PDA

View Full Version : Snow

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 12:28 PM
It's snowing here! Well, not really snow. It's sort of the unholy offspring of snow and rain. It's not really sticking. But still, it's snowing! It's like Christmas (the holiday most associated with winter and snow) said to Thanksgiving "Nope, no more fall holidays. Winter's here now. Sorry Thanksgiving, but you're a turkey."

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-25, 12:38 PM
It's snowing here! Well, not really snow. It's sort of the unholy offspring of snow and rain.Are we talking sleet or frozen rain here? Anyway we are due some this week in the UK. Proper snow. The cold white stuff.

Blue Ghost
2010-11-25, 12:39 PM
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so no snow here, ever. :smallfrown:
Do go to Tahoe and/or Reno every winter though, so I get to experience plenty of it anyway. :smallsmile:

Spiryt
2010-11-25, 12:40 PM
I tried it once, didn't really feel good....

Hur hur

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-25, 12:44 PM
ah sleet... or as a former classmate so eloquently put it: "oooh look, that rain is bouncing!!"

Eternal Drifter
2010-11-25, 12:48 PM
Snow is a two edged sword, if you ask me. It caused a commotion at my school when it snowed on monday, and then school was canceled the next two days. Snowing again on Thanksgiving here...

Kislath
2010-11-25, 12:49 PM
No snow here, and we almost never see it. I'm in very south Alabama, and today my air conditioner is actually running on Thanksgiving. Crazy.

THAC0
2010-11-25, 12:51 PM
Snowing here, too.

Although, it is Alaska...

Actually, we just had Tuesday and Wednesday school canceled because it was above freezing - just enough so to create freezing rain that put inches of ice on everything. So I'm glad to see the snow.

Dada
2010-11-25, 12:51 PM
We've got a nice thin white coat on everything here in Copenhagen. Lovely :smallsmile:. It makes the winter much less dark and depressing.

Gullara
2010-11-25, 12:54 PM
:smallyuk: Snow *shudders* I hate hate hate snow. Take it all away some one, please. It's piled up all over the place and the roads are a mess.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 01:06 PM
:smallyuk: Snow *shudders* I hate hate hate snow. Take it all away some one, please. It's piled up all over the place and the roads are a mess.

I love snow and winter. I walk around wearing pretty much only cargo pants and a thin short sleeve shirt. I usually make wisecracks to my friends who actually wear layers. What weirdos.

Aidan305
2010-11-25, 01:07 PM
We had some last night here in Belfast as I was walking home from Fencing training.

Spiryt
2010-11-25, 01:13 PM
It was ridiculously warm here, for the middle of Novemeber here, on a serious note.

Just today it had finally dropped to around 0 - 4 C depending on the hour.

With actual drop below 0 in the night.

Before it was 17 C at some days... Crazy.

Still no snow for now, although today there were some flakes in the air, but way too few of them.

Temotei
2010-11-25, 01:20 PM
It's been snowing for about a week and a half in central Minnesota. :smallsmile:

I love snow. I don't love the cold, though.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 01:21 PM
It was ridiculously warm here, for the middle of Novemeber here, on a serious note.

Just today it had finally dropped to around 0 - 4 C depending on the hour.

With actual drop below 0 in the night.

Before it was 17 C at some days... Crazy.

Still no snow for now, although today there were some flakes in the air, but way too few of them.

Arg. Celsius. I can never remember the formula for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius. I know 0 C is around 33 or 34 Fahrenheit but I only know that because it's the freezing point of water.

Spiryt
2010-11-25, 01:27 PM
Arg. Celsius. I can never remember the formula for converting Fahrenheit to Celsius. I know 0 C is around 33 or 34 Fahrenheit but I only know that because it's the freezing point of water.

Google is pretty decent solution.

Although ideed Fahrenheit are kinda of pain. Never understood them, Kelvins, and in result, Celcius are plenty easy and logical, while Fahrenheit places water freezing and boiling point 180 degrees apart... In generally decimal world. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-11-25, 02:08 PM
I love snow and winter. I walk around wearing pretty much only cargo pants and a thin short sleeve shirt. I usually make wisecracks to my friends who actually wear layers. What weirdos.

What?! Are you nuts?:smalltongue:

How cold it where you're at any way? It been hovering around -20C (-4F) here. Parts of you fall off if you don't wear layers.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 02:13 PM
What?! Are you nuts?:smalltongue:

How cold it where you're at any way? It been hovering around -20C (-4F) here. Parts of you fall off if you don't wear layers.

