PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Cleric [Pathfinder]

Lord Bingo
2010-11-25, 05:24 AM
So, my character died last night:smalleek: A combination of piss poor luck with the dice and the lack of a party cleric meant that he lasted a grand total of one-and-a-half sessions:smallannoyed: As we were merely all killed I have been called upon to make a Cleric for my next character. Naturally:)

Here's the thing: In all my 20-something years of playing the various incarnations of D&D (and other systems) never once have I played a caster and I really need help with a spellcasting strategy and Feat/Trait choice as I would like to do other things with my spellcasting than be a band aid for my future near suicidal party members.

I am starting as a 5th level human cleric.

My abilities after racial (and middle aged) adjustment are:

STR 12 +1
DEX 14 +2
CON 13 +1
INT 12 +1
WIS 20 +5
CHA 16 +3

*rather good:smallsmile: (I had luck with those dice:smallconfused:)

We are using the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and the available books are the Core Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide as well as the PfSRD. Deity must be chosen from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I have not decided on a personality for him/her yet, so feel free to suggest almost anything -an evil character won't work with this party.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sillycomic
2010-11-25, 06:45 AM
Clerics have a couple of good spellcasting strategies beyond healing. They make good buffers, debuffers, utility and summoning casters without too much effort on your part.

Buffers

Spells:
1. Bless, Magic Weapon, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith
2. Aid, align weapon, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Resist Energy, Shield Other, Weapon of Awe
3. Channel Vigor, Magic Vestments, Nap Stack, Prayer, Protection from Energy

With this option I would say make a sword and board character, up your AC as high as possible so you are never hit. You won't do much damage, but that's fine... you're buffing up the rest of your party so they do all the damage.

Feats: Heavy armor proficiency, Improved initiative and Selective Channeling.

Get the reactionary trait.

Domains you would want are: Luck, Glory, Healing or Protection.

Debuffer

Spells:
1. Bane, Cause Fear, Command, Doom.
2. Darkness, Enthrall, Hold Person, Silence.
3. Bestow Curse, Blindness/Deafness, Contagion, Deeper darkness, Dispel Magic

For this you want to be mobile, so get a mithral breastplate or something like that. Weapon doesn't matter cause you'll be casting spells.

Feats: You want to up your DC's for your spells. Spell Focus, Selective Channeling, Persist Spell, combat casting.

Domains: Travel, Madness or Charm

Utility Caster

Spells:
1. comprehend Languages, Obscuring Mist, Dancing Lantern, Endure Elements, hide from Undead, Sanctuary
2. Ancestral Communion, Augury, Calm Emotions, Delay Poison, Remove Paralysis, Share Language, Shatter, Zone of Truth
3. Continual Flame, Create Food and Water, Elemental Speech, Helping Hand, Nap Stack, Sacred Bond, Speak with Dead, Stone Shape, Water Walk, Wind Wall

This is the cleric who has a spell for every situation that might come up. Once more light armor plus a good movement will be helpful for this build. Get a utility belt (handy haversack) and have at least 1 scroll of each of these spells.

Feats: Improved Initiative, Selective Channeling, Scribe Scroll

Domains: Magic and Knowledge

Summoner

The Summoning Cleric is just that... summon monsters. Throw some Buffing spells into this as well, so you can buff the monsters that you summon.

Feats: Selective Channeling, Spell Focus Conjuration, Augment Summoning.

Augment Summoning will make your summoned monsters even more unstoppable.

Domains: Plant, Animal and Strength.

Codzilla

Then there is also the Codzilla, but at the moment your stats aren't looking to be matched up for a cleric that wants to outfight the fighter. So, I would say leave this one alone, simply because it would be harder to do.

If you feel compelled though, take mostly buffing feats.

Use a greatsword (or similarly awesome weapon) lots of armor.

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Selective Channeling.

Domains: Strength, War and Plant (the only reason Plant domain is in here is that the Growth subdomain gives you Enlarge Person as a swift action several times a day... this is too awesome to pass up if you want to deal out massive damage)

Sorry there aren't more traits on here, that's the one area I am lacking in Pathfinder at the moment. Still have yet to sit down in that chapter and go over everything.

I hope this is a start for you though.