PDA

View Full Version : Swift Action Teleports [3.5]

Tael
2010-11-26, 02:50 PM
I am in need of some cheap swift action teleports for a Shadowpouncing Unarmed Swordsage I am making. I have a bunch of Anklets of Translocation, but I was hoping for some slightly longer range teleportation. Can anyone tell me about some other forms of Swift action teleportation?

Vulaas
2010-11-26, 03:07 PM
For immediate action, I'd recommend a dip into Conjurer and then taking the Abrupt Jaunt variant, likely using Martial Wizard variant as well.

Tael
2010-11-26, 03:18 PM
I'd rather not have to dip classes if I could, low level spells and magic items are what I'm looking for.

Forged Fury
2010-11-26, 03:18 PM
If you can dip classes... You swordsaged me. Oh well, leaving it for posterity.

Ardent 1 (Freedom Mantle) gives access to Dimension Hop (Swift Action, 10' teleport). If you go 3 levels of Psion (any flavor) and burn a feat for Expanded Knowledge, you can pick up Dimension Hop and have the manifester level/pp cap to hop 20' with a swift action.

The games I have played in have no problem with teleportation effects triggering the Scout's skirmish feature, I frequently use this in a kalashtar scout build.

Keld Denar
2010-11-26, 03:33 PM
Hidden Talent gives you 2 PP and a 1st level power. That would get you 2/day Dim Hops. You can only take it at 1st though. Then you can access the Earth Node (CPsi location worth 4500g) to get an extra 5 PP for a total of 7 uses per day without sinking any class levels. If you want to go for more on top of that, the feat Azure Talent (Magic of Incarnum) allows you to sink Essentia into it for more PP. Then you could buy a couple of items that give bonus essentia (like the Incarnum Ring of Protection) and flease them for their essentia, or take a feat like Extra Essentia or one of the dozen incarnum feats like Cobalt Charge or Azure Toughness to get more PP.

Forged Fury
2010-11-26, 03:37 PM
Hidden Talent gives you 2 PP and a 1st level power...Are you limited to ML1? The only problem I see with that method is that you're limited to 10' and can't augment to get extra distance. I don't think you could use Practiced Manifester to improve it either, could you?

Still, probably better than class levels if you can't think of anything else useful to do with them.

randomhero00
2010-11-26, 03:40 PM
I suggest a 1 level dip in barbarian for pounce, essentially an unlimited (swift/short) teleport per day...

edit travel domain if you can someone get it.

Then there's the Ruby knight vindicator.

Tael
2010-11-26, 03:48 PM
Hidden Talent gives you 2 PP and a 1st level power. That would get you 2/day Dim Hops. You can only take it at 1st though. Then you can access the Earth Node (CPsi location worth 4500g) to get an extra 5 PP for a total of 7 uses per day without sinking any class levels. If you want to go for more on top of that, the feat Azure Talent (Magic of Incarnum) allows you to sink Essentia into it for more PP. Then you could buy a couple of items that give bonus essentia (like the Incarnum Ring of Protection) and flease them for their essentia, or take a feat like Extra Essentia or one of the dozen incarnum feats like Cobalt Charge or Azure Toughness to get more PP.

Ohh wow, this is great, thanks.

I suggest a 1 level dip in barbarian for pounce, essentially an unlimited (swift/short) teleport per day...

edit travel domain if you can someone get it.

Then there's the Ruby knight vindicator.

I actually need to Teleport teleport, as I am Shadowpouncing, so normal pounce doesn't do me much good unfortunately.

Eldariel
2010-11-26, 03:56 PM
I'm probably missing something, but...Shadow Blink?

Tael
2010-11-26, 04:11 PM
I'm probably missing something, but...Shadow Blink?

Heh, yeah, but I'm not high enough level for that.

sreservoir
2010-11-26, 05:05 PM

or, for the cost of four feats: hidden talent, azure talent, psycarum infusion, psionic meditation.

psionic meditation isn't even necessary if you recharge out-of-combat.

