PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Race, PEACH] Children of Fharlanghn

Timeless Error
2010-11-26, 12:16 PM
This is my first try at homebrewing, so keep that in mind when you dash this creation to pieces against the rocks.

Also, if anyone has a better idea for a name, I'm open to suggestions. It's fairly tedious to type out "children of Fharlanghn" again and again.

EDIT: There's been some confusion on this, so I want to clarify (otherwise my post probably looks a little strange): Fharlanghn is the PHB God of the Roads.
EDIT2: Apparently there are some holes in the fluff of this race (mainly the fact that just because they're wanderers doesn't mean they're suspicious and generally introverted), so I'm looking for re-flavoring suggestions. Any advice? Never mind, somebody provided me with an excuse to keep the fluff.

Children of Fharlanghn

The children of Fharlanghn are the world's wanderers, the constant travelers with no land to call there own. They move from country to country, with their caravans and goods to trade with the natives of the lands they pass. They even travel to the farthest reaches of the world, enduring the dire cold of tundras and the searing heat of deserts. They are hardened and worn by the perils they face on their continent-spanning travels, and thus they are suspicious and always ready for a quick getaway or a fight. All the countries they journey through spurn them, and they are not popular wherever they go.

Personality: The children of Fharlaghn are gruff and suspicious (partly because of the racial discrimination they often face when among other those of other ethnicities). Always on the alert for danger, they do not socialize with strangers and often try not to interact with outsiders except to trade or in a severe emergency. They are very focused, but are willing to be flexible about a situation. A child of Fharlanghn is reluctant to befriend anyone outside of their tribe, and often vice versa, but once they do their friendship is unfaltering and they will remain loyal. Betrayal is anathema to a child of Fharlaghn's outlook.

Physical Description: Children of Fharlanghn stand from five to six feet tall, and usually have a marginally heavier build than a human of the same height. Their eyes are usually small and gray. Their skin is tan and roughly textured, and their facial features look like they were crudely chiseled into stone. Their ears are pointed like those of elves. Their hair is often light brown and wispy, with little to no body and/or facial hair. Both males and females will often braid their hair into one dangling strip.

Relations: Most countries are highly suspicious of children of Fharlanghn. Appearing as trouble-making gypsies, they are often insulted or even lynched. On the other hand, children of Fharlanghn have the same basic relationship with all countries of all races: do not interact. They will trade when necessary (and when the people available to trade with are not hostile), but otherwise try to stay out of touch with outside influences.

Alignment: Most children of Fharlanghn are True Neutral, the same as their deity. You rarely find a child of Fharlanghn with a different alignment than that.

Lands: Children of Fharlanghn have no land to call their own, but they often refer to the road as their home "country". They travel across the landscape in caravans, hunting and gathering as they go.
Despite their lack of a homeland, children of Fharlanghn have a rich culture. They perform ancient and complex rituals of worship to their patron deity every waxing crescent moon. [Possibly more to follow on culture.]

Religion: The religion of the children of Fharlanghn is, of course, centered around the belief that Fharlanghn, god of the roads, is the ultimate and most powerful deity of all the pantheon. They perform many rituals to honor their god, and will always put something in any wayside shrine to him they see on their travels.

Language: Children of Fharlanghn speak their own language, a rough, unmelodious speech called Fharla.

Names: Children of Fharlanghn have only one name for themselves, usually a short, abrupt, one-syllable word. However, when formally introducing themselves, they also list the names of their father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, and the matriarch and patriarch of the family.
Male names usually begin with an A, B, G, K, L, N, R, T, V, or Y.
Female names usually begin with a C, D, F, H, J, M, P, S, W, or Z.
Male Names: Arn, Biir, Kith, Loth, Nott, Vaan, Yri.
Female Names: Ciiar, Diith, Fal, Fiil, Miic, Zya.

Adventurers: Though many children of Fharlanghn are loathe to leave their tribes, a few wander off to experience the thrill of adventuring alone or in small groups. These upstarts often find that they are perfectly suited to life as an adventurer.

