PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Overcome SR

Galsiah
2010-11-27, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best ways are for a wizard to overcome SR. Specifically, SR on par with that of a Rakshasa. I know about Assay Spell Resistance, but I want to know if there are any better ways to go about it.

AslanCross
2010-11-27, 06:22 PM
Increasing your caster level (many ways to do that), and Assay Spell Resistance. That's pretty much all you need, as the check is really quite easy to make.

Runestar
2010-11-27, 06:32 PM
Arcane mastery to take 10 on caster lv checks. With enough caster lv boosts, you will never fail again.

Or simply use spells which ignore sr. The conjuration school is chock-full of them. :smallamused:

Kallisti
2010-11-27, 06:35 PM
I'd go with SR: No spells. If you can't, Assay Spell Resistance and True Casting. Plus possibly get a party beatstick a weapon with that enchantment that reduces SR a little with every hit. I forget what it's called, but with enough attacks per round it can really help.

JaronK
2010-11-27, 06:38 PM
Yeah, just ignoring SR completely works fine. Why mess around with feats and Assay resistance when you can just ignore the concept?

JaronK

Galsiah
2010-11-27, 06:41 PM
Yeah, just ignoring SR completely works fine. Why mess around with feats and Assay resistance when you can just ignore the concept?

JaronK

Because the creatures with SR in question are other PCs opposed to my group of PCs, and I don't want to kill em off, but use either dismissal or banishment, depending on when our inevitable confrontation is, to send them back to their own planes. This way the campaign won't end so quickly for them and I'll be able to really hate my PC for even better RP.

JaronK
2010-11-27, 08:35 PM
Glitterdust them first. Disable them with various spells to kill their SR. If they're PCs, they probably have class level based SR, so level drain them, then land what you need to land.

JaronK

HunterOfJello
2010-11-27, 08:38 PM
Factotum party member or Cohort!

Psyren
2010-11-27, 09:31 PM
High caster level is the best general way, because it carries so many other benefits. It can be costly at lower levels though.

Benejeseret
2010-11-27, 10:05 PM
Not a great wizard option, but for Cha based casters:

1 lvl dip to Marshal

Does not advance spellcasting, but minor aura Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance puts +Cha bonus. Adds it to nearby allies as well to increase the benefit collectively

With Charisma being the limit you can use Eagle's Splendor or items or whatever to boost Cha as you want to do anyway as a Cha caster to increase DC at the same time

EDIT: Better yet, convince another player to take that dip for you

Psyren
2010-11-27, 10:12 PM
There are also rules for "team casting" in Forge of War I believe - it allows several lower-level casters to cooperate and gain a bonus to overcome a tough foe's SR.