PDA

View Full Version : You know you think about D&D too much when...

bartman
2010-11-28, 06:58 PM
I subscribe to Make magazine on my google homepage. One of their latest blog posts was this: How To Make An Inverting Top (http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/11/how-to_make_an_inverting_top.html).

The firwt thing that popped into my head when he was glueing the marbles together was "Oh so they are making a d4 out of marbles"...

What have you done that proves D&D (or any RPG really) is on your mind way too much?

NekoJoker
2010-11-28, 07:04 PM
Watching an action movie and unconsciously trying to figure out the main character's build progression

Stallion
2010-11-28, 07:08 PM
Start making build progressions out of any character from comic books or movies you've seen.
Start making build progressions out for real people, both living and deceased.

Galsiah
2010-11-28, 07:08 PM
I woke up one morning, and while walking to the bathroom in my still half-asleep state, I started muttering about spell slots and caster level. Turns out I had been dreaming about D&D.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-28, 07:25 PM
When, at a play practice for The Hobbit, a book that inspired the freaking game, the cast members (half of which play D&D) say, "That joke went too far." (Something about Dice and Gandalf's progression.)

Scoot
2010-11-28, 07:58 PM
I relate things that I do to skill checks.

"Rolled a 1 on my sense motive today:smallsigh:"

"Rolled high on Dip, got me a shiny charmander."

"I can't make that climb check"

And so on.

I also try to insert little bits into my essays at school. (Saves/Skills/Classes/Etc)

Although this only works when the teacher knows when you're talking about. Otherwise I just get marked down for "Slang".

Tvtyrant
2010-11-28, 08:02 PM
...you find yourself wondering if you could make a wizard that uses algorithms as a base class.

Grey Watcher
2010-11-28, 08:03 PM
I'm surprised I still remember it, but I had a dream once about an NPC Prestige class that was specifically meant to emulate the whole damsel-in-distress shtick. Class features included things like getting captured by a dark knight and, at a higher level getting captured by a dragon. I think there was also some stuff aimed at taking down and even usurping your captor in there, along the lines of the Princess in 8-Bit Theatre. Pretty good recollection for a dream from half a decade ago.....

mucat
2010-11-28, 08:15 PM
I'm surprised I still remember it, but I had a dream once about an NPC Prestige class that was specifically meant to emulate the whole damsel-in-distress shtick. Class features included things like getting captured by a dark knight and, at a higher level getting captured by a dragon. I think there was also some stuff aimed at taking down and even usurping your captor in there, along the lines of the Princess in 8-Bit Theatre. Pretty good recollection for a dream from half a decade ago.....

Heh. If I'm ever running a fourth-wall breaking campaign (where the players can get an idea of other people's character builds) then that class will totally exist. :smallsmile:

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-28, 08:16 PM
My friends at college and I talked about making or failing our spot/listen/search checks all the time.

I always try to figure out what alignment I think characters from anime/TV shows/movies are. Examples...

Sesshoumaru: LE, totally. And he's still awesome. Perfect example of an evil character who actually cares about someone.

Azula: Completely different kind of LE (until she goes insane, anyway).

Zhalath
2010-11-28, 08:17 PM
Well, there was that time I said I would do something for someone (babysitting), but I made plans with someone else (movie with friends), so I took the obvious third option.

I described it as "keeping my paladin powers".

Now, if you excuse me, I have Knowledge (economics) checks to make, followed by Craft (writing).

Reynard
2010-11-28, 08:18 PM
You fully understand the sodding grapple rules. :smallsigh:

Keinnicht
2010-11-28, 08:23 PM
I was sitting on the toilet, when I thought:

"Man, who the hell makes Stones of Weight? Probably that same jerk who makes that fake gum dispenser that shocks you."

Echoes
2010-11-28, 08:28 PM
you plan hypothetical fights that could break out in the hallway you are walking down (a la xkcd (http://xkcd.com/337/)), using the D&D combat rules.

"Okay, that guy with the headphones can't make it to me in a single surprise round, and I can drop my backpack as a free action. His AC is probably low enough I could use the chair as an improvised weapon..."

WarKitty
2010-11-28, 08:31 PM
When you're getting dressed for a night out, and start talking about the cha enhancement bonuses versus the dex penalties of your outfit.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-28, 08:34 PM
Dear Boccob, I've done almost all of the above. :smalleek:

and when your swearing includes things like dear (insert D&D deity), and curse you to baator.

mucat
2010-11-28, 08:35 PM
you plan hypothetical fights that could break out in the hallway you are walking down (a la xkcd (http://xkcd.com/337/)), using the D&D combat rules.

