PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Two-weapon fighting gish.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-28, 01:01 AM
I was browsing over the feat section of Complete Warrior, and read this little titbit of information concerning the Arcane Strike feat.

... you must sacrifice one of your spells for the day (1st level or higher) to do this, but you gain a bonus on your attack rolls for all your attacks for 1 round equal to the spell level sacrificed, as well a s extra damage equal to 1d4 x spell level....

Now this is great for TWF as it is said that they need extra damage sources to stay viable in the damage dealing department, now this not only fixes the damage thing; but also increases accuracy (another department in which TWF lack behind THF).

Having said this, what do you think would be the best way to make a two-weapon fighting gish. , I would have to "burn" a feat on somatic weaponry, but the mental image is awesome, which increases the feat tax on what will most likely be a feat starved build ( at least there is heroics to alleviate the problem a bit)

I would Start with a Ranger 2/Wizard 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Edlritch Knight 9 (or whatever preferably with 9/10 casting at least, else I loose 9th level spells.

So, what do you think about this crazy idea?

Keld Denar
2010-11-28, 01:16 AM
If you build on a Sorcadin chassis, you could also throw in Divine Might to the mix to get Cha to damage on top of Arcane Strike.

Also, look at ways to get extra secondary natural attacks for more attacks per round. Just make sure that they natural attacks you gain don't interfere with your manufactured weapon attacks.

Can you duel wield Thunderlances? Mwa ha ha ha ha!

EDIT: Have you considered splashing ToB for a Jade Phoenix Mage gish? That way you can get manevuers and things like Shadow Blade for more Dex synergy.

Andion Isurand
2010-11-28, 01:26 AM
Although it only has 6/10 casting (6/9 for first nine levels) I would take a look at the Swiftblade PrC on the WotC site.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

You could also make use of the martial wizard variant from UA where you can select fighter bonus feats instead of your normal bonus feats, including Scribe Scroll.

Thespianus
2010-11-28, 03:06 AM
The "Arcane Strike" feat description also says:
"When you activate this feat (a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity), you can channel arcane energy into a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or natural weapons."
(...)
Until his next turn, Yarren gains an extra +4 bonus on his attack
rolls and an extra 4d4 points of damage with a single melee
weapon of his choice (his rapier).

I'm currently playing a TWF Rougish character that would benefit from Arcane Strike, but the part about "a single melee weapon" has prevented me from taking Arcane Strike.

As always, ask your DM, but RAW seems confused. ;)

As for build advice, I don't have much wisdom to offer, apart from that I just love me some Unseen Seer in a TWF gish. Hunter's Eye really goes a long way to make a difference for a TWF character. But here goes:

If you're willing to sacrifice the Ranger levels, look into going something like this (you might have to juggle things around to get the prereqs right):
Spellthief 1/Full BAB class 1/Wizard N/Unseen Seer 2/Abjurant Champ 5/Eldritch Knight X

Spellthief will get you Sneak Attack and skills,
The full BAB class will get you the weapon proficiencies you need later on,
Unseen Seer 2 will give you Hunter's Eye, more Sneak Attack and spells.

You'll end up with 17th level casting, ok BAB (for a gish), spell stealing and plenty of sneak attacks.

Feat starved? Hells yes. You'd want Master Spellthief, the TWF-chain, Extend and Persistent spell, and all the other goodies that make a gish good.

Fizban
2010-11-28, 03:14 AM
Thespianus beat me to it. However, note that a Quarterstaff is indeed a single melee weapon. A single weapon that you can also make offhand attacks with.

arguskos
2010-11-28, 03:16 AM
The "Arcane Strike" feat description also says:

I'm currently playing a TWF Rougish character that would benefit from Arcane Strike, but the part about "a single melee weapon" has prevented me from taking Arcane Strike.

As always, ask your DM, but RAW seems confused. ;)
That second bit? Part of an example in the text of the feat, and not what the feat actually does. Now, if the feat actually read "a single melee weapon" the ambiguity would be cleared up. It's arguable for the OP's theory.

