PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New Character help

malachi
2010-11-27, 10:11 PM
I'm a new player to DnD (played BGII some), and joined in a game as a lvl 6 Gnome Illusionist.
The first encounter was 13 wraiths, where I was trapped between them and a sarcophagus. The DM never rolled below a 4 on Con damage.
Needless to say, I died.
Then the other people gained 3 levels (they all had only 1 or 2 Con left).

The current party is composed of:
Desert Elf Warlock (all his invocations are support, like flying, darkvision/see invisibility, and perfect UMD or something)
Goliath Barbarian
Changeling Rogue

So now, I'm making my next character, but have already rolled for stats (14 14 13 12 10). I can move 2 points around as I want, and am starting a lvl 9 character.
I'd like to play a Duskblade, but I'm iffy about the stats. The character would be as follows:
Goliath (or human, with logical stat readjustment) Duskblade 9
Str 20
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 8

feats
knowledge devotion - gives me an average of +2 against everything
arcane disciple (healing) - not so sure about this after I realized I only get the spell once a day (would I be able to use healing wands/scrolls?)
power attack
arcane strike

I'll probably be wielding a changeling longspear (swift action to change between reach and not-reach), and who knows what for the rest of my equipment.

Any recommendations on my character?

Edit: Oh, and no Dragon Magazine or Psionics stuff, I'm pretty sure.

true_shinken
2010-11-27, 10:29 PM
Well, your DM ignored two important rules.
1. Level apropriate challenges. 13 wraiths? That's an EL of 12.
2. You can't get more than one level at a time.

Anyways, enough ranting.
Arcane Disciple on a Duskblade is not so sucky. You need to waste your known spells on them, but you'll get more than you need, most likely. Healing is not the best option, though. Look for domains with long term buffs.
Knowledge Devotion is a solid choice. I aprove.
Power Attack and Arcane Strike are the bread and butter of duskblading.

Race choice... is kinda meh. Duskblade gains a lot less from Goliaht than most melee classes. Unless your concept depends on this race, I'd check other options. Illumians and humans are popular, dwarves are good as well. I'd just stay away from stuff with LA.

Orzel
2010-11-27, 10:46 PM
13 whats? Wraiths? Crap.

Duskblade, KD, Arcane Strike, Power Attack. Good. arcane disciple (healing), eh. 'S okay but if you have no divine.

But I'd also try something other than Goliath. I'd go human. Many go Illumain since it's hard to get Str and Int without LA. Unless ya just wanna go smashy smashy. But you have a barbarian in party already.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-27, 10:51 PM
First off, I'd read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0). I'd also like to second the recommendation of Human or Illumian. I prefer Human for the bonus feat and skill points, but that's just me.

The standard Duskblade build seems to be "Burn spells on Arcane Strike and Power Attack for as much as I can get away with", so you will want a two handed weapon (note that you can get around the "You need a hand free to cast" either by making the case that removing your hand is a free action (which it is) and therefore you're fine or by taking the feat Somatic Weaponry (which is the more sure fire way to do so)). If you've got a feat to spare, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain is your friend (especially if your party Arcanist will cast Enlarge Person on you first).

malachi
2010-11-27, 10:52 PM
Well, your DM ignored two important rules.
1. Level apropriate challenges. 13 wraiths? That's an EL of 12.
2. You can't get more than one level at a time.

There were only 3 or 4 wraiths at a time, but the DM ignored another important rule that made them much more reasonable (they didn't have 50% miss chance if we had magic weapons. Or maybe we were just really lucky and only missed with a grand total of 1 attack the entire battle).

I actually was looking at Illumians a little bit. If I take the sigil combination that gives me extra spells based on strength and have str 20 and int 12, would I be able to cast lvl 3, 4, and 5 spells?

I'll look into other domains (at a cursory glance, Transformation gives Alter Self and Polymorph, which people claim are overpowered. I don't know what choices make it so, though).

First off, I'd read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0). I'd also like to second the recommendation of Human or Illumian. I prefer Human for the bonus feat and skill points, but that's just me.

The standard Duskblade build seems to be "Burn spells on Arcane Strike and Power Attack for as much as I can get away with", so you will want a two handed weapon (note that you can get around the "You need a hand free to cast" either by making the case that removing your hand is a free action (which it is) and therefore you're fine or by taking the feat Somatic Weaponry (which is the more sure fire way to do so)). If you've got a feat to spare, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain is your friend (especially if your party Arcanist will cast Enlarge Person on you first).

I was considering a longspear or guisarme (both reach weapons) as they don't require feats. What's the benefit of a chain?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-27, 10:53 PM
You wouldn't be able to cast spells of higher than 2nd level, if I read it right. You'd have bonus spells, but not the ability to cast them.

Greenish
2010-11-27, 11:09 PM
I was considering a longspear or guisarme (both reach weapons) as they don't require feats. What's the benefit of a chain?Trips, can attack adjacent.