PDA

View Full Version : Gloura as a PC

Gnaritas
2010-11-25, 12:06 PM
I am interested in playing a Gloura as a PC.
Gloura is from Underdark (p88-89).

I want to see if i get this right.

At ECL 9 you get

Medium sized Fey
7 fey hitdice (6+6d6+7xCon hp, 3 BaB, +2 Fort, +5 Will, +5 Reflex, 6 + int skills)
Speed: 30 ft, fly 60ft (good)
Light Armor Proficiency.
Simple weapons proficiency
3 feats (i am not forced to take the listed ones am i?)
DR 10/Cold Iron
Darkvision 60 ft
Low-light vision
Unearthly Grace (CHA to saves and deflection AC)
+10 Dex
+4 Con
+2 Wis
+6 Cha
Bard spells (as 7th level)

Seems pretty decent to me.

So what can i do after this?
Bard seems the most obvious choice.
Paladin 2 for another Cha to saves could be nice.
Swordsage 2 for Wis to AC in light armor and easy access to Shadowblade.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-25, 12:11 PM
Not bad. Though don't think Unearthly & Divine Grace's stack (though I could be wrong).

Is there a version of Practised Spellcaster that uses your HD instead of Bard Levels for Bardic Music effects?

Tytalus
2010-11-25, 12:13 PM
Sublime Chord? It's going to be a pain to meet those skill requirements, though.

3 feats (i am not forced to take the listed ones am i?)

No.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-25, 12:18 PM
Yeah, you seem to have it about right ... although with Text Trumps Table (top of essentially every errata file), Grace is untyped to AC.

As for where to go from there... well, that depends. A two-level dip in Paladin and/or Swordsage will noticably increase your defenses (oh, and you'll also want to look up the Ascetic Mage feat from Complete Adventurer if you wish to go this route), but will do very little for your offensive punch. One level of Bard (for bardic music) and two levels of almost anything else (Due to skill caps) can qualify you for Sublime Chord (Complete Arcane), which does help with offensive punch, as it's a rapid-advancement Charisma-based Arcane (Sor/Wis/Bard spells) casting PrC. Sure, in a 'normal' game, you'll be three levels behind the Sorcerer in spell access (1.5 spell levels behind the Sorcerer, 2 full spell levels behind the Wizard), but oh look: You've also got +6 Charisma, which increases your save DC's by 3 - which means your save-or-X spells are just slightly more effective than the normal Sorcerer's spells (but not by much, and SR gives you more of a problem, and you don't have as many spell options, and a few other things).

Greenish
2010-11-25, 12:19 PM
Especially if you can buy out the LA, it's pretty nice. Bard or something to qualify for Sublime Chord might be the best option, since the stats don't lend themselves too well for melee, and for full casters you're hopelessly behind.

Straight bard could work too, though being behind in music is a bit meh.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-25, 12:31 PM
Especially if you can buy out the LA, it's pretty nice. Bard or something to qualify for Sublime Chord might be the best option, since the stats don't lend themselves too well for melee, and for full casters you're hopelessly behind.Yes, if LA buyoff is in play (or something else to mitigate, such as letting the LA take up one side in a Gestalt game) it works out very well - you're one half of a spell level behind the Sorcerer (one full spell level behind the Wizard), which is not really a bad place to be (outside of optimization circles, anyway).

Straight bard could work too, though being behind in music is a bit meh.Outside of optimization circles, yeah, that's work out just fine.

Ernir
2010-11-25, 01:51 PM
+1 to the Sublime Chord idea. Being two HD behind everyone else sucks, even if you're getting goodies out of it.

I'd look into getting myself some Turn Undead attempts, in order to take advantage of your Charisma.

In general, look through Person_Man's X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread. The main thing you are getting out of your level adjustment are the ability score modifiers, you want those ability score modifiers to apply to as many things as possible.

Is there a version of Practised Spellcaster that uses your HD instead of Bard Levels for Bardic Music effects?
Yup. Chaos Music, Dragon 326.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-11-25, 08:56 PM
Yup. Chaos Music, Dragon 326.

There should also be a feat that does the same thing in Complete Adventurer, if I recall correctly.