Also, OP, perhaps take a look at Daggerspell Stance (spell in SpC) at low levels. Additionally, take a look at doing a Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Ranger until around level 10, then maybe hit up Swiftblade. It's a gish in a can! :smallbiggrin:

Thespianus
2010-11-28, 03:23 AM
That second bit? Part of an example in the text of the feat, and not what the feat actually does. Now, if the feat actually read "a single melee weapon" the ambiguity would be cleared up. It's arguable for the OP's theory.
Yeah, it's possible to argue both ways, which is why I said that RAW was confused, and not that the OPs idea was violating RAW. :)

As a DM, I would allow the feat to give bonuses to all attacks in a round. After all, a Wizard attacking things with weapons is almost always sub-par anyway.

arguskos
2010-11-28, 03:40 AM
Yeah, it's possible to argue both ways, which is why I said that RAW was confused, and not that the OPs idea was violating RAW. :)

As a DM, I would allow the feat to give bonuses to all attacks in a round. After all, a Wizard attacking things with weapons is almost always sub-par anyway.
You know, if you toss enough spells on there, Wizard meleer's become disturbingly viable. Critical Strike, Wraithstrike, True Strike (lots of strikes), Blade of Blood, Animalistic Power, Fist of Stone, there's a lot of low level buffs for melee combat that I always like doing with Wizards at level 1-3.

Aust Nailo
2010-11-28, 03:48 AM
I have been thinking about this build myself a bit recently, and I am thinking Duskblade. It would be a long haul kind of build (level 12-15 before it really gets going), but take the Somatic Weaponry and the TWF tree feats as well as the typical Duskblade feats (Knowledge Devotion, Arcane Strike, etc.) and after level 13 you will be TWF full attacking along with Arcane Channeling something like Shocking Grasp.

And as far as the Arcane Strike single weapon problem, the Duskblade has enough spells per day for you to burn 2 spells more than a few times and still have some to spare.:smallbiggrin:

Thespianus
2010-11-28, 03:59 AM
You know, if you toss enough spells on there, Wizard meleer's become disturbingly viable. Critical Strike, Wraithstrike, True Strike (lots of strikes), Blade of Blood, Animalistic Power, Fist of Stone, there's a lot of low level buffs for melee combat that I always like doing with Wizards at level 1-3.
Well, yeah, and with the Conjuror's "Abrupt Jaunt" ACF (to help with flanking) and Hunter's Eye from Unseen Seer, the damage potential definitely goes up aplenty, especially for a TWF-Wizard.

At mid-levels, I suppose the direct damage can be fun to whip out and break the ice at parties, but at the end of the day, it's not the direct damage from a Wizard that will win the battle.

(Now, if you play a Roguish character, taking the trapfinder/glasscannon role in the party, it's a different story. If you already have a primary arcane caster, you can have a lot of fun dealing melee damage with a gish)

BTW, I just tried and it's not easy making a good TWF Arcane Strike Wizard gish as the OP requested while trying to up the Sneak Attack damage as well.
What I had on paper before giving up was:
Spellthief 3/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6

and you do NOT want to know what kind of lousy Reflex and Fortitude save that guy had at level 11, but it does give 16th level casting, BAB of 17 and +8D6 of Sneak Attack at level 20 (with Hunter's Eye.)

true_shinken
2010-11-28, 09:12 AM

Just use a double weapon. You won't even need Somatic Weaponry anymore.

Greenish
2010-11-28, 09:37 AM
You know, if you toss enough spells on there, Wizard meleer's become disturbingly viable. Critical Strike, Wraithstrike, True Strike (lots of strikes), Blade of Blood, Animalistic Power, Fist of Stone, there's a lot of low level buffs for melee combat that I always like doing with Wizards at level 1-3.Dolorous Blow. :smallcool:

WinceRind
2010-11-28, 01:50 PM
There are 2 PrCs that might interest you from Complete Arcane.

Daggerspell Shaper and Daggerspell Wizard (or something like that.)

The latter will be of more interest to you, I think.

I know this might not seem as a "true" gish like Duskblade because the wizard/sorcerer BAB for the first few levels will limits you somewhat... but basically, you'll be able to cast spells with 2 daggers in both hands and have a variety of perks to it. I think at some point you'll even be able to cast spells with full attack. And you even get a few dies of sneak attack damage!

So, yeah. You might like that.

true_shinken
2010-11-28, 01:57 PM
There are 2 PrCs that might interest you from Complete Arcane.

Daggerspell Shaper and Daggerspell Wizard (or something like that.)

