PDA

View Full Version : La Résistance

Adamaro
2010-11-28, 03:19 PM
In my campaign-world an interesting thing happened. In a N/NG town a trader appeared, trying to sell slaves and black onyx and the entire thing ended in complete obliteration of local group of paladins and temple of Pelor with Pelors' servants inside (Paladins vs. lvl 20 optimized wizard AND optimized lvl 18 druid).
Wizard killed everyone involved and druid made trees explode from ruins of a temple. Soon, slave market was blossoming, onix was being brought into the city. Not a long time after an enormous temple to Hextor was raised in this city, LE militia was enforcing laws, espionage network was established to root out all insurgents and a massive office-building-fortress was built to enable all that blossoming business to be backed up by significant birocratic apparatus. Profits quadrupled, freedoms dropped to all time zero.
In these time a new citizen-type was introduced - the "contractors". In this city there is no long any prisons, trials, etc. Anybody violating the law/causing trouble is enslaved for a period of years. Family can buy him back, but fees are extreme. So-acquired slaves gave another boost to economy and city is stronger then ever before.
Still, with paladins and clerics dead, new "gestalt" classes appeared - many NG, LG and even CG people noticed strange powers. Especially those, connected in "la resistonce", an organization working against the merchant guild and tyrannic militia.

I'd like some good ideas regarding this organization.

1st, the name. I was thinking the Forested temple, but that's kind of silly, so, ya ... good ideas are much appreciated.

2nd, how do you think that such an organization would fight the system? How does "terrorism" of D&D look?

3rd. What skills should such a member have? I was thinking Bluff, Disguise self, as for spells Mind blank, Nondetection ... Generally, a rogue.

hamishspence
2010-11-28, 03:25 PM
Even if you give them a name, like "The Children of Freedom" or something similar, the players may end up calling it "La Resistance" anyway.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 03:25 PM
I would advise they do it very, very far away and pick up levels and strength on a world-spanning quest through which they learn to believe in themselves, the true meaning of sacrifice, and the power of a good soundtrack.

Because.

You know.

Wizard 20 and Druid 18.

oxybe
2010-11-28, 04:07 PM
wait, a rag-tag group of resistance VS evil empire? we use the good 'ol FF VI default: the returners. it's a classy classic.

as for D&D terrorism, it really depends on the on the system you're trying to overthrow and their methods.

in a "big brother" society, the best way is most likely to nuke it from orbit or make the whole thing more of a hassle to maintain then it needs to be.
-find a way to cut their access to trade routes or open other (much safer/profitable) routes.
-weaken the working/slave caste somehow. either by freeing them or, if you feel evil, killing them. alternatively, rally them to rebel.
-destroy the resources they have. spoil the food, dirty the water, crack their stone, rust their metals, burn their city officials, etc...