PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] looking for a monster

Gnaritas
2010-11-28, 05:05 PM
I am looking for a flying animal in the mountains for a random encounter.
Can be any book, magazine,...
CR 4 to 12

I currently have a roc at CR 9, but i was wondering if there are other options i can look into.

unimaginable
2010-11-28, 05:13 PM
Advanced hippogriff? Griffon...

Galsiah
2010-11-28, 05:35 PM
Young dragons are always an option, if you're so inclined. Wyverns are about that CR as well. Air elementals fly and some fall into that CR range as well.

Gnaritas
2010-11-28, 05:37 PM
I was just looking at the roc and when should they encounter it, it seems like a tough one for the party.
Given their description they (a pair) will try to snatch one of the party-members. With their 207 HP i think they can manage to get close enough and their grapple will be hard to resist. Once they snatched someone they will leave combat and return to their nest with their prey.
It's just that when i play this encounter in my head, it seems the party will not have many options to prevent it. There will probably be 3 melee-ers who will not be that well equipped for this encounter. One archer and one half cleric/monk.
The Cleric might have a usefull save or suck spell, not even sure there. The archer can do some damage, but not nearly enough to kill the roc in a few rounds. With their 15 ft reach i think the rocs should be able to keep out of melee range.
Is this CR 11 encounter too hard for these 4 lvl 9's and 1 lvl 10? Am i missing something?

Gnaritas
2010-11-28, 05:38 PM
Oh and for the original post, i am looking for animals

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-28, 06:14 PM
Use the Winged Creature template from Savage Species with anything you want. I'd throw it on some (advanced) Dire Apes and put them in the little Wizard of Oz outfits. A few Winged Dire Snakes (MM2) would also be quite challenging.

There's a CR 8 flying dinosaur in MM2, check the update booklet (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) for what may have changed going into 3.5. It definitely switched from a Beast to an Animal along with every other type of dinosaur.

A Giant Wasp (MM) advanced to 9 HD would be CR 5, at 15 HD it would be CR 6 and extremely tough. Vermin =/= Animal, but it's fairly close.

A Razor Boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) is CR 10, Magical Beast but again pretty close. It's another extremely hard to kill opponent, and extremely dangerous with its vorpal tusks.