distinctly a man's voice, not an orc's, yet heavily accented, unlike the speech of the Rohirrim or Gondorians or any of the men of the West.

Viera Champion
2010-11-26, 05:53 PM
The Lunatacs
Luna rides forward on Amok. She begins to speak in a loud, high pitched, shrill, crackling voice.
We are the Lunatacs! We have come to fight for the great Lord Sauron himself.

darkblade
2010-11-26, 07:14 PM
Nightmare

"I understand." Nightmare says rising to his feet. He towers above the orcs in height by a good couple of feet although his build although a lot of that maybe in the way the orcs carry themselves.

He pushes his way past the Orcs and makes his way to the master. Soul Edge's eye continues to stare into whatever shriveled remains still exist of the Orc's souls as it passes. The cursed blade hungers.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-27, 11:53 AM
Council Of Elrond

The small, hobbit-like, creature with almost elven ears that had arrived a few days earlier with a spring in his feet and a confusion as to how the strange device that now resides in his pocket had stopped working pockets the necklace he had found earlier on a night table, how reckless of the owner to leave it out for any weak-willed fellow to steal, and skips in to the middle of the circle and cheerfully talk up as if the matters were but a fun little meet like the ones he had attended at Inn of the Last Home in Solace.

"Don't worry about it, Frodo. I know I have a map that must show the way somewhere in my bags"

Rummaging through his bags he continues just as cheerfully

"But even if I do not, it's still no problem, me and my friends found Pax Tharkas almost by accident and I even found a spellbook for Raistlin!"

The carelessness with which the Kender deals with this grave situation would be much surprising to the people at the meet but most have been warned by the elves about the little man with the many bags.

bvdk99
2010-11-27, 12:39 PM
Council Of Elrond

The small, hobbit-like, creature with almost elven ears that had arrived a few days earlier with a spring in his feet and a confusion as to how the strange device that now resides in his pocket had stopped working pockets the necklace he had found earlier on a night table, how reckless of the owner to leave it out for any weak-willed fellow to steal, and skips in to the middle of the circle and cheerfully talk up as if the matters were but a fun little meet like the ones he had attended at Inn of the Last Home in Solace.

"Don't worry about it, Frodo. I know I have a map that must show the way somewhere in my bags"

Rummaging through his bags he continues just as cheerfully

"But even if I do not, it's still no problem, me and my friends found Pax Tharkas almost by accident and I even found a spellbook for Raistlin!"

The carelessness with which the Kender deals with this grave situation would be much surprising to the people at the meet but most have been warned by the elves about the little man with the many bags.

((That was a LONG sentence.)) :smalltongue:

Zelda raises an eyebrow, smiling affectionately, but doesn't speak.

Executor
2010-11-27, 02:17 PM
Lunatacs

There was silence for a long moment, as the guard seemed to be discussing you with his comrades. Then, echoing all around the great canyon in which the Morannon sat, the distinctive sound of laughter, laughter of both men and orcs. Slowly, with a great groan of straining metal, and the grunts of working trolls on the other side, the Black Gate opened, just a crack, to let out a single figure. The figure was a tall and evil shape, mounted upon a black horse. The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. His helm obscured every feature of his face, but for his mouth, and around the open mouth of the helmet, letters of ruin and despair were etched into the steel in the tongue of Mordor. In a fell and terrible voice, he spoke:

"I am the Mouth of Sauron. Is there anyone in this rabble with the authority to speak to me? Or indeed to understand me?" he said, sneering as he said.

Nightmare

The heavy steel doors of the Sanctum swung open of their accord as you reached the top of the stairs. Within the bare room, you watch as the shadow that usually fills the room seems to come together, to congeal and solidify, until it takes a solid form. Like a man, but greater in stature than any man, but not gigantic. The light of the torches seems dimmed by the form's presence. He was all in robes of black and dark grey, with a hood pulled low over his face so you could not see his features. Indeed, the only skin visible was his hands, his pale white skin contrasting with the darkness of his robes. The hands were perfect, flawless in every way, except for the missing ring finger on his right hand. Yet, in a way, that flaw made the hands seem more real, even enhancing their beauty.

