PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Nonlethal damage feat?

caden_varn
2010-11-25, 04:29 AM
Is there a feat in any of the official WotC books for 3.5 which allows me to reduce or remove the penalty for dealing nonlethal damage with a normal weapon?

Failing that, is there any simple or martial weapon that deals non-lethal damage as standard which is better than a sap in normal combat?

Aethir
2010-11-25, 04:36 AM
Book of Exalted Deeds has the Subduing Strike feat. It has no pre-reqs and does exactly what you're asking for, and is also available as a Fighter bonus feat.

holywhippet
2010-11-25, 04:42 AM
The monks unarmed strike can do non-lethal damage without any penalty. Even as a straight monk the damage is pretty good. You can throw in a number of classes to make your damage output really high. More of a character build than a character option though.

Hanuman
2010-11-25, 04:58 AM
I think Merciful Weapon does this as a weapon modifier (could be wrong).

There are weapons that deal NL damage in BoED,

Subduing strike is both a fighter bonus feat and a combat oriented feat which means fighters and psi wars alike can take it.

Touch of golden ice is also a really good nonlethal option, golden ice is one of my all time favorite things in dnd.

Thurbane
2010-11-25, 05:18 AM
Indeed it does...transforms damage to nonlethal, and adds an extra 1d6 nonlethal on top of that.

There are weapons that deal NL damage in BoED
Yep...the Tuncheon is a one handed non-lethal weapon, 1d8 damage. Can be two handed and Power Attacked.

caden_varn
2010-11-25, 05:44 AM
THanks everyone - I'll check out BoED

HunterOfJello
2010-11-25, 06:51 AM
There's a prestige class in Cityscape called the Crimson Scourge that can do nonlethal damage with normal weapons at it's first level. You might not like the fluff though, since they use the ability to subdue runaway slaves.

Hanuman
2010-11-25, 06:53 AM
Bring 'em back alive is a Justicular1 class feature from Complete Warrior is a total NL damage conversion I believe.

Psyren
2010-11-25, 08:34 AM
For casters, there is also Nonlethal Substitution (originally in BoED, reprinted in CArc.)

ericgrau
2010-11-25, 01:18 PM
Indeed it does...transforms damage to nonlethal, and adds an extra 1d6 nonlethal on top of that.
And you can turn the property on/off with a standard action whenever you want. Useful purely for the 1d6, as long as you aren't fighting a lot of foes immune to nonlethal damage like undead.

Greenish
2010-11-25, 01:21 PM
And you can turn the property on/off with a standard action whenever you want. Useful purely for the 1d6Well, if all the other damage dealers in the party are also doing nonlethal damage. Otherwise you'll be nibbling different pools of HP.

Melayl
2010-11-25, 01:53 PM
Well, if all the other damage dealers in the party are also doing nonlethal damage. Otherwise you'll be nibbling different pools of HP.

But when the sum of both of those "pools" reaches the target's HP total, they still fall unconscious.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-11-25, 03:39 PM
But when the sum of both of those "pools" reaches the target's HP total, they still fall unconscious.

Exactly. The only tactical disadvantage is if they receive in-combat healing, in which case the healing counts for 'double.'

Benejeseret
2010-11-25, 03:57 PM
I believe there is a Fighter variant Pugalist that can add up to big unarmed nonlethal damage bonuses as fighter feat replacements. Not sure its source, maybe dragon magazine