PDA

View Full Version : Question: transferring weapon enhancements

Barbarian MD
2010-11-28, 11:10 AM
Anyone know of any methods (rules-legal or homebrew) of transferring the magical enhancement(s) of one weapon to another? Couldn't find anything in the archives, and I figured if anyone could figure it out, someone here could.

Thanks!

Fawsto
2010-11-28, 11:21 AM
The closest thing I could find is the Artificer's Class Ability.

They can "decompose" a magical Item and use the XP absorbed to create something new.

This means that a powerful enough artificer could "transfer" magical properties if he had access to the spells normaly involved.

Greenish
2010-11-28, 11:27 AM
This means that a powerful enough artificer could "transfer" magical properties if he had access to the spells normaly involved.Of course, artificers don't have access to any spells via the normal routes, but fake them with UMD.

Escheton
2010-11-28, 11:31 AM
You could sacrifice the weapon for your kensei weapon, or legacy weapon or whatever.

You could use a lvl 1 spell or +2 enhancement to just turn the weapon into another weapon for a short time.

Fawsto
2010-11-28, 11:38 AM
Of course, artificers don't have access to any spells via the normal routes, but fake them with UMD.

Yeah, I meant that :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-11-28, 05:26 PM
Dragonshard Pommel Stone (Forge of War p. 121) is probably what you're looking for. Enchant the stone, then attach it to whatever weapon you like.

Ancestral Relic feat (BoED p. 39) or Ancestral Daisho (OA p. 21) might also work... essentially, you sacrifice a magic item worth X to enchant your chosen weapon for the same amount X (actually, X = the difference between the two prices).

Thurbane
2010-11-28, 08:22 PM
I might be thinking 2E, but isn't there a high(ish) level spell somewhere that does exactly this?

Other than that, could you Dispel Magic the weapon to render it inert for a couple of rounds, the PAO it into another weapon type?

Barbarian MD
2010-11-28, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Basically, we found an awesome weapon in the loot, but my character already has a pretty sweet adamantium one, and I'm loathe to drop the adamantium weapon for one with a larger magic bonus.

Yeah, a couple of those might work. I'll need to look into that feat. Unfortunately, we're not high enough level to PAO yet, but that's an excellent suggestion.