"Okay, that guy with the headphones can't make it to me in a single surprise round, and I can drop my backpack as a free action. His AC is probably low enough I could use the chair as an improvised weapon..."
You were in that hallway, wearing headphones, but you didn't attack Echoes because you suspected that chair had reach, and you would provoke an AoO..

prufock
2010-11-28, 08:37 PM
You know you think about D&D too much when... you make a forum post with the subject line "You know you think about D&D too much when..."

I'd say that's a dead giveaway!

molten_dragon
2010-11-28, 08:38 PM
When you're watching a football game, and you constantly think about how much easier it would be if the players had access to greater dimension door.

Callista
2010-11-28, 09:00 PM
Well, if you had access to Dimensional Anchor, then it would make sense for the first team to cast it on the ball as soon as they saw anyone going for the Dimension Door. Depending on how many Anchors you had, you'd probably want to try to hit the entire opposing team, which should work pretty well because football players are big on CON and STR and like most physical/fighter types, probably don't have really good Will saves... of course, they'd be trying to hit your team, too, so depending on how many spells stuck, you might have a huge advantage or disadvantage. Considering that Dimensional Anchor has a much longer duration than Greater Dimension Door, you'd probably end up with a magical game overlaying the physical one, with Anchor preventing teleport just like a tackle prevents you from running...

...yeah, I think about D&D too much.

AshDesert
2010-11-28, 09:02 PM
When wake up in the middle night and need to get a pad of paper because you just dreamt of a great build to use for the character concept you've had floating in your mind the last couple of days. This happens to me about once every few weeks.

arguskos
2010-11-28, 09:06 PM
You have been known to actively pray to D&D deities.

You use cager slang.

When someone asks you how your day was, and you're in a bad mood, you snap at them with "Pike it you leather-headed sod!"

You carry a dollar coin named Tyche everywhere.

You can figure out specific builds based on only hearing what they do, not how they're actually composed.

You know more info about the publishing history of D&D than anyone else you know.

You have a copy of OD&D that still has hobbits, ents, and balrogs in it.

You have no less than FIVE plans to fame and riches, all of which are predicated on you having access to a specific set of 3 spells, which differs for each plan.

Strife Warzeal
2010-11-28, 09:11 PM
You have been known to actively pray to D&D deities.

You use cager slang.

When someone asks you how your day was, and you're in a bad mood, you snap at them with "Pike it you leather-headed sod!"

You carry a dollar coin named Tyche everywhere.

You can figure out specific builds based on only hearing what they do, not how they're actually composed.

You know more info about the publishing history of D&D than anyone else you know.

You have a copy of OD&D that still has hobbits, ents, and balrogs in it.

You have no less than FIVE plans to fame and riches, all of which are predicated on you having access to a specific set of 3 spells, which differs for each plan.

Could you share these plans?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-28, 09:12 PM
You can make optimized builds without referring to your books.

You say you have failed a saving throws against dominate/charm/intimidate when you start dating someone

Have a dozen or so completed character sheets on your myth-weaver account that will most likely never be used.

Carry your dice in your school backpack.

LOTRfan
2010-11-28, 09:20 PM
Have a dozen or so completed character sheets on your myth-weaver account that will most likely never be used.

Carry your dice in your school backpack.

I'm guilty of these. :smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-28, 09:21 PM
I'm guilty of these. :smallfrown:

Me too, that's why I posted them.

yeah the myth-weaver account is the saddest part.

Kyrthain
2010-11-28, 09:23 PM
Dear Boccob, I've done almost all of the above. :smalleek:

and when your swearing includes things like dear (insert D&D deity), and curse you to baator.

And things like: "What in the nine hells is going on here!?"

Reynard
2010-11-28, 09:37 PM
And things like: "What in the nine hells is going on here!?"

Ah, but with this you can pass it off as a slightly-off Dante's Inferno reference.

Halae
2010-11-28, 09:43 PM
Ah, but with this you can pass it off as a slightly-off Dante's Inferno reference.

You could, but I don't everybody who knows me knows my love for DnD... mainly because I showed up to work one day wearing an entire set of plate-mail. When asked about it, I told them I was the paladin tonight.

arguskos
2010-11-28, 10:14 PM
Yeah, but it's a LOOOOT harder to pass off a reference to Amaunator during a conversation about paperwork. Same with Talos. Or Tymora. Or Beshaba. Or Gond. Etcetcetc.

