PDA

View Full Version : Wwrad

Nevereatcars
2010-11-27, 12:51 AM
In 664, Roy had a short conversation with his Archon. I want to know the fan speculations you guys came up with after reading that.

Felixc-91
2010-11-27, 02:47 AM
In 664, Roy had a short conversation with his Archon. I want to know the fan speculations you guys came up with after reading that. hadn't thought about it much, but off the top of my head... divine intervention, contacting someone who is dead and has information that would help them...

ThePhantasm
2010-11-27, 07:32 AM
I kinda forgot about that. Interesting. Strange that we've heard no more of this since then... I guess Roy could have been planning to tell the Order about it but he seems to hav forgotten much of what happened in Celestia (except his new sword move).

The strip, lazy linked: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html

Rakarth
2010-11-27, 09:10 AM
I kinda forgot about that. Interesting. Strange that we've heard no more of this since then... I guess Roy could have been planning to tell the Order about it but he seems to hav forgotten much of what happened in Celestia (except his new sword move).

Well, there was the strip (#572) where he seems to be happy he remembers what happened right before the Oracle banished him. Maybe he set it up so his Archon could relay that information to him somehow? Having said that, I can't imagine what he'd need to carry back from his encounters as a ghost.

Swordpriest
2010-11-27, 10:42 AM
That's extremely interesting. I'm curious now about what the archon was supposed to try.

So is the fact that Roy told his father to haunt him if Xykon leaves the city. Does the fact that his father hasn't haunted him mean that Xykon is still there, that his father can't haunt him any more, or the Rich forgot that detail?

I think he forgot the exchange, myself (I know that's going to get me flamed vigorously :smallsigh:, but as an author myself, I know it's all too easy to forget a detail or two in a large, complex story like this) because Xykon evidently went to Sunken Valley to see the Oracle, and Roy's father didn't show up to warn him. At that point, he had the Greenhilt sword, too, so he should have been hauntable.

Kish
2010-11-27, 10:53 AM
I suspect, rather, that Roy and Eugene both understood "if Xykon leaves the city" to mean "if Xykon actually mobilizes his forces, whatever forces he's taking with him, and leaves the city behind," not "notify me whenever Xykon's big toe-bone crosses the city perimeter."

Darth Hunterix
2010-11-27, 11:25 AM
Or simply after this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0292.html) little episode of Greenhilt less-seniorish* senior's afterlife he is simply grounded and they don't let him manifest freely any more.

*Greenhilt more-seniorish senior is Horace

Leecros
2010-11-27, 12:43 PM
Or simply after this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0292.html) little episode of Greenhilt less-seniorish* senior's afterlife he is simply grounded and they don't let him manifest freely any more.

That just suggests that he can't respond to any more summoning spells

it's hard to tell if that means he can't haunt Roy or not, but i would say that he probably still can.

Less-seniorish Greenhilt seemed pretty confident in 664 that he still can....

Darth Hunterix
2010-11-27, 01:41 PM
Perhaps he simply didn't try.

Anyway imagine that:
Deva: That was outrageous, young soul! You are grounded for 3 years and forget about your pocket whatever-is-used-as-money-in-afterlife! Now go to your cloud and don't leave it until I summon you!
Eugene: But Miss, I have to haunt my son, who is trying to save the world!
Deva: I don't want to hear any excuses! There is always a good explanation, but it won't change my mind! Do as I say!
Eugene: Eh... Yes, Miss. (whisper: That's not fair...)
Deva: I've heard that!

NerfTW
2010-11-27, 01:51 PM
Well, there was the strip (#572) where he seems to be happy he remembers what happened right before the Oracle banished him. Maybe he set it up so his Archon could relay that information to him somehow? Having said that, I can't imagine what he'd need to carry back from his encounters as a ghost.

He already remembers that information. He remembers everything that happened outside the gates, he simply can't remember anything from the mountain itself. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been talking to Haley about Belkar's killing of the Oracle.

Also, if that was what it was, it would have been mentioned. You don't just have a character say "I have no idea if it will work, but I know what I have to do." all mysterious like and then just let it drop. It's not something that's come up in the strip yet.

