PDA

View Full Version : Sun, sun, go away, I don't want to pay a fee today...

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 07:50 AM
After billions of years the Sun finally has an owner -- a woman from Spain's soggy region of Galicia said Friday she had registered the star at a local notary public as being her property.

Angeles Duran, 49, told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our Solar System.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

"There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law. I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first."

The document issued by the notary public declares Duran to be the "owner of the Sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometres".

Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government and 20 percent to the nation's pension fund.

She would dedicate another 10 percent to research, another 10 percent to ending world hunger -- and would keep the remaining 10 percent herself.

"It is time to start doing things the right way, if there is an idea for how to generate income and improve the economy and people's well-being, why not do it?" she asked.

http://www.france24.com/en/20101126-spanish-woman-claims-ownership-sun

Eldan
2010-11-28, 07:54 AM
She should start outlawing solar power plants. And plants.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 07:55 AM
She should start outlawing solar power plants. And plants.

I foresee dark times ahead.

Trazoi
2010-11-28, 08:03 AM
Does she realise how many laws she is breaking by owning and operating a nuclear power plant with no environmental protection whatsoever? Not even basic shielding! She's dousing everyone with radiation! :smalleek:

Comet
2010-11-28, 08:03 AM
This is one of the silliest things I've read all week. And it's been a pretty weird week, too.

Eldan
2010-11-28, 08:05 AM
Does she realise how many laws she is breaking by owning and operating a nuclear power plant with no environmental protection whatsoever? Not even basic shielding! She's dousing everyone with radiation! :smalleek:

Hey, that's right. Someone phone Australia, they have someone to sue for all that skin cancer.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:06 AM

You've helped me see this situation in a new light.

This is one of the silliest things I've read all week. And it's been a pretty weird week, too.

Well, it's only Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: This joke doesn't work if you live in one of those countries that puts Monday as the first day of the week.

akma
2010-11-28, 08:06 AM

If she seriously starts working on charging everyone, we could sue her for assault based on those grouns.

P.S. It reminds me of the time someone tried to convince me to buy land on the moon, and tried to convince me by saying the value of the land will go up. I checked the website, and I think it costed a lot more then.

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 08:12 AM
First the water then the sunlight then the air and then if you can't pay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb847-0rsvs)...

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:13 AM
If she seriously starts working on charging everyone, we could sue her for assault based on those grouns.

P.S. It reminds me of the time someone tried to convince me to buy land on the moon, and tried to convince me by saying the value of the land will go up. I checked the website, and I think it costed a lot more then.

You would have to be a lunatic to take that deal.

First the water then the sunlight then the air and then if you can't pay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb847-0rsvs)...

My first thought was SpaceBalls, personally.

Spiryt
2010-11-28, 08:19 AM
LOL - where can I inform her when I'm stealing her property by sunbathing? :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-11-28, 08:20 AM
So...
Solar flares. How much does it cost when communication breaks down locally? I'd also make her responsible for the Sahara desert. And global warming.

Skeppio
2010-11-28, 08:22 AM
So...
Solar flares. How much does it cost when communication breaks down locally? I'd also make her responsible for the Sahara desert. And global warming.

What about night time? I'm losing hours of this service everyday! I've half a mind to sue her for the inconvenience. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 08:23 AM
All weather-related phenomena are a result of the sun, so... yeah.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:23 AM
What about night time? I'm losing hours of this service everyday! I've half a mind to sue her for the inconvenience. :smallamused:

Well, to be fair, she's probably charging by meter and not a blanket fee, so that probably wouldn't work.

I couldn't fit a pun in this post.

Skeppio
2010-11-28, 08:27 AM
Well, to be fair, she's probably charging by meter and not a blanket fee, so that probably wouldn't work.

If she's gonna be insane and claim ownership of a star that's been around longer than her home planet, I get to be insane and demand impossible services. :smallamused:

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:29 AM
If she's gonna be insane and claim ownership of a star that's been around longer than her home planet, I get to be insane and demand impossible services. :smallamused:

Iunno. I kinda have to admire the audacity. I also like how, apparently, 70% of the money from using the sun would go into Spain and Spain's pension. What the hell does that Spanish government need with that much money?

Asta Kask
2010-11-28, 08:32 AM
Iunno. I kinda have to admire the audacity. I also like how, apparently, 70% of the money from using the sun would go into Spain and Spain's pension. What the hell does that Spanish government need with that much money?

Isn't Spain next on the economic-crash list, after Portugal?

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 08:34 AM

Maybe, but as they're not a command economy, the government proper's cash flow is... incidental.

Syka
2010-11-28, 08:37 AM
So this means I can get money from her for the damage the sun cause via hurricanes?

Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-11-28, 08:37 AM
So. What else can we blame her for...

-Cyclones
-Rain seasons
-Floods
-spring- and rip-tides
-Heat waves
-Melting ice-caps

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:38 AM

Yeah, but assuming a penny a day from each person for 365 days a year, at 6.2 billion (I know it's bigger than 6 now) people...

