PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's entry paper

Stygian Spider
2010-11-26, 07:04 AM
In strip 732 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0732.html), Durkon said he will be staying in the city for 30 strips, which means his entry permission will expire at strip 762, i.e. the NEXT strip.

Thoughts?

lindorm
2010-11-26, 07:11 AM
Two things - it's a 4th wall joke, so it prolly has no consequence for the plot.
Secondly, it might be 30 subjective strips. And Durkon has only been in ca 14 strips so far.

Onyavar
2010-11-26, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I also expect Durkon to be either notified in 762 that his permission is running out...
... or Durkon to be arrested in 763 for his illegal status.
... or he's arrested later on the next time he has to pass a paper procedure, and then his permission is outdated. BANG: Arrest.

A one-time-joke at the fourth wall? Why would Rich do that, if he can make it a second or third time?

Subjective strips is a possibility, but I doubt. Maybe this can be used as an argument with the guards.

tcrudisi
2010-11-26, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I also expect Durkon to be either notified in 762 that his permission is running out...
... or Durkon to be arrested in 763 for his illegal status.
... or he's arrested later on the next time he has to pass a paper procedure, and then his permission is outdated. BANG: Arrest.

A one-time-joke at the fourth wall? Why would Rich do that, if he can make it a second or third time?

Subjective strips is a possibility, but I doubt. Maybe this can be used as an argument with the guards.

It has been rather good timing that Elan attacked his father (thus likely making them all criminals) at the exact moment that Durkon's papers expired. Coincidence? Probably not, since the Giant is just that darn good.

Cizak
2010-11-26, 08:01 AM
Durkon is good friends with Malak, I don't really think it's a problem.

Souhiro
2010-11-26, 08:05 AM
You know, being Malak guest can mean two thing:

a) Malack advises and accompanies him to renew his paperworks (OFF PANEL)
b) Again with Malack, nobody touchs the High Priest's guest... until that High Priest said that you can throw him into prison

Killer Angel
2010-11-26, 08:10 AM
Elan is good friends with Malak, I don't really think it's a problem.

I suppose you're referring to Durkon, here... :smallwink:

Coincidence? Probably not, since the Giant is just that darn good.

I've already learned there's no limit to His Awesomeness. :smallsmile:

Corneel
2010-11-26, 09:43 AM
I think you should also consider that for it to be significant, it should also make sense in the printed version. And then you have to take into account that the numbers refer to updates, not strips or pages, and that several updates since update 732 consist of two strips/pages: 750, 755, 758 and 759. So in that sense the thirthieth strip after 732 would be the first page of 759.

Tass
2010-11-26, 09:50 AM
I think you should also consider that for it to be significant, it should also make sense in the printed version. And then you have to take into account that the numbers refer to updates, not strips or pages, and that several updates since update 732 consist of two strips/pages: 750, 755, 758 and 759. So in that sense the thirthieth strip after 732 would be the first page of 759.

They are still numbered this way in print.

Swordpriest
2010-11-26, 09:53 AM
My opinion: probably a throwaway joke, possibly significant. 80%/20%. :smallwink:

Cizak
2010-11-26, 10:20 AM
I suppose you're referring to Durkon, here... :smallwink:

Uh, yeah? That's why I wrote Durkon.

Thanks.

Morquard
2010-11-26, 11:09 AM
They are still numbered this way in print.
a) yes, they still have those numbers in print, but it's still weird
b) there could be bonus strips in between

However:
c) Nothing prevents the Giant to change the sentence to "make it fourty" or thirty-five in the print version so that it keeps making sense.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-26, 12:42 PM
Two things - it's a 4th wall joke, so it prolly has no consequence for the plot.
Secondly, it might be 30 subjective strips. And Durkon has only been in ca 14 strips so far.

Yeah, I agree. Seems like a joke and nothing more, or probably only count for strips Durkon was in.

Zmflavius
2010-11-29, 06:40 PM
Well, we have 762. Nothing happened.

Gift Jeraff
2010-11-29, 07:33 PM
Just a note: other "strip" jokes are kept the same in the printed versions.

However, I'd love to see a bonus strip featuring guards or someone debating whether or not double strips count, bonus strips count, strips without him count, is it 30 strips inclusive, etc. only for the issue to be dismissed by Malack's authority.

Mr. Snuggles
2010-11-29, 07:37 PM
It was in the last frame of the comic! You can't take anything that happens there seriously!

fimzo
2010-11-29, 07:45 PM
I doubt that this would come into the story, although it would be funny if it did. I'd say 85/15 odds, in my opinion.

valce
2010-11-29, 07:54 PM
Durkon explaining the paper situation to the guards/getting an extension might make a good bonus strip, as it will probably have little plot revelance on its own.

Just saying :P