PDA

View Full Version : Botanist?

The Pressman
2010-11-28, 04:36 AM
Has anyone seen a class, NPC or PC, homebrew or otherwise, that would fit a botanist?

SilverLeaf167
2010-11-28, 04:42 AM
Druid? Maybe replace Wild Empathy with Plant Empathy, or something like that?

The Pressman
2010-11-28, 04:44 AM
Druid? Maybe replace Wild Empathy with Plant Empathy, or something like that?

I thought that, but then I realized that nature might not be fond of someone ripping up plants, preserving them, and then doing it again, all over the place.

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 04:51 AM
Eh, Nature doesn't really care about individual things being destroyed unless they're special, otherwise it'd have to kill all of those wild animals and dragons and such. Generally it's large scale actions that are the only things which have more justification than druids thinking they were paladins and thus taking a certain class feature that everyone else hates.

The Pressman
2010-11-28, 04:53 AM
Eh, Nature doesn't really care about individual things being destroyed unless they're special, otherwise it'd have to kill all of those wild animals and dragons and such. Generally it's large scale actions that are the only things which have more justification than druids thinking they were paladins and thus taking a certain class feature that everyone else hates.

Forgive my inability to see references, but what is that class feature?

SilverLeaf167
2010-11-28, 04:56 AM
Lots of people hate wild shape? Btw, druids also obtain the ability to wild shape into plants at 12th level.

The Pressman
2010-11-28, 05:00 AM
So maybe just have the druid only be able to Wild-Shape into Plants, and replace Wild Empathy with Plant Empathy? And change a lot of the spells to be more plant themed? Also, I'd like to address the academic aspect of botany as well.

SITB
2010-11-28, 05:00 AM
Forgive my inability to see references, but what is that class feature?

I'd presume it's the "Stick up the butt" feature he is talking about.

Sdonourg
2010-11-28, 05:14 AM
There is a homebrew Plant Druid here
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171732

mucat
2010-11-28, 05:18 AM
So maybe just have the druid only be able to Wild-Shape into Plants, and replace Wild Empathy with Plant Empathy? And change a lot of the spells to be more plant themed? Also, I'd like to address the academic aspect of botany as well.

I agree that a druid would make an excellent botanist, and could easily handle the academic side of the field; just give him good mental stats across the board and max out both Knowledge (Nature) and Profession (Botanist). Some other druids might frown on him, others might respect him for his knowledge and for the fact that he studies nature as deeply as they do, but from a different perspective..

However, if your character's personality is strongly tilted toward analytical study of nature rather than reverence for it, then Druid -- even an "eccentric" druid -- would be the wrong class. In that case, a wizard could also make an excellent botanist. Get the DM to let you homebrew a bunch of plant-related spells, and flavor his research and item creation toward the study, modification, and creation of plant life.

Plenty of other classes could work well too; a character's profession and his class don't have to be related. It depends on how closely you want his academic pursuits to relate to his adventuring skills. (Of course, you do want Knowledge (Nature) as a class skill, but you can probably talk your DM into letting you take that in exchange for some other small concession, regardless of your class.)

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-28, 05:19 AM
The best fit for a botanist would be an Expert with ranks in Knowledge (nature) and Profession (botany).

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 05:38 AM

Yeah, pretty much. I believe Belkar made references to this sometime around that point in the comic where Miko's time was coming to an end.

So maybe just have the druid only be able to Wild-Shape into Plants, and replace Wild Empathy with Plant Empathy? And change a lot of the spells to be more plant themed?

I believe there's a PrC that gets some ability to turn into a plant but nothing else... I believe it's from Eberron, Landforged something, maybe?

Also, I'd like to address the academic aspect of botany as well.

Well, that's mostly Knowledge: Nature skill ranks, really.

Hmm.... Maybe Fey Bard from UA? I believe it gets nature themed abilities while being primarily skillful. Gets an AC though. Might give some ideas if you're going to mix up something yourself though.