Keld Denar
2010-11-26, 05:55 PM
A Torc of Power Preservation will also reduced the PP cost of Dim Hop by 1 PP, allowing you to manifest it at 2 PP (reduced to 1 PP, which is = your ML). The MIC one is 4000g for 5/day, the SRD one is much more, but its unlimited. That gives you 15' Dim Hops 5/day or all times per day, depending on which version you buy.

Psyren
2010-11-26, 06:46 PM
If you want more PP for your Hidden Talent there are a couple of other things you can do:

- Pick a psionic race: Kalashtar are the clear winner here with 1 bonus PP per character level, but almost any of them will work. Xeph get 1 and a speed boost, Elans get two and other nice abilities to use them with, Half-Giants get Powerful Build etc.

- Hidden Talent makes you psionic even if your race isn't - which lets you qualify for psionic items and feats. So you can get a cognizance crystal to drain when you need to hop around, and then refill it on days that are light on combat. You can also grab the Body Fuel feat for emergencies, and burn your ability scores into more PP in a pinch.

Darrin
2010-11-26, 09:42 PM
I am in need of some cheap swift action teleports for a Shadowpouncing Unarmed Swordsage I am making. I have a bunch of Anklets of Translocation, but I was hoping for some slightly longer range teleportation. Can anyone tell me about some other forms of Swift action teleportation?

Vanishing weapon (+8000 GP, MIC p. 45). 1/day, after a successful attack, teleport anywhere within 60' as a swift action.

Knight's move (Spell Compendium) is a swift action to cast, but it requires an ally to provide a flanking partner. In Complete Mage, dimension jumper or greater dimension jumper allow teleport as a swift action for the duration of the spell, but probably requires a high-level spellcaster to cast it on you first.

There are also several methods to teleport as a move action. In the MIC for example:

Bolt Shirt (5000 GP). 1/day teleport up to 60'.
Boots of Swift Passage (5000 GP). 5/day teleport up to 20'.

You can get extra move actions with Tempo Bloodspikes (Magic of Eberron p. 140). Standard action to inject yourself, but anytime within the next hour, you can activate it to take an extra move action that turn.

There's also the Greaves of Aundair (Forge of War p. 124). +10' to your base speed, and 3/day, as an immediate action you can take a move action, but you're dazed the next round.

Have you looked at any Ruby Knight Shadowpouncer builds? You can use Divine Recovery to recover Shadow Blink, and then Divine Impetus to give you more swift actions to activate it. Load up on Nightsticks, and every 2 three turn undead attempts converts into a full attack. [Edit: Thanks, Keld. Forgot Divine Recovery required a swift action.]

Keld Denar
2010-11-26, 09:50 PM
Its 3 TU attempts per blink cycle. Divine Recovery costs you a swift action. So:

Move
Standard
Shadow Blink
Divine Impetus (1 TU)
Divine Recovery (1 TU)
Divine Impetus (1 TU) > Shadow Blink
Divine Impetus (1 TU) > Divine Recovery (1 TU)
Divine Impetus (1 TU) > Shadow Blink
Divine Impetus (1 TU) > Divine Recovery (1 TU)
etc.

3 TU attempts per blink iteration.

dextercorvia
2010-11-26, 10:30 PM
Are there any non FR sources of shadowpounce?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-26, 10:49 PM
Eberron has the Blade of Orien class, which gets an ability similar to shadowouncing (full attack after using a teleport from the Mark of Passage).

I don't know about non-setting specific.

Darrin
2010-11-27, 10:18 AM
Oh, I forgot about:

Familiar refuge (Complete Mage p. 104) requires a familiar and is a bit too high-level to be useful, but a familiar (or a cohort/ally) with a wand of benign transposition could be pretty effective at a fairly low cost.

Panic Button, Escape (750 GP, Complete Scoundrel p. 115). One-shot dimension door up to 30'. These can be thrown down as a swift action if you're not wearing any armor.

Totemist 2 + Blink Shirt soulmeld can dimension door as a move action at will.

Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC p. 161) can probably be used with benign transposition or dimension hop to activate a teleport effect as a free action. Put the glyph seal on a pouch that contains spell components or ammunition (free action to draw), or a weapon that can be drawn as a free action (Least Crystal of Return, 300 GP), and the spell goes off. Multiple Glyph Seals... well, how's your dodge AC vs. thrown rulebooks?