PDA

View Full Version : Are you anybody's favorite person?

Eloel
2010-11-26, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure if this fits here or in Media Discussion, but I think it's better off here.

First, the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyWVtoCjNM)

Apparently, it's a short-film from a few years ago. I stumbled upon it today, and asked myself the question.

The answer was simple and fairly certain, if a bit depressing.

So, I wonder what it makes you guys think/feel.

Eldan
2010-11-26, 08:58 AM
No. And yes, it's depressing.

Drascin
2010-11-26, 09:11 AM
Only my little sister's. She's my favorite person too, though, so that's alright by me :smalltongue:.

Sipex
2010-11-26, 09:55 AM
Hells yes.

Although I've realised that I don't need to be anyone's FAVOURITE person, just as long as they still like having me around and having fun with me.

Meg
2010-11-26, 10:08 AM
No. I'm not even my dog's favorite person.

I have a lot of people I love and who love me, but I'm nobody's favorite.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-26, 10:16 AM
Yup, my lovely girlfriends favorite person.:smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-26, 10:35 AM
I'm not even my own favorite person. But I'm also pretty sure I'm no one's least favorite person. *shrugs* So it could be worse.

KenderWizard
2010-11-26, 10:43 AM
Yes, I'm my boyfriend's favourite person! And he's mine too.

My dad and I have never forgiven my little brother for saying that our mom was his favourite (which was fine by us) and his favourite rock was his second favourite person!

Syka
2010-11-26, 10:55 AM
Yes. I'm very certain I'm Oz's favorite person (or at least tied for the position).

He ties for the position with my mom and my best friend. I could never chose.

We can have more than one favorite, right?

Trog
2010-11-26, 11:08 AM
Nope. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVzvVLgDfA) :smallcool:

Manga Shoggoth
2010-11-26, 11:34 AM
I'm currently my daughter's favourite person. I love the run-up to Christmas...

Lillith
2010-11-26, 11:42 AM
I doubt I am. Yes that is depressing since I'm in a relationship. Then again I don't have favorites either. Unless you count my cats.

Castel
2010-11-26, 12:15 PM
Can I count as my own favorite person?

Anyone else found it weird that future Will Ferrell went back in time to make that survey? :smalltongue: (I know, I know, different, near identical actor that's lampshaded the fact before, but still!)

Blue Ghost
2010-11-26, 12:26 PM
I don't have a favorite person, and I don't need one, 'cause I love all my friends equally. So why would I need to be anyone else's favorite person?
(I don't know, and I don't care.)

Lolzords
2010-11-26, 12:28 PM
One. It's nice to have just one.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-11-26, 04:16 PM
Yes, I am! A lot of people tell me I'm their new favourite person. It helps that I suit up. True story! :biggrin:

And no, haven't seen the video and won't for a while since I'm killing time in a boring class.

arguskos
2010-11-26, 04:34 PM
No. Never have been, even in relationships.

Dogmantra
2010-11-26, 04:35 PM
That film wasn't depressing at all. I thought it was actually quite happy. The woman almost instantly thought of someone whose favourite person she was. Even if it turns out that she was wrong, clearly the person was nice enough to jump to the forefront of her mind. Doubly so that it's her ex, who I understand often have bad relations after a breakup. "Are you sure?" makes people think the questioner knows something they don't or disapproves or that the questionee has given the "wrong" answer. You can get someone to disagree with what they actually believe by asking "are you sure?". The dude immediately knew he wasn't anyone's favourite person, not even his girlfriend, but there's a crucial point there: he was happy. He understood that he wasn't anyone's favourite person, but didn't let it affect him. It's nice to know that even though it was a story, there are people who are happy despite not having someone who holds them in such great esteem they'd call them their favourite. The man at the end was tricky to understand. Maybe he was upset that he didn't have anyone to call him their favourite. Maybe he was just truly uninterested. So yeah, I kind of found it rather optimistic. But then I find depressing undertones in nearly everything happy so it makes sense.