Leecros
2010-11-27, 03:04 PM
Anyway imagine that:
Deva: That was outrageous, young soul! You are grounded for 3 years and forget about your pocket whatever-is-used-as-money-in-afterlife! Now go to your cloud and don't leave it until I summon you!
Eugene: But Miss, I have to haunt my son, who is trying to save the world!
Deva: I don't want to hear any excuses! There is always a good explanation, but it won't change my mind! Do as I say!
Eugene: Eh... Yes, Miss. (whisper: That's not fair...)
Deva: I've heard that!

I'd imagine he'd try to get away with it anyways

he's not the most lawful person in the world

Darth Hunterix
2010-11-27, 04:15 PM
True. But letting everyone know what is he up to wouldn't help his cause. If he is grounded he should pretend that he obeys local authorities, if he wants to at least have a chance.
And even if he is still allowed to manifest he may not be able to give Roy anything more than some cryptic foreshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0015.html) and since he doesn't have much faith in his son's intellectual abilities he is still looking for a loophole to make some direct approach.

Jay R
2010-11-27, 05:38 PM
So is the fact that Roy told his father to haunt him if Xykon leaves the city. Does the fact that his father hasn't haunted him mean that Xykon is still there, that his father can't haunt him any more, or the Rich forgot that detail?

I think it's more likely to mean that Roy's father hasn't done what Roy asked him to do. Occam's razor says to choose the simplest explanation.

I think he forgot the exchange, myself (I know that's going to get me flamed vigorously :smallsigh:, ....

Naah, not flamed -- just disagreed with.

Felixc-91
2010-11-28, 01:48 AM
to Jay R
nah it would make sense for Roy's dad to haunt him if he could. he wants to get into the after life, get onto the mountain. it could be that Xykon just hasn't left yet (because they haven't found his phylactery)... or because Roy no longer has access to his sword...

Bedinsis
2010-11-28, 04:37 AM

*Greenhilt more-seniorish senior is Horace

"Listen, you occasionally manifest yourself to him, right? Next time you do, show him this report." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html)

Either the deva was misinformed or you guessed wrong.

Felixc-91
2010-11-28, 04:48 AM
i think this might be an example of xykon being cautious. he knows there's going to be serious defences around the gate, and wants to be sure his phylactery is intact before he risks engaging the gate defences. so he hasn't left the city yet. i mean, come on, you have hobgoblins looking for something, something that might have made it out to sea. the average hobgoblin warrior has 2 ranks in spot, and a negative wisdom modifier.

Kurald Galain
2010-11-28, 05:53 AM
Don't jinx it!! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnspokenPlanGuarantee)

Nevereatcars
2010-11-28, 01:33 PM
I was unaware that Xykon understood cautiousness. Doesn't his phylactery protect him from death? Why would you need to be cautious if you had that?

EDIT: Oh, wait...

NerfTW
2010-11-28, 03:05 PM
I think it's a bit more likely that Eugene simply doesn't consider Xykon going to the Oracle as "leaving Azure City". Xykon isn't going to head out until he has his phylactery. Eugene might have known the Oracle would refuse to help in this search, so he didn't consider it necessary to inform Roy of the side trip.

Swordpriest
2010-11-28, 04:28 PM
I think it's a bit more likely that Eugene simply doesn't consider Xykon going to the Oracle as "leaving Azure City". Xykon isn't going to head out until he has his phylactery. Eugene might have known the Oracle would refuse to help in this search, so he didn't consider it necessary to inform Roy of the side trip.

Yes, I suppose that could be it. Of course, now he couldn't haunt Roy if he wanted to, since the Greenhilt sword is no longer in Roy's possession.

Felixc-91
2010-11-29, 12:03 AM
Yes, I suppose that could be it. Of course, now he couldn't haunt Roy if he wanted to, since the Greenhilt sword is no longer in Roy's possession. do we know that, the event that Eugene said made it impossible to contact his son was the shattering of the sword. i mean he was carrying around the pieces of the sword for hundreds of strips, physical possession might not be necessary. Roy never actually attempted to contact his sister, so she might have been able to see him....