PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Sorcadin

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-28, 01:47 AM
I'm playing in a Pathfinder one shot in a couple of days, and I need some help building my character. I've heard about how the Sorcadin makes a pretty good gish in 3.5, and I was wondering if they could be made to work in Pathfinder. Thing is, I'm restricted to Pathfinder sources only, so I can't use Abjurant Champion or Spellsword or anything like that. So, Playgrounders, what can I do?

For my allowed sources, any printed, official Pathfinder sources are allowed (i.e. Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Cheliax Faction Companion, etc.). For stats I'm to build using a 20 point buy (that is, Pathfinder point buy), and I'm to build a level 12 character. Any core race is fine and I'm to take any two traits.

Grynning
2010-11-28, 02:05 AM
well, without abj. champ or a spellsword dip, you'll want to pick up some way to cast in armor, but in PF you can do that with a feat. The PF eldritch knight is still pretty lackluster, so I'd avoid it, but the PF Dragon Disciple is gishy and much improved from 3.5. If you're down with the draconic feel, Paladin 2/Sorc 3/DD 10/Sorc 5 would do it.

You lose less casting if you do 10 levels of Eldritch Knight instead of DD, so if you absolutely need 9th level spells, go for it.

tyckspoon
2010-11-28, 02:13 AM
For Pathfinder, I'd probably go into Dragon Disciple (disclaimer: I don't have access to most of the stuff beyond the Pathfinder Core book. The APG, in particular, may offer better ways to pull this off.) The Draconic sorcerer bloodline is pretty handy for a gish already, with natural weapons and Natural Armor bonuses, and Dragon Disciple advances it while building on it with useful stat buffs and even more Natural Armor. Plus it's easy to get into, compared to the feat and race restrictions on Arcane Archer and the requirement for 3rd level spells on Eldritch Knight, so in 12 levels you can have a relevant amount of Dragon Disciple in the build (Or just do Dragon Disciple until you qualify for Eldritch Knight.)

So.. something like Paladin 2/Sorc 3/DD 7. You'd cast as an 8th level Sorc and have bloodline abilities as a 10th. +4 Str, +2 Con, +5 total Natural Armor (which will still stack with an Amulet of NA or other source of NA Enhancement.) +8 BAB, which is a little low for the level, but you should be able to make it up in stats and buffs. 2 Claws and a Bite for 3+Cha-mod rounds/day. Blindsense and 2 levels away from getting Wings if you finish out DD. And 1/day you can turn into a dragon and whomp the heck out of something.

Alternately, the Eldritch Knight plan: Pal 2/Sorc 3/DD 4/EK 3. Still Sorc casting 8, but BAB is a point higher, and your future progression is safely full casting/full BAB. You still get a pretty decent natural armor buff and the +4 Strength bonus (DD 4 is a pretty good quitting point.)

Gnaeus
2010-11-28, 05:16 PM
I also like dragon disciple. But Paladin 2, Sorcerer 10 (then up to 18 as you level is still good. You get 9th level spells, which pretty much blows away anything WITHOUT 9th level spells. But I will admit that there is a level range where Dragon disciple is as good or better.

Also check out Oslyuth Guile if you plan on having a high AC. If you fight defensively, you can add your Cha to your AC.