$22,630,000,000.

70% of that is $15.84 billion...

Okay, yeah, I guess not actually that much when weighed against their deficit. Noticeable, but not insta-cure.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-28, 08:38 AM
There is no legal procedure, national or international, to claim ownership of a heavenly body. Just because there is a law making it illegal for nations to try it does not make inviduals doing it legal.

And if it where, I am sure the world's various sun cults would have a prior claim.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:39 AM
There is no legal procedure, national or international, to claim ownership of a heavenly body. Just because there is a law making it illegal for nations to try it does not make inviduals doing it legal.

And if it where, I am sure the world's various sun cults would have a prior claim.

If there's no law against it, it's not illegal; that said, no one will respect the claim whatsoever, so it's meaningless. It's like laws about not having socks on while having sex.

Eldan
2010-11-28, 08:42 AM
Actually, I'd say the person who first saw it gets to claim it, as with new land.

I'm guessing that happened somewhere in Africa.

Syka
2010-11-28, 08:43 AM
Apparently it is illegal (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090717-who-owns-moon-real-estate.htmll). :smallfrown:

I figured that the UN wasn't dumb enough to make it so individuals could claim ownership of a celestial body.

...and here I was hoping I could put a claim in for a star...

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 08:45 AM
Apparently it is illegal (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090717-who-owns-moon-real-estate.htmll). :smallfrown:

I figured that the UN wasn't dumb enough to make it so individuals could claim ownership of a celestial body.

Aww. I wanted ownership of the Phoenix Constellation.

Eldan
2010-11-28, 08:56 AM
I'd like Epsilon Eridani, personally.

Maybe Sirius too. Screw the moon, in a few thousand years, this will be prime estate.

_Zoot_
2010-11-28, 08:56 AM
Hey, that's right. Someone phone Australia, they have someone to sue for all that skin cancer.

She is going to be in soooooo much trouble now.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-28, 08:57 AM
If there's no law against it, it's not illegal;

But there is no law enabling it, so it is not possible.

Midnight Son
2010-11-28, 08:58 AM
Aww. I wanted ownership of the Phoenix Constellation.
Too late. That constellation already belongs to my wife. We'll sue your pants off if you try claiming it.

The collecting of other people's pants is a strange fetish, I know, but hey, at least we acquire them legally

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/dancin.gif

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 09:02 AM
Too late. That constellation already belongs to my wife. We'll sue your pants off if you try claiming it.

The collecting of other people's pants is a strange fetish, I know, but hey, at least we acquire them legally

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/dancin.gif

Little do you know that I wear skirts.

The_Admiral
2010-11-28, 09:09 AM

Yer a girl?!?!

lesser_minion
2010-11-28, 09:10 AM

No, Astral is right. In most countries, you have the right to do whatever you want, as long as it's not forbidden or restricted. The government usually goes on to promise not to mess around with certain 'fundamental rights' such as freedom of speech.

I don't think he was talking about trousers...

Yer a girl?!?!

That's a prerequisite?!?!

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 09:11 AM
Yer a girl?!?!

http://rlv.zcache.com/facebook_status_its_complicated_tshirt-p235244763611502330adc0r_325.jpg

I don't think he was talking about trousers...

Do I want to know what he WAS talking about?

lesser_minion
2010-11-28, 09:14 AM
Do I want to know what he WAS talking about?

In the UK at least, 'pants' are an item of underwear.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 09:17 AM
In the UK at least, 'pants' are an item of underwear.

Little does he know, that...

Uh.

I'm a cyborg.

YEAH.

:smallcool:

Cyborg. There we go.

Drascin
2010-11-28, 09:18 AM

Yes, yes we are.

And I can't say it surprises me to hear a woman from this country tried that :smalltongue:.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-28, 09:26 AM
No, Astral is right. In most countries, you have the right to do whatever you want, as long as it's not forbidden or restricted. The government usually goes on to promise not to mess around with certain 'fundamental rights' such as freedom of speech.

Ah, but the sun does not exist within the borders of any given nation, thus such laws have no authority over it. In order to effect objects or territories beyond the borders of a nation a nation needs to enact legislation to that effect.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 09:31 AM
Ah, but the sun does not exist within the borders of any given nation, thus such laws have no authority over it. In order to effect objects or territories beyond the borders of a nation a nation needs to enact legislation to that effect.

I can't really find any strength for this assertion. The only similar situation I can think of is stuff during the age of exploration, which also had a completely inverted idea of the concept of property (everything ultimately belongs to the Monarch) as we do now.

