PDA

View Full Version : Kindle V. Nook?

zyborg
2010-11-26, 06:47 PM
I was thinking about getting an ebook reading device, but was wondering which is better - the Amazon Kindle, or the Barnes and Nobles Nook? For those who have tried both, which do you like better? For those that have one or the other, do you like it?

JediSoth
2010-11-26, 10:35 PM
Well, the new Nook Color is an LCD screen versus the Kindle's e-ink display. If you're talking the old Nook, then it uses e-ink, also. I have a Kindle and have found reading on the e-ink display to be very pleasant; I like it more than reading a paperback book, in fact.

If you go with an e-ink display, either will serve you well, but neither one is all that great at displaying PDFs. But, if you're just planning on using it to read novels and such, then either is good; the main selling point will be do you prefer to purchase your e-books from Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com?

Amazon recently opened up gift purchases of e-books, so someone can purchase them for you as a gift, and they'll download to your Kindle the next time you sync it. You can also drag-and-drop PDFs and e-books in the proper format (that you got, say, for free from somewhere) into your Kindle. It will also play MP3s, and has a text-to-speech feature.

I would recommend going into a store and looking at them. Staples and Target both sell Kindles now. The Nook, I think you'll have to go into a Barnes & Noble to look at. You should also go online to their respective websites and see which one has more of the books you want available electronically.

leakingpen
2010-11-27, 09:26 AM
The sony ereader. It handles more formats, has better battery life, and takes sd cards and sony prosticks, so you can load things OTHER than just through cell or wifi network or usb connection. for example, i can make a text file of my grocery list, simple text file, pop it on an sd card, pop it in the unit, and presto.

also, it handles better.

(they have demo units up at a lot of target stores)

Ravens_cry
2010-11-27, 02:27 PM
Book™. No battery required, ever, and instant loading and reads well in almost all lighting conditions.
It only stores one text at a time, but Book™ Works With the Shelves You Have at Home™
Also, it's biodegradable for easy, green, disposal.

AshDesert
2010-11-27, 05:58 PM
I would say the Kindle, if only because it's winning, so you'll actually be able to buy books for it in a couple of years after B&N discontinues the Nook. Other than that, they're very similar, though the Kindle does feel better in my hands (though that is extremely subjective and should be disregarded:smallwink:).

turkishproverb
2010-11-27, 09:11 PM
Book™. No battery required, ever, and instant loading and reads well in almost all lighting conditions.
It only stores one text at a time, but Book™ Works With the Shelves You Have at Home™
Also, it's biodegradable for easy, green, disposal.

I think we've been reading the same webcomics. :smallbiggrin:

leakingpen
2010-11-27, 10:10 PM
I would say the Kindle, if only because it's winning, so you'll actually be able to buy books for it in a couple of years after B&N discontinues the Nook. Other than that, they're very similar, though the Kindle does feel better in my hands (though that is extremely subjective and should be disregarded:smallwink:).

Again, the ereader handles all the main ebook formats, and pdfs, and txts, and rtf, and html.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-27, 10:49 PM
I think we've been reading the same webcomics. :smallbiggrin:
Penny Arcade isn't my favourite webcomic, though I do not deny its quality in and of itself, but that line was just too good not to steal. But yeah, I'm a fan of dead trees. They just feel better to me is all.

dgnslyr
2010-11-27, 11:03 PM
The agonized cries of the slain trees is what makes the feel of the pages so pleasant.

turkishproverb
2010-11-27, 11:13 PM
*looks at collection of 1000's of books*

Agreed.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 02:13 AM
I'm leaning towards Kindle.

Also, for someone who buys a LOT of books, won't these be better for the environment in the long run than books? I mean, if you're at the library that's one thing. :smallconfused:

TSGames
2010-11-28, 11:30 PM

Also, for someone who buys a LOT of books, won't these be better for the environment in the long run than books?
But wait, doesn't that cause eye strain, back pain, and carpal tunnel? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8RuCSfOiBE&feature=player_embedded#!)