Zaq
2010-11-28, 05:38 AM
There's a third party book called Alchemy and Herbalists by Bastion Press that should have exactly what you're looking for in the section on herbalism. It's 3.0, but just change Alchemy to Craft:Alchemy and you're pretty much good to go. The book actually has a lot of really interesting fluff (both for alchemy and for herbalism), even if the crunch is sketchy in places. I'm not too big on third party material, but something in this book resonates with me. If you can find it, I recommend at least leafing through it.

AslanCross
2010-11-28, 05:42 AM

Yeah, that's what he was referring to. For the record, it's not really required. :smallsigh:

In any case, a druid could probably do it, especially if the druid's studies could further the cause of nature.

A wizard with ranks in Craft (Alchemy), Profession (Apothecary) and Knowledge (Nature) could play up the more pharmacological side of Botany, but might lack the spells to play this up in combat.

Finally, a Cloistered Cleric with the Plant Domain can certainly make a good Botanist, with emphasis on the scholarly side without sacrificing the large amount of skills (research ability) nor the spells.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-28, 06:10 AM
Archivist who grabs tons of druid spells from divine scrolls. Travels into dangerous dungeons to find lost species of different plants or flowers.

The Pressman
2010-11-28, 06:17 AM
Archivist who grabs tons of druid spells from divine scrolls. Travels into dangerous dungeons to find lost species of different plants or flowers.

Perhaps an archivist who, instead of getting default spells from the cleric list, gets them from the druid list?

HunterOfJello
2010-11-28, 06:20 AM
Perhaps an archivist who, instead of getting default spells from the cleric list, gets them from the druid list?

There's a feat called Archivist of Nature that allows you to use your Dark Knowledge ability on giants and fey. If you took that at first level, then I think your DM could be convinced to allow you to be a Druid-based Archivist who can take spells on the druid list at level up and other divine lists by spells.

Thurbane
2010-11-28, 06:29 AM
Yep, I'm going to chime in and say that Archivist fits this perfectly. Max out Knowledge (nature), and cherry pick any plant-related spell on a divine spell list.

Serpentine
2010-11-28, 06:32 AM
Awww. No other love for my planty-wahnty druidy-wuidy?
There is a homebrew Plant Druid here
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171732I was hoping I could finally get that critiquing, too :smallfrown:

Sdonourg
2010-11-28, 06:54 AM
I was hoping I could finally get that critiquing, too :smallfrown:

I like it very much, but I can't critique it due to lack of balancing skills :smallfrown:

Xallace
2010-11-28, 09:38 AM
One of the later Dragon Magazines (I believe it's got Demogorgon on the cover, if anyone knows which number that is. I'm away from my collection for a few days) has an article on arcane botany. It features a whole bunch of magical plants, crunchy things to do with them, and tons of nice fluff.

There's also one of with rules for druids with plant companions. I am under the impression that one had a modron on the cover. I really need to get back to my books so this will actually be helpful.

Archivist would work fairly well, and I'm sure you could re-fluff plenty of arcane spells to fit if need be. Really, the only important parts are Knowledge (Nature) and Profession (Herbalist) or (Gardener). You could be a Factotum and be an adventuring, Indiana-Jones botanist! Or a Bard with the Green Ear feat (Complete Adventurer?) and perhaps this nifty PrC by Forever Curious (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9119499&postcount=7)!

There's a lot of options, really.

Serpentine
2010-11-28, 09:52 AM
There's also one of with rules for druids with plant companions. I am under the impression that one had a modron on the cover.Really? I own that one, and it'd be really handy for my Plant Druid!

Xallace
2010-11-28, 09:55 AM
Really? I own that one, and it'd be really handy for my Plant Druid!

I know that one has the modrons and Heironeous... if it's there, it'll be in the back under the class acts section. I'll get back to my collection ASAP and get back to everyone on this.

