PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Parasite Race

FlamingScales
2010-11-26, 02:32 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081011051154/starcraft/images/d/d6/Baneling_SC2_head1.jpg

Parasite

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me.
--Zerg Overmind, Starcraft

This race is probably going to turn over a lot of previous ideas about how to run your game. In short, you have to rely on the fact that your host may or may not be the most optimal race for what you want to accomplish. If you choose this race, you are going to gamble that your enemies will do two things: succumb to your overwhelming mindpower, and be useful for your purposes.

HD: d6
{table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
1|+ 1|+ 2|+ 0|+ 2| Possession, Frail Body
2|+ 1|+ 3|+ 0|+ 3| Memory Tap, +1 Int
3|+ 2|+ 3|+ 1|+ 3| Host Exchange, +1 Wis
4|+ 2|+ 4|+ 1|+ 4| Improved Possession, +2 Int
5|+ 3|+ 4|+ 1|+ 4| Shaper Skill, +2 Wis
6|+ 3|+ 5|+ 2|+ 5| Detonating Slime
[/table]

Class Skills - Bluff, Disguise, Move Silently

Racial Traits -

Bonuses: +2 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom, -2 Charisma

Parasites are incredibly clever, needing to outsmart potential hosts in order to gain possession. However, they are often unfamiliar with any social interactive characteristics of the host, and is often hostile to those they don't recognize on their own.

Parasites have minimum physical scores of 1 (Str, Dex, Con). The physical scores may only change when a host is present. The parasite's mental abilities (Int, Wis) are always used.

Possession - Parasites must have a host in order to fend for themselves. Possession takes two standard actions. In possession, the parasite must have access to an open orifice of the host (i.e. nostrils, mouth, ear canal, etc.) In order to possess something, a Parasite must make successful Will Check against the potential host. On a successful Possession, parasite assumes full control of the host body. The host may make a Will Save HD times/week to expel the host. DM decides when this occurs. The parasite can only switch hosts if the previous host dies.

Parasites take on all aspects of their hosts, including Weapon Proficiencies, racial bonuses (to physical stats only), natural abilities, and equipment on their person at the time. If none of this information is available, DM may make random rolls to decide this.

Frail Body - Parasite must be Fine size. Without a host, parasites lose one level per week. These levels will only be regained through regain of EXP.

Memory Tap - Parasite is now able to access memories of the host. Personal memories are taken advantage of in order to blend in with . In this Racial Charisma bonus is dropped to -1.

Host Exchange - Parasite is now able to to switch hosts while the previous host is alive. However, upon leaving the previous host, host may decide to attack the parasite in revenge for being dominated. This ability may be used 1/HD/day.

Improved Possession - Same as Possession, but host may not make Will saves to expel parasite after successful possession.

Shaper Skill - The parasite is now able to manipulate the brains capacity for hormone control able to chemically change the physical build of a character. On Successful possession, Parasite may make rolls to determine physical stats. Rolls are six sets of 3d6b3. No re-rolls

Detonating Slime - If exiting a live host, Parasites may choose to kill the host upon exiting.

Thats it for now.
Looking for comments, critique, etc.

Changelog

Changed physical scores to constant 1's
Possession now is Will check versus Will Check
Shaper Skills re-done.

Tanuki Tales
2010-11-26, 05:41 AM
Your parasite should have at least a +3 BaB by level 6.

Also, they need to at least have a Dex score to even move and unless they're undead or a construct they need a Con score.

FlamingScales
2010-11-26, 02:33 PM
Your parasite should have at least a +3 BaB by level 6.

Also, they need to at least have a Dex score to even move and unless they're undead or a construct they need a Con score.

Right. But I want it to be low so that the parasiteneeds a host. Would having a constant value of 1 make more sense?

Tanuki Tales
2010-11-26, 04:53 PM
Right. But I want it to be low so that the parasiteneeds a host. Would having a constant value of 1 make more sense?

Yeah, it'd make more sense than what you had originally, though Puppeteers have Dex 15 and Con 11.

FlamingScales
2010-11-29, 10:44 AM
Yeah, it'd make more sense than what you had originally, though Puppeteers have Dex 15 and Con 11.

Hmmm...

My thoughts were that I want low scores in order to make sure that parasites need a host, hence the Frail Body ability. Maybe Frail Body is deterring enough to keep a host nearby?

Tanuki Tales
2010-11-29, 11:46 AM
Hmmm...

My thoughts were that I want low scores in order to make sure that parasites need a host, hence the Frail Body ability. Maybe Frail Body is deterring enough to keep a host nearby?

I'd change it to them taking Con damage and make it occur more frequently.

ForzaFiori
2010-11-29, 06:36 PM
my 2cp

please keep in mind that I am not a great homebrewer, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt. Many of these are based on what I have seen others say about similar problems on other classes.

I would suggest making the abilities mods multiples of 2, as that is the standard. Perhaps +2 or +4 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, or make the bonuses class features, which do come in +1s occasionally

Str, Dex, and Con are needed, even the smallest, frailest animals have them, they're just really low. Perhaps give a significant penalty, or set them at 1. (I would suggest a penalty, say -6 or -8, since this allows for the variations common in a species). If you want to use the host's stats, make it a class feature.

Possession: not entirely sure what exactly you mean when your describing the checks made to take possession... is it an HD check vs Will save? cause that is rather strange. IMHO, I would make it opposed will checks, since it is all about which mind will dominate. Also, I would make additional checks happen with special circumstances instead of simply every week. Say when X amount of damage is taken, or a moral choice opposed to the host's alignment, etc.

Frail Body: I like this. It makes it very necessary to have a body, even if the physical stats were normal.

Memory Tap: This is good, though instead of dropping the CHA bonus, I would give a bonus to disguise checks made to appear normal, since CHA is used for several other things (handle animal, for instance, wouldn't get much better just cause you have new memories, nor would your diplomacy, or spell casting if you're a sorcerer)

Host Exchange: Other than possibly making this available sooner, I see nothing wrong with this.

Improved Possession: Always nice to get people stop trying to oppose you. I would maybe make this your 3rd level thing, and make Host Exchange available from the start.

Shaper Skills: How exactly are are the new stats rolled? They really should be left with the normal 3d6 or 4d6b3, rather than based off of class levels. Someone with a minimum Str, Dex, and Con of 20 who has pumped their mental stats is just waiting to be broken. Also, why do you get to choose new feats? Wouldn't your class travel with you, since what your trained to do is a mental thing, rather than physical? (no matter how fit you are, you can't be a fighter without training, and no matter how smart you are, you gotta train to be a wizard)

Detonating Slime: seems pretty useful, since you won't have to worry about a host trying to kill you.