PDA

View Full Version : What increases you're allowed

Orzel
2010-11-26, 06:57 AM
So my younger cousin comes to me with one of those out of nowhere questions I've answered a couple tines already and asks: ""What do fighters get again?"

"Feats" I answer. "I'm pretty sure I told you this."
"What else do they get again"
"How exactly did you forget the answer?"
"Do they get ability increases?"
"Everyone get those."
"No bonus Strength. That sucks. Do they..."

Minutes later, I end up promising him that he'd get to play either some warrior who gets ability bonus as their class feature or one that gets extra attacks and move actions the next time we play 3.5.

But it got me thinking.
We get a little taste of ability increases from class through the barbarian and some prcs.
We mostly know the obvious power of additional actions.

It's funny what "everyone gets" items we are allowed to increase with(out) magic and which normally cannot be touched. We can easily downgrade actions but getting more action equivalent items are hard, expense, or imposible depending who does it.

What if we had a couple simple fighter-style classes that had Move action 3/day, Extra attack 5/day, or Primary Ability +3 their only class features.

How good/bad/broken would they be?

Class #1: The Attacker.
Like the fighter but instead of bonus feats, he may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding using his full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation as a free action on any character's turn. He gets one of these each time he would have received a bonus fighter feat.
The limitation is he can only may use a number per round equal to the number of attacks he'd get for a high BAB.

Class #2: The Move Dude
Like the fighter but instead of bonus feats, he may take an additional free action on any character's turn. He gets one of these each time he would have received a bonus fighter feat. Limit 3 per round.

Class #3: The Ability Lady.
Like the fighter but instead of bonus feats, she gets an ability score increases. She gains one of these each time she would have received a bonus fighter feat. From 1st through 8th, she gets +1 to Str, Dex, or Con. From 10th on his gets +2 to any ability score.

Class #4: Action Man
Warrior. Extra attack at 1st and every 3 level after. Move action at 2nd and every 3 after. +1 to Str, Dex, or Con at 3rd and every 3 after.