PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Grab

Morth
2010-11-27, 09:59 PM
Is there a way to make a Warforged's Fist able to be launched and reel someone back in, Scorpion-style?

jguy
2010-11-27, 10:02 PM
What my group has done. A warforged character is proficient in that 1handed reach weapon, whip-sword I think it is called. Instead of using the weapon, we themed that his hands could shoot out to ten feet to attack. I've allowed this to initiate a grapple too.

Kyouhen
2010-11-27, 10:47 PM
If your DM let you you could use it as a thrown weapon and have it enchanted with Returning.

Keld Denar
2010-11-27, 10:49 PM
Some form of Improved Grab would help. You could probably do it with Scorpion's Grasp. You'd need Bloodstorm Blade though, since you'd have to be able to treat the attacks as melee instead of ranged, and BSB is the only class that can do that.

Flickerdart
2010-11-27, 10:54 PM
There's a feat in Savage Species called Detach, available to creatures with Regeneration that allows you to rip off your arm, throw it at someone and then grow it back. It functions as a throwing weapon, but:
"Special attacks that deal damage, such as poison and acid, take effect normally from the thrown member."
Thus, if you have an ability that grapples and deals damage simultaneously on your fist? Presto.

FMArthur
2010-11-27, 11:25 PM
A Soulknife who has taken the feat Reshape Mind Blade (Unarmed Strike) is able to throw his 'mind fists' at people. If you get Improved Grab somehow or use Scorpion's Grasp, you can grapple people this way. But technically the way the Grapple rules are worded, grappling from afar actually moves you to their space and not the other way around. Which really sounds just as cool to me. I think I'm going to make a Tashalatora Soulknife now that I know this. :smallbiggrin:

WinWin
2010-11-27, 11:29 PM
Need a method of gaining Improved Grab on a Slam. The utilise the Bloodwind spell (SpC). 25 feet + 5 per level or something like that.

Akal Saris
2010-11-27, 11:32 PM
Blitzcrank!!

Flickerdart
2010-11-27, 11:34 PM
A Soulknife who has taken the feat Reshape Mind Blade (Unarmed Strike) is able to throw his 'mind fists' at people. If you get Improved Grab somehow or use Scorpion's Grasp, you can grapple people this way. But technically the way the Grapple rules are worded, grappling from afar actually moves you to their space and not the other way around. Which really sounds just as cool to me. I think I'm going to make a Tashalatora Soulknife now that I know this. :smallbiggrin:
Nope. A thrown mind blade is a ranged weapon, and doesn't allow you to make a grapple check.

Keld Denar
2010-11-27, 11:38 PM
Yea, like I said, Bloodstorm Blade is about the only way to make melee attacks at range. The other way is Whirling Blade.

Wait a second...isn't the a Warforged component that is a sword? If you could pick up Improved Grab on a Warforged (Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian?), you could totally Whirling Blade with that weapon and start a grapple with it.

The neat thing about Improved Grab over normal grappling is normal grappling moves you into THEIR square, while Improved Grab pulls them into YOUR square.

GET OVER HERE!

FMArthur
2010-11-28, 12:31 AM
Nope. A thrown mind blade is a ranged weapon, and doesn't allow you to make a grapple check.

I didn't read Improved Grab for this because it's the inferior option, but read Scorpion's Grasp. It specifies an unarmed strike or a melee weapon. Totally legal despite falling through several layers of ridiculous RAW that should have restricted it but does not.

Morth
2010-11-28, 12:32 AM
Blitzcrank!!

YAY! Someone got it.