By the way, diggin' the Nightcrawler avatar.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 10:07 AM
I know that one has the modrons and Heironeous... if it's there, it'll be in the back under the class acts section. I'll get back to my collection ASAP and get back to everyone on this.

By the way, diggin' the Nightcrawler avatar.

I thought it was pretty BAMF myself. :smallcool:

(At least I did once I realized Serp had not, in fact, replaced her avatar with a spotted blue toadstool and a random squiggly arrow.)

Xallace
2010-11-28, 10:17 AM
I thought it was pretty BAMF myself. :smallcool:

Yeaaaaah! (http://orangeapple.com/side-blog/instant-caruso)
Appropriate enough moment for me.

Oh, I just thought of something. Unearthed Arcana mentions the idea of custom summoning lists. Fill out your Summon Monster lists with plant creatures, see if the DM will let you change the school from Conjuration to Transmutation. Alter the flora into your army of nature's defenders!

mikau013
2010-11-28, 10:29 AM
If you don't mind 3.0 is has the forest master prc (Faiths & Pantheons p#193)
which sounds like a perfect fit, with the abilities to command plants & become a plant yourself :smallcool:

Psyren
2010-11-28, 02:47 PM
If you don't mind being a Warforged, Landforged Walker can deal with plants and become a plant too.

You can also be a Cloistered Cleric that goes into Holt Warden.

Scoot
2010-11-28, 03:56 PM
There's a third party book called Alchemy and Herbalists by Bastion Press that should have exactly what you're looking for in the section on herbalism. It's 3.0, but just change Alchemy to Craft:Alchemy and you're pretty much good to go. The book actually has a lot of really interesting fluff (both for alchemy and for herbalism), even if the crunch is sketchy in places. I'm not too big on third party material, but something in this book resonates with me. If you can find it, I recommend at least leafing through it.

+1 for this.

The book also includes details for specific schools where characters learn of both.. Well, Alchemy and Herbalism.

The class in particular that would best fit a botanist would be The Tarastan Herbalist. Although any could potentialy be re-fluffed to better suit your needs.

dextercorvia
2010-11-28, 04:16 PM
How about Cloistered Cleric with Plant domain. Of course you get Knowledge for free, and one of your choosing.

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 04:30 PM
Or a Bard with the Green Thumb feat (Complete Adventurer?) and perhaps this nifty PrC by Forever Curious (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9119499&postcount=7)!

Green Thumb Feat? Just did a sweep and didn't see anything with that name.

Jota
2010-11-28, 05:56 PM
Homebrew (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Biomancer_%283.5e_Class%29) options (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9573). The former is probably more toxicologist and the latter more taxonomist, though either might fit and they can always be re-fluffed.

The Pressman
2010-11-28, 06:19 PM
There's a feat called Archivist of Nature that allows you to use your Dark Knowledge ability on giants and fey. If you took that at first level, then I think your DM could be convinced to allow you to be a Druid-based Archivist who can take spells on the druid list at level up and other divine lists by spells.

Seeing as I'm the DM, it shouldn't be that hard.:smallwink:
I was researching this for a player. In the campaign, they all start with 3 levels in an NPC class. One of them is a botanist, so I'll have him be the expert with nature specialization. But the 4th level is a PC class, so that's the class I was looking for. And the archivist bit is probably the one I'll go with.

Leon
2010-11-28, 11:56 PM
Archivist (or Cloistered Cleric) with the Holt Warden PrC

Xallace
2010-11-29, 06:59 AM
Green Thumb Feat? Just did a sweep and didn't see anything with that name.

Green Ear, sorry. :smallredface:
Totally the same body part what are you talking about. Editing now.

Toliudar
2010-11-29, 11:37 AM
I may have missed it, but the Greenbound Summoning feat from lost empires of Faerun would also be thoroughly appropriate for a botanist character. Why summon a wolf when you can summon - a wolf who's also a bush.