Lillith
2010-11-28, 09:39 AM
Sooo... does this mean I can sue this lady for getting a sunburn? How about the sun blinding me while I'm driving? Or the fact that the sun makes my room a billion degrees while I don't want it that hot? Or that the sun causes forest fires, can I sue her for that? And that the sun is so far away in the winter, making it freeze here? I didn't ask for the sun to go away or burn me. :smallmad:

Seriously though, can people sue her now? Also I doubt any government would accept this 'ownership' legal. No company is going to pay her.

HalfTangible
2010-11-28, 09:42 AM

That is a scary way of looking at the world. It really is.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 09:52 AM

Uh.

I'm a cyborg.

YEAH.

Cyborg. There we go.

...cyborgs don't wear underwear? Terminator says differently! =P

Also, question. How would you claim ownership of a celestial body? Who's holding all these celestial deeds until you claim them? And even if it WAS legal, I would think anyone not wanting to pay their solar tax could easily boycott it. Or worse, go to war over ownership of it. >.>

Asta Kask
2010-11-28, 10:01 AM
If she plants a flag on the surface, I'll salute her. Otherwise, no.

Istari
2010-11-28, 10:08 AM
If she plants a flag on the surface, I'll salute her. Otherwise, no.

Considering the sun is a gas, that might be rather difficult.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 10:10 AM
Considering the sun is a gas, that might be rather difficult.

I guess you could say that it's a challenge not to be taken lightly.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 10:11 AM

-_-

No. No more. =P

ghost_warlock
2010-11-28, 10:23 AM

Okay. That one I lol'd at. :smallbiggrin:

Bayar
2010-11-28, 10:29 AM
After billions of years the Sun finally has an owner -- a woman from Spain's soggy region of Galicia said Friday she had registered the star at a local notary public as being her property.

Angeles Duran, 49, told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our Solar System.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

"There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law. I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first."

The document issued by the notary public declares Duran to be the "owner of the Sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometres".

Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government and 20 percent to the nation's pension fund.

She would dedicate another 10 percent to research, another 10 percent to ending world hunger -- and would keep the remaining 10 percent herself.

"It is time to start doing things the right way, if there is an idea for how to generate income and improve the economy and people's well-being, why not do it?" she asked.

http://forum.i3d.net/attachments/counter-strike-1-6/943168019d1240763972-sourcebans-facepalm21.jpg

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-28, 10:29 AM
That is a scary way of looking at the world. It really is.We are talking about owning something. Owning something is a legal state. There are laws that state how a person is considered to own land. There are laws that state how a person is considered to own a car. There is no law that states how you would own a planet and the closest analogues are for discovered territory, which would require you to travel to them.

This is not how I view the world. This is how I view property law.

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 10:57 AM

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but where is the other fifty percent?

Boci
2010-11-28, 10:59 AM
Sorry if this was mentioned already, but where is the other fifty percent?

The Spanish government. The 20% is for the pension fund.

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 11:07 AM
Oh, can we just pretend I never asked that? :smallredface:

Jokasti
2010-11-28, 11:13 AM
Just.... some people. Augh.
Dibs on space. She'll have to pay me for her heat and light to reach Earth.
Or else.

Mordokai
2010-11-28, 11:23 AM
Or else.

Fine, but I call dibs on oxygen. Now stop breathing at once, or else...

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 11:24 AM
http://forum.i3d.net/attachments/counter-strike-1-6/943168019d1240763972-sourcebans-facepalm21.jpg

Congratulations, you've given me nightmares.

Eldpollard
2010-11-28, 11:28 AM

Carry on like this and I will have to punish you.
Man I love puns.

Eldan
2010-11-28, 11:28 AM
Or else.

In that case, I call dibs on time.

Project_Mayhem
2010-11-28, 11:30 AM
I'm taking Qualia. Every time you experience anything you're paying me

Jokasti
2010-11-28, 11:32 AM
In that case, I call dibs on time.

Mayhaps a joint venture?

akma
2010-11-28, 11:32 AM
I'm a cyborg.

YEAH.

So how do you explain that your profile picture shows you sitting on a toilet?

And I claim ownership on all of the black holes. Trasspassers will die!
Also, in a theoritic future black holes could be used to develop weapons, so I could make a fortune, and control who will win future wars (well, probably my descendents will do it, I probably won`t live that long).

Eldan
2010-11-28, 11:35 AM
Mayhaps a joint venture?

Okay. I'll take gravity, you can have frames of reference.

Lateral
2010-11-28, 11:39 AM
I call dibs on gluons! Now I get three dollars for every atom everywhere.

...Seriously, though, what the hell? This is just insane.

Jokasti
2010-11-28, 11:40 AM
Okay. I'll take gravity, you can have frames of reference.

Sounds good to me. I'll have the papers drawn up.

lesser_minion
2010-11-28, 11:42 AM
If we're going that route, I'm calling dibs on entropy, and charging license fees on anyone who creates any.

WarKitty
2010-11-28, 11:44 AM
I'm calling dibs on neurons. You must now pay me one tuna treat per thought.

Lateral
2010-11-28, 11:53 AM
If we're going that route, I'm calling dibs on quarks, leptons, and entropy.