Also, everything I've posted, I've done. :smallsigh:

@Strife Warzeal: Can't give away my plans! Never know what's gonna happen. :smallcool:

Savannah
2010-11-28, 10:40 PM
Anytime you see a cool monster in a movie/book/drawing, your second thought (after "wow, that's cool!" of course) is "I must use it against my players sometime".

Private-Prinny
2010-11-28, 10:41 PM
...you use D&D as the basis for your college admissions essay.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-11-28, 10:42 PM
I find myself constantly wishing for D&D spells... and not even the big ones, but simple cantrips. Like light, or chalkboard, from dragon mag. I'd KILL for prestidigitation! I'm also guilty of virtually everything else on this thread so far... though I don't keep my dice in my bag, that might get stolen:smalleek:. Mine stay in their pouch in my pocket.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-11-28, 10:43 PM
Whenever I see HD television, or hear it in an advert I think "Hit Dice Television? What :smallconfused:". Every. Time. That and I too am tending to do a lot of the things on this thread :smallsmile:.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-11-28, 10:44 PM
Whenever I see HD television, or hear it in an advert I think "Hit Dice Television? What :smallconfused:". Every. Time.

Lol, I've never thought that with HDTV, but I'm always confused for second when someone shortens hard drive.

BunnyMaster42
2010-11-28, 11:59 PM
The other day something happened to remind me of Fraggle Rock, and my first instinct was to try and stat out the various races from the show mentally, while at the same time trying to work out just how exactally the whole ecology of the show would work in case I ever wanted to use it in a game.

I have also uttered the phrase 'By the Burning Hate' more than once...

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-29, 12:11 AM
When you're applying rocket science to the creation of magic items and vehicles. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177571

Remmirath
2010-11-29, 12:18 AM
You see the initials CE anywhere (even for 'collector's edition'), you think 'chaotic evil'.

Whenever you see an ACO store, you misread it as AC0 and think 'that is one hard to hit store'.

You're helping somebody with their computer and need to ask what kind of printer they have, and when they respond 'HP' you stare at them, wondering for a split second why they are now talking about hit points. (Then ask them to be more specific.)

If you fail to understand those around you, you apologetically tell them you failed your Sense Motive check there.

You can make a character of any base class and race (and some that aren't) of any level up to 60th without referencing a single manual.

You can come up with a way to describe any given real life situation in D&D terms, quickly, and often do so (at least in your own head).

WarKitty
2010-11-29, 12:24 AM
Whenever you see an ACO store, you misread it as AC0 and think 'that is one hard to hit store'.

Not only are you a nerd, you are an old nerd.

Remmirath
2010-11-29, 12:29 AM

Twenty-one isn't old last I checked. I just happened to start out by playing 1st edition nonetheless. :smalltongue:

WarKitty
2010-11-29, 12:35 AM
Twenty-one isn't old last I checked. I just happened to start out by playing 1st edition nonetheless. :smalltongue:

Old in nerd terms is not measured by age. It is measured by memory.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-29, 12:43 AM

Now now, it's impolite to call a lady out on her age. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-11-29, 12:54 AM
Old in nerd terms is not measured by age. It is measured by memory.
Does that make the fact that I have an OD&D 3rd printing set not five feet away from me at this very second some ancient geezer or something? It's about as old as RPGs get. :smallconfused:

RipperOfShirts
2010-11-29, 01:25 AM
When you look at a work roster and see an encounter chart and treasure table, and catch yourself wondering what the CR of a 35 hour week is (don't go into work after an all-weekend game session without any sleep, it get's... weird)

dgnslyr
2010-11-29, 01:27 AM
...when you consider what you could do as a 20th level Psion.

What was that, jerk? MIND THRUST. MIND THRUST MIND THRUST MIND THRUST.

Kallisti
2010-11-29, 01:40 AM
When you hear people saying PC and think "Oh, hey a fellow nerd" and try to strike up a conversation along those lines. And then it turns out they meant politically correct, or personal computer or something.

That is immensely awkward.

BridgeCity
2010-11-29, 02:06 AM
When people ask me how much something I have purchased cost, such as a drink or the burger I'm eating, I consantly give them the price in gold pieces instead of dollars by mistake.

WeeFreeMen
2010-11-29, 02:14 AM
When your girlfriend tells you shes "MAD" and the only response you can utter is "Shouldn't have rolled a Monk" (In my defense, it was 2am and we just finished DnD :smallredface: )

arguskos
2010-11-29, 02:19 AM
When people ask me how much something I have purchased cost, such as a drink or the burger I'm eating, I consantly give them the price in gold pieces instead of dollars by mistake.
Is it bad that I've given people prices in currency that most D&D players don't even know? I've told someone the price for something was 10 grey ice, or 5 cones, or 1 rainbow and a pair of jinx, or even worse, 3 soul cages. :smallsigh: Waukeen would be proud.

