PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Cavalier/Rogue... Continue Cav or Go Sorc/DD gish-style?

Dakaar
2010-11-26, 10:18 AM
Hey All. I have an intimidate rogue/cavalier thats working out very well for me. I am playing Council of Thieves (campaign will top at around level 13)

I am playing a Cavalier 2/Rogue 3 (Who is about to level) with a build focused on intimidate.

Stats Are(with gear):
22STR
12CON
12DEX
8INT
7WIS (yes I took this on purpose pretty much the party power level is pretty low)
10CHA

For Traits:
Brute (+2intimidate)
Heirloom weapon (MW Greatsword, +1 bonus to hit beyond MW bonus)

For the Rogue, I took the "Thug" alternate that lets you do the following:
Automatically extend the duration of intimidate for 1 round when successful,
and alternatively if you intimidate for 5+ rounds, you can make an enemy frightened instead of shaken, for 1 round.

Sickening Strike (I think thats what it is called..): Sacrafice 1d6 sneak attack to have an enemy sickened for 1d4 rounds

Befuddling Strike: When landing a sneak attack, the enemy recieves -2 to hit you till your next turn.

I have Full Plate +1, a +5 Intimidate Item, and misc wands and etc to use with UMD.

For Cavalier, I took Order of the Cockatrice. This grants at level 2 free Dazzling Display, as well as a +2 bonus to hit any frightened/shakened creature.

My Animal companion is a Roc as per here

Roc Companions
Starting Statistics: Size Medium; AC +5 natural armor; Speed 20 ft., fly 80 ft.; Attack 2 talons (1d4), bite (1d6); Ability Scores Str 12, Dex 19, Con 9, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 11; Special Qualities low-light vision.

7th-Level Advancement: Size Large; AC +3 natural armor; Attack 2 talons (1d6 plus grab), bite (1d8); Ability Scores Str +8, Dex –2, Con +4.

Rocs taken as animal companions by druids or rangers are typically newly hatched birds—a baby roc is the size of a person and ready for flight and hunting within minutes of hatching. Unfortunately for druids seeking animal companions of legendary size, an animal companion roc is limited to Large size—still large enough for a Medium druid or ranger to use the flying beast as a mount. It is currently medium size untill level 7, at which point it becomes large and I can ride it as a flying mount.

I took "Boon Companion" last level, so its companion level is my Cavalier level +4 up to CL. It's level 7 boost is pretty good, and it already has like 26 ac with barding. I gave it int 3, Toughness and Outflank (which my Cavalier has for his free teamwork feat).

The roc progresses pretty good, but it looks like after 8 or 9 the companion kinda slows down some?

So basically, here is my build as is, and I am wondering a few things:
Should I take rogue4 for the free feat and uncanny dodge, or dip something like alchemist/barb/ranger for extra gooodness?

Should I go Cavalier out, or take sorc/DD? It seems that raw BAB aside, 5 levels of sorc1/dd4, ends up with the same attack bonus as 5fighter or 5cav because of the +4 str , and on top of that you get 3natural armor (whee), and later form of the dragon and etc.

Now, I was looking at challenge, and I guess that scales pretty good. Once you can do it 2 and 3 times a day, and at like cavalier 8, your doing something like +10 damage a hit with Order of the Cockatrice.

I am the main party melee, but we also have a dragonfire adept with buckets of HP (like 63 at level 5) but he mostly just blasts away and doesnt charge into melee range unless needed to take hits.(who is the only non core guy.. generally we have to stick to core but DM is OK with some of the "Complete" books and stuff. I do not necessarilly have the best HP, but i have the best AC, and I certainly get attacked the most.

My two roles (in order of priority) are:
Damage Dealer
Tank

More than anything else, I'm trying to optimize my damage output and ability to do crowd control (which works pretty great with the area effect frighten I have to say). Due to Outflank +4, +2 against frightened, I generally have pretty good hit chances, and am always power attacking pretty much.

My total intimidate bonus at level 5 is +23, and

My Advancement looks something like this
Cavalier1 -- Power Attack, Toothy, Heirloom Weapon, Outflank, Mount (roc)
Rogue 1
Cavalier 2 -- Order ability: Free Dazzling Display, Intimidating Prowess
Rogue2 - Befuddling Strike
Rogue 3 Boon Companion (+4 to mount level, up to CL)

For future feats Im going for:
Cornugon Smash (free intimidate as a free action after landing a power attack)
Shatter Defenses (hitting a shakened/frightened enemey with a power attack makes him flat footed to you for the rest of the round (including subsequent attacks)
Dreadful Carnage: Free Dazzling Display whenever you knock down a foe

Since I just rerolled this new character(dm let me reroll up a new guy), I can probably sub out some of my rogue levels retroactively for sorc/DD. Ive only played one session with my new char, but hes super great compared to my last one, the damage output is fantastic compared to what I was playing before.

Our level will cap at around 13, I may make it to 14 as I have a bunch of extra XP for random side/rp stuff.

If I go cav9/Rogue 4, I end up with 12 BAB and a full CL13 Roc companion.

If I go cav4/Sorc1/DD 8, it ends up with 10 BAB, but you get 4 nat armor, 7 caster levels, energy resist, form of the dragon, 2 con, free Toughness/Great fortitude/other bloodline feat, blindsense, and some other goodies.

I'd have to spend 4k on a +2 charisma item to be able to cast 1st and 2nd level spells, but I guess the most immediate benefit is if I take sorc level immediately I have access to true strike and etc right away in fullplate.

Id be very skill point starved and would probably invest in some +int gear just to be able to keep up on my ride/intimidate. everything else doesnt really matter so if I only take ride/intimidate from here on out, I'm fine with that. What do you guys think?

Cavalier past 4 basically gets + damage on challenge every level, , extra challenges, saves vs fear for the group, and free feats. I feel like I've accomplished everything I want to do with this build regardless of how it goes from here on out, as long as I pick up shatter defenses and etc sometime along the way.

I purchased armor spikes as well so that right now at 5 I can have up to 3 attacks (with sneak damage) when all of my bonuses work. When I'm getting +6 to hit from outflank and cavalier ability, taking the huge TWF penalties has generally worked out for me and I was pretty happy with my damage between bite, greatsword, armor spike attack.