You must now pay me £1 per lepton you use, £1 per quark you use, and you'll need an entropy license to create entropy, at £1 a picosecond.

Already called dibs on gluons. Gotta pay me or your quarks are useless.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 11:56 AM
I'm calling dibs on neurons. You must now pay me one tuna treat per thought.

But...now I'm thinking of giving you tuna treats. It's a cycle that never ends! D=

lesser_minion
2010-11-28, 11:59 AM
Well, I think we've successfully demonstrated how stupid this news is.

Already called dibs on gluons. Gotta pay me or your quarks are useless.

*fires off a Cease and Desist letter instructing you to cease your production of unlicensed entropy.*

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 12:05 PM
So how do you explain that your profile picture shows you sitting on a toilet?

what.

no seriously what.

toilet? o_o

Also, it's not me; it's the mascot of, and a character from, my webcomic (http://theanteheroes.com/).

WarKitty
2010-11-28, 12:09 PM
But...now I'm thinking of giving you tuna treats. It's a cycle that never ends! D=

I will accept snuggles in lieu of tuna treats.

EleventhHour
2010-11-28, 12:09 PM
I have claim to this whole "physics" thing. Well, I would. If I wasn't busy trying to break it. So...

...It's like robbing your own house. Except your house is an imaginary box, and there's nothing in it.

Delusion
2010-11-28, 12:13 PM
I call dips on thinking. You can't try to sue me for using your stuff, because that would reguire thinking about me using your stuf :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2010-11-28, 12:16 PM
I call dips on thinking. You can't try to sue me for using your stuff, because that would reguire thinking about me using your stuf :smallbiggrin:

You owe me 10 tuna treats per minute per thinking brain for use of neural networks. :smallcool:

Also, did you really mean "dips"? Because that is an awesome typo.

Jokasti
2010-11-28, 12:21 PM
If it exists, you owe me something.

Teddy
2010-11-28, 12:22 PM
I have claim to this whole "physics" thing. Well, I would. If I wasn't busy trying to break it. So...

...It's like robbing your own house. Except your house is an imaginary box, and there's nothing in it.

I claim mathematics. Physics is just applied mathematics. You should be happy that you didn't went through with that, or I'd fee you for it. And if you'd try to fee me for using your physics, well, I'll only say that I could probably kill you through certain applications of it. :smallwink:

WarKitty
2010-11-28, 12:23 PM
If it exists, you owe me something.

*pounces and snuggles*

I declare snuggles to be the new global currency.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 12:27 PM
...Snuggles are priceless. :smallannoyed:

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-28, 12:30 PM
what.

no seriously what.

toilet? o_o

Actually, now he said that...

Admiral Squish
2010-11-28, 12:38 PM
And I was initially expecting this to be a thread where one could go to voice his distaste with the accursed sky-fire.

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-28, 12:44 PM
I'm gonna have to go one step further and declare my ownership of existence itself. If you exist, you pay; If you don't pay- well, you get the picture.

Elfin
2010-11-28, 12:48 PM
So...is this woman making a publicity grab, or is she just crazy? :smallsigh:

Flickerdart
2010-11-28, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna have to go one step further and declare my ownership of existence itself. If you exist, you pay; If you don't pay- well, you get the picture.
That makes you responsible for trillions of deaths. Pretty much every crime ever committed, actually.

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 12:49 PM
Actually, now he said that...

I still don't see it. :smallconfused:

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 12:55 PM
So...is this woman making a publicity grab, or is she just crazy? :smallsigh:

My bet's on publicity grab, but I've been known to be too optimistic.

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-28, 12:55 PM
That makes you responsible for trillions of deaths. Pretty much every crime ever committed, actually.

And this makes me different from all the people declaring ownership of time and gravity how?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 12:57 PM
*pounces and snuggles*

I declare snuggles to be the new global currency.

=D

Mwahahahaha! My power is infinite! ^_^

Flickerdart
2010-11-28, 12:58 PM
And this makes me different from all the people declaring ownership of time and gravity how?
When was the last time gravity broke into a bank? Any deaths or injuries resulting from it are due to irresponsible use of the product.

Halna LeGavilk
2010-11-28, 12:59 PM
I call the ownership of ideas and concepts.

Temotei
2010-11-28, 01:18 PM
Apparently it is illegal (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/07/090717-who-owns-moon-real-estate.html). :smallfrown:

That must really heat her up.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-28, 01:20 PM
... Wait what?
<<
>>
If she gets the sun, can I have the moon? =D

Oh, Astral. You always know how to brighten up my day.

Temotei
2010-11-28, 01:23 PM
If she gets the sun, can I have the moon? =D

It's already claimed. Apparently, illegally, but hey. :smalltongue:

WarKitty
2010-11-28, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty sure most places have rules that you can't charge for something that the person didn't specifically request, anyway. Like if the TV company beams extra channels that I haven't payed for in, they can't charge me for those channels.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-28, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty sure most places have rules that you can't charge for something that the person didn't specifically request, anyway. Like if the TV company beams extra channels that I haven't payed for in, they can't charge me for those channels.