Pretty cold. Last winter there was an epic snow storm with over a foot of snow. I walked around outside without a jacket or coat in short sleeves.

Gullara
2010-11-25, 02:15 PM
Pretty cold. Last winter there was an epic snow storm with over a foot of snow. I walked around outside without a jacket or coat in short sleeves.

Then I have to conclude either you are, in fact, nuts or it isn't as cold as you think. I'm going to go with the former. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 02:19 PM
Then I have to conclude either you are, in fact, nuts or it isn't as cold as you think. I'm going to go with the former. :smalltongue:

I'm half Russian. I'm immune to cold, or as we say...in Soviet Russia, cold gets you.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 02:21 PM
It was -10C and snowing here the last few days and now I'm sick because of it since I don't have any warm clothing :frown:

Fire. It keeps you warm and can solve just about every other problem in one's life.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-11-25, 02:21 PM
It was -10C and snowing here the last few days and now I'm sick because of it since I don't have any warm clothing :frown:

The fact that I'm full Russian didn't help much since I'm currently out of vodka.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-25, 02:23 PM
While snow is nice I prefer crisp frosts, that clean smell in the air and the look of a whole world covered in glitter.

Gullara
2010-11-25, 02:27 PM
I'm half Russian. I'm immune to cold, or as we say...in Soviet Russia, cold gets you.

Well that was my third guess:smalltongue:

PersonMan
2010-11-25, 02:28 PM
It snowed last night. It was 2C when I biked to school, and most of the snow had melted by the time I got out, but it was odd to see a place I'd only visited in summer for most of life covered in snow.

Speaking of epic snow, I once got around 2-3 feet down in Indianapolis. Which was piled up to around 4 feet at the edge of a road, giving me the option of walking down it or in the snow.

After the first day, I was able to step through my footprints.

Yora
2010-11-25, 02:36 PM
Started around here on Monday and stops and resumes all the time. There's some left in the morning and disappears until noon, but the hills around the city seem to be permanently covered.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-25, 02:37 PM
It's snowing here. I despise snow. I have to make a 4 hour train journey tomorrow with three changes and I am positive at least one of them will be late or cancelled.

I thoroughly hate snow.

DwarvenExodus
2010-11-25, 04:22 PM
Am I the only one with no snow? :smallfrown:

Oh, well, maybe tommorow. *fingers crossed*

Castaras
2010-11-25, 04:24 PM
Fire. It keeps you warm and can solve just about every other problem in one's life.

The fact that I'm full Russian didn't help much since I'm currently out of vodka.

Dr. Epic is a future psychic! :smalleek: :smalltongue: Unless I'm the only person seeing Don's post appear after Epic's....

Snow is nice and fun. Couldn't care less really, it'll still be cold. Would quite like it to not snow tonight or tomorrow though - don't want mum and dad to have to drive in it, it's not nice. :smallyuk:

Teddy
2010-11-25, 04:40 PM
We have around a decimetre deep layer of snow around her by now. It's quite pretty indeed, and I'm pretty happy that our commune has gotten better att getting it off the streets, since otherwise, I would have to ski to school. :smallamused:

Dr. Epic is a future psychic! :smalleek: :smalltongue: Unless I'm the only person seeing Don's post appear after Epic's....

Quite epic indeed. Sadly, he didn't seem to be able of predicting what post number Don's post would have...

Spiryt
2010-11-25, 04:42 PM
Whatever the reason is, my dog seriously loves snow.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z156/spiryt_bucket/CIMG3446.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z156/spiryt_bucket/CIMG3423.jpg

AshDesert
2010-11-25, 04:48 PM
It was about 80F (about 27C according to Google) for the past week, then dropped to 40 (4 Celsius) suddenly today. It doesn't snow often here (although we did get a white Christmas last year, that was cool) but when it does, even a half-inch is enough to get school cancelled, which is awesome. I'm really hoping for at least one snow day this year, if only to make fun of my friends in Minnesota (they got livid with rage because they haven't gotten a snow day in 6 years, not even when it was -32 degrees (-35 Celsius), and we got one two years ago when there was a half inch on the ground that melted by noon).

I miss really hard snows though, you can't go sledding on the paltry stuff that sticks here, and you run out of usable snow for snowballs in about 15 minutes.:smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 04:50 PM

Yeap, I'm psychic.

Actually, I'm not sure what happened. I saw their post, quoted and commented about it, but I guess they edited it and that somehow appeared after mine.

