PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Ideas for a mad scientist themed wizard.

maniakmastah
2010-11-28, 02:15 PM
Hey y'all, makin' a thread to here your suggestions and ideas for building a wizard with more of a mad scientist bent to him than your average power hungry wizard. Sort of a mix of Desty Nova and Dr Moreau, obsessed with unlocking all the secrets of the body.

I wanna hear your suggestions for classes (Fleshwarper is what i originally wanted to go for, but would like other ideas), feats (would be my first wizard character), spells, and items, along with any other suggestions. Can't wait to hear from y'all.

DukeofDellot
2010-11-28, 04:53 PM
I've seen a player (And used one as an NPC) based off of Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde...

See if your GM will allow the Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) from Pathfinder. It's not nearly as over the top as a full spellcaster to prestige class, but it does all the "Mutate myself to a macho man and beat the hell out of my opponent", "I laugh maniacally as I set my opponents on fire", and the ever entertaining, "Drink up everyone, it builds strong bones!" followed by having half the party turn into dragons.

mucat
2010-11-28, 05:13 PM
For a biologically-based mad scientist, you could take lots of item-creation feats (or go all-out on that route and play an Artificer) and ask your DM to let you reflavor the items into biologically engineered abominations.

It works even with simple, low-level items. Potions could be small, jellyfish-like creatures that brew the magically charged liquids inside their own body; you take the potion by swallowing the jellyfish. Scrolls? You've learned to imprint a mouse brain (either undead or live and floating in a vial of nutrients) with a single spell; activating it takes a command word and a primitive mental link (requiring exactly the same effort as activating a normal scroll) and burns out the brain as it channels more energy than it was ever meant to handle.

And so on; wands, womdrous items, and even some types of weapons and armor could be made biological in nature. (And you can place them anywhere you want on the scale of elegant genetically engineered creations through horrible travesties of life that should never exist outside of nightmares.)

maniakmastah
2010-11-28, 06:54 PM
Sounds good so far, one of things that i think would be defining of him would be not only a desire to unlock the secrets of the body, but to improve it, just like Fabius Bile of the Emperor's Children. And that usually means grafting, studying and adventuring in search of new parts and knowledge needed to enhance his ability to improve the flesh. I'd like some offense based spell suggestions, but mainly focusing on altering the flesh. It's one of the reasons i like Fleshwarper, since that fits the mad scientist role to a tee.

Anything else you guys can think of, please feel free to tell me, anything will be considered and taken.