PDA

View Full Version : Fourth Level Druid AoE Spell [3.5]

backpackjack
2010-11-27, 09:43 PM
My DM does not let druids have the widest selection of spells. In this case, my druid has been given the limitation of selecting only 1 AoE spell at 4th level. I'm considering among: Arc Lightning, Blast of Stand, Boreal Wind, Murderous Mist, and Vortex of Teeth. Which of these should I take, and why? Or am I missing a spell I should be considering here?

Doggie_arf
2010-11-28, 12:46 AM
You mean 4th level spells, right?

Druids get Flame Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameStrike.htm) as a 4th level spell, one level earlier than other divine casters, IIRC.

tyckspoon
2010-11-28, 01:04 AM
Flame Strike if you want a damage spell (it caps out higher so it scales better, it's half unresistable, and the smaller radius makes it easier to use in the middle of a fight so it can more precisely strike down your enemies), Murderous Mist if you want a controlling spell- it's a pretty huge area effect, so you can take a shot at blinding giant mobs of enemies if you can convince your partymates to let you cast it before they rush in. Boreal Wind gets an honorable mention for the duration and having a completely silly area of effect- effectively a 20-foot wide line up to Long distance.

ShriekingDrake
2010-11-28, 10:48 AM
I would go for either Murderous Mist or Boreal Wind. Murderous mist can incapacitate lots of mooks and the occasional BBEG, it's got a nice area of effect, and it isn't typed. Boreal Wind, has a huge range and area of effect, and can serve out damage as well as utility. Either choice is good. I think if you'll be in dungeons, go for the former and if in the wilderness, go for the latter.

Escheton
2010-11-28, 11:27 AM
Vortex. It kills ethereals. And you know...everything else.

backpackjack
2010-11-28, 06:58 PM
Good point about Vortex. A smaller area, but it can deal with hard to hit foes. Is it stationary, or will it move with you?

ShriekingDrake
2010-12-27, 10:10 PM
I believe that it moves with you.

Edit: I was mistaken. There is nothing to suggest that Vortex of Teeth moves at all or that you can direct it after casting the spell. Sorry for the misinformation.

backpackjack
2011-01-09, 10:52 PM
Thanks; that helps.

isotunknown
2011-02-05, 08:00 PM
I don't know if this would be the best choice, but I do use Flame Strike a lot as a druid. I know there are other solid fourth level spells, but I just don't think you can go wrong with Flame Strike--especially if you use energy substitution.