Dada
2010-11-25, 04:50 PM

You're not the only one.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-11-25, 04:57 PM
Lol I don't like the ugly Post edited by Don Julio Anejo on (overly detailed datestamp) postscript... So when I realized I wanted to add a few things to my post, I deleted it and made a new one. Didn't think Dr. Epic would reply in the 30 seconds that have passed :biggrin:

KuReshtin
2010-11-25, 04:57 PM
Whatever the reason is, my dog seriously loves snow.

Isn't it obvious? SNOW IS AWESOME!
That's why your dog loves snow.

Now snow at all up here in the west of Scotland. It sucks.
I like snow. Then again, I hope the roads are clear down south for next weekend, as I don't enjoy driving in this country when it snows.
Mainly because most other drivers in the UK can't drive in snowy conditions.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-25, 05:00 PM
Lol I don't like the ugly Post edited by Don Julio Anejo on (overly detailed datestamp) postscript... So when I realized I wanted to add a few things to my post, I deleted it and made a new one. Didn't think Dr. Epic would reply in the 30 seconds that have passed :biggrin:

Or I'm psychic and knew you would do that so I took advantage of the 30 second window.

Eldritch Knight
2010-11-25, 05:01 PM
We've already got about a foot of snow on the ground here.

Comet
2010-11-25, 05:03 PM
The snow just keeps coming!

There's a point where it goes from "Ooh, it's a white Christmas!" to "Aghblarglarbg summer can't come soon enough".

Gullara
2010-11-25, 05:09 PM

There's a point where it goes from "Ooh, it's a white Christmas!" to "Aghblarglarbg summer can't come soon enough".

That point is the moment the first snow flake touches the ground.

Teddy
2010-11-25, 05:12 PM

That point is when the temperature swings back to the positives again (Celsius), and all the nice snow turns into a wet and unnavigable slush which slowly thaws away and crumbles everything you've spent weeks (or months) building up. Also, did I mention that the roads become unnavigable when the compacted snow suddenly stops being compact, and no matter what mode of transportation you chose, you won't get anywhere.

In short words: I like snow. I don't like when the snow spends half a month thawing away. If it should thaw, then it should do so quickly. :smallannoyed:

Goldfly
2010-11-25, 06:41 PM
This is around the third year in a row that we didn't have snow before December up here. While snow tends to be very packy, and lasts until ~April, thus causing many problems, it feels weird going outside and seeing grass as opposed to six foot tall snowbanks.

Zexion
2010-11-25, 10:14 PM
We have about twenty centimeters of snow here in Vancouver, but no snow day for us kids. :smallannoyed:

Andraste
2010-11-26, 03:30 AM
Just got an inch or two of snow here on Tuesday, and school was canceled.

But, it's all gone now. :smallfrown:

CWater
2010-11-26, 05:09 AM
I love snow! (Well, before March, the it get's annoying) And we've got plenty here!:smalltongue: Around 4 or 5 inches. It just started to snow last week and what I've heard the weather on last Wednesday could be described as a small blizzard.:smallbiggrin: Can't guarantee that one though, since it was over before I got out of bed (which was in late afternoon:smallamused:).

Comet
2010-11-26, 06:00 AM
On a side note, I find the notion of shutting down schools because there is snow on the ground hilarious. Unless there's so much of it that everyone is literally unable to leave their homes, of course.
What's so scary about snow that you must protect your children from it with so much overkill?

Eldan
2010-11-26, 06:49 AM
We had the first snow of the year on Thursday: it came in flakes about 4cm across. Huge. But they melted before they reached the ground, sadly.

Andraste
2010-11-26, 01:05 PM
On a side note, I find the notion of shutting down schools because there is snow on the ground hilarious. Unless there's so much of it that everyone is literally unable to leave their homes, of course.
What's so scary about snow that you must protect your children from it with so much overkill?

That's not the idea at all. It's because the roads get icy so people can't necessarily get to school safely.

Ranger Mattos
2010-11-26, 01:28 PM
I'm surprised we don't have any snow here in the Milwaukee area. Usually by now there's been a couple of inches.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-11-26, 03:28 PM
I love snow but we don't really get much of it here in Australia. Our seasons aren't even the right way around. Silly Christmas in summer.

Warrior/Mage
2010-11-26, 03:32 PM
Christmas?! IN SUMMER?!
EGAD!