I love Daggerspell Mage, but it's somewhat lackluster, unfortunatelly. 3/4 BAB really kills it.

Amphetryon
2010-11-28, 02:09 PM
If it's available, consider Impure Prince for access to (multiple) symbionts to increase your natural attacks. Another option would be squeezing in enough Incarnum feats to bind Girallon Arms, or using the spells Girallon's Blessing and Fearsome Grapple to emulate those arms/tentacles.

Greenish
2010-11-28, 05:18 PM
Another option would be squeezing in enough Incarnum feats to bind Girallon ArmsOnly way to gain natural attacks from Girallon Arms is to bind it to your totem chakra, which can't be opened with feats.

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-28, 06:29 PM
A two level dip into totemist will do it though. Depends on how much you want those extra attacks. There are other nice binds as well. Could be worth it in some builds.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-28, 08:48 PM
Sorry for responding so late, posted the thread yesterday before going to sleep and I just got home.

Also I came with this build, please let me know what you think (I made this without access to my books, so please correct me if something is wrong)

Human

1 Ranger Combat Casting H Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Twin Daos)*
2 Ranger TWF (Ranger)
3 Martial Wizard No idea... Improved initiative perhaps?
4 Martial Wizard
5 Martial Wizard
6 Martial Wizard Arcane Strike
7 Spellsword Iron Will (Otyugh Hole)
8 Abjurant Champion
9 Abjurant Champion Somatic Weaponry
10 Abjurant Champion
11 Abjurant Champion
12 Abjurant Champion Minor Shapeshifr
No idea past this point

*Twin Daos

Twin Dao and Dao

One-Handed Martial (dao) or Exotic Melee Weapon (twin dao)
Damage: 1d8
Critical: 18-20/x2
Range Increment: -
Type: Slashing
Weight: 4 lbs
Cost: 10 gp (dao) OR 400 gp (twin dao)

Special
The twin dao is both a single weapon and a set of two weapons. Both are masterwork, and fit into the same scabbard as though they were a single sword. Twin dao must be used as a set; attempting to use a single twin dao as a normal dao gives a -4 penalty to attack rolls due to the strange balance the swords have. A twin dao may, however, be used as a single sword when held together. All feats that apply to normal dao (such as Weapon Focus) also apply to twin dao, whether used as a single sword or when used as a set.

When used as a pair, one in each hand, however, the twin dao show their true colours. They are perfectly balanced for wielding in two hands; while they are one-handed weapons, they can be used as if they were light for the purposes of two-weapon fighting, but only when paired together. Additionally, the wielder may add their full strength bonus to damage to both dao as if wielding them in their primary hand.

Fizban
2010-11-29, 12:02 AM
Dolorous Blow. :smallcool:

You sir, are a man of fine taste and impeccable character :smallcool:

T.G. Oskar
2010-11-29, 12:35 AM
Well, if you want, you can go Lightning Warrior. It luckily has TWF, full BAB and 9th level spells, but you'd lose a lot of power because you can't specialize and you lose your familiar, which are big boosts to power, even more than TWF and 9th level spells... Derpderpderp; I bet some of you guys thought of this.

Now, stopping the joke:

Seeing Ranger makes me think of Sword of the Arcane Order, and a few more levels in the class (at least to get Swift Haste and Hunter's Eye. However, Arcane Strike needs arcane spell slots, so you might want to get at least one (or both) spells in wands. If using the Swiftblade to progress your levels, Swift Haste counts as Haste for purposes of getting the abilities (but not to qualify, so you can get the 3rd level ability a bit earlier). SotAO also helps you to get a higher caster level for Wizard spells, and you can get Mystic Ranger, if allowed, to stack with SotAO, Wizard spellcasting and Arcane Strike for several degrees of powerups.

Sorcadin is usually a good build, but not a very good build for TWF since you'd need several bonus feats. You can get the same with...CW Samurai, though that's never recommended (you might get 3 levels for Kiai Smite and add your Cha to attack and damage rolls for 1 attack, but that doesn't save the bad dip and you might not get to have Extra Smite work for you). You'd also be limited to katana and wakizashi (but you'd be capable of getting Gloves of the Balanced Hand and get normal TWF with all other weapons and ITWF with katana/wakizashi), so it's not the best build; still, if you intend to get a free way for TWF...