Hmm. It's not like they can deny you service, anyway... >.>

...unless she is threatening to stop the sun. In a localized manner. >.>

EleventhHour
2010-11-28, 01:31 PM
I claim mathematics. Physics is just applied mathematics. You should be happy that you didn't went through with that, or I'd fee you for it. And if you'd try to fee me for using your physics, well, I'll only say that I could probably kill you through certain applications of it. :smallwink:

I'll take numbers. Ha! Mathmatics is just applied numbers, so now... Uh...

...Well, we have a problem.

Terumitsu
2010-11-28, 01:34 PM
*Lays claim to information*

There we go. Everything that does, doesn't, and might exist right there...

Of course, I'll be providing the service free of charge although that might mean bugfixes will take a while...

Dr.Epic
2010-11-28, 01:35 PM
This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read all year (maybe longer).

Ranger Mattos
2010-11-28, 01:44 PM
This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read all year (maybe longer).

Then you haven't been reading the right things.

Mordokai
2010-11-28, 02:02 PM
Yeah, seriously, this one doesn't even rank the top ten.

Xyk
2010-11-28, 02:26 PM
I claim perception. That beats information, right?

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-28, 02:31 PM
I shall claim the ultimate underling concept.

Conciousness.

I shall offer this service free to all who can demonstrate that they are using it for the betterment of humankind as judged by a pragmatic long term view, on whatever scale they are working. All those abusing their conciousness shall have it taken from them via medication unless they pay me £2000 per day.

So most playgrounders should be safe.

PersonMan
2010-11-28, 02:38 PM
You know what? I claim ownership of the exchange of money, goods or services.

Once I pay off the debts I incur while getting the paperwork done, I'm home free.

Snares
2010-11-28, 02:40 PM
I claim ownership of chocolate and time signatures. That'll be all. :smallcool:

Lateral
2010-11-28, 02:56 PM
I call fermions and bosons, in addition to the aforementioned gluons.

@V: Not much that hasn't been claimed that you won't have to pay someone anytime someone pays you for.

@VV: True dat.

InaVegt
2010-11-28, 02:58 PM
I claim Everything Left Unclaimed At The Moment of This Posting.

Asta Kask
2010-11-28, 03:00 PM
I claim that this thread is turning silly.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 03:07 PM
This thread got sillier from page 1 and I started out making a pun in every post. I think that says everything.

Temotei
2010-11-28, 03:09 PM
I claim that this thread is turning silly.

I would claim that this is already claimed...but my claim is also already claimed.

Worira
2010-11-28, 03:11 PM
I claim claims.

Lateral
2010-11-28, 03:13 PM
I claim the sun. (Wait, it's taken? Damn! :smalltongue:)

horngeek
2010-11-28, 03:13 PM
...what is this I don't even.

Asta Kask
2010-11-28, 03:14 PM
I claim clams.

http://www.itsnature.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/giant-clam.jpg

Temotei
2010-11-28, 03:16 PM
...what is this I don't even.

Ah, man. You changed your post. I was about to claim prolonged nos. (http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/)

Heliomance
2010-11-28, 03:22 PM
I claim the set of all unclaimed items and concepts.

/thread

Asta Kask
2010-11-28, 03:24 PM
I claim the right to claim claimed items. Then I claim everything.

druid91
2010-11-28, 03:31 PM
I claim Nonexistence. Now Pay up, Or else I let chthulu off of my list of claimed things.:smallbiggrin:

InaVegt
2010-11-28, 03:36 PM
I claim the set of all unclaimed items and concepts.

/thread

Beat you to it, mate.

Andraste
2010-11-28, 04:00 PM
I claim The Game.

Heliomance
2010-11-28, 04:11 PM
Beat you to it, mate.
Only in that it was unclaimed at the time of posting. Go look up the Russell paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_paradox) to see why mine is slightly different.

(tl;dr: The set of all unclaimed items or concepts is not claimed, thus it includes itself. I then claim it, so it is claimed, so it is no longer included in the set of all unclaimed items or concepts. Thus, as that set is all I have claimed, I must not own the set of all unclaimed items or concepts, so it is once again unclaimed. GOTO 10.)

druid91
2010-11-28, 04:31 PM
Clearly I must fetch my lawyer to wade through this and maintain my ownership of nonexistence... He has a summer home on the river Styx.:smalltongue:

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 04:33 PM
Only in that it was unclaimed at the time of posting. Go look up the Russell paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_paradox) to see why mine is slightly different.

