PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Using an alternate mechanic...

Leeham
2010-11-27, 10:58 AM
... specifically, using d10 dicepools instead of the d20. Is this do-able?

Aron Times
2010-11-27, 12:23 PM
It's too much work to be an easy change. That's like changing the WoD system to the d20. It can be done, but it's not easy.

Loren
2010-11-27, 12:54 PM
2d10 instead of 1d20?
So long as both sides of a comflict use it I don't see how it would affect balance. It wouldhave an effect on how often skills succeed, but a DM should be able to adjust for it on the fly.

Urpriest
2010-11-27, 02:57 PM
2d10 instead of 1d20?
So long as both sides of a comflict use it I don't see how it would affect balance. It wouldhave an effect on how often skills succeed, but a DM should be able to adjust for it on the fly.

2d10 instead of 1d20 is reasonable, though crit builds could potentially have a field day without careful balancing. I think the OP is referring to a more WoD-like system, however.

LibraryOgre
2010-11-27, 03:41 PM
... specifically, using d10 dicepools instead of the d20. Is this do-able?

So, for example, if I had a +4 from Strength, a +5 from being trained in Athletics, and a -1 from wearing armor, I'd roll 8d10 and count anything X or higher (usually 8, I think) as a success?

It would be doable; the main issue I see would be combat... you'd either have people rolling buckets o' dice in counters, have to come up with a new system of determining success*, and you'd still have the same HP/Damage system, unless you similarly redo that, and then you're just playing another system in D&D drag.

(*An idea suggests itself to me: in opposed rolls, have the person with the highest pool roll the margin, only; if I have 13 dice and you have 15, you roll 2 dice, and I roll nothing. It saves on sheer number of dice, and statistically works out... though it can be a bit heartrending when you don't get to roll.)