Tiny bit of snow, but nothing useful.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-11-26, 04:07 PM
We have about twenty centimeters of snow here in Vancouver, but no snow day for us kids. :smallannoyed:
We had one at SFU yesterday :tongue:

Comet
2010-11-26, 04:10 PM
That's not the idea at all. It's because the roads get icy so people can't necessarily get to school safely.

Okay, that makes somewhat more sense. Still, I'd have liked it if we had a system like that around here when I was in school, too. Damn icy north and our familiarity with the snow and the cold :smalltongue:

Worlok
2010-11-26, 04:39 PM
We had snow this morning. For some odd reason, snowfall always makes "my" part of Berlin look like someone made a love poem to suicide out of concrete. But personally, I really like seeing snow. Not so much getting hit with it or standing in it. Just sitting at the window, looking out onto a world glistening with radiant white, seeing people I will likely never get to know making their way through the layed-on-thick goodness while clad in those old Soviet Union style fur caps, while myself, just awoken, having a nice hot cup of hot chocolate. The first day of the year I can do that usually is the best day of the year in my book. :smallredface:

Then again, I might just be weird like that. :smallbiggrin:

Mary Leathert
2010-11-26, 06:13 PM
It has been near -10 degrees Celsius here where I live for a couple of days now, and enough snow as well.

Our dog seems to like snow because it has thick fur, and snow feels nice and cool.

Yeah, snow days seem like a funny concept in a country where every car must change to winter tires from the beginning of November regardless of the weather. It also helps that the snow doesn't mostly come storming down, but a little bit at a time, so the streets usually get plowed enough by the time people have to go to school. Even the temperature doesn't matter, I have cycled to school when it was -20 degrees Celsius. We did get to stay inside during the breaks then, though.

KuReshtin
2010-11-26, 07:23 PM
The snow has finally arrived here in Largs.
There seems to be a pretty strong wind out there as well, as the snow flakes are whipping around quite a bit.

WOOHOOOO!!!!! SNOW IS HERE!!!!

KenderWizard
2010-11-27, 06:31 AM
Last night, in Dublin, we had a ThunderSnowStorm! Well, more like, a thunderstorm at the same time as a light dusting of snow, but it was still awesome! The thunder was right above us - it woke me up at half four in the morning because it was so loud, and I was so startled I accidentally woke my boyfriend by grabbing his arm really hard. When I looked out the window, I could see Dublin covered in an undisturbed thin blanket of snow, it was amazing to see a city under snow without slushmarks and footprints and clear roads.

Now I have to go visit my grandparents to make sure they're okay, and do some shopping for them. The snow is mostly gone, but the fact that it stuck at all suggests it might come back!

Last year we had a "cold snap" that was the coldest and snowiest winter in living memory. It was mad, because Ireland usually gets no snow, or just a light dusting. We got a couple of inches of snow and the whole country went into lockdown. I heard a news broadcast that said in all seriousness "Supermarkets have reached critically low supplies of salt and woolly hats."

Allan Surgite
2010-11-27, 06:34 AM
Started snowing around 1PM here, stopped at 7PM (but intermittently dropping a small amount of snow), so the streets are pretty icy. But the less-walked roads/avenues (and the occasional "countryside path") still have all their snow; my dogs are over the moon about it :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-11-27, 08:33 AM
No snow at Oxcamfordbridge so far, although it's bleddy cold enough for it! But to be honest, I do not want it to snow until maybe tomorrow morning or any time afterwards.

White tie ball + snow = hypothermia.
As it is we're already going to be risking coming down with colds on account of the fact that very few of us have a coat formal enough for the occasion. And it would cover up the fancy clothing.

Ianuary was crazy this year. Snow froze as inch or two thick heaps. ANd when you're on top of a hill in a county that almost never gets snow that sticks one is woefully unprepared for such a thing.
Skiing backwards (or forwards) carrying groceries isn't fun.

Spiryt
2010-11-27, 10:13 AM
Yesterday there was sun, leaves and green around, now snow is falling and falling.... Kinda crazy.

Teddy
2010-11-27, 10:20 AM
We got another decimetre or two of snow over here this night/morning, and my first course of action (when I managed to stick my nose outside the door) was to grab a shovel and start building my annual snow fortress. South and west walls give an adequate amount of protection at the time being. Eastern wall is still only a laughably low pile of snow. I'll get to that tomorrow.

thorgrim29
2010-11-27, 10:27 AM
I freaking hate snow... And yet I live in the wondrous province of Quebec, where the snows are high and the thermometers are low.
I gotta move to San Diego...