(tl;dr: The set of all unclaimed items or concepts is not claimed, thus it includes itself. I then claim it, so it is claimed, so it is no longer included in the set of all unclaimed items or concepts. Thus, as that set is all I have claimed, I must not own the set of all unclaimed items or concepts, so it is once again unclaimed. GOTO 10.)

I like how whenever I read a logic article my brain breaks and I feel dumb up until I hit the layman's explanation and then I'm like, "WHY CAN'T THEY JUST SAY THAT."

Teddy
2010-11-28, 05:23 PM

Well, that only works if you also unclaim everything you've claimed. One you claim that set, you've claimed it and, well, that's it.

_Zoot_
2010-11-28, 07:53 PM
I really hate when people think that they are being cleaver and do this sort of thing, I wish someone would invade their "country" just to show them that there is more to owning something than a legal loop-hole.

Also because that would be the single easiest land grab in the history of Humanity, force one person to sign a treaty of surrender, gain the Moon, or the Sun or what ever. :smallbiggrin:

Halna LeGavilk
2010-11-28, 10:02 PM
I shall claim the ultimate underling concept.

Conciousness.

I shall offer this service free to all who can demonstrate that they are using it for the betterment of humankind as judged by a pragmatic long term view, on whatever scale they are working. All those abusing their conciousness shall have it taken from them via medication unless they pay me £2000 per day.

So most playgrounders should be safe.

I claimed concepts. Pay up. :smallbiggrin:

SDF
2010-11-28, 10:33 PM
There are enough armed anarchists in the world that I wouldn't recommend anyone try and collect these claims. :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2010-11-28, 10:55 PM

I couldn't fit a pun in this post.

Both of those ideas are benighted with ignorance.

That's how you pun that one.

Xyk
2010-11-28, 11:36 PM
What happens if I don't pay?

Does it turn off?

Coidzor
2010-11-28, 11:49 PM
I wonder if anyone has tried to copyright or patent sex... :smallconfused:

Teddy
2010-11-29, 02:38 AM
I really hate when people think that they are being cleaver and do this sort of thing, I wish someone would invade their "country" just to show them that there is more to owning something than a legal loop-hole.

Also because that would be the single easiest land grab in the history of Humanity, force one person to sign a treaty of surrender, gain the Moon, or the Sun or what ever. :smallbiggrin:

Well, to be honest, you'd probably have to personaly threaten the "owner" to get it to sign a treaty, and since that owner is living in exile somewhere on Earth (USA and Spain), you'd have to invade those countries. You could theoretically occupy the moon by sending some armed astronauts, but since they'll have to return sometime, you'll have to keep sending new astronauts to keep up the occupation, making it hugely expensive, and there wouldn't really be anything to gain from it.

The sun would easily classify as the hardest land grab in the history - at least if you plan on invading it. :smallwink:

Castel
2010-11-29, 03:02 AM
I cast copyright at the darkness! :smalltongue:

_Zoot_
2010-11-29, 03:57 AM
Well, to be honest, you'd probably have to personaly threaten the "owner" to get it to sign a treaty, and since that owner is living in exile somewhere on Earth (USA and Spain), you'd have to invade those countries. You could theoretically occupy the moon by sending some armed astronauts, but since they'll have to return sometime, you'll have to keep sending new astronauts to keep up the occupation, making it hugely expensive, and there wouldn't really be anything to gain from it.

The sun would easily classify as the hardest land grab in the history - at least if you plan on invading it. :smallwink:

AND NOW! TO INVADE THE SUN!

Sorry, I really had to say that, it has such a good feel to it. :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-29, 04:48 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried to copyright or patent sex... :smallconfused:

Monty Python tried putting a tax on it (not gonna post a link, but you can find it as "Tax on thingy" on Youtube I believe)

Eldan
2010-11-29, 05:03 AM
AND NOW! TO INVADE THE SUN!

Sorry, I really had to say that, it has such a good feel to it. :smallbiggrin:

We could send an armed satellite into really close orbit...

AstralFire
2010-11-29, 05:46 AM
Both of those ideas are benighted with ignorance.

That's how you pun that one.

Nice one. Sure brightened up my day. :smallcool:

Zen Monkey
2010-11-29, 09:19 AM
cue Morbo voice:
Notaries do not work that way!

I can write "I am Thor, god of thunder" on a piece of paper, sign it, and have the signature notarized. All the notary will do is take a look at my ID, and verify that it is truly my signature on the page. The notary stamp does not make Mjolnir suddenly appear in my hand.

Sipex
2010-11-29, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping this is simply because she's making fun of the guy who seriously tried to take ownership of the moon.

Terumitsu
2010-11-29, 01:09 PM
I'm hoping this is simply because she's making fun of the guy who seriously tried to take ownership of the moon.

If that were true, I would laud her for it. Best act of poking fun/trolling I can think of... But only if that were the case.

Salbazier
2010-11-30, 07:33 AM

But the sun is not a land

PersonMan
2010-11-30, 08:31 AM
But the sun is not a land

Which is why it is an incredibly difficult land grab.

thorgrim29
2010-11-30, 10:40 AM
However, it is a pretty hot piece of real estate....