As for me... there are two people that I would say maybe I'm their favourite person. Can't imagine for the life of me why.

ghost_warlock
2010-11-26, 04:38 PM
I don't really go out of my way to get people to like me, so it'd come as some surprise to discover I'm even in someone's Top-10. With, perhaps, a single exception, anyway. And, even then, there's much-more prominent and qualified people for that list.

I can't say that I really find this to be particularly depressing, though, it's just the way things are. I may as well find gravity to be depressing...

Not entirely sure I have a favorite person. I have a number I'm exceptionally fond of, but things are too uncertain to really nail down a definite #1.

Kastanok
2010-11-26, 04:39 PM
I'm depressed enough without watching the video but...

No. No I am not anyone's favourite person. With most people I'm not even sure if they actually like me at all or just tolerate my occasional presence.

Rae Artemi
2010-11-26, 04:43 PM
To put it simply, yes.

I am the person that she trusts the most, the only male outside of her family that she trusts at all. I apparently keep her afloat and never let her fall (literally or figuratively). I'm also too stupid or afraid to tell her how I really feel, but I'm fine with being her best friend and just being there for her, because that's just how I am.

ghost_warlock
2010-11-27, 01:18 AM
So, about an hour and a half ago, one of my roommates (who doesn't browse this forum, let alone read this thread) told me I was her favorite person. Fairly certain it was in jest, but it's still weird.

Skeppio
2010-11-27, 01:22 AM
Hmm....not that I know of, no. And it's fairly depressing. :smallfrown:

Never mind. Turns out I under-valued myself, and have a friend who saw my post and told me how wrong I was. :smallredface:

Partof1
2010-11-27, 01:22 AM
Yeah, i'd say I'm nobody's favourite. Anyone by whom I may be favoured is not likely to think about stuff like that.

Though I guess it's fair, as I don't have a favourite person myself.

Coidzor
2010-11-27, 01:30 AM
Pfft. No. I'm a bad guy. (http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Strong_Bad_is_a_Bad_Guy)

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-27, 01:49 AM
Nope. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVzvVLgDfA) :smallcool:
:smalltongue:
Puh-leaze. Stop lying just to link your awesome music.

thubby
2010-11-27, 05:08 AM
i would hope my girlfriend

leakingpen
2010-11-27, 09:09 AM
my wife says im hers, but its REALLY close between me, our son, and her sister.

im definitely my sons favorite person.

MountainKing
2010-11-27, 09:19 AM
Probably not; it's my fault for traveling with a suitcase full of pistols and money (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyH_NxJ86vs). :smallbiggrin:

Kuma Da
2010-11-27, 09:29 AM
Here is how you win the favorite person game: become your own favorite person.

Seriously. Never anchor your self-esteem to someone else. Anchor it to you.

ghost_warlock
2010-11-27, 09:57 AM
Here is how you win the favorite person game: become your own favorite person.

Seriously. Never anchor your self-esteem to someone else. Anchor it to you.

Alternately, you can "surprise adopt" someone at a young age and keep them completely isolated from the rest of the world, so that you're effectively the only person they know. Teach them that the rest of the world has been overrun by alien monsters that kill on sight and that the only way you can keep them safe is to hide them away because there's something about them that makes them especially susceptible to being found by the aliens. When you have to leave the "compound" it's, of course, a dangerous mission to scrounge for whatever survival necessities you can find. Bonus points if you convince them that random people they may inadvertently catch sight of are actually aliens wearing the skins of dead people as disguises.

Viera Champion
2010-11-27, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm no one's LEAST favorite person... Does that count?

lord of kobolds
2010-11-27, 10:11 AM
I'm in the top 3ish for someone. I come in second only to his parents. He is the 2-year-old son of one of my teachers.

Half-Orc Rage
2010-11-27, 10:25 AM
Probably not. I know that when I date, they seem to prefer hanging out with their friends over me. There was the one girl who seemed like she really needed me more than anyone else, but she moved on pretty quickly after it was over. My parents seem to prefer my brother, especially since he went to Iraq, over their weird underachieving older son that went to art school. I am friends with people but I have not had what I would call a best friend in several years. I think people like me, they think I'm a nice guy if a little odd, but I don't think I'm anyone's favorite or even make any top 5 lists.