Child of Fharlanghn Racial Traits:

+2 Constitution, -4 Charisma. Due to their constant travels and the harsh environments they frequent, children of Fharlanghn have becomed hardened and tough. Their travels have also, however, made them more suspicious of outsiders.
Medium size
Base land speed 30 ft
Low-light vision
Waking Sleep: A child of Fharlanghn, instead of sleeping, goes into a quasi-sleep where he or she maintains a dull state of awareness. Sudden movements or obstacles awaken the child of Fharlanghn from their "sleep". While in this waking sleep, a child of Fharlanghn may continue walking (or moving in some other manner).
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, and Survival checks. Eons of wandering through dangerous territory have honed the senses of children of Fharlanghn.
Stability: +2 racial bonus on checks to resist being bull rushed or tripped while standing on the ground. Children of Fharlanghn gain this ability due to the fact that their build is denser than that of a human of the same height.
Due to their travels and varied experiences, children of Fharlanghn gain free proficiency with one exotic weapon of their choice.
+2 racial bonus on initiative checks. The travels of the children of Fharlanghn have taught them to be constantly on the alert, able to spring into action at the slightest sign of danger.
+4 racial bonus on Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage, Constitution checks made to continue running, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, Constitution checks made to hold your breath, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst, Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments, and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation. Also, children of Fharlanghn may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
Once per day: Endure Elements, caster level one half HD.
Favored Class: Ranger.
Automatic Languages: Common and Fharla. Bonus Languages: Any, due to their travels across the world.

[Aging statistics coming soon]

Thanks in advance for the PEACHing!

sreservoir
2010-11-26, 12:54 PM
can't say much for the fluff, but crunchwise, it's not too unbalanced. It doesn't get much more than gnomes, at least.

Timeless Error
2010-11-26, 01:00 PM
can't say much for the fluff, but crunchwise, it's not too unbalanced. It doesn't get much more than gnomes, at least.

I admit the fluff isn't too original. It's something I threw together for a campaign setting I'm working on, and every world needs some sort of race like this.

Anyway, thanks for the PEACH!

--Timeless Error

LOTRfan
2010-11-26, 01:04 PM
I like it.

Did you get the idea from the web enhancements over at the WOTC website?

Timeless Error
2010-11-26, 01:05 PM
I like it.

Did you get the idea from the web enhancements over at the WOTC website?

Actually, no I didn't. Which one are you referring to?

Thanks for the PEACH!

--Timeless Error

LOTRfan
2010-11-26, 01:21 PM
I was referring to Fharlanghn's Garden (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030609x). I didn't realize he was also in the player's hadnbook. :smallsigh:

Not sure if it helps, but the link gives two magic items, a prestige class, and an area sacred to the church of Fharlanghn (at least, to the few who know it).

akma
2010-11-26, 03:48 PM
and every world needs some sort of race like this.

Why?

And why did you do that the race of travelers are unfriendly?
And how come they speak dwarven?
Mechnical fluff related points:
I don`t see how the +2 constitution related to any part of the fluff. You didn`t even say they are tough or anything.
Base land speed is averge, and it seems logical to me that a race of travelers will move quicker.
What about that instead of gaining the endurance feat, they never get tired from walking, and maybe can even walk in their sleep?
The stability, bonuses to spot and listen, and bonus to initiative seems unrelated to anything.

Timeless Error
2010-11-26, 04:02 PM
Why?

That was sort of a joke. A race of wandering nomads is kind of stereotypical for a fantasy setting of any sort.

And why did you do that the race of travelers are unfriendly?

The campaign setting I made them for (and most fantasy worlds in general, for that matter) is highly dangerous, filled with bandits, savages, and wandering monsters. It would make sense for them to be suspicious of people, then. It became a part of their nature.

And how come they speak dwarven?

Touche. I'm not exactly sure. On the other hand, Gnomes, Giants, and Goblins also speak variations on dwarven. I should probably change it to be a different language based on dwarven instead.

Mechnical fluff related points:
I don`t see how the +2 constitution related to any part of the fluff. You didn`t even say they are tough or anything.

I'll add to the fluff that they frequent environmentally extreme locations (such as freezing cold tundras and stifling deserts).

Base land speed is averge, and it seems logical to me that a race of travelers will move quicker.

That was in the rough draft, but in my opinion that would push them to close to LA +1 (which I'm not willing to take them to). Should I get rid of something to accommodate for a land speed increase? If so, what?

What about that instead of gaining the endurance feat, they never get tired from walking, and maybe can even walk in their sleep?

Huh, that's not a bad idea. I think I'll change it.

The stability, bonuses to spot and listen, and bonus to initiative seems unrelated to anything.

The reason for their stability is hidden away in the physical description. Children of Fharlanghn have denser builds than humans of the same height. Listen, spot, and initiative bonuses are all part of the fact that the children of Fharlanghn are constantly on the alert, ready to spring into action at the slightest sound (which originates from the fact that, as mentioned above, the world in which they live is highly perilous).