(weak pun I know, sorry)

Kallisti
2010-11-30, 12:42 PM
This whole 'claiming the sun' thing is just a smokescreen. And a glaringly obvious one at that. I say we fire her from her position as Curator of the Sun, before tempers really start to flare up.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-30, 12:54 PM
This thread is getting very punny.

Sipex
2010-11-30, 12:59 PM
She's nova gonna live this down...

Helanna
2010-11-30, 01:14 PM
But surely the knowledge that she owned the sun will be some kind of solarace.
I am not good at making puns, but I couldn't resist. This is a pretty hot thread.

AstralFire
2010-11-30, 01:19 PM
The fact that this revenue plan is illegal is a blow to her finances; after all, it could really helium.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-30, 01:32 PM
This woman claims she owns the sun. Not a solar 'ound her can prove her wrong.

Couldn't resist.

Sipex
2010-11-30, 01:34 PM
I'll tell you one thing though, it's definitely made her somewhat of a star. Idiocity of this calibur tends to eclipse other news.

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-30, 01:34 PM
Sunbody must have been inspired to come out with that last pun.

Kallisti
2010-11-30, 01:46 PM
Her half-baked scheme has bathed her in attention, certainly, although I think it could lead to a spot of bother. I have every confidence she'll rise to the occasion. So pick up those glasses you set down and let's have a toast to the Spanish woman who stole the sun--it's a brilliant idea. Incandescent, even.:smallcool:

Sipex
2010-11-30, 01:51 PM
Puntacular!

Haruki-kun
2010-11-30, 01:52 PM
Well, I think this thread needs 'em. (http://dingofick.de/InstantCSI.swf)

*puts on sunglasses*

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-30, 02:02 PM
That is an amusing light to view the thread in, although I have to agree it is a bright idea.

Sipex
2010-11-30, 02:14 PM
A bright idea? She doesn't have a ray of hope if she thinks she'll actually see profit from this. She'll be tied up in courtrooms from sun up to sun down. She'll never see daylight again. Any profit she does make will be eclipsed by her super giant lawyer fees. Her bank account will go nova!

GLOBAL WARMING
RA
HEAT
FIRE

I'm done.

Kuma Da
2010-11-30, 02:20 PM
Dibs on pluto.

Just calling it now.

C'mon, someone has to corner that lovable iceball for mining rights. :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2010-11-30, 02:44 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8izTWyUIjxY/SqlbJS6cgKI/AAAAAAAAFK8/XA31YobpoQk/s400/simpsons-sun-744577.png

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-30, 03:05 PM
I am delighted by the level of ridicule this woman has received. No one is viewing her claim in a positive light.

Lateral
2010-11-30, 03:11 PM

*puts on sunglasses*

HAH!

That was great!

InaVegt
2010-11-30, 03:41 PM

*puts on sunglasses*

Haruki, did you intend to kill me?

Because that almost gave me a heart attack.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-30, 03:53 PM
Oh lighten up!

lesser_minion
2010-11-30, 06:07 PM
I am delighted by the level of ridicule this woman has received. No one is viewing her claim in a positive light.

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of other people with plans of their own to set in motion. Another story like this will rise at some point.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-30, 06:16 PM
That is small fry to own the sun.

I'd own death. Everytime your family member dies you owe me a dollar each (from each living relative).

Owners of pets owe me too (even fish owners).

Cealocanth
2010-11-30, 06:46 PM
This is ridiculous. Here in Colorado, we get sunshine most of the year. No way I'm going to start paying a fee just for existing around this place. I can't believe anyone would try to do this.

Kallisti
2010-11-30, 08:43 PM
Ridiculous, yes. The whole thing is a harebrained scheme--dimwitted, even. And I'm sure we're all in the dark as to how she thinks she's going to pull this off. How is she going to enforce the fees, hmmm? Shadowy Yakuza-type enforcers? A dark bargain with black powers? But then, that's what we get for expecting sense in this benighted world of ours.

John Cribati
2010-11-30, 09:32 PM
Did anyone call dibs on quantum physics yet? If not, I want a penny for everything you're not looking at.

Cealocanth
2010-11-30, 10:46 PM
Alright then. I call dibs on dirt. All of it. You can't walk on or see anything that was or will ever be dirt without owing me $0.10 per violation.

Teddy
2010-12-01, 05:50 AM
No one's claimed puns? Well, then I do so, and then I fine you all. Retroactively. PAY UP! :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-12-01, 07:01 AM
Dibs on pluto.

Just calling it now.

C'mon, someone has to corner that lovable iceball for mining rights. :smallbiggrin:

If we can only call dibs on celestial objects, I'm calling Titan and Europa.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-01, 07:21 AM
If we can only call dibs on celestial objects, I'm calling Titan and Europa.