Oh, and Rae- If you got feelings for her, make your move. Life is too short to wonder about it and hesitate forever.

The Rose Dragon
2010-11-27, 10:37 AM
I'm my mom's favorite person. And my dad's. And my grandmother's.

Wow, three people already.

Trog
2010-11-27, 10:57 AM
:smalltongue:
Puh-leaze. Stop lying just to link your awesome music.

o///o ... okay.

<3

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-27, 11:03 AM
I'm not, but I don't have a favorite person either.

Castaras
2010-11-27, 12:11 PM
Yes. :smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2010-11-27, 01:16 PM
I am my own favorite person.

But other than that I'm not sure.
My mom says I'm her heart (so maybe), but that could just be because I'm the baby of her boys (I have 3 brothers).

Kallisti
2010-11-27, 01:34 PM
No, I'm not, but eh, it's not like I need to be. It's not a competition; I have no need to be more important to any of my friends than, say, the people in their families.

Shyftir
2010-11-27, 10:31 PM
No. Next stop depression thread. Actually no, I'm not depressed but I am moody and saw this thread at a bad time. ...sigh

Recaiden
2010-11-27, 11:59 PM
No.

I've often asked that question of myself, wondering why I'm not good enough, and the answer has always been 'no'. :smallsigh: It bothers me sometimes, but not often. Spite is enough of a reason for anything, and I have a lot more than that, even if not of it quite measures up to being someone's favorite.

I do have a best friend now, so that's a step up from most of my life. :smalltongue:

leakingpen
2010-11-28, 10:41 AM
well, I'm my,uhh, (counts mentally) fourth favorite person, but thats because I know some really awesome people.

AshDesert
2010-11-28, 01:25 PM
Alternately, you can "surprise adopt" someone at a young age and keep them completely isolated from the rest of the world, so that you're effectively the only person they know. Teach them that the rest of the world has been overrun by alien monsters that kill on sight and that the only way you can keep them safe is to hide them away because there's something about them that makes them especially susceptible to being found by the aliens. When you have to leave the "compound" it's, of course, a dangerous mission to scrounge for whatever survival necessities you can find. Bonus points if you convince them that random people they may inadvertently catch sight of are actually aliens wearing the skins of dead people as disguises.

Forced Stockholm Syndrome, good times, good times.

I think I'm my dad's favorite person, though I could be wrong. I don't have a favorite person, it's just a blanket "I like" or "I don't like". I like the people I do for different reasons, so rating them just wouldn't work out that well, and the people I dislike don't matter anyway. If I had to choose someone it would probably be my dad.

Temotei
2010-11-28, 01:40 PM
My girlfriend's, Hoover's (one of my dogs), in the top two for my brother, and maybe number one for my other dog, Eddie.

I'm cool with that.

Oh, and I'm very certain for the first, confident for the second, very certain for the third, and think so for the fourth.

CrimsonAngel
2010-11-28, 01:46 PM
I'm my little cousin's favorite person. :smallsmile:

Which gives me an idea.

Moonshadow
2010-11-28, 03:27 PM
No, I'm not. I wish I was, but I just don't see it happening.

Eadin
2010-11-28, 05:03 PM
Used to be
But I don't think I'm anyone's favorite now

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 05:31 PM
Used to be

Dunno why, but this makes me sad. =\

You can be one of my favorites! *hugs*

Shas aia Toriia
2010-11-28, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm somebody's favourite person. 90% certain, and there's my little ego boost for the day. :smallsmile:

Skeppio
2010-11-28, 09:31 PM
Used to be

You're one of my favourites. *hug* :smallsmile:

dish
2010-11-28, 09:35 PM
I am the favourite person for two people! *Glows in the abundance of riches* (Both of them are rather fickle, so I'd better get my glowing done quickly.)
My girlfriend's, Hoover's (one of my dogs), in the top two for my brother, and maybe number one for my other dog, Eddie.

I'm cool with that.