Ravens_cry
2010-11-29, 04:19 AM

Also, for someone who buys a LOT of books, won't these be better for the environment in the long run than books? I mean, if you're at the library that's one thing. :smallconfused:
Well, let's see, books will last decades, longer for non-acid paper, and when they do the material is completely biodegradable compared to a hunk of plastic, silicon and metal that will take centuries to biodegrade and will likely break in a few years. Not to mention the cost to the environment in running the thing in electricity, depending on how it is generated. It's not much, but it adds up. Books are basically a one time cost to the enviroment in energy and resources, except lighting, something both books and the devices require,and all of it is from renewable resources.
I don't own a Nook or a Kindle, so I don't know if they run on external or internal batteries, but if the latter, there is that to consider as well.
There is the cost of transporting books, but there is the cost of servers for websites that offer them. Also, you often can only have the text for a while, a book is as long as you want, barring unfortunate circumstances.
So do the math and decide for yourself.
I just like books, real books I can put a book mark I made in 8th grade art class in, books that don't quit when the power goes out, books that have been loved by others, books I can touch, books I can smell. I bought a used copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey that smelled of old pipe smoke when i bought it, an old paperback of 'Wind in the Willows' several children who had loved it in turn had scrawled their name in, I found a cookbook with an old newspaper clipping of a recipie as a bookmark. A data file does not have the sense of history, of being loved, that a book can.You can't rebind an old well-loved text file when the spine is broken, you can not dry it out carefully, teasing apart the pages if it gets wet. Kindle and Nooks may have their convenience, but neither will ever replace the actual factual book as my main form of reading, even if I got one.
That's my opinion anyway.

Aiani
2010-11-29, 06:03 AM
I have an older Nook and I love it. It's very comfortable to hold and read from. I don't really know much about the differences between the two but with the Nook you do have the option to lend books to other people with a Barnes & Noble account. I have a friend at work who has the B&N app on his phone and we have exchanged a couple of books. The lending feature worked really well for us. Oh if you get either I would suggest getting a cover that can double as a stand for your device. Hands free reading for super laziness, also nice if you have a snack while reading.

Psyren
2010-11-30, 11:52 AM
This should help you decide - apparently, Color Nook can be jailbroken, (http://www.geekosystem.com/nook-color-rooted/) giving you an Android Tablet that's about half the price of the Galaxy. (Legally, too.) So you effectively get two gadgets in one if you're tech-savvy (or have a friend who is.)

Specs-wise, the color Nook is behind the iPad, but only slightly.

leakingpen
2010-11-30, 12:59 PM
well... color nook is an lcd screen, not epaper. different beast.

Syka
2010-11-30, 02:28 PM
Eh, I'm probably sticking with the real deal for now. I don't buy many books nowadays (I wait until Christmas or birthday for B&N giftcards, or ask for them as gifts, or more usually get them from the library). I have an extensive collection of books, though.

For me it's the whole experience. Ravens_Cry actually summed up my feelings quite well. This Thanksgiving weekend I was tempted to pick the Nook up since it was on sale at Best Buy. My best friend has a Sony e-Reader, and her sister a Kindle, and they both love them. But...I don't need one. I don't mind carrying one book around with me. I don't trust that my digital library of books would be maintained for the length I would want, I don't trust that an ereader wouldn't break, etc. Plus, AFAIK, you can't put the books you already own on there and I haven't seen too drastic of a price difference.

It makes sense for my friend, because she's constantly moving and getting deployed because of the military. Most of her books are in storage. When she gets deployed, she can't exactly bring her hundreds of books with her, plus she'd have to wait for new releases otherwise. I don't have the same issue.