"My servant, I have a task for thee. The Nazgul failed this task, do you think that you are equal to it?" the voice of Sauron boomed and whispered from within the shadows of the hood over his face.

Viera Champion
2010-11-27, 02:22 PM
The Lunatacs
The other Lunatacs shied away as the Mouth of Sauron spoke, but Luna was not afraid. For a short little woman, she was quite brave. Perhaps that was because of the giant white beast she sat upon.
I shall speak to whomever I please.
She says defiantly in her crackling voice.

darkblade
2010-11-27, 02:49 PM
Nightmare

Not even the eye of Soul Edge can gaze upon the Dark Lord for long so it rapidly shifts about trying to avoid it's master's glance where it's host kneels in reverence. "Your will shall be done. What is your task?"

Executor
2010-11-27, 03:42 PM
Romans

It had been a week since... the Storm. A week since Centurion Marcus Andronicus of the 12th Legion had lost his way in the most otherworldy storm he had ever seen in his twelve years with the Legions. They had been deep in Gaul, in the parts without roads, and where no map had ever been drawn. Deep in the savage lands of the most savage people on Earth. The 12th had covered a lot of ground that day, and Marcus' century was just making it into camp when the Storm hit. It had begun with a sudden sharp wind from the West, blowing hard and growing steadily, till the roar of it drowned out every word anyone spoke, even the shouts and screams of the terrified. The clouds seemed to charge back and forth across the sky like disciplined cavalry, the earth shook violently, lightning streaked through the gathering darkness, thunder roared like a thousand lions. Veteran Roman soldiers, men who had seen a thousand horrors, despaired and threw down their arms and shouted that it was the end of all things. And in the centre of all the chaos, Marcus looked to the skies, and he saw a figure, with a beard of the purest white, who seemed to be directing the storm. He saw Olympian Jupiter himself, and Jupiter looked down upon Marcus, and stretched his great arm towards him, and there was a crash of thunder, and Marcus saw no more.

That was a week ago.

When Marcus had awoken, he was in a small woody clearing, with eight other soldiers of his Legion, and two Cretan archers who had been auxilaries in Caesar's army. They now stood behind him as he looked down upon the most fetching and beautiful sight he had ever seen. A valley, wooded with a little river at the bottom, with the friendliest and homeliest looking little village sitting down by the river. A thin plume of smoke rose upon from the houses of the little village, the smoke of friendly cooking fires and warm hearths. Even the air of the valley seemed to be golden in colour, the entire vista inexpressibly beautiful.

"Is this Elysium?" said Faustus Janarius. His brother was a flamen back in Rome, and he was the most religious of the band.

"Bona dea... Maybe we are dreaming?" breathed Lucius Pullonius, Marcus' optio.

"Gentleman, perhaps we should go down and see rather than stand here and speculate?" Marcus said wryly, and then reshouldered his forked staff which carried his pack and, using his vitis stick as a walking stick, lead his men down one of the narrow, rocky goat paths that seemed to go down further into the valley. As they descended, they heard voices. Distant at first, but growing closer with every step. Silvery, bell-like voices, which sang light, ridiculous ditties, and as the words became clear, the Romans realize that the voices were singing about them:

"Tralalalaley, here down in the valley
Haha!
Oh where are you going?
With cloaks all-a-flowing?
Going no knowing
Are you here to see Mr. Baggins?
Tralalalaley, here down in the valley
Haha!"

"Nymphs" whispered Stelios, one of the Cretan archers, to his friend Delios, the other Cretan.

"Or naiads" the other Greek replied.

"Who are you? We are lost soldiers, from Caesar's army. Can you tell us where we are?" Marcus called out when they reached the valley floor, pausing at the edge of the woods.

Nightmare

"My enemies gloat over my Ring in Rivendell, where the cursed Elves dwell. They will bring it to Gondor. They will try to master it themselves. This they cannot do, but I suffer without my Ring. Find Baggins, the halfling that bears my Ring, kill him. Bring the Ring to me. Sauron said, and his every word was filled with persuasion and command. This was a being used to being obeyed, but more than capable of persuading those it could not command.