I should probably clarify all this in the original post. I think I'll go off and do that.

Thanks for the PEACH!

--Timeless Error

akma
2010-11-27, 05:10 AM
Touche. I'm not exactly sure. On the other hand, Gnomes, Giants, and Goblins also speak variations on dwarven. I should probably change it to be a different language based on dwarven instead.

Why not just common? They do travel all around the world.

That was in the rough draft, but in my opinion that would push them to close to LA +1 (which I'm not willing to take them to). Should I get rid of something to accommodate for a land speed increase? If so, what?

I think a comparison to a LA+0 race that moves 40 ft should be made, but I can`t think of any race like that at the moment.

Timeless Error
2010-11-27, 08:21 AM
Why not just common? They do travel all around the world.

Fair enough. However, the secluded creatures that they are, they would probably have their own language, although they would learn common too for trading purposes.

Speaking of which, I should probably add the languages they can learn to the stats block.

I think a comparison to a LA+0 race that moves 40 ft should be made, but I can`t think of any race like that at the moment.

Well, I could compare to an LA +1 race like the catfolk and see if the two would look close together in power if I added a speed bonus.

--Timeless Error

AugustNights
2010-11-27, 01:31 PM
A child of Fharlanghn never gets tired and may remain awake and continue to walk indefinitely. Rules that decree rest is required to recharge an ability do not apply to children of Fharlanghn.

I'm not exactly certain why, but precedent is that Wizards ALWAYS need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest before preparing spells. I'm not certain, exactly how this may be abused, but I do know it's a pretty adamant precedent.

Edit
Further, having traveled for some time and met fellows of the trail, those more devoted to traveling than I, I find they are more Charismatic than those who stay in one place. A broader perspective and knowledge of people tends to come with a more easy going personality that is charming in its own way. But, maybe I'm biased.

Timeless Error
2010-11-27, 01:50 PM
I'm not exactly certain why, but precedent is that Wizards ALWAYS need 8 hours of uninterrupted rest before preparing spells. I'm not certain, exactly how this may be abused, but I do know it's a pretty adamant precedent.

That feature was suggested by another playgrounder. It was originally a bonus feat: Endurance. Should I change it back?

Edit
Further, having traveled for some time and met fellows of the trail, those more devoted to traveling than I, I find they are more Charismatic than those who stay in one place. A broader perspective and knowledge of people tends to come with a more easy going personality that is charming in its own way. But, maybe I'm biased.

Huh. Well, you and the travelers you've met don't exactly live in a world of horrible monsters and scheming villains. I think that if they did, they'd be reserved and suspicious too.

AugustNights
2010-11-27, 02:24 PM
That feature was suggested by another playgrounder. It was originally a bonus feat: Endurance. Should I change it back?
I'd recommend against it.
Endurance is fairly boring, perhaps remove need to sleep, similar to Elves, only sans the 4 hour meditation. Allowing Abilities to reset automatically seems... I don't know, not appropriate.

Huh. Well, you and the travelers you've met don't exactly live in a world of horrible monsters and scheming villains. I think that if they did, they'd be reserved and suspicious too.

We all live in a world with horrible monsters and scheming villains. Keeping a hand over your coin-purse, and wearing a lock on your travel pack doesn't make you harsh and short worded, more these people I meet seem to have an understanding of why there are monsters and villains in the world, which has more to do with the need to survive and misunderstandings and human desire... Now people who travel because they are persecuted by governing authorities, ignored by law officials when in need, and are viewed as dangerous, yeah, they can get bitter and cold, real quick. But otherwise the 'There are Monsters Out There' makes as much sense for this race as Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, and other adventure happy races.

akma
2010-11-27, 02:48 PM
I meant that they would be sleep walking, not constantly awake.

AugustNights
2010-11-27, 02:56 PM
Sleep Walking is more of a Danger than a benefit.
Sleep Walking + Cliff = Dead.
Sleep Walking + Dungeon = Dead.
Sleep Walking + Monster = Most Likely Dead.
Sleep Walking + Tree = Embarrassment.

akma
2010-11-27, 03:00 PM
Could sleep walk, not neccesery always do. Besides, they don`t travel alone, they have the safety of their clan.

Timeless Error
2010-11-27, 03:14 PM
OK, how about I eliminate the entire Endurance/Sleep Walking/Ability Recharge thing and replace it with a +10 foot bonus to land speed (as suggested in an earlier post by akma).