And yes...I act like an old foogey. I still buy textbooks from the school rather than offline, all my music is backed up on CD's and other storage devices, and I only buy stuff online when I have to/it's a ridiculously good deal. I told Oz that when we move, we can minimize how much we bring but I WILL be bringing a bookshelf filled with books. No if's, and's, or but's.

leakingpen
2010-11-30, 04:02 PM
Eh, I'm probably sticking with the real deal for now. I don't buy many books nowadays (I wait until Christmas or birthday for B&N giftcards, or ask for them as gifts, or more usually get them from the library). I have an extensive collection of books, though.

For me it's the whole experience. Ravens_Cry actually summed up my feelings quite well. This Thanksgiving weekend I was tempted to pick the Nook up since it was on sale at Best Buy. My best friend has a Sony e-Reader, and her sister a Kindle, and they both love them. But...I don't need one. I don't mind carrying one book around with me. I don't trust that my digital library of books would be maintained for the length I would want, I don't trust that an ereader wouldn't break, etc. Plus, AFAIK, you can't put the books you already own on there and I haven't seen too drastic of a price difference.

It makes sense for my friend, because she's constantly moving and getting deployed because of the military. Most of her books are in storage. When she gets deployed, she can't exactly bring her hundreds of books with her, plus she'd have to wait for new releases otherwise. I don't have the same issue.

And yes...I act like an old foogey. I still buy textbooks from the school rather than offline, all my music is backed up on CD's and other storage devices, and I only buy stuff online when I have to/it's a ridiculously good deal. I told Oz that when we move, we can minimize how much we bring but I WILL be bringing a bookshelf filled with books. No if's, and's, or but's.

Old fogey as well, but old science fiction reader, so ive been waiting a couple decades for ebooks.

I have (had) over 3000 books. Its just not feasible. I now have about 1500 of them on a single chip to go in my reader. (irc , undernet, bookz channel) I only have downloaded books I already own in paper. but i got them all for free.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-30, 04:20 PM
Old fogey as well, but old science fiction reader, so ive been waiting a couple decades for ebooks.

I have (had) over 3000 books. Its just not feasible. I now have about 1500 of them on a single chip to go in my reader. (irc , undernet, bookz channel) I only have downloaded books I already own in paper. but i got them all for free.
Ironically, my love of science fiction is another reason I don't. Many of the books I own are older, too obscure to be eBooked. Also, an ebook as yet doesn't do colour, nor does it handle larger books, like an illustrated history of flight I own.

Mewtarthio
2010-11-30, 04:25 PM
I've always been a fan of mass-market paperbacks, because they're cheap, easy to carry, and don't take up much space. All three of those factors are quite important to me right now. All three of those factors are also replicated by eBooks (once I've already spent money on the eReader itself), with the added advantage that I can also buy new releases without having to lug around those cumbersome hardcovers. Therefore, I find eBooks appealing. It's simple logic. I think I'll try to get a Nook sometime this Christmas (the vanilla Nook; I don't really need the Color's extra features).

Psyren
2010-11-30, 04:36 PM
Stylistically, I prefer ePaper myself. However, a color screen is much better for reading magazines.

Dubious Pie
2010-11-30, 05:08 PM
I am pro Kindle, if only because B&N don't have as good of a supply of Tech/Programming books, which are the kind I read most.

valadil
2010-12-01, 10:08 AM
I still haven't decided if I even want an e-Reader yet. I mostly just read library books, so I wouldn't actually save space with a Nook or Kindle. However, eBooks can be checked in and out of the library over the internet, bypassing the need to wait for books to arrive and then walk to the library to retrieve them. That feature alone may be worth the cost of the device for me. Nothing's worse than finishing a book a day or two early and having nothing to read on my commute.

leakingpen
2010-12-01, 03:51 PM
Ironically, my love of science fiction is another reason I don't. Many of the books I own are older, too obscure to be eBooked. Also, an ebook as yet doesn't do colour, nor does it handle larger books, like an illustrated history of flight I own.

I have the entire works of Heinlein, Sturgeon, EE Smith, the entire runs of Amazing sci fi, Astounding sci fi, and Amazing and Astounding sci fi, and several others.