Whoa there. Pick one dib, this isn't a free for all.

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-01, 06:51 PM
Whoa there. Pick one dib, this isn't a free for all.

Really? Could have fooled me then. Just a friendly reminder of my ownership of existence as a whole whilst I'm here.:smallwink:

Zain
2010-12-01, 07:35 PM
I call rain. So anyone who has ever been rained on, pay up:smallannoyed::smalltongue:

AstralFire
2010-12-02, 11:25 AM
I call rain. So anyone who has ever been rained on, pay up:smallannoyed::smalltongue:

I don't want to rain on your parade, but you'll have to take a rain check on that and rein in your claim; because this is the end of your reign over rain.

Starbuck_II
2010-12-02, 12:57 PM

Can we sue for water damage? There are many times I don't want rain.

pendell
2010-12-02, 02:15 PM

Uh.

I'm a cyborg.

YEAH.

Cyborg. There we go.

I thought ye were Scots, and ye woorre a kilt. No' a skirt, lass/lad/cyborg/alien/other. KILT.

:Bagpipes skirl:

Tongue in cheek,

Brian P.

Zain
2010-12-02, 04:56 PM
Can we sue for water damage? There are many times I don't want rain.

No, by being rained on you accepted Liability :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-12-02, 05:57 PM
No, by being rained on you accepted Liability :smalltongue:
I'm sorry, I never signed that waiver. Also, have you completed your licensing agreement with whoever claims water, hydrogen, and/or oxygen? :smallamused:

Haruki-kun
2010-12-02, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry, I never signed that waiver. Also, have you completed your licensing agreement with whoever claims water, hydrogen, and/or oxygen? :smallamused:

I own all Protons in the world. I'm positive.

Cealocanth
2010-12-02, 06:34 PM
I think I'll claim the Milky Way, save for those small parts owned by others.

Zain
2010-12-02, 10:20 PM
I may need to reevaluate my position:smalleek:

The_Admiral
2010-12-03, 01:25 AM
I claim the universe except for that small galaxy someone already claimed

Boci
2010-12-03, 01:26 AM

How exactly do you plan to benefit from that?

Jokasti
2010-12-03, 01:30 AM

I already own all Space.
So everyone here owning something physical must pay tribute to me.

The_Admiral
2010-12-03, 01:30 AM
Not me my relative a few millennium down the line when intergalactic travel becomes a reality :smallbiggrin:

Hawkfrost000
2010-12-03, 02:02 AM
i cant belive no one has though of this yet

i claim energy! :smallcool:

and given E=mc2 i retroactively assume control of everything up to and including the 3rd dimension (time is too complicated for me, imagine the paperwork for black holes alone!:smalleek:).

so not only do you all have to pay me but so does this lady, her star (which i technically own) is producing energy and i demand 1 cent per joule (i'm making trillions with the sun alone)

this will be cool :smallcool: yet also very hot given that i own infrared :smalltongue:

i apologize for the lack of decent puns

DM

Griever
2010-12-03, 02:53 AM
First non-mom I've ever heard of to have a sun.

Jade_Tarem
2010-12-03, 03:10 AM
Fine, but if she tries to enforce this fee, I'm going to have to insist that she pay royalties for using cellular mitosis, a process that I patented five minutes ago.

Jokasti
2010-12-03, 03:11 AM
First non-mom I've ever heard of to have a sun.

What about fathers? :smallconfused:

lesser_minion
2010-12-03, 07:09 AM
i cant belive no one has though of this yet

i claim energy! :smallcool:

Actually, it's the other way round. Your claim is denied since it includes things that have already been claimed (several different sorts of matter, as well as entropy).

And since I control entropy, you can't actually get anything useful out of your claim once you've made any exceptions you need.

Although why this particular line of discussion has continued when I think we already proved the point is beyond me.

Asta Kask
2010-12-03, 07:21 AM
What about fathers? :smallconfused:

Oh, we're not let into the presence of the kids lest we eat them.

Or was that hamsters? :smallconfused:

Starbuck_II
2010-12-03, 10:46 AM
I own dark Matter. :smallbiggrin:

Amiel
2010-12-03, 05:27 PM
I own all Space and Time, and Everything, especially the number 42; did I mention Time?

For all mechanical, electrical and technological faults, we can blame her.
For causing skin cancer, we can blame her.
For causing drought and depriving farmers of their livelihood, we can blame her.
For killing livestock, wildlife and flora, we can blame her.
There's a lot more we can lay at her feet if she becomes the true owner of the sun.

She'll not only run out of money, she'll need to repay it thousand-fold.

Runestar
2010-12-03, 10:50 PM
Please, have mercy everyone. My stomach is killing me...:smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-12-04, 02:12 PM
Please, have mercy everyone. My stomach is killing me...:smalltongue:

I claim thy stomach! I have uses for such a murdering tool...:smallamused: