PDA

View Full Version : Revenge - who would you take along with you?

true_shinken
2010-11-28, 12:57 AM
Hello, playground.
As some of you might remember, there is a tiefling truenamer antagonist in my game. She was part of an alite group that was after the player characters, but the players managed to scry on them an attack. After the long battle, only the truenamer escaped alive and the players had no resources left to chase her.
A few months in game time have passed, and I decided this wickedly intelligent (Int 26) character has made plans to take on the players again (she basically wants revenge because they killed her lover - what was once a job is now personal).
After running away, she gathered the soldier she still had (6 phrenic feral elves with 4 levels in Warrior; I'll call them antielves from now on) and basically took over the underworld of a medium sized city nearby. Now with this resources, she wants to get her revenge.
The players have a castle in a major city - a city that was recently almost devasted but is still protected by a mythal-like effect that blocks all divination and conjuration effects from going in. Recently, one of the players left the city to take an NPC to a distant island on her flying ship.

OK, great wall of text, I know. ^^ I just wanted to know, which kind of companion/underling should this truenamer look out for? I'm already set on Cyan, an azurin Cleric/Incandescent Champion focused on dispelling and I know her right hand man is a kiloren Marshall/Dread Commando. What kind of underling would such an intelligent opponent look for? I'm looking for mostly levels 10-13 here.

Oh, the party consists of: aasimar Paladin 4/Swordsage 9/Shiba Protector 1 with heavy wisdom focus, human Artificer 11/Sohei 1/Samurai 1, (houseruled; basically gains Dragontouched as a bonus feat) elf Warlock 7/Cyran Avenger 5, half-elf Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 4/Scarlet Corsair 4, human Lurk 5/Chameleon 7 and half-giant Psychic Warrior 5/Elocator 6. The elocator is the only one she knows nothing about.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-28, 03:19 AM
:( You already have a dispelling character! I would have suggested Spellthief/spellwarp sniper or a Noctumancer since they both fit the "city underworld" motif, but noooooo.

Have you considered a neutral Sorcerer/Malconvoker? She could be used as an ongoing fight by having her summon a pair of monsters and then teleport away, rinsing and repeating till the final fight where she summons each round until she becomes convinced she is going to lose. Being neutral she then runs rather the get herself killed. You could also use this tactic with a druid if you don't like Malconvoker.

arguskos
2010-11-28, 03:25 AM
:( You already have a dispelling character! I would have suggested Spellthief/spellwarp sniper or a Noctumancer since they both fit the "city underworld" motif, but noooooo.
Actually, I quite like the Noctumancer suggestion. Perhaps a Sorc 1/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10/MT X?

Alternatively, what about a Binder, probably straight, or perhaps an Anima Mage? Binders make terrifying opponents if you can't pin down what they're capable of.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-28, 03:51 AM
Actually, I quite like the Noctumancer suggestion. Perhaps a Sorc 1/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10/MT X?

Alternatively, what about a Binder, probably straight, or perhaps an Anima Mage? Binders make terrifying opponents if you can't pin down what they're capable of.

I agree, since with a level 13 baddie you would have 1/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10 and have all of the class features. Why Sorc though?

Anima Mage would be great too; casting plus OP bindings FTW.

true_shinken
2010-11-28, 08:34 AM
I really like the idea of a Binder. I'll probably use Binder/Wu Jen/Anima Mage.
I also like the idea of a Shadowcaster but I'm not really used to them. Maybe I'll use it anyway; the stranger they are, the more my players will get the feelings of a 'ragtag bunch of misfits'.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-28, 03:00 PM
Shadowcasters are awesome, especially for their warpspell mystery. It essentially vacuums an enemy spell when they cast it.