EDIT: All of those are real examples, btws.

GreyMantle
2010-11-29, 02:55 AM

Guilty as charged.

(And, somehow, it work'd out really well...)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-11-29, 03:33 AM

Guilty as charged.

(And, somehow, it work'd out really well...)

I wrote a persuasive essay for school on the legality of White Dragonspawn Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobolds, and once wrote a short story in the form of a recovered religious account of one of the many churches of Pelor.

As well as having D&D dice in a pouch in my pocket, carrying two decks of playing cards in case we ever find another Deck of Many things, getting abbreviations confused with D&D equivalents, being able to stat things from memory, using phrases like "What in the Nine Hells" and "Dear Glasya", having the "I must use that against my players some time" and many other things on this list. And wanting to do some of the things here I haven't yet done (stating prices in gp in particular).

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-11-29, 05:18 AM
I am guilty of most of these, especially saying "What in the nine hells?"

When you realise that each individual die had a mind of its own and you try different methods of rolling it so that is doesn't recognise you.

bartman
2010-11-29, 09:05 AM
My wife works retail, whenever an idiot come through her till, she thinks to herself, "Wow, INT (or CHA) was your dump stat, wasn't it?"

Xiander
2010-11-29, 09:34 AM
I am a level four expert with a sub par con to explain my low hitpoint total, and an unhealthy focus on obscure knowledge skills.

For any non-nerds (whatever they might be doing here...) that means i am a philosophy student on my last year, who thinks to much about D&D :smallbiggrin:

littlekKID
2010-11-29, 09:47 AM
Lol, I've never thought that with HDTV, but I'm always confused for second when someone shortens hard drive.
it happens to me when people start talking about HP (Harry Potter) or AC\DC

big teej
2010-11-29, 10:56 AM
Anytime you see a cool monster in a movie/book/drawing, your second thought (after "wow, that's cool!" of course) is "I must use it against my players sometime".

done this!

like that bit in the new alice in wonderland where the statue breaks apart into the BBEG

I immiedietly said to myself "oooooooh..... I'm throwing that at my players"

Shademan
2010-11-29, 10:59 AM
*spills ink on the floor*
CRITICAL FAILURE! FFFFFUUUUU!
---------
"failed my spot check..."
---------
"HOOOH! THATS A TWENTY!"
---------
*anyone doing anythin martial artsy*
"someone took levels in monk..."

Sipex
2010-11-29, 11:27 AM

This so much.

Also, seeing action sequences and thinking "How could that be run mechanically?"

Halae
2010-11-29, 11:38 AM

... Or think, "How can I play that?"

Electrohydra
2010-11-29, 01:06 PM
When I surprise my friends is call "sneak attack".

Other than that, a few things that have been said already.

Orzel
2010-11-29, 01:27 PM
I call hard sports hits "Favored power leap shock attacks" Especially strong sacks.

grarrrg
2010-11-29, 01:41 PM
You know you think about D&D too much when...

You realize you have max ranks in Bluff, and can pass as "normal".

Worlok
2010-11-29, 01:44 PM
Now, if you excuse me, I have Knowledge (economics) checks to make, followed by Craft (writing).
Just use Bluff to act like you know stuff and Forgery to copy your neighbour's. With a high enough Cha modifier, it should work out. :smallwink:
Yes, I do write up skill-check strategies for real-life-conversations. Does that count? :smalltongue:

"So, what are you doing out here all alone?"
"Putting ranks in Craft (cigarette)."
"U-huh, sure. You don't even have any cigarettes."
"Yeah, failed my check. That's why I'm putting those ranks in there."
"...why are we having this conversation?"
"Roleplaying XP."
"To gain a level and more skill points, I take it?"
"Grats on that Sense Motive roll."
"You're weird."
"Madness Domain, yo."

Halae
2010-11-29, 01:45 PM
When you realize that you are trying to work out your build.

I'd say I'm a human wizard without access to spellbooks. I have a fair wisdom, high intelligence, but the inattentive flaw, so I still get lost in my head most of the time. Probably took that for eschew materials. I hate carrying around pouches of weird random items. Definitely would be either a malkonvoker or an evoker. they just suit me too well...

yeah. I have the whole thing thought out, but that would take too long to type. maybe if I find myself with three or four spare hours

Balain
2010-11-29, 02:22 PM
We were at a house warming party for a friend. One of our group was interested in this girl that said friend invited from her work. So the guy was flirting and trying to make moves when none of the other guys we play with walks up to first guy while he is flirting and says, "Hey remember when your dwarf found that +4 axe and you ....."

megabyter5
2010-11-29, 04:04 PM
I've decided that I am a 3rd level bard with the unfortunate problem of a charisma penalty, and that I took Obtain Familiar as my 3rd level feat.

I'm also fairly certain that Link from the various Legend of Zelda games is a gestalt Bard/Ranger//Paladin, who must have spent a lot of his feats to get Whirlwind Attack (not to mention Devoted Performer and Devoted Tracker). Not the most optimal build, but clearly effective.

Rhuadin
2010-11-29, 04:30 PM
You say you have failed a saving throws against dominate/charm/intimidate when you start dating someone

Uh... what kind of people are you dating?

arguskos
2010-11-29, 04:31 PM
Uh... what kind of people are you dating?
The best kind. :smallcool:

Wings of Peace
2010-11-29, 05:01 PM
When the back of almost every page in your Astronomy 101 notebook posses meticulously detailed character builds.

doctor_wu
2010-11-29, 06:45 PM
When you think of how to make ozone holes with control weather and creation in your air pollution class.

Theodoriph
2010-11-29, 06:46 PM
You know you think about D&D too much when...

...you ignore people who are D&D free on dating websites.

Janus
2010-11-29, 07:04 PM
I commonly think, "Wow, someone failed their spot check," though I blame that more on OotS.

When someone comments on me going out of my way to help another or obey some rule, I've come close to responding, "I'm Lawful Good."

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-29, 08:05 PM
The best kind. :smallcool:

True :smallamused:

When the back of almost every page in your Astronomy 101 notebook posses meticulously detailed character builds.

You won't believe how many build I have in those notebooks... I think I once finished a notebook backwards while writing backstories, or notes on the builds and stuff. My teacher got really mad when I asked for another notebook not even a trimester into the term :smallredface:

dgnslyr
2010-11-29, 08:15 PM
...when you wonder how many of your daily problems you could solve with Mindrape.

Saveducks
2010-11-29, 08:15 PM
I was reading an instructonal deal-y which placed aspects of leadership into 5 different levels and I thought this is stupid everyone knows you can't get leadership until level 6

dgnslyr
2010-11-29, 08:16 PM
...when you wonder how many of your daily problems you could solve with Mindrape.
Or any spell, for that matter.

randomhero00
2010-11-29, 08:23 PM
You're playing in a game, running in a game, and still looking for other games to play in...

I also do the action hero thing, figuring out their class and ac etc.

Also, whenever me or someone else makes some sort of equivelent skill check, I'm like, rolled acrobatics (if I was slipping) :smallbiggrin:

Another one I recently did was ask my friend why he didn't take linguistics when he had trouble speaking to a foreign client.

Oh, and I constantly think of what other peoples IRL alignment would be as well as fictional characters (which goes without saying really)

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-29, 08:45 PM
Or any spell, for that matter.

I prefer modify memory It's less evil, and I get to see what I'm screwing with :smallbiggrin:

dgnslyr
2010-11-29, 08:47 PM
But it's Bard-only, and you only get five minutes to play with.

Mindrape, on the other hand...

grarrrg
2010-11-29, 08:54 PM

Umm. If you wonder "how many" then you aren't thinking about D&D enough.

Mindrape solves everything.

randomhero00
2010-11-29, 08:55 PM
Umm. If you wonder "how many" then you aren't thinking about D&D enough.

Mindrape solves everything.

but its eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvillllllllllllllllll.

Trystane_Insane
2010-11-29, 09:11 PM
Due to OotS, I've done the 'saying things relating to ability scores' ones and also had a conversation with a fellow nerd about whether Ferengi from Star Trek are LE or not. Few things like that.

I'm going to start naming prices in gp's (Well, sp's or cp's are more likely for drinks), and have been tempted for a while to grafitti somewhere in my school "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning." Keep posting, I need more ideas! :D

Mordrigar
2010-11-29, 09:19 PM
When reading a book i find myself while thinking about character's actions in game mechanics: their rolls, class levels and sometimes even feats lol.

"Oh Hamlet, you've failed on a Fort save." :smallbiggrin:

Tuataralad
2010-11-29, 09:27 PM
I remember watching a game of chess and wondering why none of the pieces were bothering to take opportunity attacks.

Demons_eye
2010-11-29, 09:41 PM
When I walk I try to count how fast I am going in six seconds to determine my base land speed.

When I enter I room I look around for improvised weapons.

When I fall or slip I think 'Failed my balance check there'

When I miscount things I think 'Failed my balance check there'

When I drive I can't help but think that you should get more then a +2 when charging with a car.

Saying nine hells and playing it off as a DnD reference

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-29, 10:22 PM
to be fair, some of us were scanning the room for improv weapons before we ever saw our first D&D rule book.

dragonfan6490
2010-11-29, 10:50 PM
When my buddy and I go to the movies, we spend the entire movie relating something about the movie to D&D.

Example 1: We spent the duration of Sweeney Todd cataloging the alignments of the major characters. i.e. Sweeney Todd starts off as Chaotic Good, then shifts to Chaotic Neutral, and finally Chaotic Evil. Mrs. Lovette is Lawful Neutral, with hints of Lawful Evil, in that she corrupts Todd. The Bailey and Judge Turkin are both Lawful Evil with bents toward Lawful Neutral.

Example 2: The new Robin Hood with Russell Crowe. The entire movie is an E6 martial campaign, with Robin and his companions as the core party, Marion as Robin's player's girlfriend who joined the game just to be with her boyfriend, and Friar Tuck as one of the player's friends who joined half way through the campaign and doesn't show up to half of the sessions anyway.

flabort
2010-11-29, 11:17 PM
Not so bad if you're majoring in math and probabilities, or programing, or some other math-heavy whatchamacalit.

I remember watching a game of chess and wondering why none of the pieces were bothering to take opportunity attacks.

En pasaunt. (probly spelt it wrong, it's a french word)

Remember how a pawns first move can be two spaces? and how it can only capture diagonally forward? well, if one player uses the first move to rush past where an enemy pawn can capture it, the opponent can capture it anyways as if it'd only moved once.

While not an extra move or attack, it's pretty close. closest you'll get to an AoO.

AstralFire
2010-11-29, 11:18 PM
en passant.

Balain
2010-11-29, 11:21 PM
You make treasure type O jokes

Siosilvar
2010-11-29, 11:23 PM
Does that make the fact that I have an OD&D 3rd printing set not five feet away from me at this very second some ancient geezer or something? It's about as old as RPGs get. :smallconfused:

And I thought my copies of 1st printing Moldvay B/X were old...

Actually, they're technically newer than the 6th printing 1e Player's Handbooks next to them.

flabort
2010-11-29, 11:24 PM
Goo. Gah.
Actually, you aren't old until you dig up that copy of chainmail with the original one char adventure

Shyftir
2010-11-30, 12:08 AM
When your girlfriend tells you shes "MAD" and the only response you can utter is "Shouldn't have rolled a Monk" (In my defense, it was 2am and we just finished DnD :smallredface: )

Did you get hit with an Unarmed Strike after that?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-11-30, 12:09 AM
When you listen to music and think, "Wow this fits my character perfectly! I will write a five page background about this song for him/her." And you actually do it...

Did you get hit with an Unarmed Strike after that?

Probably but it was most likely accompanied with words of madness.

Zain
2010-11-30, 12:18 AM
When your talking to Someone who doesn't play D&D, or any RPG for that matter, then making a gaming joke, one example of that being "well that's a good Cause for SAN loss"

Seriously, I need to stop doing that. >.>

Echoes
2010-11-30, 09:53 AM
When you think the terms "RAW" and "RAI" can be applied to debates outside the discussion of tabletop sourcebooks. I've gotten a few looks when I've told people that they're using arguments that cherrypick qualities between a RAW and RAI reading of an encyclopedic definition.

AstralFire
2010-11-30, 09:58 AM
When you think the terms "RAW" and "RAI" can be applied to debates outside the discussion of tabletop sourcebooks. I've gotten a few looks when I've told people that they're using arguments that cherrypick qualities between a RAW and RAI reading of an encyclopedic definition.

Psst: You're looking for 'letter of the law' and 'spirit of the law.'

Orzel
2010-11-30, 10:45 AM
When you attempt to find the bard levels of RL musicians.

Then try to stat up people and items in their song.

I now have to use Universe Man's watch as a McGuffin.

megabyter5
2010-11-30, 11:57 AM
When you attempt to find the bard levels of RL musicians.

Then try to stat up people and items in their song.

I now have to use Universe Man's watch as a McGuffin.

Every 1000 years, the Millennium Hand activates and reveals the locations of the other two hands, which have been lost since time immemorial. The Minute Hand is an artifact rod usable once a minute. The Eon Hand has the power to reshape the world as its wielder sees fit. If all three Hands are united on the clock face, Universe Man shall rise and usher in a new and glorious age for all eternity. But the evil Triangle Man doesn't want that to happen...

Orzel
2010-11-30, 01:43 PM
Every 1000 years, the Millennium Hand activates and reveals the locations of the other two hands, which have been lost since time immemorial. The Minute Hand is an artifact rod usable once a minute. The Eon Hand has the power to reshape the world as its wielder sees fit. If all three Hands are united on the clock face, Universe Man shall rise and usher in a new and glorious age for all eternity. But the evil Triangle Man doesn't want that to happen...

+1
Now I have to do it. And create a church/cult for each.

Sipex
2010-11-30, 01:44 PM
To be fair, I would play any campaigns based on a "They might be giants" song.

randomhero00
2010-11-30, 02:19 PM

hahah omg, that's my favorite one. And I just realized I do this too on occasion.

Another one: You try to dress and grow your hair subtly in a way that you like your characters to look. (such as long hair on guys, flowing dresses on girls, etc.)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-11-30, 04:52 PM
I caught myself doing this earlier today. I was writing a backtory for a character and started doing calculations by RAW to see if what I was doing was possible.

big teej
2010-11-30, 05:03 PM
hahah omg, that's my favorite one. And I just realized I do this too on occasion.

Another one: You try to dress and grow your hair subtly in a way that you like your characters to look. (such as long hair on guys, flowing dresses on girls, etc.)

guilty :smallredface:
I grew out a goatee and once I discovered that my beard grows in naturally like 6 different colors I was like 'I WANT MY DWARF TO HAVE A BEARD LIKE THIS!!!!'

it was a happy day...

Kyrthain
2010-11-30, 05:57 PM
guilty :smallredface:
I grew out a goatee and once I discovered that my beard grows in naturally like 6 different colors I was like 'I WANT MY DWARF TO HAVE A BEARD LIKE THIS!!!!'

it was a happy day...

Hooray for super beard!

bokodasu
2010-11-30, 06:11 PM
You think about rolling your crafting check when actually crafting.

Bonus points if it's Craft: Tiny Lipstick-Tube Dice Holder. You know, in case you're at a cocktail party and a D&D game breaks out.

big teej
2010-11-30, 06:32 PM
You think about rolling your crafting check when actually crafting.

Bonus points if it's Craft: Tiny Lipstick-Tube Dice Holder. You know, in case you're at a cocktail party and a D&D game breaks out.

-sets down drink-

I'll be right back guys, I've got half my sourcebooks, my DM screen, and dice in the car. brb

Kelb_Panthera
2010-11-30, 09:44 PM
I prefer modify memory It's less evil, and I get to see what I'm screwing with :smallbiggrin:

I feel extra "special" because it took me an entire day to realize I meant programmed amnesia not modify memory.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-12-01, 04:21 AM
When you think that everything would be easier if you could use your character's massive Bluff/Diplomacy check to talk your way out of any situation.

Psyren
2010-12-01, 10:27 AM
This:

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/strips/2005-12-07.jpg

doctor_wu
2010-12-01, 11:34 AM
When you are seriously tempted to name a function in your homework for programming class detectMagic.

Shadowleaf
2010-12-01, 12:24 PM
Let's see.. Most of this stuff, I only do when around gamers. Not because I'm embaressed or anything, I just don't want to ruin a perfectly good joke/punchline/pun.

Botch: Throwing an object with hilariously bad aim, tripping over your own legs, trying to talk up a girl only to get smacked in the face, etc. all qualify for a loud and obnoxious "BOTCH!"

Crit: Reversed botch. Catching a pen midair with your eyes closed, hitting dead center with a snowball, etc.

Horrible, horrible D&D puns/jokes: "I failed my fort save" when getting sick, "Gotta get that expert level" when going to school, "I'm a Warlock baby, I can just keep going!" when.. Cleaning. Yea. Cleaning.

Analyzing builds: Real-life people, movie characters of all genres, game characters, etc.

Referencing rules in RL situations: "Come on, everyone knows you can't die from drowning.. It's the fact you can't stop drowning that's the problem!".
I am so going to use the line "Come on, no one wants to deal with Grapple rules" before getting into a brawl one day.

Thought exercises: "If I had three first level spells, what would they be?" "Would I rather be a Sorcerer or a Wizard?"

And probably many more I do not realize myself.

Noedig
2010-12-01, 02:28 PM
Im gonna go with the fight scene choreographing. I constantly due that at the university atrium where my friends and I hang.
Like today I was contemplating taking a running leap off the second floor balcony onto a suspicious looking guy, roll off of him on impact, and gut his equally suspicious friend with a plastic knife I was using as I came to my feet.

