PDA

View Full Version : a magic armour question

big teej
2010-11-27, 11:49 PM
on the random treasure table my player just got "roll again twice" and got cold resistance and lightning resistance

for a grand total of + 6 full plate

does the +6 enhancement apply to AC?

I don't think it does, but I'm aware I could be completely wrong

I was under the impression that the +s for armour are only for price purposes

Siosilvar
2010-11-27, 11:59 PM
on the random treasure table my player just got "roll again twice" and got cold resistance and lightning resistance

for a grand total of + 6 full plate

does the +6 enhancement apply to AC?

I don't think it does, but I'm aware I could be completely wrong

I was under the impression that the +s for armour are only for price purposes

1) Cold Resistance and Electricity Resistance don't even have "+" prices.

2) You are correct, the "+" under special abilities is only for determining price.

3) Armor must have at least a "vanilla" +1 before having any special abilities.

4) Why is the player rolling random treasure?

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 12:01 AM
Huh? The energy resistances have a flat price (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#coldResistance) and don't count towards the +X equivalent bonus that the armor would have.

Also, +6 armor enhancement is within the purview of epic items, so... I think you're confusing something like a +1 or +2 cold resistance, electricity resistance breastplate with a +6 equivalent bonus (which mostly matters only for further enchanting of the armor) with a +6 cold resistance, electricity resistance breastplate.

big teej
2010-11-28, 12:11 AM
1) Cold Resistance and Electricity Resistance don't even have "+" prices.

2) You are correct, the "+" under special abilities is only for determining price.

3) Armor must have at least a "vanilla" +1 before having any special abilities.

4) Why is the player rolling random treasure?

1) I meant the + listed for determining price

2) thankyou much

3) it was a random treasure roll, the vanilla + was assumed

4) he wasn't, I rolled it, I just meant that the player got it. my bad for not being clear

Also, +6 armor enhancement is within the purview of epic items, so... I think you're confusing something like a +1 or +2 cold resistance, electricity resistance breastplate with a +6 equivalent bonus (which mostly matters only for further enchanting of the armor) with a +6 cold resistance, electricity resistance breastplate.

DMG page 180 table 8-6 armour special abilities

cold resistance + 3 bonus

:smallconfused:

I was merely double checking that this +3 was only for price

true_shinken
2010-11-28, 12:30 AM
1)

Are you playing 3.0? In 3.5, cold resistance is a flat +18k

tyckspoon
2010-11-28, 12:36 AM

It would be, if it was a +-equivalent enhancement. Every source I can find gives the cost of the energy resistance enhancements as a flat rate, +18,000 gp.. they also do not contain a Table 8-6; Chapter 7 is magic equipment, 7-5 is Armor Qualities, and 7-6 is Shield Qualities.

faceroll
2010-11-28, 12:38 AM
Magic armor, pre-epic, can have up to a +5 armor bonus and no more than +10 worth of bonuses on it, overall. Many enchantments were changed from being +bonus to simply a flat gold price in the 3.0 to 3.5 transition. I recommend you use 3.5 rules, as it makes some enchantments (more) worthwhile.

Sounds like you are using a 3.0 DMG. Does adamantine let your weapons count as +1 weapons in an AMF?

big teej
2010-11-28, 01:26 AM
I'll have to check if I have a 3.0 or 3.5 DMG I assumed I had a 3.5 but I may be mistaken.

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 01:40 AM

It would be, but cold resistance and electricity resistance are now a flat price for the armor and so they only effect the market price of the armor. So it was either something that changed from 3.0 to 3.5 or was stealth-errata'd.

Something with a +3 equivalent bonus both effects the price of the armor at market and the price to further enhance the armor.

So, basically, call a mulligan on that particular piece of equipment or let it slide with whatever you work it out to be. The SRD link I sent you should be more than enough help there though, just gotta scroll up to the more relevant passages.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-28, 04:41 AM
Just to clarify, I checked my bookshelf and the OP is indeed using a 3.0 DMG.

Escheton
2010-11-28, 09:08 AM
in an otherwise 3.5 campaign?
If so, quick, someone get that man an update, your loot might be in peril.

big teej
2010-11-29, 10:19 AM
in an otherwise 3.5 campaign?
If so, quick, someone get that man an update, your loot might be in peril.

oh sunova..... -bad words-

its been working fine so far....:smallfrown::smallsigh::smalltongue::smalla nnoyed::smalleek: