PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Making PCs into vampires...

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-25, 07:25 PM
I was going through the Monster Manual last night and couldn't help wondering how this could be done. Making them complete the ritual, perhaps by force with a little OOC nudging that it's plot.

But I am not sure about the Vampire Lord template, I understand they need some of the powers from there as well as the vulnerabilities...but the ability to create minions seems a bit too powerful for me.

What do you think?

Mojo_Rat
2010-11-25, 07:58 PM
None of the Templates are intended to be applied to PC's.

I think you really have a Few options for doing your Vampire theme. one is introduce a Destiny or PP and make them all have to take it. (the Destiny is how they did litch)

If the Destiny is designed properly i dont see how it is a bi deal.

The other option i can think of is to Give them all the benefits of the Half-vampire Feat chain for Free.

Mostly what it does is give them a bite attack which heales thenm later gives them the option to replace some of their utility powers with some vampire themed ones.

Or a Combination of the Above.

In the case of the PP you could write 2 or 3 to fit diferent vampire th4emses so players dont feel pigeonholed for your plot idea.

randomhero00
2010-11-25, 08:01 PM
Make them "infected" rather than full vampires (think Blade or something). Pick and choose from templates what to give them as you like. They'll feel special because no one will know what they truly are or how to deal with them.

edit: and to make it a plot-once only thing, like make it super ancient vampire blood they accidently infect themselves with.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-25, 08:07 PM
I was thinking more in terms of a Vampire Cult that they need to get some information from, then they're captured and one is chosen for the ritual...

But I do like the Vampire Feats idea.

And I am planning on having it reversed by Raise Dead...should I actually have to have them killed first...staked?

Tengu_temp
2010-11-25, 08:10 PM
Give them some of the vampire strengths and weaknesses. Make sure that all the players gain more or less equal benefits from them - as long as they're balanced against each other, it doesn't matter if they're too strong or not. Don't force them to take specific paragon paths or epic destinies, it will just piss them off. Don't give them the ability to create minions, it will be too easy to abuse. Not every vampire is a vampire lord anyway.

WinWin
2010-11-25, 08:15 PM
There was the Dhamphyr Bloodline available for online subscribers (I forget the actual name of the article). It had a number of powers, feats and an epic destiny associated with it.

That may be a method of awakening an otherwise unknown heritage within a character, or even allowing them to keep some of the benefits of vampirism after your plot arc has concluded.

Mojo_Rat
2010-11-25, 08:19 PM
the bloodline thingie is what i was talking about when I mentioned feats. It offers a good part of thematic, and is intended for players. Youc an throw in sunight issues or other partial stuff as you see fit for your theme.

As for the Raise dead bit that really coes down to what you think will have the best thematic impact. the Having them Die first bit may be pretty good If They dont know it will result in the dead person being raised later as an impact of their conditions ort of deal.

Meta
2010-11-25, 08:20 PM
Dhampyr are page 32 of Dragon 371. If you need some details on the options available PM me

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-25, 09:14 PM
I have the feats in builder anyway, I was looking at them the other day.

Meta
2010-11-25, 09:57 PM
That's what I would use personally

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-25, 10:01 PM
And just as a temp feat that's there for story purposes.

Just need to find the right person to pass this plot point to...

Meta
2010-11-26, 12:15 AM
If you don't want it to be temporary you could always just give each character a bonus feat. Not their choice, something more roleplay oriented, but keeps balance and their character ends up more unique

WitchSlayer
2010-11-26, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I'd say you just give them the vampire bloodline feats for free, possibly over time. Maybe give them a houseruled feat that gives a big bonus but adds the vampire vulnerabilities.

DragonBaneDM
2010-11-26, 03:16 AM
Maybe kind of sort them let them choose.

You said you need someone to be sacrificed for some sort of ritual, right?

Either one person will have the roleplaying courage to take one for the team, or the rest of the party dupes the oddball of the group into doing it.

The former gets rewarded for roleplaying with these new feat chains, the latter gets these pretty decent powers basically for free! That'll show them to push him around, eh?

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-26, 05:33 AM
The ritual I'm talking about is the one in the Monster Manual, and they use it to convert others to their cult.

Sipex
2010-11-26, 08:59 AM
This is, oddly enough, a possibility in my game tomorrow.

The way I'm doing it is the player will have to go through the ritual but in turn will lose all their racial powers and benefits (except for the stat boost, that's difficult to undo), instead gaining the three powers from the vampire lord template. She won't get the stat boosts or regeneration though and I'm going to reserve Mist Form for a feat if she wants it. (In essence she'll lose her bonus to will as an Eladrin and Fey step to gain the health drain and luring gaze attacks)