PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Kain vampires anyone done it? (3.5)

Erevar
2010-11-26, 11:53 PM
Hi, i have actually been searching the internet for a while to see if anyone has done anything on the subject of creating vampires from the legacy of Kain game series for a D&D 3.5 version type of game and have so far been unable to find anything. I was wondering if anyone has actually worked on this on the forums or if anyone is interested in creating something like this.

al'raith
2010-11-27, 01:59 AM
The closest I've seen anyone to doing that was the vempire template The Demented One did. They were weaker and stronger with different abilites all aroundhttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58213

Erevar
2010-11-27, 07:38 AM
Thank you i had not noticed that i think i can work something out with that and maybe adapt it a little bit for my purposes.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-11-27, 07:01 PM
I did it, worked on it for years age categories advancing powers and abilities, and then it was all destroyed when the computers harddrive died. I never completely rebuilt the rules, Instead opting for a more on the fly system when it came to abilities.

Abilities by age category
Fledgling Str+6, Dex+4, Int+2, Wis+2, Cha+2 Speed+10[new born vamp]
Young Str+2, Dex+1, Int+1, Wis+1, Cha+1
Adult Str+3, Dex+1, Int+1, Wis+1, Cha+1 Speed+10
Old Str+4, Dex+2, Int+1, Wis+1, Cha+2
Ancient Str+5, Dex+2, Int+1, Wis+1, Cha+2 Speed+10
*These bonuses are cumulative, so an ancient would have +20 Str, +10 Dexterity, +6 intelligence and wisdom and +8 charisma in addition to a +30 speed.*

A Fledglings come with a basic set of abilities, fast healing, spider climb, resistance to cold and electricity and blood drain, the skill bonuses and feats from MM vampires and of course natural armor and damage reduction to magic silvered weapons

As they grow older they may evolve the abilities of gaseous form, children of the night or dominating gaze, shape changing etc.
Or they may evolve other powers, enhanced fast healing, DR, or natural armor. telekinesis[or other spell-likes], evasion, hide in plain sight, dark blessing[charisma bonus to saves].

The older the vampire the more potent abilities they may have, an ancient might have a permanent miss chance as portions of their body turn to mist to avoid incoming attacks. Or he uses charisma to determine bonus hit points.

I l also came up with my own unique bits rather then simply borrow existing abilities.

Blood Draining Gaze, As a standard action the vampire focuses his gaze at a single foe and bares his fangs, the target must make a fortitude save DC[10+1/2HD+Charisma mod] or have their constitution drained to 0. Even if successful the vampire still drains 1d6 points of con. The vampire is healed for 5 points of damage per point of con drained in this matter, excess hit points become temporary to a maximum of twice the vampire's hit dice.

Dimensional Strike: As a full round action the vampire may make a melee attack against every opponent within 60ft at his highest attack bonus. Time and space are twisted as the strikes happen almost simultaneously. He must wait 1d4+1 rounds before using this ability again.

I could go on but you get the idea.

The main difference is in slaying, unlike other undead a vampire reduced to 0 hit points is not destroyed[and unlike the MM there is no turns to mist and escapes]
Instead they enter a waver like state for 1d4 rounds after which they awaken at the beginning of their turn, they continue to heal normally every round while wavered and can NOT be reduced below 0 hit points.

During this time they are helpless, and a wooden stake, spear or similar impalement weapon can be driven through a vampire's heart as a full-round action similar to a coup'de'grace.

Driving a wooden stake through a vampire’s heart instantly slays the monster. However, it returns to life if the stake is removed, unless the body is destroyed. A popular tactic is to cut off the creature’s head and burn them in separate pyres.
Decapitating a fledgling is certainly fatal for it, but an older vampire may survive if the head is returned to the body. Disintegration is a popular method of disposal for the oldest of vampires as all that remains is fine dust, legend speaks of a vampire so ancient he survived even that.

Exposing an fledgling to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape. Older vampires can survive for longer periods exposed to sunlight while ancient vampires are not harmed at all.
One popular hunting tactic is to simply expose a staked vampire to direct sunlight and let nature do the job, this is dangerous however as another vampire may interfere before dawn removing the stake.

Like their MM counter parts, immersing my vampires in water robs it of one-third of its hit points each round, however they are not destroyed on the third round, instead they simply lay at the bottom of the water like a rock.
If they are ever removed from the water their unlife will be restored in addition being underwater prevents the sun from turning them to crispy critters.

Erevar
2010-11-27, 11:12 PM
Also interesting ideas if i actually find some time this week i might actually start doing my own version of this is for a game i am planning on running during Christmas and present it for the board to review if on the mean time anyone else is up to the challenge please feel free to present your ideas or interpretations of the nosgoth type of vampire. However i would like to point out 2 things one is that the nosgoth vampires as they evolve they become i guess more feral is the word and that they are able to drain the blood of other vampires to gain their special ability to a lesser extent.