Just because no one is SELLING it, doesn't mean it isnt there.

(the lack of color and large format, I agree with you on. the nice thing with the other books though, you can up the font size. useful as us old fart's eyes start to go.)

Dubious Pie, a lot of ereaders do PDF's just fine, which most of those books will come in.

Syka
2010-12-01, 09:00 PM
Hmm...question. If you have an account on B&N, I know you can download NookBooks regardless of if you actually own a Nook, to read on the computer or phone.

Is Amazon the same way with it's eBooks?

Can the Sony eReader read both those formats?

I don't feel like shelling out for an eReader myself, but I may stick it on my Christmas list anyway 'cause there are a few free eBooks I saw at B&N, plus if my library does eBooks...*evil grin*

Also...where can I find a not-scary place to download free eBooks without having to worry about if I'll be exposing my poor computer to something frightening?

leakingpen
2010-12-01, 10:47 PM
Kinda. Amazon books come in either azw or topaz. if its topaz, all the other ereaders can use it no problem.

if its azw, if its DRM protected, then no. If its not drm protected, then yes.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-12-01, 11:11 PM
Kindle, for the e-ink. It's probably the most pleasant thing to read out there, for me it's actually better than paper. Too bad I can't afford one and have to use my netbook.

Although, I'm kinda weird. On the one hand, I don't think I've read a paper book in years, all e-books. I don't like the library (they usually never have what I want if I'm searching for a particular book, plus the time to actually go there, plus getting shushed every time I answer my phone). And I don't see much point in buying a physical book that I'm probably never going to read again if all it's going to do is take up space (probably because I've moved around a lot the last few years).

On the other hand, I can't stand digital textbooks. I need a physical textbook to study. Even though I (usually) don't highlight or bookmark anything, I find it much, much easier to flip pages back and forth between 3-4 places I'm reading at any given moment (which I do about fifty times an hour). Plus it's easier to go back and look up stuff you don't remember from previous chapters (I'm a biochemist so it's a given that I won't remember about 90% of specifics like which protein does what and how and have to go back and look it up to understand the current topic).

I actually dread the time when universities become electronic only. If I'm going to pay $300 for a book, I damn well better get a physical BookTM that I can resell or keep for reference without having to worry about my license expiring or some crap like that.

/rant.

leakingpen
2010-12-02, 12:00 AM
agreed, but i think it could be designed well.

kyoryu
2010-12-02, 07:57 PM
The sony ereader. It handles more formats, has better battery life, and takes sd cards and sony prosticks, so you can load things OTHER than just through cell or wifi network or usb connection. for example, i can make a text file of my grocery list, simple text file, pop it on an sd card, pop it in the unit, and presto.

also, it handles better.

(they have demo units up at a lot of target stores)

I've got a Nook. I had a Sony. The touchscreen Sony has *terrible* glare issues compared to any other reader.

The Nook will read just about anything the Sony will, as well - including books from the Sony store. The reverse is not true, however, as the Sony can't read B&N books (due to the specific DRM used - it's not that it's proprietary, they just don't support it).

I prefer the Nook to the Kindle, honestly. I don't like the physical keyboard on the Kindle, as it makes it feel cluttered to me. Also, the LCD is useful for navigating menus and whatnot as it updates faster than e-ink.

With the latest update (1.5), page turn speed is *very* fast - it used to be *very* slow on the Nook.

As far as compatibility, Kindle has their own format, while ePub can be read by just about anything. Lots of libraries also lend eBooks, which will not (last I checked) work with the Kindle - but will with the Nook, or the Sony, or the Kobo, or...

Syka
2010-12-02, 08:54 PM
Okies, Nook is going on my Christmas list. Don't think I'll actually get it but *shrug*. And I'd pretty much be getting it for the free eBooks to pass the time. Any books I want to actually buy (Dresden Files, etc), will be bought traditionally. I just really don't want to risk losing my library to faulty software/hardware.

I MIGHT buy a couple books if they are cheap and I don't care. Might actually use it to subscribe to the NYT or something instead of getting a physical subscription, though.

Mewtarthio
2010-12-02, 09:46 PM
And I'd pretty much be getting it for the free eBooks to pass the time. Any books I want to actually buy (Dresden Files, etc), will be bought traditionally.

Huh. Ironically enough, Dresden Files is exactly the sort of series I'd want eBooks for.

kyoryu
2010-12-02, 11:45 PM
Okies, Nook is going on my Christmas list. Don't think I'll actually get it but *shrug*. And I'd pretty much be getting it for the free eBooks to pass the time. Any books I want to actually buy (Dresden Files, etc), will be bought traditionally. I just really don't want to risk losing my library to faulty software/hardware.

I MIGHT buy a couple books if they are cheap and I don't care. Might actually use it to subscribe to the NYT or something instead of getting a physical subscription, though.

You won't lose anything purchased from B&N due to faulty hardware - you can re-download multiple times to multiple devices, so long as they're linked to your account.

I own the full Dresden Files on the nook - most of them, I purchased as eBooks even though I had physical copies already.

leakingpen
2010-12-04, 12:07 PM
I've got a Nook. I had a Sony. The touchscreen Sony has *terrible* glare issues compared to any other reader.

The Nook will read just about anything the Sony will, as well - including books from the Sony store. The reverse is not true, however, as the Sony can't read B&N books (due to the specific DRM used - it's not that it's proprietary, they just don't support it).

I prefer the Nook to the Kindle, honestly. I don't like the physical keyboard on the Kindle, as it makes it feel cluttered to me. Also, the LCD is useful for navigating menus and whatnot as it updates faster than e-ink.

With the latest update (1.5), page turn speed is *very* fast - it used to be *very* slow on the Nook.

As far as compatibility, Kindle has their own format, while ePub can be read by just about anything. Lots of libraries also lend eBooks, which will not (last I checked) work with the Kindle - but will with the Nook, or the Sony, or the Kobo, or...

Im not a fan of touchscreens. Doing some research, yeah, apparently Barnes and Noble changed to a proprietary ebook format. they used to be epubs...

zyborg
2010-12-04, 12:18 PM
So... much... info...

Meh. I'm starting a poll.

kyoryu
2010-12-06, 01:49 AM
Im not a fan of touchscreens. Doing some research, yeah, apparently Barnes and Noble changed to a proprietary ebook format. they used to be epubs...

Huh? I just checked to download a book I owned, and it still downloaded as epub.

leakingpen
2010-12-06, 10:52 AM
kyoryu... really? then it should work just fine on a sony reader. (i'm just going off what im seeing online)

DomaDoma
2010-12-06, 11:16 AM
Hang the both of them. The books on my shelves will last longer.

raitalin
2010-12-06, 11:26 AM
After thorough deliberation I have chosen The Archos 7 (http://www.archos.com/products/ht/index.html?country=us&lang=en) as a gift for my brother-in-law. I was originally considering a Kindle or Nook, but when I looked at the price point on the Nook color I thought "I bet you I can get an android tablet that does all of that, plus more and is cheaper." Tadaa.

alchemyprime
2010-12-06, 02:40 PM
I... am torn. I'm not too keen on the Nook, but I would want an Android Tablet or a Kindle.

Kindle:
e-ink is VERY nice, and easier on my eyes.
3G Whispernet for Wikipedia. It's like a real Hitchhiker's Guide.
I like that a lot of my college textbooks are available on it.
Longer battery life.

Tablet:
More general use
Better for notes for me than my laptop.
Color.

Either:
I have THOUSANDS of e-books and a few hundred videos I saved (I have wonky internet sometimes, so I save youtube videos) I would want to watch. An Android tablet had USB ports for my portable hard drives.