There's also leap-frogging Warblade to get the Pouncing Charge strike, Dancing/Raging Mongoose boosts and Blood in the Water stance which further helps, or Iron Heart maneuvers for Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior. In that case, you could enter as a Wizard, wear no armor, get the abilities of the first three levels of Warblade and try to get the remaining 17 levels to raise spellcasting. You'd still lack a few feats, but it's a nice Int synergy build, and if you go Abjurer you'll have a much better Abjurant Champion synergy (and probably Luminous Armor and Greater Luminous Armor from Book of Exalted Deeds, which means you'll get huge armor bonuses).

Aside from that...well, it's your choice.

Coidzor
2010-11-29, 02:42 AM
Sorry for responding so late, posted the thread yesterday before going to sleep and I just got home.

Also I came with this build, please let me know what you think (I made this without access to my books, so please correct me if something is wrong)

Human

2 Ranger TWF (Ranger)
4 Martial Wizard
5 Martial Wizard
7 Spellsword Iron Will (Otyugh Hole)
8 Abjurant Champion
9 Abjurant Champion Somatic Weaponry
10 Abjurant Champion
11 Abjurant Champion
12 Abjurant Champion Minor Shapeshifr
No idea past this point

*Twin Daos

If you're spending a feat on exotic weapon proficiency anyway... Consider going instead for Eilservs School (from Drow of the Underdark) by spending the martial wizard 1 feat on weapon focus or TWF and the human feat on the other of the pair, thus saving you a level of ranger if you still want to grab FE arcanists. For Martial Wizard 1 you're missing the fighter bonus feat it gets or forgetting the 3rd level feat.

Is best, for this, if the DM okays recharging staves, so that you can get a nice one and also enchant it as a weapon. Which would also save you on having to spend a feat on somatic weaponry, allowing you to trade away your familiar for something and get one back via obtain familiar + improved familiar linked to the entirety of your spellcasting classes rather than just the wizard base class.

true_shinken
2010-11-29, 06:59 AM
Well, if you want, you can go Lightning Warrior. It luckily has TWF, full BAB and 9th level spells, but you'd lose a lot of power because you can't specialize and you lose your familiar, which are big boosts to power, even more than TWF and 9th level spells...

Don't do this. Though the flavour is amazing, you'd be sacrificing too much power.

Thespianus
2010-11-29, 10:46 AM

Human

2 Ranger TWF (Ranger)
4 Martial Wizard
5 Martial Wizard

As has already been mentioned, you missed a feat on level 3 here. I'd suggest Practiced Spellcaster.

But, also, if I may:

Go Ranger 1/Martial Wizard 5 here instead of 2/4. It will cost you one point of BAB, but it will give you one wizard caster level more, and that is always awesomer ;) At level 5 as a Martial Wizard, you get another Fighter Feat, and you'll probably want Improved TWF at some point?

But , ah, I see it now, you get Arcane Strike at level 6 with your setup, otherwise you have to wait until level 9. Got it.

EDIT: If you go with my suggestion, maybe go Barbarian 1/Martial Wizard 5? With the Barbarian, you can get Pounce, and that is yummie for a TWF-er

gbprime
2010-11-29, 11:03 AM
If you're spending a feat on exotic weapon proficiency anyway... Consider going instead for Eilservs School (from Drow of the Underdark) by spending the martial wizard 1 feat on weapon focus or TWF and the human feat on the other of the pair, thus saving you a level of ranger if you still want to grab FE arcanists. For Martial Wizard 1 you're missing the fighter bonus feat it gets or forgetting the 3rd level feat.

Is best, for this, if the DM okays recharging staves, so that you can get a nice one and also enchant it as a weapon. Which would also save you on having to spend a feat on somatic weaponry, allowing you to trade away your familiar for something and get one back via obtain familiar + improved familiar linked to the entirety of your spellcasting classes rather than just the wizard base class.

This. Eilserv School is a great way to TWF with a magic staff, as it procs a spell out of the staff pretty much each round as a free action. Womp on your opponent all round, and zap them with a you-can't-do-anything spell as a bonus!

But yeah, someone with Craft Staff is an important consideration so you can add charges to your staff of choice.

Tael
2010-11-29, 11:09 AM
Nah, if you really want to abuse this feat, you don't use TWF, you Polymorph into a Hydra and attack with 12 Arcane Strike'd heads. :smallwink:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-29, 11:16 AM
It may be a bit too weak for your tastes, but lightning warrior (http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Lightning_Warrior) was made for two weapon gish-ing. :P

Thespianus
2010-11-29, 11:19 AM
Can we stop the Lightning Warrior jokes now? :)

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-29, 11:24 AM

*scrolls up, notices somebody else already made the joke* That'll teach me to only skim a thread... at least I gave a link. :smalltongue:

true_shinken
2010-11-29, 12:10 PM
I just can't help it!
It actually surprises me that this joke pops up a lot more often here than it ever did it in 339.

gbprime
2010-11-29, 01:07 PM
Nah, if you really want to abuse this feat, you don't use TWF, you Polymorph into a Hydra and attack with 12 Arcane Strike'd heads. :smallwink:

Niiiiiice. We've seen a 12 headed sneak attacking hydra at the table, but not an Arcane Striking one. :smallamused:

T.G. Oskar
2010-11-29, 02:13 PM

Gasp! Thalia and Elan would gut me (with a pretty poignant pun-ishment) if I didn't take that perfect moment to deliver a meme-joke! It yearned, cried for existence!

Besides, if it would have been taken for real...

And hey, whaddya think the spoiler was, actually? I contributed!

Though...Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barb + Martial Wiz... Maybe add some Swiftblade to the mix and get Hastened attacks to the mix. Then there's Barb + Sorc + Rage Mage, but 1/2 casting isn't very good; the ability to get Tenser's Transformation AND spellcasting is great, though perhaps a bit too weak 1/day. Maybe if it were really more powerful, going in Spell Rage and Warrior's Cry WHILE using TWF and Arcane Strike would be quite deadly.

Coidzor
2010-11-29, 02:25 PM
Niiiiiice. We've seen a 12 headed sneak attacking hydra at the table, but not an Arcane Striking one. :smallamused:

Best of all, it's possible to have both. :smalleek:

Eldariel
2010-11-29, 02:53 PM
Best of all, it's possible to have both. :smalleek:

Heh. Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 1 with Hunter's Eye from Advanced Learning, Quicken Spell & Persistent Spell. And Arcane Strike & Knowledge Devotion. And Craven for good measure. Persistent Wraithstrike & Hunter's Eye (hell, Swift Haste for good measure too), Quicken Polymorph, Go To Town. 12 Touch attacks at +13 to hit plus BAB and stats, for +13d6 SA + 16 Craven + 8d4 Arcane Strike + 5 Knowledge Devotion.

Of course, that's not nearly what you COULD do, but that's a nice starting point. Oh, and mite as well persist Grave Strike, Golem Strike and Vinestrike for good measure so you can SA things.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-29, 07:43 PM
:smallannoyed: How yo dare to suggest lighting warrior.... We are trying to optimize here you know? I don't care for all the flavour that Lighting warrior has. Common loosing familiar? pft WEAK and I can't event specialize.. thanks but no thank.

:smalltongue:

Now returning to the topic... is there any good guide or list for gishy spells?

Off the top of my head I can only remember

Shield, Mage armour, Whirling Blade, Vampiric Touch, False life, displacement (greater) mirror image, nerveskitter, wraithstrike, Heart of____ polymorph and the Wombat Attributes.... ah and the bite of the were____ line. Any other good one that I am missing?

Andion Isurand
2010-11-29, 08:16 PM
He could use a number of Heroics spells to grant himself all the fighter feats he needs.

Ferocity of Sanguine Rage & Blood Wind are good spells to add.

Bane Weapon from Dragon 279 is a good one too.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-29, 08:18 PM
I think I saw Ferocity of the Sanguine Rage on Dragon Magic, but I don't recall blood wind, so care to cite the source please?

Andion Isurand
2010-11-29, 08:20 PM
Spell Compendium

Blood Wind (clr 1 sor/wiz 1) takes a swift action to cast, makes all the target's natural weapons act like thrown weapons with a range inc of 20 feet for 1 round, except that normal melee modifiers are used. Good to use when you want to use hydra bites at range.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-29, 08:23 PM
hmmm I guess I could use it if I polymorph into a shape with a a good number of natural attacks, because other than that a sculpted whirling blade seems a better option.