Lunatacs

The Mouth smiled, a fell, terrible smile which exposed unnaturally long, even, yellowed teeth. Again he spoke:

"Whom might you be, little girl? The leader of his pack of brigands?" he asked, twitching his head jerkily and unnaturally, like a puppet on a string.

darkblade
2010-11-27, 04:50 PM
Nightmare

Nightmare needs no compulsion to be pursaded into doing this for the master. Soul Edge hungers for souls, the souls of great warriors and immortal elves shall apease it well.

"Of course my master. I will require transport if I am to make it to stop the ring from making it to Gondor in time."

Viera Champion
2010-11-27, 04:53 PM
The Lunatacs
Luna sneers.
I am NOT a little girl! But I AM the leader.

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-27, 09:33 PM
Orthanc
A massive tower stands, defiant to the plains of Isengard, and around it, hundreds of fires constantly burn. Around these fires swarm thousands of orcs, either crafting the implements of war, constructing fortifications, or other general tasks, all under the guidance of their master, who watches them from the tower. He is the wizard Saruman, formely the white, but now of many colors, and his robes reflect it, subtly shimmering every color at the same time. His pale lips form a smile as he observes his work, thousands of orcs fiercly loyal to him, and his elite Uruk-Hai, all gathered below, ready to obey his every command, an army that will conquer and subjugate the nations of men. He in fact believed that it could rival or outmatch Sauron's forces someday, a thought that brought joy to his mind, and for the next couple minutes, he continued to play out a victory scenario within his mind.

ThePhantom
2010-11-27, 09:58 PM
Orthanc

Sitting on a part of a balcony nearby Saruman is a man wearing a black coat. His one yellow eye, the other covered by an eyepatch, watches the hordes below.

"Quite a sight."

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-27, 10:10 PM
Orthanc
Without even looking at the man Saruman responds with, "Indeed. I have an army capable of tearing down Minas Tirith, and each day it continues to grow in size and strength. With it, the flame of man shall be snuffed out, and it shall be the dawn of a new age."
His pride seems to fill the air while he says this, and his smile grows larger.

ThePhantom
2010-11-27, 10:53 PM
Orthanc

The man with an eyepatch, black and white hair tied back in a ponytail, looks towards the wizard.

"And what about the crow that flew the coop? The old bird will be stiring up a storm for us."

Cracklord
2010-11-28, 08:12 AM
The Council of Elrond
The half elf raises a hand. "Maps we can come by." He says, then stares at Tass. "But though we have given our council, we have not yet turned to you, or Zelda. And so I must ask a favor of you. Tell them how you came to be here, and let conclusions be drawn as they will. Keep to the tale as you can without straying, for time is of the essence and night draws close. Even here, some things are best not discussed when the shadow falls across the land."
He looks down at Tass, not unkindly, and there is none of the patronizing quality or demand most people use in his presence.
"Tell us how you came to be here, for that is a story that concerns the fate of the ring as much as anything said so far."

Mina Kobold
2010-11-28, 03:11 PM
The Council Of Elrond

Tass looks at the half elf and smiles

(Spoilered for those not wishing the ending of Dragonlance Legends spoiled by a motor mouth of a Kender :smalltongue:)

"How I got here? I had just gotten back to Solace from the past where Raistlin tried to become Fistandantilus and defeat Takhisis but me and Caramon, that's Raistlin's brother, very different but still really fun to travel with, talked him from it and he helped us get back. I wonder if he is dead now? Anyway Caramon was talking to Tika and I saw the device that my good friend Gnimsh had made. It was actually that device that got us back to 356. Such an interesting item doesn't want to just gather dust so I took it with me and went out for a little trip"

The Kender takes a short breath and continues

"I got a bit off my way and almost ran into some goblins but before they could see me I clicked a switch on the device and poof! I was just out there"

He points out toward the hills.

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-28, 09:37 PM
Saruman snorts at this saying, "That fool Gandalf is no threat to us. I will ensure that crossing the mountains will be nigh impossible, and even if he succeeds, what then? He shall find no friends in Rohan, Wormtoungue has ensured that, and he could not possibly assault us here. Nonetheless I will keep careful watch on him, as a necessary precaution of course."