So, either way for me, but if I was picking besides Nook or Kindle, can Nook play PDFs? If so, Nook. If not, Kindle unless you really like color. If you can, Sylvania 2GB Tablet or Coby Kyros 4GB. I like em, and they aren't too expensive. I work at an electronics place, and we got those in and I want one BADLY *hopes Grandma comes through*

valadil
2010-12-06, 02:45 PM
I think I've come to a consensus on these devices. I'm going to wait a couple versions. Not because I think there's something wrong with the current iteration, but because my friends will. I know plenty of people with Kindles and Nooks. Next time there's a major update, one of them will sell their old one and I'll be able to pick it up cheap. For the moment, they're just not worth $100 to me.

kyoryu
2010-12-06, 07:49 PM
kyoryu... really? then it should work just fine on a sony reader. (i'm just going off what im seeing online)

It doesn't. The DRM they use is keyed off of the credit card used to buy the book, IIRC - and there's no way to get that on the Sony.

It's a standard epub mechanism, it just happens to be a standard epub mechanism that the Sony doesn't support. So it's not that BN is using a proprietary standard, it's that the Sony reader's support is not complete.

So, either way for me, but if I was picking besides Nook or Kindle, can Nook play PDFs?

Nook reads PDFs. Not sure if it can read protected ones, but I *think* it does.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-12-07, 01:07 PM
To the book purists a general note:

How many books can you take on a highly mobile lifestyle like say the in the military like myself? Or simply any time you don't have a premium of storage space like in a small apartment?

Less then the hundreds you can pack on reader. Ultimately.

I'm not going to abandon books entirely (I will probably abandon softcover though) but honestly my Kindle has saved my life over the past few months when in the middle of the Mediterranean. I would not be able to carry my complete Dresden and WoT with me physically. Nevermind the classics I can get at minimal to no cost and would never pick up otherwise in a store where I will still pay for public domain tomes.

Thank you.

Now then as to which one. Having seen all three on my ship I'd say there's not terribly much difference in the end. But no LCD is going to compete with an e-ink screen for battery life. Which I understand is the new Nook, thus would not recomend it. That simple convenience is enough for me. Also my Kindle has worked wirelessly in every country ('cept one and even there I had a work around) I've been to so far without need even of wi-fi. If that's the same with the competition then so be it, but I've been extremely happy with my choice of the Kindle.

Syka
2010-12-07, 04:37 PM
The only thing going against the Kindle for me, really, is it's lack of ePub. I'd be predominately utilizing public libraries (a nearby library system to where I live currently uses OverDrive, and I'm pretty sure the New York Public Library does as well, where I'll be moving).

I'm thinking the (original) Nook would work for me. The LCD touch screens are right out, though. It has the added plus of me being able to stop by a B&N and read for a random hour (or more if I switch books).

Right now I'm thinking I'll use it for the free books and library books. Depending on how I acclimate to it, I may or may not begin buying actual books on there. The more I'm thinking of it, the more I am considering because teeny, tiny little NYC apartment will not lend itself to books. >> Although, I have convinced Boyfriend to let me have one book shelf.

Not worried about universal Wikipedia access, really, since I've got an iPhone that already does that. :smallsmile:

Oh...one question...do you need a computer to DL to a Nook? And can you DL NookBooks internationally? I plan on going to Europe this summer, so that would be handy.

ETA: I should clarify. I'm asking because this'll be on my Christmas list. I haven't been convinced to shell out the money myself, yet. Lol.

kyoryu
2010-12-07, 07:45 PM
Oh...one question...do you need a computer to DL to a Nook? And can you DL NookBooks internationally? I plan on going to Europe this summer, so that would be handy.

You don't need a computer to DL to the Nook - it can do so over wireless or 3G depending on the model. In fact, I'm not sure you *can* download a book bought from bn.com through the computer. You do use the computer to download any non-bn.com material (other ePub, pdf, etc.) though.

I don't know about international support, though.