Edit: Hey no fair, you sword-sage edited the part about the hydras.

true_shinken
2010-11-30, 10:09 AM
I think I saw Ferocity of the Sanguine Rage on Dragon Magic, but I don't recall blood wind, so care to cite the source please?

Ferocity is a very good spell - the only problem is that it takes a standard action, so it's a turn where you are not killing anyone.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-30, 10:30 AM
Hey should I go focused specialist? If I use arcane strike on a regular basis, I would need all the spell slots I can have... I would have to ban Enchantment (meh) evocation (other than contingency I don't see a really big loss here) and necromancy (I loose vampiric touch and false life, but I think I loose the less by banning this school)

Thespianus
2010-12-01, 10:05 AM
Hey should I go focused specialist? If I use arcane strike on a regular basis, I would need all the spell slots I can have... I would have to ban Enchantment (meh) evocation (other than contingency I don't see a really big loss here) and necromancy (I loose vampiric touch and false life, but I think I loose the less by banning this school)

Go Focused Specialist Conjurer with the Abrupt Jaunt ACF. It's so good it should be a default setting: Unless you specifically say otherwise, you're a FS Conjurer with Abrupt Jaunt. ;)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-01, 10:08 AM
When I build Gishes, I sually specialize in Transmutation; I usually leave Conjuration specialization for more serious arcanists.

Keld Denar
2010-12-01, 11:43 AM
If you plan on using Spellstoring weapons, keeping a damage spell or two around isn't a bad plan. A pair of Spellstoring weapons can nova quite well in the first round of combat, and a pair of Spellstoring Bloodstone weapons could REALLY dish out the hurt.

Just something to think about.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-01, 11:46 AM
That is actually one of the reasons I am not sure if going focused specialist and banning evocation is a good idea. I was planning on wanding Vampiric touch and using the wand to fuel a bloodstone weapon. If I ban Necromancy I would need UMD to activate them.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 01:52 PM
That is actually one of the reasons I am not sure if going focused specialist and banning evocation is a good idea. I was planning on wanding Vampiric touch and using the wand to fuel a bloodstone weapon. If I ban Necromancy I would need UMD to activate them.

Or Arcane Training (Sorcerer). :smallamused:

Keld Denar
2010-12-01, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't wand them. You'll be stuck with min CL unless you want to pay out the wazzoo for em. CL5 is only 2d8, 3d8 with Bloodstone, whereas a CL10 VT would be 5d8, 7.5d8 with Bloodstone. More HP for you, fewer HP for your foes!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-01, 02:39 PM
Or Arcane Training (Sorcerer). :smallamused:

..... :blink: err Would do that, but my feat slots are pretty packed.

I wouldn't wand them. You'll be stuck with min CL unless you want to pay out the wazzoo for em. CL5 is only 2d8, 3d8 with Bloodstone, whereas a CL10 VT would be 5d8, 7.5d8 with Bloodstone. More HP for you, fewer HP for your foes!

Oh right... wand prices are a minum CL.....

Coidzor
2010-12-01, 02:50 PM
Hmm, I believe the duskblade handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0) mentions a way to use eternal wands and a ring of theurgy to temporarily get a spell onto your spell list for one casting per attempt. That may or may not be capable of working around a banned school though. Can't recall, sorry.

Eternal Wands MIC: Eternal wands are usable 2/day and hold an arcane spell of up to 3rd level. You can use them even if the spell they contain isn't on your spell list. Best spells for these wands would include: Cure Light/Moderate/Serious wounds, Alter Self, Invisibility, knock, rope trick, shatter, Enlarge Person. Other spells that may prove useful are: Lightfoot, whirling blade. Remember that you can have multiple wands of a single spell. Also assuming you are ok with your DM, trapsmiths cast arcane spells.

Ring of Theurgy CA: This ring adds spells known until you cast them. Great if you have spellcasters in your team. Shivering touch is a powerful third level spell that can be put in a eternal wand. Consult your dm if you can load spells into a ring of theurgy from other items, like wands. If he is ok with that, get as many eternal wands as you can and easily add spells known to your list.

true_shinken
2010-12-01, 02:55 PM
Hmm, I believe the duskblade handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0) mentions a way to use eternal wands and a ring of theurgy to temporarily get a spell onto your spell list for one casting per attempt. That may or may not be capable of working around a banned school though. Can't recall, sorry.

Wow, that is one cool trick.