ThePhantom
2010-11-28, 09:47 PM
"And that leaves me with what?"

Xigbar stands up.

"Training the troops? As if. You have got to have something better for me to do."

bvdk99
2010-11-29, 10:57 PM
The Council Of Elrond

Tass looks at the half elf and smiles

(Spoilered for those not wishing the ending of Dragonlance Legends spoiled by a motor mouth of a Kender :smalltongue:)

"How I got here? I had just gotten back to Solace from the past where Raistlin tried to become Fistandantilus and defeat Takhisis but me and Caramon, that's Raistlin's brother, very different but still really fun to travel with, talked him from it and he helped us get back. I wonder if he is dead now? Anyway Caramon was talking to Tika and I saw the device that my good friend Gnimsh had made. It was actually that device that got us back to 356. Such an interesting item doesn't want to just gather dust so I took it with me and went out for a little trip"

The Kender takes a short breath and continues

"I got a bit off my way and almost ran into some goblins but before they could see me I clicked a switch on the device and poof! I was just out there"

He points out toward the hills.

The Council of Elrond

Zelda nods. "That is a curious occurance if I have ever heard one. However, we musn't stray too far from the true, pressing subject of this meeting. Who shall accompany Mr. Baggins on his quest?

nanobot_swarm
2010-12-01, 06:07 PM
Saruman gives a deep laugh and replies, "That will be quite unnecessary, if you wish to entertain yourself, raid the Rohirrian villages, strike fear down into their hearts. Fear will kill their minds, and make it all the easier to wipe them from the face of middle-earth."

Executor
2010-12-01, 06:58 PM
Nightmare:

"In the stables, you shall find the last of our Rohan stallions. Take one for yourself, and a small company of Haradrim cavalry. Find the Ring, and kill the one who carries it" said the Dark Lord of Mordor, pointing his fingerless-hand to the West.

"Beware the Wizard, Olorin. He is weak, but cunning. And beware of the foul Elves. They shall try to protect their prize. They think they can use it to usurp. The Ring serves only its Master!"

Lunatacs

"I am sure you are, little girl. So tell me, if you are the leader of this rabble. What brings you to the gate of Mordor? I am told you wish to enter the service of my Lord Sauron the Great" said the Mouth, drawing out ever syllable of Sauron's name, as if he drew some kind of sick enjoyment out of saying it. He smiled again, his strange wide and flat teeth giving his smile a fell aspect to send shivers down the spine of a grown man.

"What makes you think you are worthy to serve the Lord of the Earth?" he asked.

darkblade
2010-12-01, 07:15 PM
Nightmare

"As does Soul Edge my Lord." Nightmare says turning away from the Dark Lord and heading towards the stables.

The cursed warrior gathers up the Calvary and mounts the horse. With his small force the Azure rides out into the West.

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 07:37 PM
The Council of Elrond
The Lord of Imaldris gives you a look of gentle reproach. "Be not so quick to dismiss that which you do not understand. Who can know the significance of even the tiniest detail. Even the wise cannot guess all the paths of the future."
He returns his attention to the Kender, who feels a little uncomfortable at the scrutiny. He has been stared at by great wizards and kings, yet this man here seems older and mightier still, some being of ancient time beyond his understanding. "We resolve to take the only path that offers hope, a fools hope though it may be, are to take the ring to the fire. And in the hour of our need, a stranger from a distant land should appear, brought by some device beyond our knowledge. Who can guess what else occurs? Who can know whether similar occurrences to not dot our world. For the enemy is wise, and sees things with a clarity even we do not, and his power has always been the twisting of the world against itself. No, I think this is of more import then you believe."
Then he sighs, and sits back down. "But if we are to take the ring to the fire, who should we send? Who would brave the darkness and carry all the hopes and fears of the world on their shoulders?"
Tasselhoff feels a gaze on him, and looks over to see Gandalf looking at him meaningfully beneath bushy brows.

