PDA

View Full Version : Druid Build: Racial HD and VoP in Wildshape.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-28, 04:31 PM
I'm trying to generate a character that represents an exemplar of nature's wrath via elemental fury. I have a few questions about ambiguous interactions with some choices I'm going to make.

I would like to play an Anthropomorphic Ape Druid with Vow of Poverty. The idea is to be a character that focuses on asceticism and is not familiar with the contrivances of civilization.

1.) The Anthropomorphic Ape template from Savage species has a +0 La and 2 racial HD, what implications does this have for a level 1 character? Would I be a Druid 1 with 2d8 HD instead of my normal starting HD or do I have to be ECL 2 to use this?

2.) I have heard that VoP isn't that great past level 6-8 and I agree, since you start getting items to replicate the stat boosts plus you get scrolls, potions, wands, and staves. But since Druids are pretty good to start with I don't think this would be too much of a drain to power level.

My main question about this is do the benefits still apply during Wildshape? and is there something better to use that simulates the shunnung of "manufactured" items (aside from crafting them all myself)?

3.) I want to focus on the elemental power side of nature and will be using the Elemental Companion ACF, but I have yet to find a good Wildshape ACF, are the PHB2 and UA the only variants on this?

4.) If I dip into a ToB class, will I be able to use maneuvers while Wildshaped?

Also, if anyone can recommend any good PrCs that don't lose too much spellcasting, advance wildshape/companion, and aren't Planar Shepher I would be very grateful.

Thank you for any help you can give.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-28, 05:03 PM
1.) The Anthropomorphic Ape template from Savage species has a +0 La and 2 racial HD, what implications does this have for a level 1 character? Would I be a Druid 1 with 2d8 HD instead of my normal starting HD or do I have to be ECL 2 to use this?

You have to be ECL 2 to play the race, and ECL 3 to take any class levels.

Kaww
2010-11-28, 05:10 PM
I'm trying to generate a character that represents an exemplar of nature's wrath via elemental fury. I have a few questions about ambiguous interactions with some choices I'm going to make.

I would like to play an Anthropomorphic Ape Druid with Vow of Poverty. The idea is to be a character that focuses on asceticism and is not familiar with the contrivances of civilization.

2.) I have heard that VoP isn't that great past level 6-8 and I agree, since you start getting items to replicate the stat boosts plus you get scrolls, potions, wands, and staves. But since Druids are pretty good to start with I don't think this would be too much of a drain to power level.

My main question about this is do the benefits still apply during Wildshape? and is there something better to use that simulates the shunnung of "manufactured" items (aside from crafting them all myself)?

3.) I want to focus on the elemental power side of nature and will be using the Elemental Companion ACF, but I have yet to find a good Wildshape ACF, are the PHB2 and UA the only variants on this?

4.) If I dip into a ToB class, will I be able to use maneuvers while Wildshaped?

Also, if anyone can recommend any good PrCs that don't lose too much spellcasting, advance wildshape/companion, and aren't Planar Shepher I would be very grateful.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Polymorphed creatures keep original form's su and ex. Wildshape is a spec. version of polymorph.
3) From what I remember yes.
4) Again yes, since maneuvers are ether su or ex.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-28, 06:16 PM
You have to be ECL 2 to play the race, and ECL 3 to take any class levels.
So, assuming the party starts at ECL 3 are the racial HD subject to the level buyoff system or is that only for LAs?

Polymorphed creatures keep original form's su and ex. Wildshape is a spec. version of polymorph.
3) From what I remember yes.
4) Again yes, since maneuvers are ether su or ex.
Thank you for the clarifications.

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 06:25 PM
So, assuming the party starts at ECL 3 are the racial HD subject to the level buyoff system or is that only for LAs?

It's only for LAs.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-28, 07:18 PM
It's only for LAs.

Is there any way of making up those 2 caster levels?

AstralFire
2010-11-28, 07:22 PM
the caster levels: practiced manifester.

Actually getting to 9th level spells at a normal rate, there are no general solutions I'm aware of, just some very specific loopholes and I'm not sure there is one for your case.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-28, 08:13 PM

Actually getting to 9th level spells at a normal rate, there are no general solutions I'm aware of, just some very specific loopholes and I'm not sure there is one for your case.

Alright then, thank you.

Runestar
2010-11-28, 08:29 PM
Shapeshift ACP (PHB2) would be useful with VOP (since none of your gear normally carries over) and should mesh nicely with the physical stats of your druid (assuming you didn't dump them).

molten_dragon
2010-11-28, 08:43 PM
Shapeshift ACP (PHB2) would be useful with VOP (since none of your gear normally carries over) and should mesh nicely with the physical stats of your druid (assuming you didn't dump them).

Keep in mind that if you decide to go this route, it nerfs your character rather severely (you lose access to your animal companion, you can't cast spells while shapeshifted, and for the most part the forms are actually inferior to actually wild-shaping into animals).

Also note that VoP works just as well with normal wildshape as it does with the shapeshift variant.

As far as finding a 'good' wildshape variant, I'm unaware of any that really offer anywhere near the same kind of power and versatility as wildshape itself.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-11-28, 10:05 PM

Very cheesy tactic:

Start Anthro Ape Druid 1; 2 RHD, 1 Druid

Now get level drained two levels: 1 RHD

Now have someone cast Restoration. Your druid level, being your "first class level" can replace the one RHD: 1 Druid

Have Restoration cast twice more to bring you back up to third level...now, however, all of your levels are in Druid: 3 Druid.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-28, 10:18 PM
Very cheesy tactic:

Start Anthro Ape Druid 1; 2 RHD, 1 Druid

Now get level drained two levels: 1 RHD

Now have someone cast Restoration. Your druid level, being your "first class level" can replace the one RHD: 1 Druid

Have Restoration cast twice more to bring you back up to third level...now, however, all of your levels are in Druid: 3 Druid.

I like this, but I was thinking about asking my DM to let me ditch my racial HD and just take 1st level in druid normally with the Ape template, then take an exp penalty equal to LA buyoff of 2 at appropriate levels.