We all live in a world with horrible monsters and scheming villains. Keeping a hand over your coin-purse, and wearing a lock on your travel pack doesn't make you harsh and short worded, more these people I meet seem to have an understanding of why there are monsters and villains in the world, which has more to do with the need to survive and misunderstandings and human desire... Now people who travel because they are persecuted by governing authorities, ignored by law officials when in need, and are viewed as dangerous, yeah, they can get bitter and cold, real quick. But otherwise the 'There are Monsters Out There' makes as much sense for this race as Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, and other adventure happy races.

Alright, you have a good point. I guess this race needs some serious re-flavoring. I'd eliminate the penalty to Charima and replace it with something else, but I want to keep there favored class at ranger, and rangers have MAD. They need to have at least a decent score in everything except Charisma (and even that if they want to boost their wild empathy). Any suggestions?

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-27, 03:45 PM

Your examples are based on those of the modern day that choose to travel and are welcome more or less everywhere they go. I've met people like that.

On the other hand, I've also met genuine nomads, who are treated as trouble and looked at as thieves wherever they go. Some of them are charming, many are not and a lot of them have a very real disdain for those who pursecute them...

For the spells thing, I'd just dictate that they cannot prepare spells until 24 hours has passed since they last recharged them [or 23 hours if you wish to go for the moment they finished]. Either that or they can enter a mobile trance where their attention wanes but they can still react on a basic level to the environment [fine for walking; cliff = stop, sudden movement = wake up, tree = move around, etc].

Oddly enough, if these guys were a little faster and had Dex instead of Con, they'd be 2e Darksun elves.

Timeless Error
2010-11-27, 04:07 PM
Your examples are based on those of the modern day that choose to travel and are welcome more or less everywhere they go. I've met people like that.

On the other hand, I've also met genuine nomads, who are treated as trouble and looked at as thieves wherever they go. Some of them are charming, many are not and a lot of them have a very real disdain for those who pursecute them...

For the spells thing, I'd just dictate that they cannot prepare spells until 24 hours has passed since they last recharged them [or 23 hours if you wish to go for the moment they finished]. Either that or they can enter a mobile trance where their attention wanes but they can still react on a basic level to the environment [fine for walking; cliff = stop, sudden movement = wake up, tree = move around, etc].

Oddly enough, if these guys were a little faster and had Dex instead of Con, they'd be 2e Darksun elves.

Thanks for the input! So I guess I'll keep the fluff, then.

As for the rest, I think the walking trance is a good idea.

And Dark Sun elves have stability bonuses?

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-27, 04:17 PM
Back in 2e, they could roll with a check against their Dex of up to 24 to regain their feet if knocked prone...

So more or less, in a roundabout way...

AugustNights
2010-11-29, 07:43 AM
I would recomend, then, including in the fluff that they are looked upon with suspicion, treated as theives and are often denied legal rights in the lands they travel, otherwise why not make all adventurers (who should be looked with heavy suspicion in the first place) suffer the same penalties?

Half Elves, a race known for being wanderers, gain a bonus on Diplomacy, and they are actively distrusted and looked down upon by their High Elf ancestors.

Timeless Error
2010-11-29, 02:55 PM
I would recomend, then, including in the fluff that they are looked upon with suspicion, treated as theives and are often denied legal rights in the lands they travel, otherwise why not make all adventurers (who should be looked with heavy suspicion in the first place) suffer the same penalties?

Half Elves, a race known for being wanderers, gain a bonus on Diplomacy, and they are actively distrusted and looked down upon by their High Elf ancestors.

OK, that makes sense. I'll make a few changes to the fluff.

Edit: OK, I've made the suggested changes.

Nigel the Hobo
2010-12-16, 10:56 PM
I personally think you did a well. The crunch seems pretty balanced, receiving plenty of bonuses that seem to fit the fluff for the -4 to charisma. I think I might try implementing them in my campaign world.

Great job!

Timeless Error
2010-12-17, 07:42 AM
I personally think you did a well. The crunch seems pretty balanced, receiving plenty of bonuses that seem to fit the fluff for the -4 to charisma. I think I might try implementing them in my campaign world.

Great job!

Really? Thank you! I would be honored if you implemented this race. Let me know how it goes!

Nigel the Hobo
2010-12-17, 09:13 PM
Really? Thank you! I would be honored if you implemented this race. Let me know how it goes!

I don't intend to run the world for a while. I'm currently between groups, so to get my fix I'm going to create a campaign world in my free time. Still, cool race.