PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's Favorite Guy [Build help, 3.5, houserules]

Kallisti
2010-11-27, 03:20 PM
So for a game right here on these lovely forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177337) I have decided that I want to play a party support character--the guy everyone in the party loves because he gives them so many wonderful toys. And I realized that I don't really have the mechanical expertise to reach the level of optimization that game is encouraging, especially as a party support character--I don't fill that role often, so my knowledge of the standard tricks is somewhat lacking.

The game is level 15 gestalt, 40 pb, fractional BAB/SAVES, with feats every level instead of every three and multiclassing penalties ignored. Dragon Magazine and homebrew are allowed on a case by case basis, and Onokan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8601455#post8601455) is explicitly allowed, and I'm gonna use it. I love Onokan, and with the generous houserules I think an Onokan support character would pack a lot of punch.

I need help designing this character. I know Bard is a standard for buffing, as well as splashes of Dragon Shaman and Marshal, but with a gestalt Onokan I'm pretty lost. I don't really know what to do with all those feats and all that money--200,000 for each half of the Onoka (yes, both halves get WBL, Lix said so and she's the one who homebrewed it). I want to have the strongest focus on buffing, but have some debuff, battlefield control, and out-of-combat utility. I need to have a fair amount of staying power--not in terms of being able to survive attacks, but in terms of being able to keep going for quite a while when we can't rest easily. So people with more mechanical know-how than I, I beg your assistance.

EDIT: OK, I think Bard//Dragon Shaman and Archivist//Wizard are my best choices. Still not sure what PrCs I want, but eh.

dextercorvia
2010-11-27, 04:25 PM
With that sort of craziness try a Silverbrow Human Archivist/Warweaver/Dweomerkeeper//Wizard/Incantrix/Archmage

Take Spontaneous Divination, Versatile Spellcaster, lots of metamagic (you get a ton for free from Incantrix) like quicken, reach, persist; Easy Metamagic and/or Practical Metamagic on +4 or higher metamagics. Arcane Thesis on a few select spells is good, too.

Warweaver will let you drop buffs on your whole party at once. Incantrix and Dweomerkeeper make your metamagic cost less (among other things). Archmage is exchangeable.

Kallisti
2010-11-27, 04:31 PM
With that sort of craziness try a Silverbrow Human Archivist/Warweaver/Dweomerkeeper//Wizard/Incantrix/Archmage

Take Spontaneous Divination, Versatile Spellcaster, lots of metamagic (you get a ton for free from Incantrix) like quicken, reach, persist; Easy Metamagic and/or Practical Metamagic on +4 or higher metamagics. Arcane Thesis on a few select spells is good, too.

Warweaver will let you drop buffs on your whole party at once. Incantrix and Dweomerkeeper make your metamagic cost less (among other things). Archmage is exchangeable.

Ban list includes both Dweomerkeeper and Incantatrix, but Warweaver sounds pretty sweet. Bear in mind that whatever race I choose is also the race for the other half of the Onoka. I think Silverbrow Human would mesh fine with Bard//Dragon Shaman, if Bard//Dragon Shaman is even a good choice.

Thank you. I'll need to look up Silverbrow...is that Races of the Dragon?

Rixx
2010-11-27, 04:56 PM
I am disappointed. I thought that this thread would be about building Gaston.

(Warrior 3.)

Kallisti
2010-11-27, 05:04 PM
I am disappointed. I thought that this thread would be about building Gaston.

(Warrior 3.)

...I hadn't decided what I wanted to do RP-wise yet. That is a very interesting thought...

term1nally s1ck
2010-11-27, 05:20 PM
War-Weaver.

Kallisti
2010-11-27, 05:35 PM
War-Weaver.

Definitely. Arcivist//Wizard/Warweaver looks...pretty strong. It's more the Bard//X half of the Onoka I'm worried about. I don't know what to gestalt the Bard to. Factotum? Some flavor of Psionicist? Dragon Shaman?

dextercorvia
2010-11-27, 10:57 PM
For the other half, I'd say something like:

Bard7/Mindbender1/SublimeChord2/Virtuoso10//Paladin2/Marshal1/Crusader17
(stubs, rearrange to suit)

For feats you'll want at the least: Dragontouched, Draconic Heritage(Battle), Dragonfire Inspiration,Song of the Heart, Words of Creation. Choose White Raven Maneuvers, the Motivate Dexterity Aura is a good choice. You can take extra auras as feats if any suit your tastes, but there aren't many I recommend.

gorfnab
2010-11-28, 12:21 AM
Crusader 5 / Hellreaver 5 / Binder 1 / Crusader 9 (with Extra Granted Maneuver) // Dragon Shaman 20 - great for buffing, tanking, and healing

Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 // Dragon Shaman 20- strong caster and strong buffer with some decent healing, go with Dragonfire Inspiration not only for OP reasons but for theme reasons as well.

Bard 6/ Lyric Thaumaturge 2/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 // Paladin 2/ Marshal 1/ Crusader 17 - tanking gish with minor healing, again go with Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of the White Raven and Clarion Commander will really make this build shine.

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 12:47 AM
Hmm, depending upon the campaign you might devote some feats to the Corpse crafting line and Requiem so that you can have undead minions buffed by your dragonfire inspiration. Not sure if one of them being a necropolitan would completely bork things up or not, but it'd allow you to get around the XP cost of animate dread warrior or the GP cost of maintaining skeletons (though crafting definitely helps for the purposes of arming an elite pair of them.)

dextercorvia
2010-11-28, 07:55 AM
Song of the White Raven can be less rewarding than you might think. Your first two swift actions are usually tied up casting Inspirational Boost, and using a Badge of Valor (immediate) -- so you really want your Music to be a standard action most of the time.

Snowflake Wardance is a free action to begin, and is awesome on a high Cha warrior. There is some kind of slipper (battledancing?) that stacks with this.

Kallisti
2010-11-28, 01:30 PM
I wonder...would Artificer be a good choice? I'm told 'bufficer' is one of the main Artificer builds...