Issues. I have them.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-12-01, 03:50 PM
Im gonna go with the fight scene choreographing. I constantly due that at the university atrium where my friends and I hang.
Like today I was contemplating taking a running leap off the second floor balcony onto a suspicious looking guy, roll off of him on impact, and gut his equally suspicious friend with a plastic knife I was using as I came to my feet.

Issues. I have them.

As both a suspicious guy and a man with issues I can assure you that a plastic knife, at least the plastic butter knives, can do a lot of damage.

Story for those interested:

I accidentally sent my cousin to the hospital when we were "wrestling." Apparently those blades can be sharp. Slashed his arm from elbow to wrist. If I'd been a D&Der back then I totally would have shouted "SNEAK ATTACK!" For those who might care, he was fine, just a few stitches. And we were... I think 5 and 6 or 6 and 7.

Shyftir
2010-12-01, 04:30 PM
You wish you could cast sleep on yourself on restless nights.

rubycona
2010-12-01, 04:56 PM
I think I've referenced every single skill check, IE...

Lock doors in car: "Damn it, if only I had ranks in Disable Device!"
Missed something: "I failed my spot/listen/perception check," or "I've got a -10 to spot checks if it's not shiny or doesn't have dragons on it."
"Sorry, Knowledge(Local) isn't a class skill for me. I've got some ranks in Knowledge(Religion) if it helps?"

Stat References:

"Don't mind me, Wisdom is my dump stat."
"Met a new guy today... he's interesting. Great Cha, but seriously low Int."

Dice References:

"Yeah, yeah, laugh all you want, so I rolled a one... it happens 1/20 times to everybody."
"Now THAT was a Nat 20! Beautiful!"

Saves References:

I love this one, and say it all the time: "Pretty Kitty is using her Charisma to Dominate me! I've got a -10 to Will Saves vs Kitties! I'm doomed! *pets the kitty*"
I'm Constantly referring to saves. It's got to be my most common D&D "slip."

Random stuff, like something that happened with my roommate. He works at a retail store, and was trying to explain how a coupon works to the customers. He kept saying, "The discounts don't stack," but it took him like 5 minutes to realize they had no clue what he was talking about. I've done that plenty of times, too.

It's easy to forget that D&D lingo isn't standard fare for people, sometimes.

I've done most of the above, as well. "What in the 9 Hells...?" is a pretty common one.

Reynard
2010-12-01, 05:01 PM
Random stuff, like something that happened with my roommate. He works at a retail store, and was trying to explain how a coupon works to the customers. He kept saying, "The discounts don't stack," but it took him like 5 minutes to realize they had no clue what he was talking about. I've done that plenty of times, too.

It's easy to forget that D&D lingo isn't standard fare for people, sometimes.

This actually... isn't that hard to understand. It's fairly clear what he means, but I know how dense customers can be.

Halae
2010-12-01, 05:05 PM
This actually... isn't that hard to understand. It's fairly clear what he means, but I know how dense customers can be.

Oh gods yes. I remember working in sport mart. one half of the store is shoes, the other half is everything else, and the counter is near the front of the store, right in between these two halves. one morning, a customer walks in, and asks, "Do you guys sell shoes?"

I look at him.

I look at the shoes.

I look at him.

I look at the shoes.

Back to him.

"I'm sorry sir, we don't carry those."

"Alright, thank you" and he turned and walked away.

Then my buddy comes up and says "Not exactly optimized for spot, was he?"

"Nope. probably took inattentive with wisdom as a dump."

Reynard
2010-12-01, 05:18 PM
-snip-

Customer: "Do you sell iPods?"

Me: *Looks at the iPod display, one foot to my left, on the counter.*

Me: "I'm not sure, let me check."

Customer: "Okay, thanks."

Me: *Walks off, spends a minute laughing in the stock room.*

One of my co-workers came in a little later, also giggling.

Me: "iPod guy?"

Him: "iPod guy."

marius\tobius
2010-12-01, 09:17 PM
hanging out with the anime fanatics and despereratly trying not to build their homemade characters and trying even harder not to ask them to play them

bokodasu
2010-12-01, 09:25 PM
You wish you could cast sleep on yourself on restless nights.

You wish you could cast sleep on your kids, every night.

Worlok
2010-12-02, 05:59 AM
You wish you could cast sleep on yourself on restless nights.You wish you could cast sleep on your kids, every night.
Alternatively, silence on your painfully snoring roommate. :smallsigh:

grimbold
2010-12-02, 11:10 AM
when you are playing a common board game and you say "im just going to house rule that...."
You try to calculate the build of rock stars