PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Knockback Question

Slipperychicken
2010-11-27, 09:49 AM
Hello Playgrounders! Came out of lurking for a quick question:

If someone had both the Knockback feat (races of stone 142) and the Brutal Surge property (magic item compendium 29) on a weapon...

a) would the attacker get two bull rush attempts from the same hit?

b) If so, how would you rule this? would the target's movement from the two bull rushes stack? (could get some distance out of that with directed bull rush from shock trooper...)

c) if one attempt succeeded and the other failed, what would happen?

Critical
2010-11-27, 09:52 AM
Hello Playgrounders! Came out of lurking for a quick question:

If someone had both the Knockback feat (races of stone 142) and the Brutal Surge property (magic item compendium 29) on a weapon...

a) would the attacker get two bull rush attempts from the same hit?

b) If so, how would you rule this? would the target's movement from the two bull rushes stack? (could get some distance out of that with directed bull rush from shock trooper...)

c) if one attempt succeeded and the other failed, what would happen?
a) Can't think of a rule preventing that.

b) I'd rule that it stacks, I don't see a reason why not.

c) Pushed back to the distance of the one that succeeded.

Keinnicht
2010-11-27, 11:34 AM
b) I'd rule that it stacks, I don't see a reason why not.

I'm not sure it would. When you think about it, if one attempt succeeded the thing you hit wouldn't be in striking range any more, making it pretty difficult for the magical property to kick in and knock him back.

Siosilvar
2010-11-27, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure it would. When you think about it, if one attempt succeeded the thing you hit wouldn't be in striking range any more, making it pretty difficult for the magical property to kick in and knock him back.

They both trigger at the same time, though.

And if you want to knock someone 50 feet across the room, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

FlyMolo
2010-11-27, 03:40 PM
I'm with Siosilvar. If you're going to build your character around being able to knock people across the room, go for it. It's not out of line with what moderate level PCs can do anyway.

Volos
2010-11-27, 06:27 PM
I have done this in a d20 anime-ish game with another ability that allowed the same. Bullrushed a dude through a building, then the weapon ability and feat took hold at the same time making for what was the most epic bullrush attempt ever. Plowed him through 120ft of building, then baseball cracked him across another 240ft of airspace into another building which fell ontop of him. Then we rolled for initiative.