PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class, PEACH] The Attuned Warrior

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 12:40 PM
A tier four (hopefully) ToB base class focusing on a single discipline.

The Attuned Warrior

The attuned warrior is a Wisdom-based class that focuses on the Tome of Battle Diamond Mind discipline.

Class Skills: Autohypnosis* (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Iaijutsu Focus** (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+Int modifier
*From the Expanded Psionics Handbook. Can also be found in the d20 SRD.
**From Oriental Adventures. I'm not actually familiar with this skill, but from what I hear about it, it matches the concept of the attuned warrior well.

{table]Level|Base Attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Maneuvers Known/Readied|Stances
1st|+1|+0|+2|+2|Attuned Fighting (attacks)|2/1|1
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+3|Zen Strike +1d10|2/1|1
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+3|Attuned Fighting (Initiative)|3/1|2
4th|+4|+1|+4|+4|Zen Strike +2d10|3/2|2
5th|+5|+1|+4|+4|Perfected Skill|4/2|2
6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+5|Zen Strike +3d10|4/2|2
7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+5|-|5/3|2
8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+6|Zen Strike +4d10|5/3|2
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+6|Attuned Fighting (damage)|6/3|3
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+7|Perfected Skill, Zen Strike +5d10|6/4|3
11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+7|Attuned Fighting (AC)|7/4|3
12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+8|Zen Strike +6d10|7/4|3
13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+8|Attuned Fighting (ranged damage)|8/5|3
14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+9|Zen Strike +7d10|8/5|3
15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+9|Perfected Skill|9/5|4
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+10|Zen Strike +8d10|9/6|4
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|-|10/6|4
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Zen Strike +9d10|10/6|4
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Ultimate Concentration|11/7|4
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Enlightened Meditating, Perfected Skill, Zen Strike +10d10|11/7|4[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An attuned warrior is proficient with simple and martial weapons, and with light armor, but not with shields.

Maneuvers: At first level, an attuned warrior knows two maneuvers from the Diamond Mind discipline and one discipline of the attuned warrior's choice. He or she may choose one of those maneuvers to ready for the day by meditating for half an hour in the morning. As the warrior gains levels, he or she also gains more maneuvers known (but only from Diamond Mind and the other martial discipline selected at first level), and he or she may choose more maneuvers to ready so that they are available to be used over the course of the day. The attuned warrior may execute the maneuvers he or she has readied at any time. Once a maneuver is used in an encounter, it is expended and may not be used in the encounter again. The attuned warrior may spend a full-round action doing nothing but concentrating on a maneuver he or she has expended to ready it again and have it available in the encounter until it is re-expended.
An attuned warrior always begins an encounter with all maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times he or she has used them.

Stances: A stance is a unique kind of maneuver. An attuned warrior may go into a stance or switch between stances as a swift action, and the warrior remains in a stance even when not in combat. A stance is not expended once it is used.

Attuned Fighting (attacks): An attuned warrior of 1st level or higher may substitute Wisdom for Strength when making melee attack rolls, or Dexterity for ranged attack rolls.

Zen Strike: Starting at 2nd level, an attuned warrior may spend a move action Concentrating (Concentration DC 15). If the warrior immediately after uses a standard action to make an attack, and if that attack is successful, that attack (and only that attack) deals the number of extra d10s of damage shown on the table. This may be used in conjunction with either a melee attack or a maneuver.

Attuned Fighting (Initiative): A 3th level attuned warrior may substitute Wisdom for Dexterity on Initiative checks.

Perfected Skill: At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, an attuned warrior gains an untyped bonus to a skill that the warrior is trained in equal to the warrior's Wisdom modifier.

Attuned Fighting (damage): When an attuned warrior reaches 9th level, he or she adds his or her Wisdom bonus to melee damage rolls instead of his or her Strength bonus.

Attuned Fighting (AC): Upon reaching 11th level, an attuned warrior substitutes his or her Dexterity bonus to AC for his or her Wisdom bonus.

Attuned Fighting (ranged damage): A 13th level attuned warrior may add his Wisdom modifier to ranged damage rolls.

Ultimate Concentration: A 19th level attuned warrior may always take 10 on Concentration checks, whether or not circumstances would otherwise prevent the warrior from doing so.

Enlightened Meditating: At 20th level, an attuned warrior meditating on which maneuvers to ready may prolong his or her meditation to a total length of one hour in order to gain one of the following benefits.

A +2 bonus to attack rolls for the entire day.
A +2 bonus to armor class for the entire day.
A +2 bonus to all saves for the entire day.
A +2 bonus to all skills for the entire day.

--

Thanks in advance for the PEACH!

Siosilvar
2010-11-28, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure about the capstone. Do you think it's too powerful?

I would not be worried about "powerful" with that capstone if I were you.

Does Zen Strike also apply to, well, Strikes?

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 12:50 PM
I would not be worried about "powerful" with that capstone if I were you.