Oh, and I'm very certain for the first, confident for the second, very certain for the third, and think so for the fourth.

Ooh, Temotei, you've reminded me that I'm also the favourite person for one dog and one cat. (The second cat despises all humans equally.)

Obrysii
2010-11-28, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty much a burden on everyone, so no - no one's favorite.

Eruantion
2010-11-28, 09:37 PM
I'm my wonderful girlfriend's favorite person :smallbiggrin: and she's absolutely mine :smallsmile:

Perenelle
2010-11-30, 07:36 PM
^ d'aww. =3

I'm my kitty cat's favorite person. :smallbiggrin: I know i'm my boyfriend's favorite person as well. *looks up* :smalltongue:

Eruantion
2010-11-30, 08:47 PM
Haha, did you have any doubt, Perry? :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2010-11-30, 08:49 PM
Oh shush. =P

Wait, I'm also my annoying little dog's favorite person. Unfortunately.:smallannoyed:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-30, 08:57 PM
Wait, I'm also my annoying little dog's favorite person. Unfortunately.:smallannoyed:

Always an unfortunate thing. :smallamused:

I just had a random idea to make an imaginary friend that I would be the favorite person of. It was supposed to just be silly, but now I'm a little depressed. =\

Perenelle
2010-11-30, 09:01 PM
Always an unfortunate thing. :smallamused:

I just had a random idea to make an imaginary friend that I would be the favorite person of. It was supposed to just be silly, but now I'm a little depressed. =\

It is! I think she's by far one of the most annoying animals i've come across. :smallyuk: and she never stops barking. Especially at dinner.

D:
You're my favorite internet-y forum dwelling person whom i've never met, Cobra! *hugs*

Kuma Da
2010-11-30, 09:04 PM

Okay, I suppose you can also win the hard way. But, really, that's a lot of effort.

*yawns* I'm my own favorite person because I'm way too lazy for that kind of skullduggery. Evil is work.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-30, 09:04 PM
D:
You're my favorite internet-y forum dwelling person whom i've never met, Cobra! *hugs*

Aww, well, thank you, Perry. You're one of my favorite people, too.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-11-30, 09:11 PM
I am pretty darn sure my pets all worship the ground on which I walk. And I earned my position as Divine Monkey, because I am the bestest Pet Mommy I know.

I have many friends I love dearly; but quite frankly, none of them are as loyal, trusting, and openly affectionate as my dog or my bunny.

Skeppio
2010-11-30, 09:12 PM
I can safely say that you guys are my favourite community. :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-30, 09:14 PM
I have many friends I love dearly; but quite frankly, none of them are as loyal, trusting, and openly affectionate as my dog or my bunny.

Aww. This is a shame, you're a pretty awesome person. *hugs*

Dust
2010-11-30, 09:29 PM
Seconded!

I've spent years working hard at not being anyone's favorite person if I didn't remotely return the sentiment. It worked. It's better than it sounds.

Perenelle
2010-11-30, 09:32 PM
Aww, well, thank you, Perry. You're one of my favorite people, too.

D'aaws. :smallsmile: *hugs*

Seconded!

Thirded! ^.^ The Playground is by far my favorite community.

ghost_warlock
2010-12-01, 07:17 PM
Recently discovered that, apparently, I'm one of the least favorite people of one of my most favorite people. Ah, exes... :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2010-12-01, 08:26 PM
Of course not! No one is THAT foolish. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-12-01, 11:51 PM
Seconded!

I've spent years working hard at not being anyone's favorite person if I didn't remotely return the sentiment. It worked. It's better than it sounds.

I think Creed is fairly admiring of you right now...:smalltongue:

Mecharious
2010-12-02, 12:06 AM
I'm definitely not.

TheBibliophile
2010-12-03, 08:19 PM
I highly doubt it.

Diva De
2010-12-04, 12:02 AM
I think so.
But I certainly HOPE so!

darbythegambler
2010-12-04, 12:30 AM
I'm everyone's favorite :smallcool: kidding aside, I am someone's favorite, and she's one of my favorites too, she's my girl bro, best buddy no matter what.