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 07:45 PM
Saruman gives a deep laugh and replies, "That will be quite unnecessary, if you wish to entertain yourself, raid the Rohirrian villages, strike fear down into their hearts. Fear will kill their minds, and make it all the easier to wipe them from the face of middle-earth."

Xigbar walks away from the balcony.

"Good enough."

And he warps away to do just that.

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 08:25 PM
Xigbar
Rohan was a land of open grasslands, of plains and rolling hills, without fences or borders, without walls or roads. One could travel a week without seeing any sign of the dominion of man, it was as large as all of Gondor, and yet for the most part it was empty but for the occasional lonely village and farmalnd.
For Rohan is a land without boundaries, or frontiers, or even armies. Every man there is trained to be a warrior, a rider and horsemaster, as it has been since the ancient days of Eorl the Young. You may ride for weeks and months and never leave it, feathergrass and Horsetail as far as the eye can see.
Beyond the plains rise white mountains, and that is where you stand now, looking down at the green ocean of grass. Towards the forest of Fangorn, an ancient gloomy, dark wood of towering evergreens. Stretching towards the sky over their heads, the treetops swayed in the wind, but down on the ground, it was still.
As you stare at the wood, you see dust rising in a cloud near the forest, as a small army of the horsemasters ride out, patrolling their borders. And at their head rides Théodred, son of Theodan, Second Marshal of the Riddermark and heir of Rohan. Tall and fair, in plate of black and gold, he looks kingly, his gray eyes flashing and his long hair streaming in the wind.

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 09:54 PM
Xigbar smirks. Well, well, looks like fate has handed him an advange. Warping to a closer location, Zigbar waits for Théodred to get into range.

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 10:05 PM
Xigbar
With astonishing speed and skill they checked their steeds, wheeled and came charging around. Soon the nobody found himself in a ring of horsemen moving in a running circle, up the hill-slope behind them and down, round and round them and drawing ever inwards.
Without a word or cry, suddenly the riders halted, and lowered their weapons. A thicket of spears were pointed at the scarred nobody, and a few had bows in hand and arrows already fitted on the string.
Then rode forward a tall man, taller then all the rest, clad in black and gold plate, with a face noble and fair as some ancient god. His hair was long and yellow, set in braids, and his raptor's glare was focused upon him. He advanced until his spear was a foot from the robed man's chest.
"Who are you and what are you doing in this land." He asked in the common speech of the west, his manner that of one used to command and obedience. "From you're look if nothing else I would think you a servant of the enemy."

darkblade
2010-12-01, 10:16 PM
Council of Elrond

"If no one else shall pledge their vows then I shall go with Master Frodo." The Lion sitting amongst the Council speaks those not in the know of the presence of Aslan the Great Lion had no doubt assumed him to be a pet of one of the Elves pressent but he is far more he was there when Morgoth fell and when the Rings were forged. He sung the songs of life before Morgoth began to corrupt them and he would continue to sing them until the end of days comes to Middle Earth even after the Elves and Wizards had fadded into memory.

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 10:27 PM
Xigbar

Xigbar relaxs as the riders of Rohan surround him. He holds up his hands letting the riders see that he has no weapons.

"Name's Xigbar, and I was passing through. I have business in Bree, and traveling from Gondor, the shorter way is through it. Do you alway bother folks traveling?"

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 10:47 PM
Elrond
Aslan, like all the Valar and Maiar who remained on Middle Earth with the passing of the ages has been diminished, his power spent in the teachings and birthings, the giving of life and creation of beauty, just as all else, even The Dark Lord who first arose and brought his corruption into the world. Yet the power in you is enough, you think, for this task.
While you grow less, Sauron has grown strong, too strong to be confronted directly as he was of old, but there is strength in this world yet, strength enough to resist him. Or so you all hope.

Bilbo laughed. "I have never heard nor known you to give pleasant advice or good news before," he said. "As all your pleasant advice has been good, I wonder if this is not bad. Elves may thrive on speech, dwarves on weariness and you on talk of great deeds, but I am only an old hobbit."
Elrond nods at this, gladdened by both Aslans offer and, at long last, getting to what the council was intended to decide. Who will take the ring? "I should think it is only right for you to go, if you will it. For if even you may offer no hope, then all is lost." He says, his tone modulated with respect. "If the ring is to set out, it must go soon. Those who go pass into the domain of the enemy far from aid. If Frodo is to be the Ring-bearer, then who is to accompany him?"
A hobbit gets to his feet,, and though it barely increases his stature, his shadow stood as tall as any king. Sam is well fed and soft, though his hands are calloused from tools and hard work, and his arms are stronger then you would give him credit for. His face, usually quick to smile with good-natured feeling is now solemn, and certain. He's made up his mind, and will not be budged. "I'll go with him. He'll need me."
Elrond looked grave, but nodded at this. Sam would not be dissuaded, and will was more an issue then power. The greatest lords could not win the Black Gate and take the land of shadow, the wisest could no more conceive the risks then the simple. He would just as soon entrust Sam's loyalty in this case.
"I cannot help you much, not even with counsel, for I can foresee very little of your road, and how your task is to be achieved I do not know. The shadow has crept to the borders of the mountains, and under the shadow all is dark to me. You will meet many foes, some open, some disguised, and you may find friends upon your way when you least look for it. And you will need companions to go with you, as far as they will, or fortune allows. The number must be few, as your armor shall be speed, secrecy and ability to slip through defenses. For even had I a host such as Gil-Galad once raised and assembled in the elder days it would avail you little."
Gandalf got to his feet. "I will go. You will need me before the end, and this shall be my greatest task, perhaps the end of my labors. Just as Aslan sets himself against the Shadow in the East, I must set myself against Saruman for a reckoning long coming."
Elrond seemed unsurprised at that. "Next we shall choose those to represent the other free peoples of the world, elves, dwarves and men. We have spoken and they are willing to go at least to the passes over the mountains, and maybe beyond. For men, you shall have Aragorn son of Arathorn, for the Ring of Isildur concerns him closely."
Aragorn smiled. "And Boromir too will be a part of the company. He is a valiant man." Boromir, a tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-hair and grey eyes of a bird of prey, proud and stern of glance. His garments were rich, and his cloak was lined with fur; his locks were shorn about his shoulders, with a well trimmed warriors beard. On a baldric he wore a great horn tipped with silver, and at his hip a fine sword.
Next to stand is Glorfindel, tall and straight; his hair of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of joy, his eyes bright and keen, and his voice like music. A mighty Elf-lord terrible in his wrath, clad in robes of grey and silver that seemed to shine with an inner radience, as though within him burned starlight.
"I returned from the undying lands to give the world what protection I could." He says in a light, musical voice with a creeping hint of steel. "I will aid you as I can."
Elflord nodded at this. "And Gimli, son of Gloin has volunteered for the dwarves.
Gimli nodded, a smouldering fire in his eyes, his beard bristling as his jaw jutted. "You have my axe."
"I dare not risk many more, for with every one of your number the risk increases, and the cloak of secrecy thinner."

Xigbar
"These are dark times." He replied, his gaze wavering a little. "And where do you come from, that brings you so far this way? You have not the look of a Southron, Easterling or man of Harad."

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 11:00 PM
Xigbar

Xigbar waves a hand at the question.

"Are you that widely traveled, that you know what folks for anywhere looks like? Besides, I said I came from Gondor. Denethor likes his letters to get to where there going on time. But as it is, I am weary, so if you would tell me where the closest place to rest is, I'll gladly be on my way."

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 11:08 PM
Xigbar
While he does not looked convinced, he looks satisfied at least, though the idea that the Steward of Gondor could take interest in Bree was laughable. Fortunately, he had never heard of it, and imagined it to be one of the few remaining fiefdoms in what was once the land of Angmar.
"Thunderclap!" He shouts suddenly, and a white horse, already saddled and bridled trots over, lowering it's head and giving a sharp neigh. He hands it to the nobody without breaking eye contact. "May he serve you better then his last master. Return him to our stables, I will hold you to it."
The Riders raise their spears, realizing that the two of you seem to have come to an understanding.

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 11:23 PM
Xigbar

(You know, since Nobodies are unnatural, wouldn't animals be able to tell that something is strange about Xigbar?)

"Don't worry. I will."

Xigbar smiles, a horse might be handy, and useful for making people think Rohan is weakening.

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 11:25 PM
Xigbar
(Don't know. I've never played the second game, so it should be your call.)

He inclines his head, then turns his steed, and the horses move around you, like a river breaking around a rock and galloping away.

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 11:30 PM
(For the stake of not changing things up, let's not let most animals spot the strangess of Xigbar.)

Xigbar waits for the riders to ride off, then mounts Thunderclap.

"Your'e going to be quite handy."

And he heads off for the nearest town.

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 11:56 PM
Xigbar
You ride a while, leaving the riders far behind. At long last, you crest a hill to see the village beneath. Handmade buildings, cut of timber and roofed in thatch, with little stonework. A simple people, they seldom build for more then function, which shows in most of their buildings.

ThePhantom
2010-12-02, 12:02 AM
Xigbar

Xigbar rides into the town, looking around for someone to talk to. The old man isn't ready quite for his hand to shown, so the best thing to do is let these folk relax. Just need to keep these fools let down their guard, so when its time, they can be taken. Of course with no emotions, not a trace of his thoughts can be spotted.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-02, 09:31 AM
The Council Of Elrond

The Kender speaks up

"You cannot leave me behind, think of the adventures! I am not going to let that opportunity go by, not even if I have to drag myself through the Abyss again to get to Mordor!"

Somewhere in the back if his head, Tasselhoff hears the familiar sound of Flint Fireforge's voice bellowing "Stubborn little Kender! You should listen to these people, your place is not in this quest to destroy a ring!" But even with the wise old dwarf's advice he still can't keep his mind of the adventures the fellowship might face.

Executor
2010-12-02, 05:50 PM
Romans

The hike down into the valley was long and deceptively treacherous in places. All around them, unseen, were the laughing, happy, singing voices of the nymphs or naiads or whatever they were. The singing seemed to weave some kind of spell around Marcus and his men, and despite their grim conditions, far from home and confused as to their location, the singing put them in a jolly mood. Soon, the legionaries were singing along in amateurish but enthusiastic voices, despite the words and even the language being unfamiliar to them. The nymph-singing soon gave way to Lucius leading the men in a loud and irreverent marching song, complete with duet from Stelios and Delios. Even Marcus, stolid, Catonian Marcus Andronicus, smiled at the men's happiness. Something about this valley just seemed to relax them and make them happy.

In single file, mail rustling with each step, hunched beneath the weight of dozens of pounds of gear, but nonetheless in high spirits, the soldiers crossed a small arching bridge over the cool waters of the brook at the bottom of the valley. At last, they came to stand before the gates of this nymph village. The wall that surrounded it seemed decorative more than anything else, and the buildings that made it up were equally decorative, carved and elegant. Everything seemed to be built around the forest trees, rather than the trees being cleared out for construction. There was no gate, merely an arched tunnel through the wall. Now, the singing had died down, and they were very aware of the silence. The only noise was the rustling of the wind in the trees.

"Helloooo?" Marcus called loudly through the gateway, not wishing to enter without permission and cause offense to whatever spirits or gods lived in this otherwordly place.

darkblade
2010-12-02, 06:31 PM
Aslan

"Brave Kender we would be honoured to have you but with you we must close off the Fellowship lest we become too large and easily spotted by the enemy." Aslan says nodding towards Tass.

Nightmare

The Azure Knight continues riding towards Gondar where he presumes the Ring to be.

Cracklord
2010-12-02, 06:57 PM
Romans
((I'll bite. Bringing you to Rivendell is a bad idea for several reasons. For one thing, it's in the middle of nowhere, and already so well defended there is little use for you there. From there, you can't really go anywhere, and are stuck out of the way, beyond the reach of the rest of the story. For another, they wouldn't send you with the fellowship, for the same reason they didn't send fifty elven warriors or a hundred Dunedain, or whatever. Because the point is not to fight, it's to slip around unnoticed, and ten legionaries would actually make that harder. Sure they can fight, but the Fellowship can already fight, and the point is not to. So in all effect, going to Rivendell is a bad idea. Now if you'd rather, we could start at Lothlorien, or Gondor, or Dale, or several other places, but not Rivendell so much.))

Council of Elrond
Elrond opens his mouth to attempt to dissuade you when Gandalf stands up. He looks a lot like Fizban, though his robes are different, and his hat is in better shape. Maybe he's like Fizban.
"I think that would be well." He says, ignoring the strange stares everyone around gives him. "You came for a reason, although none of us yet may guess it. Better to trust to chance then wisdom in this, for only a fools hope binds us together."
Merry and Pippin are nowhere to be seen. The company now numbers Frodo, Sam, Aslan, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Glorfindel, Gimli and Tasselhoff.

Xigbar
Most of the people are at work. They stop to give you curious looks, but for the most part continue their own lives. There are plenty, all with the look of smallfolk, peasants if you will. Not the people who would be privy to the current disposition and secrets of the realm.

ThePhantom
2010-12-02, 07:26 PM
Xigbar

Well, at least there should an easy way to stir up trouble here. All it would take is a little cleverness.

Smiling, he rides out of the village.

bvdk99
2010-12-02, 08:01 PM
((@Darkblade/Cracklord: We had agreed previously that Zelda would be joining the quest, so... :smallconfused:))

Zelda stands. Aslan, we should not be so quick to decide important matters such as these. Strength is found in numbers, and I believe my services could be extremely useful on this quest.

Cracklord
2010-12-02, 08:25 PM
Council of Elrond
((Yes we had, and we had to wait until you offered before you could join, didn't we?))
Zelda is given a place as well, and the company is ready to depart. Other stuff happens, including Narsil being reforged into Anduril, Frodo being provided with heirlooms from Bilbo, and the rest of you given opportunities to take anything you desire. But this can be read in the book by a writer more tallented then me, and so is best left out of this.

bvdk99
2010-12-02, 08:45 PM
Council of Elrond
((Yes we had, and we had to wait until you offered before you could join, didn't we?))
Zelda is given a place as well, and the company is ready to depart. Other stuff happens, including Narsil being reforged into Anduril, Frodo being provided with heirlooms from Bilbo, and the rest of you given opportunities to take anything you desire. But this can be read in the book by a writer more tallented then me, and so is best left out of this.

((Oh, okay, I thought you were agreeing with Aslan in that it should be cut off there.))

Cracklord
2010-12-06, 04:24 AM
The Romans
You arrive at the bottom of the valley, to step into a place out of time, and seemingly out of this world. How can you describe the expanse of trees, the vibrant colors, the majestic mountains, and the huge sweep of blue sky dotted with fluffy white clouds marching off into the distance.
The size of the breathtaking mountains, their imposing slopes, their luscious color, was beyond anything they had ever seen in italy, or even imagined.
Snowcapped peaks towered around the small community of houses built in an unfamiliar design of sweeping elegance and casual artistry, and yet each of them seemed warm, homely and inviting. The buildings sat at the edge of a meadow of velvety green grasses sprinkled with wildflowers, that bloomed despite the lateness of the season, and a river burbled happily beneath, with water clearer then could be imagined. Right behind the buildings, huge old white pines towered over them, sheltering them from the full force of the wind. And scattered amongst them were statues and monuments, shrines and other symbols of faded times and lost grandeur.
Paradise could not look more inviting.
It seemed out of time, out of existence, and the air was crisp and clear.
Ahead, you see a circle of beings. As you draw closer, you see a lion, impossibly fair people who seem to glow with their own radiance, men tall and broad, and other, stranger beings.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-20, 03:45 PM
Council Of Elrond

As other parts of the fellowship are busy saying their farewells and preparing for the journey with serious faces, a Kender is looking around in Rivendell. He does not seem burdened at all by the journey ahead and seem to actually be bored of all things, likely because he has gotten lost ad can't seem to find anybody.

"Where is everybody? They're probably off getting into trouble even before everything begins, I should make sure they are OK"

And with a reasoning only a Kender could make, he begins looking in every room, taking a look at a book or trinket here or there that he finds he should remind Elrond to put in a safer spot.