Does Zen Strike also apply to, well, Strikes?

Yes, I believe that I specified that it was usable with maneuvers.

EDIT: Yeah, here it is:

This may be used in conjunction with either a melee attack or a maneuver.

gkathellar
2010-11-28, 02:18 PM
Attuned Fighting makes this the best dip since olive oil. Every wisdom-based melee character would want it.

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 02:19 PM
Attuned Fighting makes this the best dip since olive oil. Every wisdom-based melee character would want it.

Is that a good thing, or does it need toning down? (After all, two levels of monk is also an amazing dip.)

gkathellar
2010-11-28, 03:27 PM
Two levels of monk gives you Wisdom to AC while unarmored and evasion. One level of this gives you Wisdom to AC, Attack, Damage and Initiative while wearing light armor. Dip value = too high.

absolmorph
2010-11-28, 04:23 PM
Two levels of monk gives you Wisdom to AC while unarmored and evasion. One level of this gives you Wisdom to AC, Attack, Damage and Initiative while wearing light armor. Dip value = too high.
It doesn't affect damage, actually. Only the attack roll. He even explicitly says attack rolls.
But, yeah, dip value is too high. Even if this replaces Dex, rather than adding to it. Have it be an ability that is added throughout the class. Start with attacks or AC.

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 07:12 PM
OK, I've made some changes. Specifically, I've spread Attuned Fighting out over several levels (and made it affect damage). Now how does it look?

absolmorph
2010-11-28, 07:20 PM
Try using Attuned Fighting to fill in some of the dead levels.

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 07:39 PM
Try using Attuned Fighting to fill in some of the dead levels.

Well, keep in mind that at those dead levels, he's gaining a whole new level of Diamond Mind maneuvers. But even so, you raise a good point. I'll change it.

absolmorph
2010-11-28, 08:09 PM
Alright, next up: give them a bit more diversity. As of right now, there's not much room for difference between two attuned warriors. I understand that they focus on Diamond Mind, but there are 4 stances in Diamond Mind (at levels 1, 3, 5 and 8; you might want to move the second stance back a level so they can get it, by the way).
A few things could remedy this:

Adding a discipline.
Allowing them to pick up maneuvers from other disciplines at certain levels.
Allowing them to pick up stances from other disciplines at certain levels.
Adding two disciplines and giving them a bonus with Diamond Mind.

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 08:26 PM
Alright, next up: give them a bit more diversity. As of right now, there's not much room for difference between two attuned warriors. I understand that they focus on Diamond Mind, but there are 4 stances in Diamond Mind (at levels 1, 3, 5 and 8; you might want to move the second stance back a level so they can get it, by the way).
A few things could remedy this:

Adding a discipline.
Allowing them to pick up maneuvers from other disciplines at certain levels.
Allowing them to pick up stances from other disciplines at certain levels.
Adding two disciplines and giving them a bonus with Diamond Mind.

Well, versatility is exactly what I was trying to avoid here. I'm not trying to balance this against other martial adepts. I don't know if you're familiar with the tier system (if you're not, it can be found here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5293.0) - believe me, it's worth your time to read), which is a system that evaluates classes based on their versatility. I was aiming for tier four with this class (which is "good at doing one thing very well, but not much else, or good at doing multiple things adequately").
I'm pretty sure adding disciplines would drag the attuned warrior to close to tier three (which isn't that bad in itself, but it's not what I was aiming for), although I'd be perfectly willing to add a discipline if you think I could maintain this as a tier four class. I designed this because I love Tome of Battle but I prefer a tier four power level.
Anyway, what I will do is edit their stance progression so that they gain stances at appropriate levels, as you suggested.

absolmorph
2010-11-28, 08:30 PM
I'm not suggesting that you allow each attuned warrior to be versatile.
I'm suggesting that you allow each attuned warrior to be more distinct from his peers. You could leave the maneuvers entirely as they are and add a second discipline (Setting Sun could work) and it would mean there's room for making your attuned warrior stand out from the rest in some way.
Make the class as a whole less standard; right now, you could just have the stances granted as class features.

Timeless Error
2010-11-28, 08:37 PM
I'm not suggesting that you allow each attuned warrior to be versatile.
I'm suggesting that you allow each attuned warrior to be more distinct from his peers. You could leave the maneuvers entirely as they are and add a second discipline (Setting Sun could work) and it would mean there's room for making your attuned warrior stand out from the rest in some way.
Make the class as a whole less standard; right now, you could just have the stances granted as class features.

OK, that makes sense. How about they may also select maneuvers from a discipline of their choice?

absolmorph
2010-11-28, 09:27 PM
OK, that makes sense. How about they may also select maneuvers from a discipline of their choice?
That also works.
Make sure to note that they gain it's key skill as a class skill.

Lix Lorn
2010-11-29, 07:13 AM
You could make it like Advanced Learning for Warmages and the like: At certain levels, they choose one manouever they qualify for from another discipline. (shrugs)