PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed For Alternate D20 Modern Currency system

Itous
2010-11-28, 07:29 PM
hi all i'm trying to work on a new currency system for a d20 modern campaign setting i have come up with

basicly its a varient of the gold silver copper system

gold is called gold
silver is called silver
copper is called = bit(s)

heres how the currency works

10 bits = 1 silver, 100 silver = 1 gold

that is the coined version of the currency.

the noted version of the currency is called "shell(s)" (named after some ancient tribes which still trade in shells)

so you may have a 1 shell note, worth....50 gold, the colour of each peice of paper is diffrent

a purple shell represents the gold currency
a blue and yellow shell represents the silver currency

aka

"you see a purple shell worth 99 gold" or
"you see a blue and yellow shell worth 87 silver" its just a faster way or carrying round large bulks of change.

now before i go any further, i will like to say now my problem is trying to value things i am trying to make it so it has a very "late 80's / early 90's" feel to it, so 1 million is alot of money as in people are like "i'd kill my family for that kind of money" type area

so 1 million would buy you a mansion for a home, or make you a major stock investor, things like that, but i personally cannot find a way to scale it.

i cannot scale the modern world with the 3.5 gold system thus the tweeking,
i don't mind working in dollars but i prefer not to AND i CAN'T STAND AT ALL the whole purchase DC thing.

if anyone can help me i will be very very grateful.

Kind Regards

Itous

Mulletmanalive
2010-11-28, 08:35 PM
I suggest using one silver = one dollar and then looking up some prices from the early 90s.

This can probably be found on the internet or perhaps you could search for stuff from the splatbooks from WoD 1e, which had a vast collection of prices for more or less everything.

And before you worry, 10,000 gold is a lot of gold to your million. Unrealistic amounts NOW, let alone in the 80s with corrupt gold flooding the market...

Itous
2010-11-29, 05:02 AM
intresting i shall do that now