PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Palahniuk

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 11:55 PM
I just got through reading Choke. I've also read Survivor, and of course, Fight Club. Without a doubt one of the best writers of the last twenty years. Thoughts? Favorite quotes? Favorite books? :smallbiggrin:

WalkingTarget
2010-11-27, 03:20 PM
I just got through reading Choke. I've also read Survivor, and of course, Fight Club. Without a doubt one of the best writers of the last twenty years. Thoughts? Favorite quotes? Favorite books? :smallbiggrin:

Go read Rant. Like, now. Why are you still reading this and not Rant?

Moff Chumley
2010-11-27, 09:25 PM
That's next on my stack after I finish Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman... :smallcool:

Trog
2010-11-28, 11:45 AM
Chuck is awesome! Easily one of my favorite writers of all time.

Have Read:

Stranger than Fiction (his non-fic collection)
Fight Club (movie had a better ending imo)
Survivor
Choke
Lullaby
Diary
Pygmy

Probably Won't Read:

I tried to read Invisible Monsters... but somehow I couldn't really get into it
I read a couple chapters of Haunted and then... I actually got grossed out enough that I closed the book and never opened it again. He's done readings of the book and has had dozens of people pass out. o.O
No urge whatsoever to read Snuff

Might Soon Read:

Rant
Tell-All
Damned (when it comes out I'm definitely picking it up from the brief description of it I've seen).

He's an interesting writer and while I feel that his craft has improved (he has definitely improved on writing decent endings over the years) I think he has lost something in his more recent books that I can't really put my finger on. He has definitely gone for a lot of shock throughout his writing and to a certain extent that is good... up to a point, I think. After a while it seems to be shock for shock's sake and I find that much less interesting.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-28, 01:00 PM
On the other hand, I've only read Haunted and read a few chapters of Diary while I waited for my friend to finish showering last night =3

Mostly because I don't really have much time to read anymore, because I rather like him and his creativity. I adore the way his mind works.

mooseofshadows
2010-11-28, 02:45 PM
Read Haunted. It's very likely you creep you out or make you cringe, but that doesn't make it bad. It's a very well-structured, creepy, and intriguing read.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-28, 02:53 PM
Agreed, Trog. There's an energy, I guess, that his early books have, that the newer stuff lacks. An urgency. I dunno.

Gorgondantess
2010-11-28, 03:30 PM
Haunted has a variety of short stories. Guts is the worst one, and is tactfully placed at the very beginning- if you can get past that, you can get past everything.
There was one really, really cool short story in it about the afterlife being on venus or something... that one was my favorite, and it's definitely worth a read if only for that.
Anyways, my personal favorite of his is Fight Club, and I honestly don't think anything else compares. Since then, he's gone far too much for shock value and not nearly enough for craft.

Semidi
2010-11-28, 05:42 PM
I've read Choke and Fight Club. I thought Choke was amazing and Fight Club was OK. I kind of want to read Diary and Haunted later. I'm not too worried about being grossed out. I got through American Psycho and most of the the Marquis De Sade's works and I've read Guts before.

Raistlin1040
2010-11-28, 05:49 PM
I've read Choke, Fight Club, and Rant. Fight Club was one of the rare cases of the Movie being better than the book in my opinion, but still good. Choke was fantastic. Rant was pretty good.