Vonotar
2010-11-27, 10:30 AM
In my area of Scotland we had a little snow overnight with more promised to come over the next few days. I could be happier.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-11-27, 10:38 AM
First snow that's sticking on ground here in Toronto. That's good. That's very good. That's making me happy.

KuReshtin
2010-11-27, 10:46 AM
Just got word that the football game I was scheduled to officiate tomorrow has been cancelled because of the snow.
And it was only about 2 inches.... :smallannoyed:

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 11:07 AM
I want to see some snow. *sigh* :smallsigh:

Asta Kask
2010-11-27, 11:16 AM
We have snow. The cat hates it. It's wet and cold and just... nasty. So he doesn't go out.

Miklus
2010-11-27, 04:31 PM
Lots of snow here in Denmark, very tricky to drive in. The police are telling people to avoid driving unless absolutely nessecary.

Rockphed
2010-11-27, 05:44 PM
It's snowing here! Well, not really snow. It's sort of the unholy offspring of snow and rain. It's not really sticking. But still, it's snowing! It's like Christmas (the holiday most associated with winter and snow) said to Thanksgiving "Nope, no more fall holidays. Winter's here now. Sorry Thanksgiving, but you're a turkey."

We got our first snow here about a month or so ago. Snow has been sticking on the mountains for at least 3 weeks. I think Christmas beat up Halloween and used all the candy to make snow.

Snowing here, too.

Although, it is Alaska...

Actually, we just had Tuesday and Wednesday school canceled because it was above freezing - just enough so to create freezing rain that put inches of ice on everything. So I'm glad to see the snow.

Wait, school was closed because it was too warm. Brain Broken. ... Maybe I'll move to Alaska and become lord of the penguins!

Although ideed Fahrenheit are kinda of pain. Never understood them, Kelvins, and in result, Celcius are plenty easy and logical, while Fahrenheit places water freezing and boiling point 180 degrees apart... In generally decimal world. :smalltongue:

Well, 180 degrees is half a circle. Also, 0 - 100 F is approximately the range of daytime temperatures experienced by much of Europe. The US has a slightly larger range, but it is still a pretty expressive scale. Also, the absolutely worst way to convince the US into doing something is "Everyone else on the planet is doing it." See the attempt to change the US exclusively over to meter and similar units.

Also, we had a schrodinger blizzard here the other day: We got all sorts of warnings about a blizzard coming in, and everybody prepared for it, and then we got about a centimeter of snow and some wind. I was muchly disappointed.

TheThan
2010-11-27, 06:59 PM
Snow is great to visit, but once you start living in it, it becomes a hassle.

I used to live at about 2,000 feet which is a little too low for snow around here, though it has on occasion. It usually snows a lot at about 4,000 around here though. However it snowed at my grandparents house this year, didn’t stick but that was nice (2000 ft).

We usually have fairly mild winters around here. It can get pretty chilly and the frost usually kills off all the oranges, but that doesn’t really stop the farmers from trying (that and it gives them an excuse to drive up the prices). I’ve never gotten a snow day in my life.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-27, 07:08 PM
I want to see some snow. *sigh* :smallsigh:

Google Image search.

KenderWizard
2010-11-27, 08:22 PM
Things have taken off in Dublin! It's been snowing heavily for over an hour and we've accumulated a good few centimetres, maybe three inches.

I went up on the roof of the apartment building with my housemate - it was AWESOME! The whole city was all snowy and stunning looking. I explored all over the snowy roof and climbed onto the roof of the building next door and explored that too. We started to make a snowman, then had a vertical snowfight with the people on the balcony a floor below, and some passersby on the street. We continued with the snowman, then made snow angels, which I'd never done before! Now we're back inside to warm up and sleep. Well, I'm waiting for my boyfriend to get home, because he was out at a friend's place elsewhere in the city. So once he gets in safe, off to bed so we can get up early and finish our snowman!

And it's STILL snowing!!

Obrysii
2010-11-27, 10:05 PM
No snow yet in Madison, Wisconsin.

Which is good - because while my front-wheel drive car with manual transmission is wonderful in the snow, and its further augmented by the fact it has snow tires on it, it currently does not have heater controls due to a substantial rebuild of the entire vehicle.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-27, 10:09 PM
It's not snowing here anymore.:smallfrown:

Ranger Mattos
2010-11-27, 10:16 PM
No snow yet in Madison, Wisconsin.

I know. By now we should have several feet.

I exaggerate, but yeah, we should have had snow by now.