PDA

View Full Version : Good Offensive Cleric Spells?

Skjaldbakka
2010-11-28, 03:31 PM
I'm looking for some good options for offensive cleric spells. I know buffs, healing, and status effect removal is more their fortay, but my cleric is quickly turning into my sorcerer from the last campaign I was in (buff, buff, dispel enemy buffs, debuff).

Vulaas
2010-11-28, 03:32 PM
Streamers (from Shining South) is a great one. Otherwise, there are a few utility ones, but it really mostly depends on your domains.

jguy
2010-11-28, 03:34 PM
Poison, Bestow Curse, Blindness/Deafness, Inflict Critical Wounds, Flamestrike, Divine Power + Righteous Might and hit things really hard

HunterOfJello
2010-11-28, 03:46 PM
What spell level?

Clutch of Orcus, Bestow Curse, and their long list of status effecting spells are highly useful in an offensive setting.

Also, don't forget the Zen Archery feat.

Skjaldbakka
2010-11-28, 03:50 PM
The campaign is unlikely to go past 12th level or so, so 1st-6th.

nedz
2010-11-28, 03:50 PM
You can help yourself out by choosing a good domain. There are plenty to choose from which give offensive spells, take your pick.

Skjaldbakka
2010-11-28, 03:59 PM
I've already been playing the character. I have the Fate and Liberation domains (and will be picking up the Balance domain with PrC). The Domain powers are ok, but the domain spells... not so much.

cdrcjsn
2010-11-28, 04:12 PM
Plane Shift used offensively never stops being funny to me.

Likewise, summoning several Avorals (via trickery domain Time Stop and multiple Monster Summonings) and having them use their lay on hands power to kill a huge undead monstrosity in one round.

But at low levels, Silence is a huge deal. You never need to learn how to counterspell the right way if you have Silence memorized (or on a scroll) and readied to silence a caster as they start casting (interrupts them and they lose the action and spell).

Endarire
2010-11-28, 07:44 PM
Are we talking buffs to turn you into a melee creature? Are we talking crowd controls to turn your foes into a comedy of errors? Are we talking blasty spells?

Jack_Simth
2010-11-28, 07:57 PM
Plane Shift used offensively never stops being funny to me.Yeah... it's got a few pesky things with it, though:
1) You don't get the target's loots.
2) Touch range.
3) You don't get any treasure the target was carrying.

But at low levels, Silence is a huge deal. You never need to learn how to counterspell the right way if you have Silence memorized (or on a scroll) and readied to silence a caster as they start casting (interrupts them and they lose the action and spell).Well... potentially. Different DM's will read the spell in different ways - for some, it'll be a no-save silence negation if you don't target anyone directly. For others, anyone who wants to try and talk gets a save:

Upon the casting of this spell, complete silence prevails in the affected area. All sound is stopped: Conversation is impossible, spells with verbal components cannot be cast, and no noise whatsoever issues from, enters, or passes through the area. The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary unless cast on a mobile object. The spell can be centered on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. An unwilling creature can attempt a Will save to negate the spell and can use spell resistance, if any. Items in a creature’s possession or magic items that emit sound receive the benefits of saves and spell resistance, but unattended objects and points in space do not. This spell provides a defense against sonic or language-based attacks. (colors added for reference)

Some DM's will say that the Dark Green section, in context, only applies to the case of invoking the red clause - so if you cast it on the square the opposing caster is in, the caster can't cast verbal spells, and gets neither save nor SR. Others will look at the navy section, and decide that in context, it looks like anyone who needs to make sound can make a save to avoid the effects, provided they're in the area.

So check with your DM to see which type is in play... although as it's just a 2nd level spell, and shuts down 90% of spellcasting, "anyone who needs to make sound can make a save to avoid the effects" is probably the most balanced, in terms of what other spells of the level can do.